• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Funny conversation at the gun shop today

Longshot38

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2009
Montgomery, TX
So a buddy and I went up to the local gun shop so he could shoot his AR today. While my buddy on the range I stayed in the shop just shooting the shit. And on the way out the door one of the guys behind the counter made the statement to me that "I sort of a purist, if it doesn't say Remington 700, Leupold, or Colt I don't want it". In turn a chuckle and express my dismay with Remington and Leupold. So the guy behind the counter asked what my asked me what scope I use and I tell him Premier. In reply I get this dumbfounded look and the response that he has never heard of them. Thus I tell him a little history about Premier and where they come from. In reply I get "Well I like things that a proven and test". So at this point they man has proven his ignorance/stupidity. Then the question comes to me about why I don't like Remington. Thus my answer is that I don't like the machine work and will take a custom action every time over a factory Remington. And the reply I get is that Remington actions are the exact same actions as customs and that custom action offer no benefits over a factory Remington. At this point the conversation is over and I'm just trying to get out the door before I start and argument that will get me banned for life. But I found the conversation rather laughable and figured some ya'll might also.

Re: Funny conversation at the gun shop today

I had those conversations all the time until I took my rig into the shop for a little show and tell. Without even shooting it they came to the conclusion that I may know a little of what I'm talking about and now when I happen to be in the shop the guys behind the counter ask me the questions. Its kind of funny to see the faces of some of the customers when they see that happen.

Good luck,
Merritt

That's what I love about my closest shop. They know what the hell they're talking about. I'm so glad that it's only a 30 minute drive to Third Generation Shooting Supply!!!!

Makes me appreciate my shop all the more. Pretty knowledgeable and when they don't know the answer, they are smart enough to shut up and point you in the direction/resource who does.

Sounds familiar. I don't even bother to try to explain why I would zero at 100 yards instead of 250 or 300, or why I like scopes with those little dots instead of a thin crosshair.

When I bother to go to cigar shops or gun shops you get the same stuff. I long ago stopped being surprised by people in shops that are neither current on market trends nor have any clue about the high end of the market be it cigars guns or gawd forbid the people on the floor in a Harley dealership.

Coffee, motorcycles, cigars and guns... things I am obsessive about, don't even bring up Starbucks unless you have time for a lesson in high end coffees (I operate a small roasting company)

So, here I was, hanging out in my local gun shop. This jackass comes walking in and spouting, "Premier this, Custom actions that, Remington sucks, leupold is toilet water...."

lol

Sorry...couldn't stop myself. I will try harder next time.

try taking a suppressor to the range....all the idiots show up.

I had a guy tell me I needed to upgrade my Nightforce to a VX-2.

At my local public range I have numerous hunters that swear by pencil barrel Browning rifles and how they're all "lasers" and Barska is a FINE company as all scopes are basically the same.

That's when I ask to see a 3-5rd group at 100yds. Once they shoot a 1.5-3.5" group, I bust out my 10/22 and shoot a sub-moa group. Then I just act surprised, say that's the best group I've ever shot, etc. and let them come to their own conclusions.

My 10/22:
B&C Target/Varmint Stock
Stock Ruger Bolt, Receiver, Firing Pin
Hornet Custom Trigger Group (~3lbs)
Tactical Solutions 16" barrel
Vortex PST FFP 4-16x50

You guys should try a gunshop in Kommiefornia. It will make you appreciate the meatheads you have in your local shops. I'll drive 70+ miles through gridlocked LA traffic just to go to a shop that knows what they're talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try taking a suppressor to the range....all the idiots show up.</div></div>

Ha ha ha ha! I'm actually looking forward to that!

no Matt, you're not... most times it's no biggy, occasionally funny, but every once in a while, it's a PITA....

Sounds like you didn't explain the history right. All you had to say was Premier was the company that used to fix Leupolds and make them work better. Now they won't touch them since they build their own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the guy behind the counter <span style="color: #FF0000">asked what my asked me what</span> scope I use and I tell him Premier. </div></div>

WTF?

Sounds like some of the trips to the gun shop I have had.

It's been a long time since I have done anything but smile and nod while at a gunshop.

