• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Xero C1 Pro chronograph

Went out to my buddy’s house to play with this thing. Kinda apprehensive if it would be as great as everyone says it is while setting it up but put 50 down range, picked up. Every. Single. Shot. Well worth the money and stupid simple to use.

IMG_2681.jpeg

Great minds and all. It allllmost fits nicely in a Magpul Daka Organzier but is a bit stretched. Ended up getting a Savior IFAK bag from amazon that will have enough room for my kestrel too. Magpul is releasing a bigger version of the Daka Organizer soon that I'll probably pick up...I really like them.

FYI: This go pro case
go pro case will fit with the neweer QD plate.

View attachment 8263141View attachment 8263142
Lol! That’s awesome. I never saw that design of Leofoto clamp with the lever. Which rail did you end up with?
I’m now looking for a hard case with foam I can cut. The Pelican 1060 with 1062 foam will work but will have almost no space between parts. It’d be super tight. Evergreen 56 case on Amazon is slightly bigger but they don’t seem to sell separate foam to cut for this case.

Last edited:
Here is another pic of pelican 1120 case.

Attachments

• IMG_8731.jpeg
    IMG_8731.jpeg
    560.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_8733.jpeg
    IMG_8733.jpeg
    892.3 KB · Views: 199
Reactions: FuhQ
So I got a nice surprise this morning, FedEx delivered my Xero C1 Pro earlier than expected. First thing was to get it charged which didn't take long as the battery was already at 70+%. One of the things I noticed was the display. Others had pointed out that they wished it was brighter. What I noticed was looking at it directly it looked dim and could be brighter. When I looked at it from an angle it was actually easier to read and appeared brighter.

Then it was time to check for updates using Garmin Express. Once it was detected it allowed me to register it. After that it informed me that 11 updates were available when looking at the details. Only one was software related and the rest were language files I had no need for. I only selected the software and after copying the files to the device it advised to disconnect it from the computer and follow the instructions on the screen of the Xero. It only took a few minutes to finish the install.

Only thing left is to download ShotView to a phone/tablet and test it out.

Like others have mentioned, I can't believe how small this thing really it!

Any tricks to get it to update through the ShotView App? I connect and see its at 3.06 and it wants to go to 3.16 but it wont.

IMG_2699.jpeg

Any tricks to get it to update through the ShotView App? I connect and see its at 3.06 and it wants to go to 3.16 but it wont.

View attachment 8263425

If you connect via USB cable to your PC and use the PC Garmin Express app you can send the firmware update immediately.

If you connect via the phone app and Bluetooth it can take about 5 minutes until it prompts you to install the update.

Reactions: xocyrusx
If you connect via USB cable to your PC and use the PC Garmin Express app you can send the firmware update immediately.

If you connect via the phone app and Bluetooth it can take about 5 minutes until it prompts you to install the update.
Unpaired it with my phone and repaired and let it sit. It worked Thank you.

Lol! That’s awesome. I never saw that design of Leofoto clamp with the lever. Which rail did you end up with?
I’m now looking for a hard case with foam I can cut. The Pelican 1060 with 1062 foam will work but will have almost no space between parts. It’d be super tight. Evergreen 56 case on Amazon is slightly bigger but they don’t seem to sell separate foam to cut for this case.

Desmond 140mm. Was what was available on amazon when ordering everything else. I went with a soft case so it fits in my shooting bag better, I just put the xero itself in a semi-rigid gopro case to protect it from rubbing on the other parts.

This one : go pro case fits with the qd plate attached.

Reactions: mrtoyz
I was in the Bass Pro in Foxboro, picking up a couple of things and happened to see this in the case, so I grabbed it.

Cool little unit.

Attachments

• Garmin chrono.jpeg
    Garmin chrono.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: Krob95
1699044289787.png

WOW! What a difference in size! I've seen a few guys with the LR at the range I go to. No wonder everyone is jumping on the bandwagon

Reactions: Coyote777
View attachment 8263626

So what was it someone wanted to compare with two of these units side by side?...

