• New Site Changes

View thread We just went through a pretty major site upgrade, so if you see any issues feel free to post them here

Rifle Scopes  FYI - Athlon Ares ETR 1-10x28!

gnochi

Gunny Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
May 6, 2019
Orange County, CA

Cswedeen

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2019
AL
Very excited to see how this scope does, I have an Ares ETR 4.5-30 and it punches way above its price tag- Will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the Vortex 1-10, as of now there isn't a true competitor to the Razor Gen III.

Reactions: gnochi

gnochi

Gunny Sergeant
PX Member
Minuteman
May 6, 2019
Orange County, CA
Very excited to see how this scope does, I have an Ares ETR 4.5-30 and it punches way above its price tag- Will be interesting to see how it stacks up to the Vortex 1-10, as of now there isn't a true competitor to the Razor Gen III.

Yeah I don’t think there’s any doubt in anyone’s mind that the vortex will be better, but this means that there’s a good 1-10 option between the Swampfox SFP and the Vortex FFP, with the upcoming March presumably taking the crown for best and most useful 1-10 you can get.

Twistid

I'm pilot, I can fly
PX Member
Minuteman
May 17, 2020
Code 3 to Hawaii
MSRP $1140 which is a MIL/LE price of $684. Pretty expensive for a Chinese scope. However the Ares ETR is an outstanding scope, if this little 1-10 performs as it's bigger brother Ares it may rival the LOW clones currently being pumped out. Dare say... a budget Razor 1-10?

rhsc

Red Headed Step Child
Hessian
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Mar 4, 2018
    Sou-East Texas
    If my experience with the various mid-level Athlon scopes and binoculars that I own is any indication of the performance that can be expected of this new scope, then it should be a very solid optic. Athlon seems to know how to get their OEM manufacturers to provide consistently good quality. Looking forward to seeing how it stacks up against the competition.

Last edited:

Blazin

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 6, 2008
    Maryland
    I called Athlon today and asked when this scope will be available and they said late Jan/early Feb.

khuber84

Aim small, miss small
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Nov 29, 2008
    Montana
    I like everything about this scope, ans the 3-18 too, cept the heavy for mag weight.

Halberdier

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 28, 2019
    Texas
    This is just me, but the FFP reticle on LPVOs doesn't work for me at all. I'd rather have a fat, high viability, quick target acquisition reticle at 1x. And I don't so much need one at 10x. 1x is defensive and 10x is offensive. So 1x is far more important to me.

Reactions: cake5150

cake5150

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 7, 2014
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    This is just me, but the FFP reticle on LPVOs doesn't work for me at all. I'd rather have a fat, high viability, quick target acquisition reticle at 1x. And I don't so much need one at 10x. 1x is defensive and 10x is offensive. So 1x is far more important to me.

Agreed, wholeheartedly. I want FFP in everything EXCEPT LPVOs. I've tried several LPVOs and honestly prefer the SFP Primary Arms SLX 1-8 gen 3 w/ its SFP reticle that is large and fast at 1x whether there is illumination or not. I also like that only the donut/chevron is illuminated. I'm only going to be using the BDC/ranging features at max magnification anyways, and the chevron is still a usable aiming point for torso-sized targets inside of 300 yards at any magnification. The glass is not awesome but it isn't bad either. I was actually quite surprised at how well it works w/ various night vision clip-ons.

All that being said, it is great to see more options like this hitting the market whether they suit my preferences or not. Hopefully, this turns out to be a good budget Razor gen 3.

gnochi

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    May 6, 2019
    Orange County, CA
    Looks really interesting. I may upgrade from my PST Gen II 1-6.

It's a 1-10x24, not x28, BTW.

They’ve changed the image on their Instagram and upgraded their website; it was x28 when I posted a few days ago. My browser history also supports that.

I’m guessing a few people on their end got confused with the new Helos?

Davesnothere

Retired Army
    Banned !
    Minuteman
    Nov 23, 2020
    Alabama
    Dang, it looked quite nice at 19oz. No china scope for me. I’ll avoid that scum nation where I can (yes as I type on an iphone).
    That is exactly the rub. You use Chinese all day. Athlon is excellent. I don’t care where it is supposedly made anymore.

jwhjwh54

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jun 13, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    this scope looks pretty sweet and I really liked the ETR I had before but I can NEVER type Athlon without typing athlong first. Definitely will be looking at this closely when released

PBWalsh

Isaiah 40:25-31
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 10, 2017
    Central AL
    That is exactly the rub. You use Chinese all day. Athlon is excellent. I don’t care where it is supposedly made anymore.

Which is why I said I’ll avoid china when I can. In this case, there are other non-chinese options that I could potentially choose from. There is not a US made iphone...

zekers7

Private
    Hessian
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 26, 2017
    Apparently they are supposed to start shipping within the next few weeks. Have one on pre-order to test out but havent seen anything otherwise

toeheadAR

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 12, 2018
    This scope looks very promising. FOV is identical to the Vortex and better than the other budget 1-10x scopes from Atibal and GSCR. The Vortex reticle has more wind holds but the Athlon BDC reticle extends 200 yards further. Athlon has less turret adjustment but the whole point of the reticle kind of makes that irrelevant for me. For me, the Razor isn't even an option due to price so I'm glad to see another 1-10x on the market. I like the MOA and MIL reticles better then the Atibal and GSCR.

There are some other 1-10x SFP scopes out there but I hear 8-10x magnification is not great. That makes it very hard to use a SFP if you need to be at 10x. I prescribe to using as little margination as possible so running at 4x,6x, 8x, etc has a lot of benefit.

drewthebrave

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 20, 2019
    Eagerly awaiting reviews on these. I've been casually researching 1~8x and 2~10x FFP scopes with Mil-based reticles in the <$1k range lately, but this 1-10x ETR is making me reevaluate my search criteria.

toeheadAR

Private
    Minuteman
    Sep 12, 2018
    I just pre-ordered one too from Cameraland and really looking forward to its arrival. Thanks Doug for helping me out.

Burdy

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 10, 2013
    I dont hate the reticle. 26.9 ounces is too heavy though. Also would heavily prefer 30mm tube. But, seems like a good option for those willing to save some money.

gbaby125

Private
    Minuteman
    Apr 26, 2019
    I believe it weighs 19.2 oz not 26.9?

I have one on order too. I already had a couple gen lll 1-10x's I used to own to compare to.
    Also had the budget Swampfox 1-10x24 30mm that I was pretty impressed with for it's price point.

Reactions: Blazin

Cswedeen

Private
    Hessian
    Minuteman
    Dec 15, 2019
    AL
    When they first released the specs it said 19.2, but now it says 26.9 on Athlon's site. That would be a disappointment for sure if the initial weight was that far off.

drewthebrave

Sergeant of the Hide
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Aug 20, 2019
    When they first released the specs it said 19.2, but now it says 26.9 on Athlon's site. That would be a disappointment for sure if the initial weight was that far off.
    I've seen a few different listings & articles show this scope with a 24mm objective, while others showed 28mm. I wonder if Athlon tested multiple variations before settling on a final design, and that led to some outlets having different specifications on these. That 26.9oz weight isn't ideal, but considering the 21oz Razor costs twice as much, carrying an extra half pound to save $1,000 doesn't seem terrible...