• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing GAP M40A1 spec build.. Reamer question

mcm308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2008
Bloomfield, NJ
I am having George and crew build me a spec M40A1. I don't know if I should just let him roll with it or should I request a specific reamer? I handload my own ammo so this is why I am asking. I will mainly be launching SMK 175's.

Re: GAP M40A1 spec build.. Reamer question

.308 match reamer would be my choice.

My spec build is a tighter chamber than my custom match .308. I also shoot 175's and it surprised the hell out of me considering it was a used stock, fixed 10 power scope (that was blurry as hell @ 100 yards) and I was behind the trigger.

Tell him what you like to shoot. He should be able to tell you what reamer will do what. George has done this a few times. Don't be afraid to ask questions and ask for advice. I don't think he'll begrudge you a few questions for what you're paying for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a "spec" build let him use the "spec" reamer!</div></div>
I gotta go with Turk on this one. If you are paying the cash just to have it spec, go spec. Makes the eye twitch a bit when people are asking about spec builds, but want a few differences. Go spec and you will be happy.
Really,
Chad

I've got a M40A1 "tribute" NOT "clone" on order with George. Aim to use Federal GMM 175. Was going to go for the "spec" M40A1 but after some thought and emailing George about a couple of things I changed "spec" to include:

HTG-ADJ Stock with Flush Cups
Badger M4 Bottom Metal
Heavy Duty Recoil Lug
GAP Left Hand Bolt Release Catch

Whatever you do, "Spec" or otherwise I'm sure George will do a top job for you.