The workers at the guns shop know very little about scopes and such at the one in town here. I'm 17, and I know more than they do in their 30s-40s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So the guy behind the counter <span style="color: #FF0000">asked what my asked me what</span> scope I use and I tell him Premier. </div></div>

WTF?</div></div>

LMAO...HA HA HA HA! I said the same thing when I read it, and again, and again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try taking a suppressor to the range....all the idiots show up. </div></div>

as far as the local gun shop, mine always argue with me that suppressors are illegal in ohio... even with approved form 4's

last time i took my legal suppressors to the range, one of the range cadres told me that the fbi shoot there and i shouldnt bring them there

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halcyon575</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At my local public range I have numerous hunters that swear by pencil barrel Browning rifles and how they're all "lasers" and Barska is a FINE company as all scopes are basically the same.

That's when I ask to see a 3-5rd group at 100yds. Once they shoot a 1.5-3.5" group, I bust out my 10/22 and shoot a sub-moa group. Then I just act surprised, say that's the best group I've ever shot, etc. and let them come to their own conclusions.

My 10/22:
B&C Target/Varmint Stock
Stock Ruger Bolt, Receiver, Firing Pin
Hornet Custom Trigger Group (~3lbs)
Tactical Solutions 16" barrel
Vortex PST FFP 4-16x50 </div></div>

That was you???

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try taking a suppressor to the range....all the idiots show up.</div></div>

Ha ha ha ha! I'm actually looking forward to that!</div></div>

No you won't. It might be funny the first time then after that it is a major pain in the @$$. Everyone wants to hear it, then they want to talk about it, then they want to know how to get one, then they want to shoot it......

I don't go to public ranges much any more...but this works almost every time.

Idiot: (wanders up muttering) You got a silencer, there? Them's illegal! You better get that outa here befores the po-leece sees it!

Me: (reaches into pocket, pulls out a dollar bill, unfolds it with a pop.) If I give you this, will you stop speaking and go away?

Idiot: (REALLY perplexed) Uhhh... (wanders off)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bearwalk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Makes me appreciate my shop all the more. Pretty knowledgeable and when they don't know the answer, they are smart enough to shut up and point you in the direction/resource who does. </div></div>

where might this shop be??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
No you won't. It might be funny the first time then after that it is a major pain in the @$$. Everyone wants to hear it, then they want to talk about it, then they want to know how to get one, then they want to shoot it...... </div></div>

Sometimes, if the questioner seems a decent sort, I'll let them shoot a round or two. If they're boobs, I'll request they reimburse me the cost of the round they are about to shoot...I ask $7 (.338 Lapua). That usually puts the kibosh on their desires and they go back to shooting their hyper-accessorized Chinese SKS's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try taking a suppressor to the range....all the idiots show up.</div></div>

Ha ha ha ha! I'm actually looking forward to that! </div></div>

I did this not too long ago......I prefer my private ranges but there is a range local to me that has some indoor rifle lanes. It was raining, I was bored and I wanted to shoot so I loaded up the rig and grabbed the suppressor. At weapon check I asked the RO if I could use my suppressor provided I had the paperwork. He had to ask another worker since the owner was gone. I busted out the form 4 and they looked over it. Don't think either of them had ever seen one. So then all the questions started. How did you get this? What's the process? Blah blah blah. I really wish some shop owners would make it a training requirement for their workers to be 100% knowledgeable on all gun laws within their state. I got a few crazy looks from others in the showroom while I was waiting. Take your knowledge and your gear to a local public range sometime and see what happens....lol

I get looks just for having a level on my scope. I can imagine showing up with a suppressor.
shocked.gif

Had a kid working the floor at Gander Mountain (I know, not a gun shop, but they sell them anyway. Not much around here.) tell me he really wanted one of the new Savage bolt action slug guns. Said they only have a 6 inch drop at 200 yrds. I said, "Nice. I'm sure with the right ammo it will." He replied "No, it will do it with any ammo." I stood there stunned for a second, and left as soon as I could to find my wife some clothes for her birthday.

Did you guys know Savage was making magic guns?

I have noticed this for years. I think there is such a mystique around the rifle world that people just start to lose their frickin minds. Everybody wants to be Davie Crockett, Daniel Boone, or Carlos Hathcock and they think they have a field of interest cornered that nobody knows anything about so they start bloviating everything they have heard to make themselves sound AWESOME! I think the problem is people have watched too many movies, read too many books, and listened to way too much gunshop bullshit and they just want to be special. My 2 pennies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyblaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a kid working the floor at Gander Mountain (I know, not a gun shop, but they sell them anyway. Not much around here.) tell me he really wanted one of the new Savage bolt action slug guns. Said they only have a 6 inch drop at 200 yrds. I said, "Nice. I'm sure with the right ammo it will." He replied "No, it will do it with any ammo." I stood there stunned for a second, and left as soon as I could to find my wife some clothes for her birthday.

