• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes FYI - Athlon Ares ETR 1-10x28!

Do we know if late this month is still happening?
I emailed their two CS reps last week and one of them said they got a shipment in last week to partially cover their backorders and another said expecting a shipment in late July/early August that will cover the rest and stock their expertvoice store.

This is not correct, when I made that comment earlier this year the person I spoke to said they did not like the first batch and had some things to correct (that's why I said when it's finally released it "should" be 100%).

I obviously never went through with the order and settled on a Gen3 Razor instead. Hopefully they give an update, in my opinion the silence does not bode well. Just my two cents.
I also got impatient and "settled" on the gen 3. If the Athlon comes in stock and has good feedback, I may cancel my backorder if it still hasn't shipped and get the Athlon. Don't really need the amazing 1x and illumination of the razor and don't mind the added chonk for my AR10 build.

Yeah I'd very much like this to be a home run. Being able to save ~$1k would be pretty nice compared to the Gen3.

It's unfortunate the other 1-10 options such as the Atibal and Swampfox are so bad. Fingers crossed this closes the gap better than the aforementioned failures.

I've had one pre-ordered from CameralandNY since January, so if there's a shipment currently going out I sure hope I get one of them. I've had a naked rifle waiting for over 8 months. Now I even have a Holosun 509T wauting to get mounted on this thing. 🤣

Yeah I'd very much like this to be a home run. Being able to save ~$1k would be pretty nice compared to the Gen3.

It's unfortunate the other 1-10 options such as the Atibal and Swampfox are so bad. Fingers crossed this closes the gap better than the aforementioned failures.
I don't know if I'd call the Swampfox Arrowhead a failure. It's a budget priced 30mm, SFP optic. It's not meant to compete with a 34mm FFP. Ilya, the DarkLordOfOptics, tested it and the optically quality is fairly good. Certainly good for the price point and usable. I agree with you on the Atibal.

Other than the fact that the Ares ETR comes from China, and may weigh too much, I'm optimistic about it. I have had two Ares BTR's, so not in the same league glass quality wise, that have had chromatic aberration with some dark colors at high magnification. Their clarity was good, however.

Last edited:
I have the SwampFox. It is by no means a failure. Optically impressive and great controls.

Just got mine in the mail. It weighs 27.2 oz, the turrets are very tactile and line up with the indicator line, the capped windage turret turns 0-10 mrad toward the right (not the < 0 > left or right typically found on more expensive optics), the illumination at max power (6 with off in between each intensity) is as useless as the Strike Eagle 1-8, 1x is not as forgiving as a Razor 1-6 or 1-10 and has a very slight fisheye.

10x has slightly color fringing that favors warmer colors.

Just got mine in the mail. It weighs 27.2 oz, the turrets are very tactile and line up with the indicator line, the capped windage turret turns 0-10 mrad toward the right (not the < 0 > left or right typically found on more expensive optics), the illumination at max power (6 with off in between each intensity) is as useless as the Strike Eagle 1-8, 1x is not as forgiving as a Razor 1-6 or 1-10 and has a very slight fisheye.

Bummer. You saved me some money at least.

The color fringing, does it make dark gray or black objects appear to have a purple hue at the edges? That’s what I experienced with an Ares BTR 2.5-15x and a 4.5-27x.

The optic quality isn't the greatest with a weight penalty but I look forward to trying it out. Ammo costs have reduced range time and this is a good placeholder for an ATACR or Razor 1-10 to pop up on the used market more frequently. I'm also hoping for an updated reticle on the NX8 1-8.

Attachments

• D7E643BE-6216-456A-B8D8-EEB3373C2D45.jpeg
    D7E643BE-6216-456A-B8D8-EEB3373C2D45.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Not that I know of, I'm only repeating what Marsh has said on another forum. I have no insider or other knowledge 🤷.

I'm not sure if he's active here, maybe he could answer?

I came into a little unexpected money. I bit the bullet and bought a Vortex Razor 1-10 MRAD. LGS’s around me that had them were charging $2800. Finding one online was difficult. If anyone is interested, Scheels has the MRAD and MOA versions in stock for normal going price ($1999).

I wanted to wait on the PA GLx, but with no ETA and the disappointing news on the Athlon, I decided to go all in on the Razor.

I came into a little unexpected money. I bit the bullet and bought a Vortex Razor 1-10 MRAD. LGS’s around me that had them were charging $2800. Finding one online was difficult. If anyone is interested, Scheels has the MRAD and MOA versions in stock for normal going price ($1999).

I wanted to wait on the PA GLx, but with no ETA and the disappointing news on the Athlon, I decided to go all in on the Razor.
Ive seen some gen3s go for 1700. Only happens when I’m not looking for one though.

