• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Funny conversation at the gun shop today

Re: Funny conversation at the gun shop today

I have had many, many similar runins at gun shops. Then I dove in to class III stuff and that pushed me over the edge. I decided I now more about guns, optics and in a short time Class III. So I opened my own. Customer sevice, better knowledge base. I have 1 1/2 years under my belt and have a great customer base and many happy Class III customers. I just got tired of the s.o.s. of gun shops and stupid people, telling me what I needed. I just listen and ask questions to give my customers what they want.

I was at a local public range (with no range officers) a couple months ago; in 15 minutes I saw two negligent discharges. One of them was a Mosin that apparently misfired, and the dumbass using it actually started moving to look down the bore (with his finger still on the trigger) when BOOM it went off. His head was maybe 18" from the muzzle, and he was visibly dazed by the muzzle blast.

Guy he was shooting with exclaimed "HOLE-LY SHIT!" while I was in partial shock I nearly watched somebody unintentionally commit suicide.

The other ND was a moron that dropped the slide of his pistol on a loaded mag, again with his finger on the trigger - BOOM. Thankfully it was pointed downrange.

Another time, I had called all-clear and was 100yd downrange changing a target (and wearing a bright-red shirt) when some jackass at the far bench started popping off with an AR.

My parents' farm is about 1+40 drive each way vs. 25min for the public range, but at least when I go to the farm I don't have to deal with freaking idiots that shouldn't breed and damn sure shouldn't own firearms...

Oh yeah, I saw a Dick's Sporting Goods worker tell some guy that the bone-stock Remington 700 VTR on the rack was the "exact same rifle" used by Army snipers in Iraq.

Only thing I buy at Dick's is running gear & Winchester Dynapoint GT 22LR ammo, but that comment caused me to about-face right the eff out of the store.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh yeah, I saw a Dick's Sporting Goods worker tell some guy that the bone-stock Remington 700 VTR on the rack was the "exact same rifle" used by Army snipers in Iraq.

Only thing I buy at Dick's is running gear & Winchester Dynapoint GT 22LR ammo, but that comment caused me to about-face right the eff out of the store. </div></div>

Typical sporting goods store people. When there was still a G.I. Joes in my area, some yahoo behind the gun counter tried to tell me that using slugs in a shotgun made the barrel expand to a wider diameter. I wanted to say "I guess we're going to have really big problems with rifles then, huh?

Bought a Rem. 700 ADL Varmint in .308. from Dick's. You might be surprised how it shoots.

I loved the time a fellow was buying a Winchester 70 Black shadow at Walmart. I was browsing and overheard the conversation. The rifle was in 300wsm and the customer wanted to know could he shoot regular 300 winmag ammo in it. The kid behind the counter is assuring the guy it would be no problem. I just had to say something to them,of course I get "They're both .300 Magnums!"

Or the local hunting supply place I went to yesterday. Needed some scope caps for my Nightforce on my AICS/700 8mm Remington magnum. They told me when I asked for caps for Nightforce,they don't carry airsoft parts!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwSubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I loved the time a fellow was buying a Winchester 70 Black shadow at Walmart. I was browsing and overheard the conversation. The rifle was in 300wsm and the customer wanted to know could he shoot regular 300 winmag ammo in it. The kid behind the counter is assuring the guy it would be no problem. I just had to say something to them,of course I get "They're both .300 Magnums!"

Or the local hunting supply place I went to yesterday. Needed some scope caps for my <span style="color: #FF0000">Nightforce</span> on my AICS/700 8mm Remington magnum. They told me when I asked for caps for Nightforce,they don't carry airsoft parts! </div></div>

That's an expensive airsoft part. Haha.

I walked into a new gun store near my hometown the other day to see if they had any 308s. I was pretty much told I was an idiot for wanting a barrel longer than 22" on a 308 and that anyone who wants a 308 bolt other than a remington 700 tactical is an idiot.

