• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Xero C1 Pro chronograph

Would anyone mind explaining to me the benefits of mounting the unit to your rifle? Just trying to figure out if I could get any use out of a setup like this. I’m strictly a hobbyist ELR shooter.

I posted a picture earlier, shooting from standing tripod. Don't need a second 5ft tripod setup.

Shooting from multiple positions, or to multiple targets, or both. The chrono follows the rifle.

I suspect this will be 80% of my uses, as most of my rifles have arca facilities. 20% will be setting up a new build and chronoing the setup - for setups i don't have acra, I'll use a mini tripod on a bench or prone.

Dumb question... headed to range tomorrow, and was setting up new profile for some Berger 153.5's and realized the Revic solver has an entry for "chrono distance". I've always used a magnetospeed which made that number pretty easy to measure.

Lots of "debate" on labradar measuring at differnt ranges, but perhaps it's more an issue of at what specific range is the C1 measuring at?

Does anybody have a solid answer on this? I just skimmed through the manual and see no answer other than to make sure the projectile can travel at least 20 meters or 20 yards in front of the chronograph. Suggestions on what to enter for my solver?

Thinking out loud: I assume, just shoot, use the data from the C1 in the solver with whatever distance in there (guess 10 yards or so??? Then apply velocity truing / correction shots at long range and call it good, I think, hopefully. Help!

Bass pro shows in stock for the Las Vegas store, I don’t know if it shows their in store inventory or inventory across all stores. But snagged one against better judgement

Reactions: Terp
Bass pro shows in stock for the Las Vegas store, I don’t know if it shows their in store inventory or inventory across all stores. But snagged one against better judgement
I keep adding to cart but it shows empty cart. May try to check the Vegas store in person tomorrow

I ran the Garmin against my Labradar today, first time out with the Garmin. I shot one 10-shot string, and two 5-shot strings, trying to answer as many questions I had as possible. I made a couple of observations:

1) I've always ran the LR just in front of the action, with a recoil trigger because I almost always shoot suppressed. For the first (10-shot) string, I placed the Garmin in a similar position, slightly forward of the LR on the opposite side, which placed it about 28 in. from the muzzle (my TBAC 338 Ultra adds another 10.5 in to the length-to-muzzle). While both units picked up all 20 shots, I found there was more of a delta in this string between the units. For the next two 5-shot strings, I moved the Garmin forward to 11 in. from the muzzle (within their specified 5-15 in. window), and the delta shrank considerably. A call to Garmin CS confirmed that if the unit is not within the 5-15 in. window from the muzzle, it can affect accuracy of the result, EVEN if it is still picking up the shots. This may be a concern for those who are mounting the unit directly to the rifle, because few of those mounts place the unit within the 5-15 in. window from the muzzle as specified. You'll get data, but it "might"(?) not be as accurate? More testing needed. When placed 28 in. from the muzzle, the Garmin gave less variation in the data than the LR (it showed lower ES/SD than the LR). When placed farther forward, within the specified window, the delta was smaller between the units.

2) I confirmed that you absolutely CANNOT resume a session with the Garmin after starting a new one (same as the LR). You CAN power the unit off and resume the session later, but you MUST put the session on PAUSE first, before powering off. The unit will not prompt you to do this if you just power it off, so you have to remember to do it. (The LR does not require this extra step - if you turn it off and back on, it automatically resumes the last session). Being unable to resume a previous session is an issue that many of us have complained to LR about for years with no consideration from them. I implore those of you who have a Garmin to register a suggestion with them to fix this. It should be an easy software fix/update that could allow it. A lot of shooters take more than one rifle to the range. They shoot one until it's time to let it cool, then shoot another while the first one cools, then they resume shooting the first one. The ability to switch between sessions and continue to record data is a very useful feature that currently doesn't exist for either unit. It just makes sense to include it.

3) Garmin CS did confirm that if the internal battery goes dead, you can power the unit with an external battery. This is a question posed in this thread that hasn't been definitively answered, but they say the answer is Yes.

Would anyone mind explaining to me the benefits of mounting the unit to your rifle? Just trying to figure out if I could get any use out of a setup like this. I’m strictly a hobbyist ELR shooter.
I used the mount thinking that it would be more consistent than the tripod. Found that the tripod didn’t miss one shot and it didn’t pick up the shooter next to me. My thought is why punish it with recoil unnecessarily.

