• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Fundamentals of Marksmanship.

Re: Fundamentals of Marksmanship.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good thread. One thing I didn't see mentioned that is likely my biggest obstacle is to simply slowwwwwwwwww downnnnnnnnnn. I shoot several times per week but I'm always under an artificially self-imposed time crunch to get in and out of the range.

When I slow down and think of nothing except a good day of shooting everything comes together and I've got game. When I bring the rest of my life to the range with me, not so much. Shooting is a lot like golf in many regards...its a lot more mental than people think. When I screw up the mechanics, it's not because I don't know or understand them, its because I allow other factors to cause me to forget to apply them.</div></div>

For some, just getting into position, it seems, will get their adrenaline going to such an extent that it precludes any sort of useful thought on the matters of marksmanship. And, no doubt, for a shooter just coming out of a class on marksmanship and onto the range, an anxious state can make it difficult putting it all together, especially if they've allowed themselves to become overwhelmed by it all. This is the reason for mental management, a procedure/process to keep the shooter from just shooting to get it over with.

My MM is pretty simple. First, there's sight alignment, followed by adjustment of NPA, and then, focus on the sight, followed by smooth trigger control, and follow through. That's it, with only the order of events being critical to success. And, when the MM process/procedure has become habit, phrases like "slow down" are no longer part of the lexicon, since slowing down is no longer a viable concept. That's good, since good shooting should not depend, or require a shooter to slow down. In fact, in certain scenarios, fast and good simultaneously is essential.

Awesome post. It is highly recommended for new shooters as well as a refresher for others. Thanks again.

This post I think will be very beneficial to me. I'm relatively new to shooting scoped rifles and I think that focusing on the points outlined above will help me in sharpening my shooting skills and performance at extended ranges. Thanks for the great post!

In addition to everything that has been posted here I have come to the conclusion that I need a mentor. I can only do so much from my perspective which thanks to many of you folks is quite a bit. I just don't think it is enough without an experienced eye holding me to the fundamentals.

Throw in the distractions life can throw your way from time to time and mastering these techniques really can be challenging!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...I have come to the conclusion that I need a mentor.</div></div>

I started studying Japanese martial arts about (cough) five and a half decades ago. It is commonly accepted in those arts that what one can learn on one's own is limited, and one needs an instructor, at least from time to time.

There is one art I no longer even practice, because no instructor lives within a reasonable driving distance, and I would rather not practice at all than practice without proper guidance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have come to the conclusion that I need a mentor.</div></div>We all do. The trick, as always, is in picking the best people. None of my shooting instructors live within a reasonable driving distance. That's why I drive fourteen hundred miles to spend time with Lindy, Frank and Jacob.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeffersonv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In addition to everything that has been posted here I have come to the conclusion that I need a mentor. I can only do so much from my perspective which thanks to many of you folks is quite a bit. I just don't think it is enough without an experienced eye holding me to the fundamentals.

Throw in the distractions life can throw your way from time to time and mastering these techniques really can be challenging! </div></div>

Try LowLight's (Frank) on Sniper's Hide Online Training as a resource as well.

Yes I have learned a lot from the online training. I still need a mentor. I'm sure there's one on every corner in So. Cal. so it shouldn't be a problem.

Fantastic post. My biggest problem is harsh winters and no decent range to shoot at in the winter.
When you can only shoot in the spring, summer and a little bit of fall, you have to start all over when the good weather comes.
Dry firing helps as does a pellet rifle in the back yard when it's not too cold or too much wind blowing. I do like shooting in the wind with the pellet gun if it's not too bad. You have to correct so much more with a pellet gun, it can throw you off when shooting a regular rifle.

John K

A good air rifle is excellant practice because you need to have good concentration and your follow through has to be much better than with a high power rifle. Small bore and air is a great tool for winter practice.

Thank you for all those informations. I think that practice is important but most of all, if one practices without an external guide, it could lead to have bad habits and it is difficult to change a bad habit, more difficult than to learn a good habit at first.