Anyone have any comparative pics behind the ares 1-10 that can demonstrate the disappointment you’re seeing?

What happened to the through the scope pics you had posted? I wanted to look at them and convince myself they weren't that bad...

I have mine.

Attachments

• E017860B-5D04-4238-B372-912E0335FE76.jpeg
    E017860B-5D04-4238-B372-912E0335FE76.jpeg
    368.1 KB · Views: 107
  • BC5531D0-2F46-4A72-87F3-924C5AB8F1F1.jpeg
    BC5531D0-2F46-4A72-87F3-924C5AB8F1F1.jpeg
    429.6 KB · Views: 99
Hopefully we can get some reviews of the Ares 1-10 vs the Helos 1-10, Swampfox 1-10, Atibal 1-10 and even the Rzr 1-10. Should be a nice spread of quality with Atibal at the bottom, Rzr on top and everything else sprinkled somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: CageFighter
Ssssooo, Its been a long time and I didnt think it was ever coming butttttt... I just received a shipping email from Athlon for my review unit! So stay tuned, looks like ill have it in hand in a few days and Ill get it mounted up and start testing. Glad to see these finally hitting the USA!

Just got mine in today. Initial impressions: glass is more clear than my razor HD 1-10x. Very impressed with the glass. Its a heavy guy - 27.1 oz on my scale so probably would avoid throwing it on a AR15. It's a great match for an AR10, especially with the exposed/locking turrets.

Turrets lock well, have very positive clicks etc.

My biggest complaints: weight and the center dot on the reticle could be more clear/sharp. It is not daylight bright (think PA or similar)

Just got mine in today. Initial impressions: glass is more clear than my razor HD 1-10x. Very impressed with the glass. Its a heavy guy - 27.1 oz on my scale so probably would avoid throwing it on a AR15. It's a great match for an AR10, especially with the exposed/locking turrets.

Turrets lock well, have very positive clicks etc.

My biggest complaints: weight and the center dot on the reticle could be more clear/sharp. It is not daylight bright (think PA or similar)
How is the eyebox on 1x?
Can it be used like a not very bright red dot?

How is the eyebox on 1x?
Can it be used like a not very bright red dot?
Not as good as the vortex. I would say the Razor HD 1-10x would be more of a close-mid range where this suits more of a mid-further mid-range (with the ability to go close in a pinch). It's very usable on 1x, more so than most other LPVOs I've played with less the razor and Delta Stryker

Given its limitations, it's found its home on my AR10. Great clarity and turrets for use a little further out without having to go full scope/offset setup.

36t7J2.jpg

Not as good as the vortex. I would say the Razor HD 1-10x would be more of a close-mid range where this suits more of a mid-further mid-range (with the ability to go close in a pinch). It's very usable on 1x, more so than most other LPVOs I've played with less the razor and Delta Stryker
Bummer. I'm really hoping to see the 1-10x equivalent of a 1-6x Razor on the market. Something that is almost red dot first, magnified optic second. I'm sure the Razor gen3 is the closest thing right now, I'm just not going to spend that much for the build I have in mind.

Bummer. I'm really hoping to see the 1-10x equivalent of a 1-6x Razor on the market. Something that is almost red dot first, magnified optic second. I'm sure the Razor gen3 is the closest thing right now, I'm just not going to spend that much for the build I have in mind.
I know a single "do everything" optic is ideal for most, but The March Shorty seems like it's the only option that gets close with FFP reticle and SFP illumination -- and it's over $2k. I think a 2-10x or 3-9x with a piggybacked or offset red dot might be the best fit for those of us with smaller budgets.

You just answered your own question. Unless you change your requirements I'm going to go ahead and say anything less than a gen 3 is going to disappoint you.

Reactions: gnochi
I know a single "do everything" optic is ideal for most, but The March Shorty seems like it's the only option that gets close with FFP reticle and SFP illumination -- and it's over $2k. I think a 2-10x or 3-9x with a piggybacked or offset red dot might be the best fit for those of us with smaller budgets.
Not in the cards for me. Or I should say, not in the ruleset of the matches I shoot. I've used the 45 degree and high mount dots and they're okay as an occasionally used backup but they kinda suck for primary use.
You just answered your own question. Unless you change your requirements I'm going to go ahead and say anything less than a gen 3 is going to disappoint you.
Yeah, I know what you say is the truth, I just wanna live in denial for a bit longer while I pretend that a half priced Razor equivalent is about to hit the market.

Reactions: drewthebrave
It arrived today! Initial impressions, Im very impressed with the value for the money! Glass is very very clear. Honestly, at 1x the red dot is very much usable. I have another LPVO (Leupold Mark4 1.5-5x20 MR/T CM-R2) and that is NOT daytime bright, it is not usable on 1x as a red dot... This is VERY bright, and super easy to use as a red dot on 1x...