1) I've always ran the LR just in front of the action, with a recoil trigger because I almost always shoot suppressed. For the first (10-shot) string, I placed the Garmin in a similar position, slightly forward of the LR on the opposite side, which placed it about 28 in. from the muzzle (my TBAC 338 Ultra adds another 10.5 in to the length-to-muzzle). While both units picked up all 20 shots, I found there was more of a delta in this string between the units. For the next two 5-shot strings, I moved the Garmin forward to 11 in. from the muzzle (within their specified 5-15 in. window), and the delta shrank considerably. A call to Garmin CS confirmed that if the unit is not within the 5-15 in. window from the muzzle, it can affect accuracy of the result, EVEN if it is still picking up the shots. This may be a concern for those who are mounting the unit directly to the rifle, because few of those mounts place the unit within the 5-15 in. window from the muzzle as specified. You'll get data, but it "might"(?) not be as accurate? More testing needed. When placed 28 in. from the muzzle, the Garmin gave less variation in the data than the LR (it showed lower ES/SD than the LR). When placed farther forward, within the specified window, the delta was smaller between the units.

Very intersesting.

Now we need someone with Two Garmins to test this on the same string of shots at the same time. One as close to the muzzle as possible and, One at 14x14" away from muzzle, and maybe a third that is 30x30 from the muzzle to demonstrate the deviations.

Reactions: Texascbr
Why spend 150 dollars when it isn't necessary? :) Dampens recoil better than aluminum too.

Maybe the boutique ones that were made specifically for the garmin are in that range, but a shelf nodal slide is 20 bucks from common market places.

That said I am in for rift and quarter sawn hand picked hickory with natural variations and stunning characteristics, with luxurious hand rubbed infused finish. PM me the price.

Maybe the boutique ones that were made specifically for the garmin are in that range, but a shelf nodal slide is 20 bucks from common market places.

That said I am in for rift and quarter sawn hand picked hickory with natural variations and stunning characteristics, with luxurious hand rubbed infused finish. PM me the price.
Introducing the new Garmin Xero C1 Pro Blunderbuss ARCA mount. Rich quarter-sawn mahogany with hand-forged case-hardened carriage-head fixtures, and a beautiful hand-rubbed Danish oil finish.

Now accepting all forms of payment, including, but not limited to cash, card, PayPal, Apple Pay, furs, pelts, rum, spices, prostitutes, and even a jaunty sea shanty… 😂

I ran the Garmin against my Labradar today, first time out with the Garmin. I shot one 10-shot string, and two 5-shot strings, trying to answer as many questions I had as possible. I made a couple of observations:

2) I confirmed that you absolutely CANNOT resume a session with the Garmin after starting a new one (same as the LR). You CAN power the unit off and resume the session later, but you MUST put the session on PAUSE first, before powering off. The unit will not prompt you to do this if you just power it off, so you have to remember to do it. (The LR does not require this extra step - if you turn it off and back on, it automatically resumes the last session). Being unable to resume a previous session is an issue that many of us have complained to LR about for years with no consideration from them. I implore those of you who have a Garmin to register a suggestion with them to fix this. It should be an easy software fix/update that could allow it. A lot of shooters take more than one rifle to the range. They shoot one until it's time to let it cool, then shoot another while the first one cools, then they resume shooting the first one. The ability to switch between sessions and continue to record data is a very useful feature that currently doesn't exist for either unit. It just makes sense to include it.

3) Garmin CS did confirm that if the internal battery goes dead, you can power the unit with an external battery. This is a question posed in this thread that hasn't been definitively answered, but they say the answer is Yes.
Excellent. Thank for the good dope on pass thru charging (operating from external when internal battery is depleted).

Can you be quantify the delta MV when too far back vs in 5-15” range.

Or maybe you did already. Dang phone. Lol

I’m with ya. I purchased a complete set up from the first batch and would love to not have to remove it from my 409 mount 50% of the time when using the tripod for pic rails and pistols.
I’m covered for pic rails… I used the rrs clamp rather than the 419 one as it does both pic and arca in one. It’s tripod attach that the extra screw would be super useful for.

Is this you? Talk to me about this shooting position? Shouldered left side. Left eye on the scope? but right hand on the trigger.

Cross eye dominant?
Heck no, that ain't me. LOL Look at that setup. Now look at the shooter.

That shooter don't own that firearm.

It's my daughter, who is cross eye dominate, has always struggled mightily to get in the eye box on optics. She has never had fun shooting, unfortunately, but likes hanging out with me.