Something about different locations?

It seems i have the opportunity this weekend if it's still a question
Ya sure.

3ft away, parallel with the muzzle vs as close to the muzzle as possible.

As far back from the muzzle as possible - say 3 feet behind the muzzle, even behind the shooter, vs 7 inches in 2axis from the muzzle.

Those would be a start. If they turn out to be exactly the same shot by shot, regardless of placement, I think it'll be tremendous confidence we'll get the same numbers no matter what as long as it picks up the shot.

Ya sure.

3ft away, parallel with the muzzle vs as close to the muzzle as possible.

As far back from the muzzle as possible - say 3 feet behind the muzzle, even behind the shooter, vs 7 inches in 2axis from the muzzle.

Those would be a start. If they turn out to be exactly the same shot by shot, regardless of placement, I think it'll be tremendous confidence we'll get the same numbers no matter what as long as it picks up the shot.
Ok I'll see what I can manage.

I'm not a video guy but I'll see if I can manage something

Start with both side by side first to make sure they get similar numbers then I'll go through as many options as I can think of
As you said:
Parallel offset difference
Horizontal offset distance
Maybe directly under muzzle vs off to side

If anyone thinks of something let me know and I'll try

Reactions: Wall_Element

Start with both side by side first to make sure they get similar numbers then I'll go through as many options as I can think of
As you said:

Put one behind a plate @500 or 600y & shoot over the plate. Read muzzle & distance. Instead of tweeking MV in kestral for 0-600, lock it & tweek BC to get Kestral aligned. Not sure this will actually improve things, but I'm curious how well the kestrel velocity prediction aligns with real data.

Reactions: Coyote777
Put one behind a plate @500 or 600y & shoot over the plate. Read muzzle & distance. Instead of tweeking MV in kestral for 0-600, lock it & tweek BC to get Kestral aligned. Not sure this will actually improve things, but I'm curious how well the kestrel velocity prediction aligns with real data.
This for sure.

If you have the gear/range, putting one behind a plate at distance and seeing if it picks up the round would be amazing.

Even if it's a 100yds, will be cool to see if it picks it up.

This for sure.

If you have the gear/range, putting one behind a plate at distance and seeing if it picks up the round would be amazing.

Even if it's a 100yds, will be cool to see if it picks it up.

Well...
I'm shooting at home
I have 300 yards prone / bench and 400 from tripod.
I have free reign as it's my own place, but I can't do 600... sorry
I can do the 100 - 300 though no worries

As you said:

Even if you just take a picture of the situation then post speed if one or both are unreadable. Maybe take a tape measure and list that with the speed/locations. I think that would be easier than video.

Even if you just take a picture of the situation then post speed if one or both are unreadable. Maybe take a tape measure and list that with the speed/locations. I think that would be easier than video.
Yea I'll likely end up restoring to pics and text, but I'll try to catch video of each test.

I'm not a "content creator" by any means... I'm just thinking a short clip of the screens during each test

I'll prolly start with 22s and get the idea down. Then I can repeat with a center fire.

Reactions: Wall_Element
Yea I'll likely end up restoring to pics and text, but I'll try to catch video of each test.

I'm not a "content creator" by any means... I'm just thinking a short clip of the screens during each test

I'll prolly start with 22s and get the idea down. Then I can repeat with a center fire.
I think 22s will be better for the tests anyway. Much more variance in FPS round per round, and especially so in the distance tests referred to.

Velocity will drop precipitously over distance compared to CF cartridges at the distances we're talking about.

Plus, way cheaper!

For those trying to update via app / phone...
Maybe this is written somewhere but I don't recall seeing it

I noticed there is an indicator on the home screen
Screenshot_20231103_204947_ShotView~2.jpg

If you watch that while hooking up to a unit that is eligible for an update you'll notice the wheel start loading.

