• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Fulton Armory FAR-308 lower - ? parts needed

M198gunner

LtCol
Minuteman
Jul 27, 2012
CONUS Southeast
I have a stripped Fulton Armory FAR-308 lower receiver that I want to build up. I have never built a lower so this will be my first. Getting the parts together as I am currently overseas and will work on this upon my return.

So looking for builders expertise.

The question I have is what are the internal parts required to build up this lower to include what uppers will fit this lower? Note: I want to use high quality parts as I do not intend to get another rifle like this.

I have a Timney AR-10 small pin .154" 4lb single stage solid trigger and Magpul UBR stock already to use in this build. The rifle will eventually be a 308 battle rifle.

If this has already been asked I am sorry.

Re: Fulton Armory FAR-308 lower - ? parts needed

1) Upper receiver - any DPMS-pattern upper receiver should work with only a few exceptions. The Fulton Titan uppers are actually quite nice as should mate up well with your existing Titan lower. They can be had in traditional charging handle, as well as side-charging models, depending on your preference (but you'll need a side-charging carrier if you go that route).

2) Lower parts - you seem to be ok on your trigger group which will work well on the Titan lower. The UBR stock can be used as well, but you will need a specific, shortened .308 carbine buffer and buffer spring to run in the UBR's entry-size receiver extension/ buffer tube. Those can be had from the following source...the first and the best for such items: http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html

As for "other" lower parts, a DPMS LR-308 lower parts kit will work just fine.

You can always upgrade to higher end components like ambi-selectors/safeties, etc. too depending on your particular wants/needs. Also, don't forget a grip of your choice.
wink.gif

More info than you may have wanted/needed, but nevertheless...safe return home soon and best of luck with your build.

ORD,

Thanks for the info, you can never know to much.

Will be getting the recommended buffer, any preference on the 5.6 vs the 6.5 ounce? I have a shoulder issue so prefer less recoil and it states the 6.5 does this. Just looking for advice or reason to stay away from one

When you say DPMS pattern what are some of these receiver types that are quality built? Or, what would you use?

Also, I have a fulton armory FAR 5.56 lower. What will fit this? Would a seekins fit?

Finally, what barrel for the 308? Are their standard ones the fit a DPMS pattern upper or will any barrels work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Artillerygunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ORD,

Thanks for the info, you can never know to much.

Will be getting the recommended buffer, any preference on the 5.6 vs the 6.5 ounce? I have a shoulder issue so prefer less recoil and it states the 6.5 does this. Just looking for advice or reason to stay away from one.

<span style="color: #FF0000">I run the XH (6.5oz) buffers in all of my carbines more than anything because they get run suppressed from time to time and the heavier buffer really works its magic at that point. That said, the same buffer will function 100% reliably when shooting unsuppressed as well on all of the loads I have tried. It will give you an edge in terms of perceived recoil reduction too as compared to the lighter buffer. Combine that heavier buffer with an adjustable gas block to fine tune the gun to your ammo, etc., and you can really get the recoil toned down some and you can get the gun operating at an optimum level.</span>

When you say DPMS pattern what are some of these receiver types that are quality built? Or, what would you use?

<span style="color: #FF0000">When I say DPMS-pattern, I mean: DPMS, Fulton Titan, IRA, JD Machine, SI Defense, Tactical Machine (or Machining...can't recall which), and POF (but you'll need conversion sleeves/pins to attach that upper to your lower)...there are likely others, but that's a start.</span>

Also, I have a fulton armory FAR 5.56 lower. What will fit this? Would a seekins fit?

<span style="color: #FF0000">The nice thing about AR-15s across the board is that they are mil-spec guns. Any company's AR-15 upper will work on any other company's AR-15 lower (but for some Colts where pin sizes changed over the years...modern production Colt uppers will work without a hitch). That means you can certainly run a Seekins upper on your Fulton 5.56 lower.</span>

Finally, what barrel for the 308? Are their standard ones the fit a DPMS pattern upper or will any barrels work?

<span style="color: #FF0000">There are DPMS-pattern and Armalite/AR-10 pattern barrels...and there are more than a few mfgs so I won't list them all here. Just be sure to stick with a DPMS-pattern barrel with a DPMS barrel extension and run a DPMS-pattern bolt/carrier and you'll be fine.</span></div></div>

See above in <span style="color: #FF0000">RED</span>.

Thanks for the info, now off to the internet to start locating all the parts, that is not at the inflated rate. Might be a tough one at this point but I have time.

Thanks again, truly appreciated.