She did hit a 4" steel plate @ 230 yards with 22lr on the first trigger pull though. So, for all the bad positioning, still got her mark.

Reactions: LuvDog
That ATACR isn’t making it much easier on her… they don’t have the tightest eye boxes, but they’re definitely not know for being the largest or most forgiving, either
100%

First rounds were at the full size torso profile plate about 150 yards, can be seen to the right, that was on the lowest magnification.

Then she said what about those ones further down there.... there is a 12" and 4" at 230, 233 yds respectively. I said okay. She hit the 12" at about 20x, but I bumped it to 35x for the 4" and she hit it on the first shot as well.

All in all a good day. Wanted to go play with the Garmin, my daughter is home from the dorm for a extended weekend, she wanted to go along and we got to spend some time together. :)

Or maybe people are just messing with the scalpers by bidding their auctions to the moon and then not paying.
It’s not really scalping if they started the bid around MSRP hey if people want to pay 2x for something because they can’t wait or can’t find it anywhere else then don’t blame the guy selling it.

I sold a FLIR thermal scope on eBay and it went for over 1K more than I bought it for new and didn’t feel the least bit bad about it!

My dream set up for would be the Garmin on the rifle talking to the ballistic app, which is also talking to three Wind Zero meters (using the average), and feeding the Vortex Impact 4000. No need for dope cards, constantly updating, and hitting 750m plates with my Vudoo.

Key Robert Goulet singing "The Impossible Dream" :D

But someday ...

My dream set up for would be the Garmin on the rifle talking to the ballistic app, which is also talking to three Wind Zero meters (using the average), and feeding the Vortex Impact 4000. No need for dope cards, constantly updating, and hitting 750m plates with my Vudoo.

Key Robert Goulet singing "The Impossible Dream" :D

But someday ...
I’d rather hear Robert sing “The Coconut Bangers Ball…It’s a Rap!”… 😏

Cabelas online has these in stock and is offering 10% off for in store pickup in case anyone is looking still.
Thanks. Hit the trifecta. 10% military. 10% online order and $100 Cabela points I didn't remember I had. Looking forward to the email when it arrives at the store.

Thanks. Hit the trifecta. 10% military. 10% online order and $100 Cabela points I didn't remember I had. Looking forward to the email when it arrives at the store.

If you used ActiveJunky to click through ... that would have gotten you another 7% off.

Reactions: waspocrew and Ichi
I was hoping for an "in stock notification" from Scheels so I could use up some gift cards, but decided I needed the immediate gratification so took advantage of multiple discounts and ordered one from Cabelas yesterday.

I bought a Speedtracker M4 a year ago in the hopes of using it gun mounted in the field. But it was too finicky and I don't like relying on my cell phone for the data connection.

I think the Garmin will be the best solution for rifle-mounted; I want to watch for velocity changes when prairie dog shooting and I have had a live round baking in my AR-15 chamber between shots during those hot July-August days. I don't want to mess with moving the Garmin around on a tripod when I change shooting direction. I also want to check cold bore velocities when coyote hunting in January-December to compare temperature stability of powders like Varget, Winchester Staball Match, etc. across the temperature extremes.

It’s not really scalping if they started the bid around MSRP hey if people want to pay 2x for something because they can’t wait or can’t find it anywhere else then don’t blame the guy selling it.

I sold a FLIR thermal scope on eBay and it went for over 1K more than I bought it for new and didn’t feel the least bit bad about it!

True, I'd feel a lot less bad starting the auction at say 650 or whatever your to your door cost was with no reserve and letting people bid it up to whatever they want to pay. That's way less scummy than starting it at say $800-850 as an auction or $850-900+ buy it now.

Still, I have a hard time believing the buyers are actually going to pay for those 2 that ended at $1350-1450 yesterday, especially when a few others in the last few days sold for about $700... But maybe they just really really wanted them ASAP and didn't care how much it cost, lol.

It looks like one of the ones that sold for about $1400 yesterday got relisted, possibly because the buyer didn't pay, or the seller has 2 and reused the picture for the new listing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel+Killer
I paid $631.79 for mine, out the door. That's with tax and free shipping. If I want to cover my initial cost, and ebay fees (13.25% + $0.30), it has to sell for $729. $800-850 is seems more than reasonable.

I paid $631.79 for mine, out the door. That's with tax and free shipping. If I want to cover my initial cost, and ebay fees (13.25% + $0.30), it has to sell for $729. $800-850 is seems more than reasonable.