Screenshot_20231103_204124_ShotView~2.jpg

Screenshot_20231103_204247_ShotView~2.jpg

After that wheel finished up I got this on the unit

20231103_204918~2.jpg

View attachment 8262373
Finally found the perfect solution for me.
Pic, Arca super quick and easy.

I did something similar, but just used a 200mm nodal slide (I wanted mine to be >5" from barrel, so I chose the 200mm), popped the bubble level off, and mounted a similar Sunwayfoto SPC-50 (clamps to both arca and picatinny for $35). I did have to get a 1/4-20 FHCS as the Sunwayfoto came with a M6x1.00mm flat head screw . I found a 1" long one and cut it to length. A 3/4" long one would have worked if I could have found one. Added some 1/4-20 set screws I found in my stash to help with anti-rotation. I spent $55 plus tax. I had the QR plate, but they are ~$12, so ~$70 all in.

It gives me arca and picatinny mount to different guns and the arca QR plate on the Garmin can swap to my tripod. Puts it at ~6.25 from the barrel center to center. Definitely happy with it and works for what I want.

PXL_20231103_180707161[1].jpg

PXL_20231103_181702635[1].jpg

PXL_20231104_003118772[1].jpg

Someone help me understand why mounting on the rifle is better than just setting up on tripod on the bench/ground?
Positional shooting.

Shooting multiple targets at varying directions.

It just allows the data collection to be a secondary task. Which means most of us will end up collecting more data and be able to make better informed decisions.

Someone help me understand why mounting on the rifle is better than just setting up on tripod on the bench/ground?
I don't compete, so I don't need it for the real-time data reason. But I can see where doing this will be a nice "just in case" if there is calibration variance from distance to muzzle and from the side, this would position the chrono in the same spot for consistent readings from a set repeatable point. I'm not sure how picky the Garmin is within that 5-15" range F/B & L/R, as far as reading variance goes, but incase it is, it just eliminates one more factor. Also, like others have said, aiming at different targets in different directions, it stays with the POA for consistency in readings.

Reactions: Glassaholic
For those trying to update via app / phone...
Maybe this is written somewhere but I don't recall seeing it

I noticed there is an indicator on the home screen
View attachment 8263742

If you watch that while hooking up to a unit that is eligible for an update you'll notice the wheel start loading.

View attachment 8263743
View attachment 8263744

After that wheel finished up I got this on the unit

View attachment 8263746

Worked for mine as well, thanks for posting this.

Reactions: PlinkIt
Are these things supposed to tolerate the recoil longterm when mounted on a rifle or is this something that may bite people in the ass later?

I have one heading my way from BassPro. Ordered it yesterday when they come back in stock. Labradar are selling for $300 in the exchange right now. I would have to give my Magneto speed away and cover shipping to get rid of it.

• Wow
Reactions: Glassaholic
Positional shooting.

Shooting multiple targets at varying directions.

It just allows the data collection to be a secondary task. Which means most of us will end up collecting more data and be able to make better informed decisions.
I’m so used to load dev being mundane 100 yard target in fixed position, probably just engrained from the old Chrony days. Then came magnetospeed but that changed POI and then LabRadar which didn't seem big at the time but now seems enormous. With how small and light this is, I’m beginning to see the light. Garmin will rule the world with this thing!

Are these things supposed to tolerate the recoil longterm when mounted on a rifle or is this something that may bite people in the ass later?
Yes. The EE himself who helped develop it, shoots it off his 375 ELR guns. And it's been in development since before covid. The topic was discussed on the latest podcast of The Shooters Mindset.

When the Xero is mounted to a rifle, I'm curious if the velocity returned by the Xero is skewed in any way by the recoil of the rifle.

During recoil the Xero would be moving in the opposite direction of the bullet. Would this impart a minor increase in the velocity of the bullet? Or is this negligible...

It would be simple enough for Garmin to include a solid state accelerometer in the Xero to account for any movement imparted by recoil.