It is got some weight to it, coming in at 27.2oz on my scale

Here are some initial unboxing pictures. Im going to get this mounted up on my 20" Bartlein 223 Wylde DMR for the testing. I am in talks with my Vortex contacts to get a Razor Gen3 1-10 so we can do a full side by side review and comparison for you guys. Stay tuned...

Initial impression though is very nice!

Here are some pics using a cell phone through the scope. Warning, they dont do the glass justice, its WAY clearer than this. Im free hand holding a cell phone and snapping pictures. I have a phone scope around here somewhere I need to find... Just trying to show the reticle here. Is it Razor Gen2/Gen3 bright, no. But its VERY usable and fast just playing with it on my DMR....

1x

10x

Thanks @reubenski
I may be mistaken, but I think a lot of 1-10 suffer from what you describe. I know my SF does as did my Atibal (sent it back) and my Shepherd 1-8
Those are the only ones I’ve tried.
Vortex and PA Platinum may be different

Last edited:
Reactions: reubenski
Assuming SF means swampfox, yes of course your SF, Atibal and Sheppard scopes will do that, cheap Chinese trash. None of the Japanese LOW 1-8 do that (Bushy SMRS 1-8.5 or plx 1-8).

Thanks @reubenski
I may be mistaken, but I think a lot of 1-10 suffer from what you describe. I know my SF does as did my Atibal (sent it back) and my Shepherd 1-8
Those are the only ones I’ve tried.
Vortex and PA Platinum may be different
I haven't noticed any fuzziness with the image when the diopter is sent for max mag on my Razor, PLx, and Accupower. I have noticed that if the diopter is set perfectly for 10x or 8x, the 1x becomes no longer true and I have to play around with it a little to find the happy medium with the diopter setting. It was no problem for the Razor and PLx but it was a little worse on the Accupower which I ended up selling in large reason because of that.

Hopefully we can get some reviews of the Ares 1-10 vs the Helos 1-10, Swampfox 1-10, Atibal 1-10 and even the Rzr 1-10. Should be a nice spread of quality with Atibal at the bottom, Rzr on top and everything else sprinkled somewhere in the middle.
I tried a Helos 1-10 and thought it was absolute garbage. Sent it back.

Eyebox was terrible especially for something that had a 28mm objective. The glass was not too bad but everything else was meh.

Not sure why the gave the cheap one a 28mm objective and the more expensive one a 24mm?

I was way more impressed with a SF 1-10 I had for a while.

With both a 0moa and 20moa mount, I'm unable to set my zero stop on a 16" 5.56 AR when zeroed at 100. The brass ring covers the small set screws which hinders my ability to rotate the plate to the "spinner." I have about 7 mils past my zero.

Just one data point.

Attachments

• athlon zero stop instructions.JPG
    athlon zero stop instructions.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 70
You have to remove the turret cap when it's in the unlocked "up" position. That's why you can't access the screws.

I had no issues setting mine. Once I completed the ASVAB style mechanics problem. I tried reading the directions and they were useless.
Nice. Finally have a zero stop now.

Reactions: reubenski
I ended up grabbing one off expertvoice for my AR10. Initial impressions are positive right now. It's actually not very big and smaller than the Razor despite being 27.1oz on my scale. Glass is not as good as my Razor 1-10 and I'd put it in the same league as the PST 1-6. Turrets are the best I've felt on an lpvo and are better than the Accupower 1-8 and PLx 1-8 I owned. FOV is gigantic. Illumination is definitely not daylight bright and washes out on a bright day. 1x is also not true and feels like a .9x. Eyebox seems quite good and on par with the razor's. I'll second the opinion that this is more of a dmr optic that has the ability to be used at 1x and it feels at home on my 18" AR10.
VpqZwSP - Imgur.jpg

I ended up grabbing one off expertvoice for my AR10. Initial impressions are positive right now. It's actually not very big and smaller than the Razor despite being 27.1oz on my scale. Glass is not as good as my Razor 1-10 and I'd put it in the same league as the PST 1-6. Turrets are the best I've felt on an lpvo and are better than the Accupower 1-8 and PLx 1-8 I owned. FOV is gigantic. Illumination is definitely not daylight bright and washes out on a bright day. 1x is also not true and feels like a .9x. Eyebox seems quite good and on par with the razor's. I'll second the opinion that this is more of a dmr optic that has the ability to be used at 1x and it feels at home on my 18" AR10.View attachment 7721177
Curious if you have any updates after a little bit of time owning it? What are your thoughts and experiences with it? Considering one for an 18” dmr build