Great write up and equally great thread. The comments have been very interesting and helpful. I'm going to take this to the range and break some of those bad habits I just realized I have. I have a lot more reading to do...Thanks folks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: duaneb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good air rifle is excellant practice </div></div> Couldn't agree more. I shoot air rifle almost daily. Best thing about it is you can set up a range practically anywhere including indoors. Squirrels fear me LOL

Thanks to the OP and all that have added valuable info since. I am new to precision rifle shooting, and I haven't found a greather wealth of info or a better group of guys anywhere-

awesome sticky! a good quote that i recently read simply stated regarding the importance of fundamentals was "brilliance in the basics" ~someone at tigerswan i think....

Kudos to you sir. This is the stuff <span style="text-decoration: underline">everyone</span> can use.
Train. Train. Train.

Thanks alot for this - Im new to shooting and never had or have anyone to teach me so this is a great resource that im thankful to have.

best thing I learned while at Storm MOuntain was to let go all of my breath as opposed to the way I learned to let go half. Also the concept of "lying down on the gun like a wet rag. Made a huge difference in my shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dwd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">best thing I learned while at Storm MOuntain was to let go all of my breath as opposed to the way I learned to let go half. Also the concept of "lying down on the gun like a wet rag. Made a huge difference in my shooting.</div></div>

The appropriate description is "natural respiratory pause".

I have to try the lying down on the gun like a wet rag thing. I think that will improve my shooting. Thanks for the tip.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dwd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">best thing I learned while at Storm MOuntain was to let go all of my breath as opposed to the way I learned to let go half. Also the concept of "lying down on the gun like a wet rag. Made a huge difference in my shooting. </div></div>

Can you explain controlling the rifle after the shot a bit more, sometimes when I shoot, the rifle kick moves my scope off target and to the right (I am a right hand shooter). I think that my hold or body position must be off somehow, and that causes the movement so I no longer can see the target after the shot (100 Yd shots)

Thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The novice shooter believes the scope describes where the barrel is pointed when the only thing for sure is that it describes a relationship between the reticle and target. With any parallax, anything less than a consistent perspective of aim will deceive the shooter that his aim is on target while the bore is actually pointed someplace else.

The bipod is a steady rest but, unless control of the rifle is maintained until recoil subsides, a divergent arc/angle effect of the line of bore at rest and the line of bore at bullet exit will set the bullet on a course somewhere other than where aimed. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BattleAxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good thread. One thing I didn't see mentioned that is likely my biggest obstacle is to simply slowwwwwwwwww downnnnnnnnnn. I shoot several times per week but I'm always under an artificially self-imposed time crunch to get in and out of the range.

When I slow down and think of nothing except a good day of shooting everything comes together and I've got game. When I bring the rest of my life to the range with me, not so much. Shooting is a lot like golf in many regards...its a lot more mental than people think. When I screw up the mechanics, it's not because I don't know or understand them, its because I allow other factors to cause me to forget to apply them. </div></div>

Good post, BattleAxe!!!
When working with friends on shooting technique, I tell them shooting is a Zen thing. You have to get to a different mindset/plateau.

My rifle coach at the University of Georgia was a two tour Viet Nam veteran who's spent some time in the bush with a Redfield topped Remington 700. He sort of took to me because I'd grown up in the woods shooting. I guess he knew that I sort of understood things on a very basic, but intense level with respect to discipline and self control.

He was a DAMNED FINE instructor!

He was a good ole east Tennessee boy. I'd be practicing and he'd say, "Elroy (always called me "Elroy"), just thank of your rifle if it wuz yer pecker and ya got only one chance to put it in her hole!"

Don't have a freakin clue as to the meaning of the analogy, but I guess I sort of understood what he was talking about.