He asked me why I didn't just get an AR15. Needless to say, I will not go back unless I need a drum mag for a pistol or something of the like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XTR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">don't even bring up Starbucks unless you have time for a lesson in high end coffees (I operate a small roasting company) </div></div>

ahh yes, do not! drink that burnt swill!
Amen Brother small roasters rule!
Just like small craft brewers
T

Yeah, the gun shops, WalMarts, gun shows, and every other forum where firearms are purveyed are full of the same type of people who actually think they know everything. The shooters who frequent this and similar websites and clubs know the actual story.

BUT...

That's no reason to get your rocks off at their expense. I used to be one of the gun shop/WalMart/GunShop Ninjas until for some reason I realized I needed to shut the fuck up and start listening to what these seemingly crazy people were talking about, and I graduated to hanging out at some of the best gunsmith shops, standing on the periphery of discussions way above my head with my fucking piehole shut and my ears open, and I've become better off for it.

I'm still no better than a weekend ranger; I've been lucky enough to have a few friends with the been there/did that t-shirts. I know a little more than I used to, and am willing to listen, listen, listen, to learn a little more.

The point is, I'm still probably the the material that would get a proper ragging from any operator here; but that's not going to help me and only makes the person ragging me demonstrate their personality flaws, shooting skills notwithstanding. I apologize for the interference, and resume my usual mouth shut position.

The guy at one of our gunshops said that Springfield was sending newly manufactured Garands over to Afghanaland, thus the reason why they couldn't get any in. True story.

I was at a gun fair here in lawton oklahoma one time and was talking to a owner of a gun shop that was selling supressors at the gun fair. I asked to hold a pistol with the supressor attached and a stranger comes up to me and the owner and says supressors aren't legal in the USA. The owner tries to briefly explain how it's legal and the guy say's "I don't know about that i will have to check on it" and walks away and me and the owner look at each other thinking what was that guy all about. LOL

Goes to show, with limited knowledge you make yourself look kinda bad.

This has been very entertaining, read all of the post....

I was at a local Academy Sports, a breeding ground for gun knowledge, the only reason I was there was because I needed some FGMM and it was real late....

Anyway while I was looking at the ammo, the guy behind the counter was showing a guy some pistols and when the customer walked away, the counter guy was taking each pistol out the case racking the slide back and doing some fast draws, aiming the pistol into the store area and pulling the trigger....needless to say, when I heard the first click, I looked up very quickly and gave the guy a stern look....

He continued to do that and after the third time I walked up to the counter and said if he does it one more time he will be walking funny with that pistol up his ass, I told him I was not joking....

He came back with they are not loaded and here is the best part, are you ready...he said his manager asked him to do this daily so the triggers will stay lubricated...I told him that is the most f'ed up bullshit I have ever heard.

I called for the manager, he never showed up, I had to leave...

Rule of thumb: Don't talk about guns in a gunshop. Get what you need and get out.

I am no know all ar%ehole..yet i have sold a bit ..i walk away from knobs that treat me like a fool..the original post tells me the bloke behind the counter needs to remember a few things...as a salesperson, you have two ears and one mouth use them accordingly...ask lots of questions, you will learn a lot, the smart questions will win you deals, do not ask them to be a smart arse, but to show you listen and help people buy..open, probe, support, close....it is simple shit really...yeah i am a salesman...my ears are as good as my common sense..then again i dont ask questions or show my wisdom with knobbers that want to play "i'm smarter more virtuous than you are"....good call to walk away, you had nothing to gain...he could have won a customer...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyblaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a kid working the floor at Gander Mountain (I know, not a gun shop, but they sell them anyway. Not much around here.) tell me he really wanted one of the new Savage bolt action slug guns. Said they only have a 6 inch drop at 200 yrds. I said, "Nice. I'm sure with the right ammo it will." He replied "No, it will do it with any ammo." I stood there stunned for a second, and left as soon as I could to find my wife some clothes for her birthday.

Did you guys know Savage was making magic guns? </div></div>

I actually own this shotgun, and it IS magic, there isn't much drop at all in 200 yards, since it is 20 gauge. I've won the slug shoot at my club with it 2x (only tried 2x, ha). The rifle is EXTREMELY finicky about ammo it will shoot. If it likes the rounds (two types of Federals and some Remmys) it will shoot 1" groups easy. If it hates the ammo (SSTs) it will shoot 6" groups if you are lucky. 20 gauge slugs for the rifled barrel really have no drop, and since the gun comes with a tag specifying the ammo, it really will do it will ALL ammo, as long as ALL means "ALL we recommend from Savage". Hahah.