13.25%? Yikes. I haven't sold on eBay for many years because their fees were getting ridiculous, but I didn't know they were that high now. Ouch. That being the case, if you paid full price and tax for your Garmin and wanted to break even after eBay fees and shipping you better sell it for $750-775 or so at the minimum.

Might do a little experiment this afternoon with my Garmin and 2 of my PCP air rifles to see how close I need to be with the nearby 2nd rifle before the Garmin starts registering those shots; it will let me know what I'm in for at the range and if it will pick up shots from the benches next to me.

Reactions: SoCalRayJr
Garmin specs state a measurement range of 100fps to 5000 fps. 100 fps should be able to capture baseball pitching speeds of around 80-90 mph. But for softball pitching speeds around 55-60mph, it equates to less than 100fps.

Has anyone used the Garmin to measure pitching speeds for softball? Can it capture softball pitch speeds or around 75-80fps?

If it does, I am so getting it… because, it is for my kid… :)
I just checked with Garmin support. They think that if the pitch speed is less than 100fps, the Garmin Xero will not record nor display the speed.
So, unless the pitch speed is greater than 100fps(68mph), it will not register on the Garmin.

Reactions: db2000
Excellent. Thank for the good dope on pass thru charging (operating from external when internal battery is depleted).

Can you be quantify the delta MV when too far back vs in 5-15” range.

Or maybe you did already. Dang phone. Lol
I did for each shot, and Delta Avg for each string. I haven't posted them yet because I haven't had time to sit down and analyze it or put it into a postable format. I will as soon as I can though.

Reactions: Baron23
Took @NiteQwill 's idea and added the quick release to my nodal rail (and tripod too). Really digging how simple it is to switch back and forth.

• Love
Reactions: NiteQwill
Well that didn't take long. Guys sell 2 units at $700 each plus 4% if you use a card. Fuck that I can wait a month or two.
The Magneto Speed still works just fine for now.

Big outdoor retailer near me had one in stock in is POS system, but no one can find it. Three employees searching and a 4th just standing there looking nervous. Dude would not look me in the eye. His body language did not lie.

I talked to the head of corporate loss prevention this morning and we shall see...

Reactions: FuhQ
Big outdoor retailer near me had one in stock in is POS system, but no one can find it. Three employees searching and a 4th just standing there looking nervous. Dude would not look me in the eye. His body language did not lie.

I talked to the head of corporate loss prevention this morning and we shall see...
4th one snagged it and hid it so he could buy it… 😂

Compared mine directly to MS yesterday. Velocity difference was 3-6fps overall, but consistent shot to shot. MS was always the faster number. After looking at all numbers once I imported the MS to Excel, the ES and SD for each string was very close. Probably never use the MS again!

Unable to see the picture.
Well damn. Supposed to be a movie showing how fast to detach and reattach. Guess a photo has to do.

IMG_8814.jpeg

Got my Xero C1 Pro from Bass Pro today. First impression..., this thing is really SMALL!

When settng up on my unit, somehow I hit the wrong language instead of English. Tried factory reset several times but that didn't reset it. Parts of the menu were in English plus some other language. The ShotView App on my phone mentioned new software available that would fix language issues on the Xero. (You can't update Xero via your phone that I could find.) Reviewing the online manual, I found a troubleshooting note about adding a language to the device via the Garmin Express App. The Garmin Express App is used by Garmin to update their devices. I was familiar with the the app since I had used it to Garmin GPS units that I owned over the years. I added the app to my Macbook then added the Xero to my devices in the app. Took several minutes before app offered the 3.11 software update. Updated the the Xero with the new software which fixed my issue. Paired the phone to complete the setup.

Setup was easy except for my screw up. Off to the range to try it out.

Here's a metal tripod marginally longer than the Garmin. It can sit very low without blowing over in the wind. That's happening in today's wind with the Garmin tripod. The legs on the metal one have tighter tension and you can set them in any position.

Attachments

• garmintripod.jpg
    garmintripod.jpg
    733.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Introducing the new Garmin Xero C1 Pro Blunderbuss ARCA mount. Rich quarter-sawn mahogany with hand-forged case-hardened carriage-head fixtures, and a beautiful hand-rubbed Danish oil finish.

Now accepting all forms of payment, including, but not limited to cash, card, PayPal, Apple Pay, furs, pelts, rum, spices, prostitutes, and even a jaunty sea shanty… 😂
Can you make one bound in leather that smells of mahogany?

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