Great post, it should be required reading, & it probably is read by those who want to learn how to consistantly hit a certian place on the target, instead of "the target"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trajectory_student</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you explain controlling the rifle after the shot a bit more, sometimes when I shoot, the rifle kick moves my scope off target and to the right (I am a right hand shooter). I think that my hold or body position must be off somehow, and that causes the movement so I no longer can see the target after the shot (100 Yd shots)

Thanks in advance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The novice shooter believes the scope describes where the barrel is pointed when the only thing for sure is that it describes a relationship between the reticle and target. With any parallax, anything less than a consistent perspective of aim will deceive the shooter that his aim is on target while the bore is actually pointed someplace else.

The bipod is a steady rest but, unless control of the rifle is maintained until recoil subsides, a divergent arc/angle effect of the line of bore at rest and the line of bore at bullet exit will set the bullet on a course somewhere other than where aimed. </div></div></div></div>

Step one: shoulder the rifle without consideration for the target, that's to say, do not steer the rifle to get a target/reticle relationship. Instead, relax into the position for where ever the barrel is pointed, being cognisant of the 5 factors for a steady position. Then, align eyepiece to eyeball, maintaining alignment by resting the full weight of the head on the stock for a muscularly relaxed stock-weld.. BTW, you may need to build up or tear down the comb of the stock to get an ideal stock weld.

Step two: adjust NPA to get the target/reticle relationship (hold) which you are seeking.

Step three: focus on sight (if you're using irons).

Step four: smooth trigger control

Step five: follow-through, continuing to aim until recoil has subsided.

Now, you must realize the rifle will recoil and this recoil produces an angle and arc from bore at rest and bore as bullet clears the barrel. By making the five factors of a steady position consistent shot to shot, and by following-through, simply controlling the rifle until recoil has ceased, you will promote angle/arc consistency shot to shot. And thus, having minimized angular error, good hits will be better assured at distance where the effect of any angular error would mean a misplaced shot.

Two things that will immediately improve your shooting: don't steer the rifle to the target, instead, adjust NPA to get you there; and, rather than using a bipod initially, place your non-firing hand on the hand-guard and use a sand bag support. This procedure will allow for a more relaxed position. Alternative techniques, such as when using a sling or bipod, when made correct, are initially somewhat unnatural and, being uncomfortable, will require the assistance of a coach or mentor to make the shooter confident of the strained course of action.

BODY TO THE STOCK:

Push (crawl) up your entire body to get proper shoulder support for the stock. Don't merely muscle your shoulder up to it. You want relaxed support, not muscled support.

It's STOCK TO HEAD, then, placement of the butt into the pocket formed in the shoulder. This procedure assures proper sight alignment, as well as a consistent perspective of aim. If the rifle is first shouldered, and then, the head brought to the stock, a multitude of errors can be forecast.

This is great, but I think can be simplified.

1. Position
2. Sight Picture
3. Breathing
4. Trigger Control
5. Follow Through

Practice this... think about this... BUT, when you shoot your weapon, FLUSH this and remember BRAS

Breath
Relax
Aim
Squeeze

One of the most common mistakes of marksmanship is Over Concentration. Make it muscle memory, and then BRAS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackbeard7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is great, but I think can be simplified.

1. Position
2. Sight Picture
3. Breathing
4. Trigger Control
5. Follow Through

Practice this... think about this... BUT, when you shoot your weapon, FLUSH this and remember BRAS

Breath
Relax
Aim
Squeeze

One of the most common mistakes of marksmanship is Over Concentration. Make it muscle memory, and then BRAS.</div></div>

It is utterly simple; yet, elusive. Also, today's training, it appears, has abandoned discussion about breathing, since science suggests if we are not thinking about breathing we will indeed shoot during the natural respiratory pause. In addition, at least in the USAMU's SDM course, the fundamentals are now broken down into facts about the two principles of marksmanship and everything else that supports those principles. The principles describe how to properly point the rifle with consistent sight alignment, and pull the trigger without disturbing aim using smooth trigger control. The "everything else" describes the shooter's relationship between, gun, and ground, as well as external ballistics/zeroing, wind and weather effects/counters, and shooter/target analysis.