Did you guys know Savage was making magic guns? </div></div>

Well duh. Haven't you seen the .5 MOA threads? It's all about the rifle fairy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigdog2003</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">try taking a suppressor to the range....all the idiots show up. </div></div>

as far as the local gun shop, mine always argue with me that suppressors are illegal in ohio... even with approved form 4's

last time i took my legal suppressors to the range, one of the range cadres told me that the fbi shoot there and i shouldnt bring them there

</div></div>

where?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pointman308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have noticed this for years. I think there is such a mystique around the rifle world that people just start to lose their frickin minds. Everybody wants to be Davie Crockett, Daniel Boone, or Carlos Hathcock and they think they have a field of interest cornered that nobody knows anything about so they start bloviating everything they have heard to make themselves sound AWESOME! I think the problem is people have watched too many movies, read too many books, <span style="color: #CC0000">spent waaaaaay too much time on internet forums</span>, and listened to way too much gunshop bullshit and they just want to be special. My 2 pennies. </div></div>

There... Fixed it for ya!
grin.gif

I asked my local gun shop guy where I could get a quad rail free free float tube and adjustable gas block for my AR-10. The response I got was "(Pause w/ Deer in headlight look) That is a Class 3 rifle and we don't stock parts for that" My reply
"Are you serious? Well don't tell anyone I have one" LMFAO!!!

Your gunshop guys are right on, but they're thinking 4 MOA accuracy at 400yds is the gnat's ass because that's probably what they need to be a good hunter. You're a shooter with more difficult goals and they don't need a Premier scope and GAP rifle.

At the local shop the other day a guy asked to see a High Point 9mm. Said he wanted to start hunting deer and that 9mm was "ballistically the best cartridge for deer" That's a no shitter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where in OK Mikey?</div></div>

Kid working at Big Boys Guns in Mustang.

I was looking at a Kimber CDP II - the guy suggested that you only use FMJ with it because at the range you would shoot such a short barrel, a hollow point wouldn't have time to open up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's been a long time since I have done anything but smile and nod while at a gunshop.</div></div>

'zactly. If asked any direct questions I do my best to make it sound like I have a Rem 700 knock off and an off brand scope short of flat out lying. The hard part is faking the correct amount of reverent awe when I'm told someone recently bought a VX-III.

Just get the transfer finished and get out before anyone's egos get hurt. That's the path to a healthy relationship with your local FFL holder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, here I was, hanging out in my local gun shop. This jackass comes walking in and spouting, "Premier this, Custom actions that, Remington sucks, leupold is toilet water...."

lol

Sorry...couldn't stop myself. I will try harder next time. </div></div>
LOL, funny stuff

LOL,to funny

If you think you have heard ridiculous comments from gun shop employees you should try standing on their side of the counter. Some of the highest quality gun bilge I have ever heard has originated from black gun enthusiast Rambo wannabes.

Sounds like the gun shop owner would prefer McDonald's Cheese burger over his momma's. You go to McDonald's you get what they give you and a 1/8" patty of 25% beef. Mom's you decide what you want and you have quality beef.

I visit two or three gun stores, But I hang out at my Vestal's Gun Shop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hopkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think you have heard ridiculous comments from gun shop employees you should try standing on their side of the counter. Some of the highest quality gun bilge I have ever heard has originated from black gun enthusiast Rambo wannabes. </div></div>

PLEASE share with us...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hopkins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you think you have heard ridiculous comments from gun shop employees you should try standing on their side of the counter. Some of the highest quality gun bilge I have ever heard has originated from black gun enthusiast Rambo wannabes. </div></div>

"Did you know that if you take an AR and cut a piece out, you can make it full auto?! My buddy did that and was able to kill a house with it...."

"...from the Space Shuttle..."

"...while orbiting Alpha Centauri."

Because although the story starts off as bullshit, it always gets bullshittierer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't go to public ranges much any more...but this works almost every time.

Idiot: (wanders up muttering) You got a silencer, there? Them's illegal! You better get that outa here befores the po-leece sees it!

Me: (reaches into pocket, pulls out a dollar bill, unfolds it with a pop.) If I give you this, will you stop speaking and go away?

Idiot: (REALLY perplexed) Uhhh... (wanders off) </div></div>
I laughed out loud.

great stories.

This is why I drive past several ranges & high-tail it into the desert.

I love the "swat team" guy with the special ops tapco sks. It like wheres waldo, if u look hard enough there is one at every public range.