LOL, I thought that was why we went to the range in the first place! Its Like going to Walmart to try to find the "Walmartians"
wink.gif
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 208Plinker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great stories.

This is why I drive past several ranges & high-tail it into the desert.

I love the "swat team" guy with the special ops tapco sks. It like wheres waldo, if u look hard enough there is one at every public range. </div></div>

Im 19 and i am more knowledgeable then most of the gun shop owners in my town. One shop told me last year that since im only 18 i can only buy a .22 and a shotgun. I laughed my ass off and walked out.

Had a vendor at a gunshow here try to sell me one of those Just Right Carbines. He claimed that it was made by para ordnance because it said 9mm para on the barrel. Heard him tell the same story to dozens of folks.

Also recently had a coworker get injured pretty seriously from a Taurus Judge. He bought it new from a local shop and the owner told him that it would fire 410, 45LC, and 454 Casul (it was not a Raging Judge). So, my coworker is not very knowledgeable about guns and buys a box of each type of ammo. 454 blew the gun apart and cut up the guys hand and face pretty good.

This thread is awesome. You guys really have made my night reading through all of this, mainly because I work at the hunting counter at an outdoor gear store in Colorado. First off, I have to admit that when I started here a little over 2 years ago I didn't know hardly anything about firearms, but since then have been bit by the bug hard. I got picked up because of my military experience. How four years on a submarine qualified me to sling guns, I'll never know but regardless I had quite the learning curve to get over. Probably my most used phrase has been "Ya know, I don't know but let me do a little research and find out for you." Because of this, my biggest pet peeve has been walking into other establishments that sell firearms and either being flat out ignored or fed a line by someone who obviously knows less than I did when I first started on. I tend to avoid other stores because of this.

It's not just the holders of the almighty 4473 that you hear the oddball things from though. I've been asked for tactical lights that will mount on a Pictionary rail and also had a customer bring his gun back because he couldn't find the loaded magazines that were supposed to come with the gun from the factory. I even had one customer overhear me telling someone what the difference between a .223 and a 5.56 round is and interject angrily, telling me that I shouldn't lie to people. "There is NO difference between the two rounds. The ammunition makers just label one differently and charge you more for it." My manager and I just stood there dumbfounded as he ranted for about 5 minutes and stormed out of the store.

Probably my favorite one is this though. We had a guy buy a Glock from Bud's and transfer it through us. We let him inspect the gun, ran his background check and sent him on his way. Nothing seemed to out of the ordinary, but then about two days later we got a phone call.

Him: "I bought a Lock and I think something's wrong with it."

Me: "What kind of lock did you buy? Was it a trigger lock or a padlock?"

Him: "No, I bought a Lock PISTOL and I can't put bullets in it."

Me: "OH! I'm sorry I thought you were asking about something else. You said you have what brand pistol?"

Him: "A Lock."

Me: "What's the model?"

Him: "17."

Me: "So you have a Glock 17?"

Him: "Oh! It's called a Glock?"

Me: "Yeah. And you can't load the magazine?"

Him: "Yeah, I just can't get the bullets in it."

I spent the next 15 minutes or so trying to explain how to load his magazine. It didn't work so well and I told him to bring in the magazine and I'd show him with some snap caps. By the time he left the store he was loading his mag like a pro, but it gets better. He got home and the first thing he did was load the mag up and slap it in the gun. That's when I got another phone call.

Him: "So I loaded the bullets in the gun, but how can I tell if it's loaded? I tried looking down the barrel but I can't see anything."

At this point I was kicking myself for not recommending a good handgun safety class for him to take, which is exactly what I did after calmly but urgently telling him never to do that again... Fun times...

i was at cabellas and asked them to show me their top of the line illuminated reticle scopes. I was expecting to see a z6, Zeiss etc. The guy behind the counter comes back with a BSA, and sait it was one of the best illuminated reticle scopes on the market.