To prevent a shooter from becoming overwhelmed by it all, as he attempts to apply what he has come to understand is important to good shooting, the integrated act of firing may be broken down step by step for the student: shoulder the rifle (cognisant of the 5 factors to a steady position) without consideration for target and align sights or eyepiece to eyeball, adjust natural point of aim, establishing desired target hold, focus on sight (irons), smooth trigger control, and follow through. This process is similar to dated instruction on the matter, but eliminates thought about breathing.

When the shooter focuses on the sight and follows through, the shot may be called, which, in correlation to the actual strike of the bullet, helps to identify the source of errors. Diagnosis of shooter error early in the course of training can help the shooter get off to a good start on picture and motor memory development.

BTW, the word SMOOTH best describes what is sought when pulling the trigger, not SQUEEZE. Regarding BRAS, it sounds good, but training results suggest it is not the teaching aid it is alluded to be. I have not seen any reference to it in any modern advanced military rifle marksmanship training materials which have come across my desk; yet, I'm sure, it's still being regurgitated by some instructors somewhere who have not become acquainted with modern and more efficient marksmanship curriculums. One more thing, faulty analysis often blames vertical group dispersion on "breathing" when in fact the vertical group is much more likely to be caused by perspective of aim inconsistency. This means it's essential that students have coaches who can properly analyze shooter/target error. Coaches who can not come to the aid of the student may preclude the student's success, since bad analysis is worse than no analysis at all.

i rather enjoyed this read, and learned a few pointers, will deff go try out some dry runs later on.

Great topic, a lot of really great info, thanks to everyone for taking the time to share everything.

Looks like this is still getting some attention, so I would add:

Mental Aspect:
Some people would probably put the mental aspect into the "Advanced Category" in terms of shooting skills, but IMHO if you don't start addressing the mental aspect with the basics you will be fighting an uphill battle backwards.

One school of thought on the key mental aspects,
1. Relaxation
2. Visualization
3. Mental Rehearsal
4. Focusing
5. Positive Affirmation

http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/Tom_Redhead-IntroMentalTraining.pdf

There are also others out there, if you do a search you will find many more articles, books, and training materials out there on the mental aspect of shooting. See below:

http://mentalmanagement.ipower.com/catalog/products-sport/rifle-and-pistol

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/Books/

A lot of shooters don't want to deal with the "Psychological Mumbo Jumbo", but it is not that far out there or hard to grasp & apply if you look at it from at least a basic level.

Coaching / Learning:
Per many comments above, you will only make it so far if you are left to shoot by yourself. Find out what you have for local NRA / CMP shooting programs.

http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx

http://www.odcmp.com/Clubs/searchclubs.htm

Attend whatever events that you can, with the following purposes in mind:
- Making Contacts, many of the older/experienced shooters will voluntarily help you with your shooting if you simply ask. They may not be able to do much with you at a match, but in many cases they will be more than happy to meet and work with you outside of matches.
- Learning From Others, show up to a match with no intention to shoot, just keep your eyes and ears open, and pay close attention to what the best shooters are doing. Also talk to those shooters on breaks or after the match. Bear in mind, some will be very open and helpful, other may not be for various reasons. If you watch the shooters, it is usually not hard to figure out who is open to talking and sharing.
- Any Structured Shooting Is Beneficial, while you may not have any interest in a long career shooting NRA High Power or Long Range, shooting those matches or clinics will give you an opportunity to focus on and practice the fundamentals of marksmanship in a structured setting.

I hate to say it, but some of those events can have an "Expert" who will be more than happy to tell you exactly what you need to do, so just make sure that the people that you are watching and talking to have the appropriate scores / ranking!

Get an “Outside Perspective”
People may look at you funny when you show up to the range, but setup a video camera and record yourself from various angles while you are shooting. Get overall views of your body position/mechanics, get close-up on your trigger manipulation, etc. At a minimum you can go back and look at what you were ACTUALLY doing while you were shooting versus what you THOUGHT you were doing while shooting. You can then also take this video and show it to other more experienced/qualified shooters for their feedback.