When the Xero is mounted to a rifle, I'm curious if the velocity returned by the Xero is skewed in any way by the recoil of the rifle.

During recoil the Xero would be moving in the opposite direction of the bullet. Would this impart a minor increase in the velocity of the bullet? Or is this negligible...

It would be simple enough for Garmin to include a solid state accelerometer in the Xero to account for any movement imparted by recoil.

No one has reported any difference in readings and these things have been on/off rifles for months with early/beta testers and now for a few weeks in the wild for anyone.

Reactions: Baron23 and Ichi
20231103_084041.jpg

I put one of these on each side of my Vudoo while checking a new lot of ammo.

Not particularly impressed with the ammo. However, pretty impressed with the two Garmins. Most shots measured within .2 or .3 fps of each other, with the worst being 1.7fps

I also set one at 100yds and passed some shots next to it to see velocity decay. The G1 BC that I came up with to match this was spot on with a number that my buddy has used to hit with his Rim-X out to 750. I know this would be better to do a little farther out, but I was just looking to try it out real quick and see how it worked. Didn't have an immediate need to test farther as the Applied Ballistics CDM I'm currently using seems to be on.

Last edited:
View attachment 8263976

I put one of these on each side of my Vudoo while checking a new lot of ammo.

Not particularly impressed with the ammo. However, pretty impressed with the two Garmins. Most shots measured within .2 or .3 fps of each other, with the worst being 1.7fps

I also set one at 100yds and passed some shots next to it to see velocity decay. The G1 BC that I came up with to match this was spot on with a number that my buddy has used to hit with his Rim-X out to 750. I know this would be better to do a little farther out, but I was just looking to try it out real quick and see how it worked. Didn't have an immediate need to test farther at the Applied Ballistics CDM I'm currently using seems to be on.
How did you mount the Xero downrange?

MagnetoSpeed would be affected the same way. Correlation data I’ve seen so far between both MS vs Xero mounted to gun have been pretty tight. First thing I’ll do when I get my Xero next week is correlate between my MS and Xero on MY gun. I’ll test Xero both mounted to gun and on a tripod to see if there is a difference.

Reactions: Ichi and FuhQ
I just set it on top of a 5 gallon bucket, dialed my 100yd elevation, and held 3 mils to the side of the unit.
Hhaha, this guy fucks.

No plate or nothing. Love it.

Pretty soon, we'll have a vendor offer boutique ar500 armor for your Xero for downrange applications like this though - don't you worry none.

I shoot alot of 22lr 300+ yards, and really get alot of value out of CDMs and the such to get 1st rounds on target at distance. I will certainly be using the Xero down range - behind off the shelf ar500, in fact scraps I already have, mind you. Hoping for future offerings, capabilities in this regard. Be interesting to see what this new generation of offerings will bring.

Hhaha, this guy fucks.

No plate or nothing. Love it.

Pretty soon, we'll have a vendor offer boutique ar500 armor for your Xero for downrange applications like this though - don't you worry none.

I shoot alot of 22lr 300+ yards, and really get alot of value out of CDMs and the such to get 1st rounds on target at distance. I will certainly be using the Xero down range - behind off the shelf ar500, in fact scraps I already have, mind you. Hoping for future offerings, capabilities in this regard. Be interesting to see what this new generation of offerings will bring.
Love this down range use model concept. If they add WIFI to the unit so you can get real time updates on your phone like the LongShot camera this would be yet another level of “game changer”.

Love this down range use model concept. If they add WIFI to the unit so you can get real time updates on your phone like the LongShot camera this would be yet another level of “game changer”.
True, but the best method would be for a single unit at the firing line to be able to give you FPS at various distances. MV, 50, 100, 150, 200, etc.

The Xero may already be capable of this, but it's just not built into the logic.

Or, it may require a future version. Or maybe that requires a 1200 dollar unit.

In any event, if they build one that does that as reliably as this Xero C1 does the MV - I am in. I'd take a wifi unit as well, but I'd much prefer the former.