It should go without saying, you can’t build upward with any success unless you have a very strong and well developed foundation.

Speaking from personal experience “Training Scars” which develop when you practice incorrectly can be hell to get rid of, so it is always best to start slow and make sure that you are covering everything correctly from the start. Per a comment/quote above, "practice does not make perfect, practice makes permanent, only perfect practice makes perfect".

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

Freakin great... fundamentals are often forgotten... you explain with enough detail to write a novel.. wish i had this years ago before i learned all my bad habits

As in all athletic skills:
> Scientifically recorded training aids analysis.
> Analysis aids repeatable success.

Data books are only records of consistency or lack of it. But training with scientific coaching (coaching based on repetition of fundamentals) is the basis for consistency in data boooks.
And self-coaching only takes you so far... Videoing yourself helps but a good coach is invaluable.

Hey all, first timer here, getting in to distance shooting and have a good knowledge base to work on, but the one issue I have yet to find info on is how to control, or otherwise allow for, heart beats. I saw a show on some channel or another years ago stating that snipers learn to control heart rates (somehow)!
I've been noticing my reticle bouncing in rhythm with my heart beats and try to slow down my shots, take deeper breaths and relax, but trying to time the shot results in a rushed shot and poor results.
I think I know what I need to work on as far as the other fundamentals are concerned, but this issue seems to be stumping me, and I can't seem to learn much on the subject.
Any help pointing me in the right direction or a tip or two would be greatly appreciated.

You might be supporting the rifle with some muscle so try to relax into your bone/artificial support. Concentrate on position consistency rather than your breathing. In fact, you should put thoughts about breathing in their proper place which is no thoughts at all about breathing, since you will naturally shoot during your respiratory pause, unless prompted to watch your breathing.

Thanks for the input.
I shoot off a bench for now, working on fundamentals and dialing in. Scope, trigger and BOSS seem to be working together properly, and as usual, the shooter is the weak link.
I do take care to keep my chest from resting on the bench, and only use elbows on the bench. I tuck my rifle well into the pocket to get a solid cheek weld, but should I try to set the butt further out on my shoulder? I shoot 7mm Rm Mag, and even though I use a well padded slip-on buffer, by the end of the box, I can feel it!
Scope is 9x and the range I shoot at is only 200yds (tough to find any greater distances here in MA) and they have no lane for prone shooting! Would you think over-magnification at that distance would accentuate the visible bounce from heart beats?
I have achieved 3shot groups inside 1" at 200, but not with any consistency. Flinching is one thing I'm working on, rushing the trigger squeeze to get in between the beats is my biggest problem. Practice is key, but the reticle jumping around is one thing I want to eliminate if I can.
Thanks again for the response.
Dan

Keep it simple...You're a warm-blooded mammal...learn where your pressure points are. There's a pulse there. When you know where they are, you can modify your position to minimize their impact. Hell there's even a pulse in your thumb.

Good point. I knew about the thumb, but might there be one in the elbow or shoulder that I'm picking up? Ll try an elbow pad next time.
How often have you dealt with this issue, BA? Is it something that's covered in advanced courses? I've never seen it in any basic ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good point. I knew about the thumb, but might there be one in the elbow or shoulder that I'm picking up? Ll try an elbow pad next time.
How often have you dealt with this issue, BA? Is it something that's covered in advanced courses? I've never seen it in any basic ones. </div></div>

It's just one of those things that people don't think about. We assume that we know our own bodies. I don't think it can be taught but you can teach yourself to think about it.

Making recoil resistance consistent shot to shot with your 7mm mag would be difficult even for a really hard holder. But, since you are already getting the results needed for most any scenario with such a rifle, why not get into developing your basic marksmanship skills with a lower recoiling rifle, which is less likely to give you a concussion or detached retina? You might even want to develop your skills with something like an M4 with BDC. You can learn everything there is to know about good shooting with such a platform and everything you learn will transcribe to anything else you may want to shoot.