• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Xero C1 Pro chronograph

True, but the best method would be for a single unit at the firing line to be able to give you FPS at various distances. MV, 50, 100, 150, 200, etc.

The Xero may already be capable of this, but it's just not built into the logic.

Or, it may require a future version. Or maybe that requires a 1200 dollar unit.

In any event, if they build one that does that as reliably as this Xero C1 does the MV - I am in. I'd take a wifi unit as well, but I'd much prefer the former.
Agree, that would be the ultimate application. Assuming the Xero can reliably pickup shots 500+ yards I’ll use my LongShot camera pointed at the Xero display to get real-time data.

Reactions: Wall_Element
Probably won't matter much outside, but I was pretty shocked how weak the backlight on these is. Seems even weaker after the software 3.13 update but that could just be my imagination.

Side by side with a 12 year old Garmin Etrex 30 both at 100% backlight. No flash, mid day, cloudy, fairly low light in room. Xero is 100% charged, no idea on the eTrex just grabbed it with whatever batteries it had in it. In person the difference is even more than the photo suggests. The one good thing about the older transflective monocrome displays garmin used here is they do quite well visibility wise outdoors with no backlight. A colored display would need a ton more backlight to be useable, so it probably conserves battery and color really serves no purpose in this application.

IMG_4604.jpeg

Looking at say an iphone display the 100% brightness on the garmin is equivalent to an iPhone on about 10-15%

I have to be honest, while I love tiny devices as much as the next guy, I think I'd almost rather have a bit larger display and more battery life, something similar in size to the Kestrel HUD. Better yet add HUD features to it :)

Probably won't matter much outside, but I was pretty shocked how weak the backlight on these is. Seems even weaker after the software 3.13 update but that could just be my imagination.

Side by side with a 12 year old Garmin Etrex 30 both at 100% backlight. No flash, mid day, cloudy, fairly low light in room. Xero is 100% charged, no idea on the eTrex just grabbed it with whatever batteries it had in it. In person the difference is even more than the photo suggests. The one good thing about the older transflective monocrome displays garmin used here is they do quite well visibility wise outdoors with no backlight. A colored display would need a ton more backlight to be useable, so it probably conserves battery and color really serves no purpose in this application.

View attachment 8264155

Looking at say an iphone display the 100% brightness on the garmin is equivalent to an iPhone on about 10-15%

I have to be honest, while I love tiny devices as much as the next guy, I think I'd almost rather have a bit larger display and more battery life, something similar in size to the Kestrel HUD. Better yet add HUD features to it :)

I'd love to see the ability to have the phone mirror the display and be able to control it real time. Even at the cost of battery. Just a feature you can toggle on/off knowing the cost.

Anyway, none of these are complaints, as the xero is awesome, but certainly would enjoy a number of features.

Having played with mine a bit, there’s one feature I wish it had. Clearing the data also resets user settings. I wish it didn’t. I reconfigure the data fields for my use, and I have to re-configure them when I delete all the sessions. Not a big deal by any stretch, but if anyone from Garmin is monitoring this thread, that’s my opinion.

Or perhaps I’m an idiot and there is a way to delete the data I don’t know about.

The more I use this thing the more I love it. Fantastic piece of kit.

Used the Xero for the first time this morning. Never missed a beat and app is badass. I’m just going to give my LR to a new shooter.
I will buy a Garmin in the spring. Don’t feel the need to get into the “Macy’s White Sale” panic. Haha

I will give my LR to my younger cousin. It has served me well (except for their POS app) but they have done zero product improvement in the years since its first release.

Taking advantage of newer RF and signal processing components, and deciding there is no need (for most) of LR’s more narrow beam pattern (and prob more RF output) for downrange speeds, is exemplified by Garmin’s small size and very relaxed need for Uber precise pointing.

Last edited:
Jumping the bandwagon because the labradar is trash when it comes to reliability.

I think everyone here knows the frustration of
- having to break position because of some random error to the enter button
- randomly losing shots.
- having to spend more money / time making a stand and finagling some sort of aiming point
- Until recently, having a trash app that disconnects constantly

But having a legit company throw hands in the precision shooting ring? That alone sold me. Still keeping the Magnetospeed though.

View attachment 8263596

WOW! What a difference in size! I've seen a few guys with the LR at the range I go to. No wonder everyone is jumping on the bandwagon

View attachment 8264155

Couldn't agree more about the level of brightness.

Any Hide vendors have them in stock? Or any vendors at all for that matter?
We should have later in the month. DM for 'hide pricing once we have in stock. Happy to get a few dozen out there for people to share some pics. Some vendors don't like me saying that out loud, but this is our first Garmin product, we will offer this until we get our hands slapped. Feel free to sign up for notifications at the link below. It is going to be a hot seller, so sign up everywhere :cool:. We are not taking pre-orders, just sign-ups.

We do not yet carry Lab Radar, but my view is: "Its Garmin." It has to be good. Garmin is almost as good as Wze in giving me turn by turn directions, so maybe it can follow my bullets downrange. ;)

We have gone through all the reviews online and have not seen a reason to back away. Over time, maybe someone finds where LabRadar is better, or maybe LabRadar adjusts. What I like is the low profile. I have not used LabRadar, and I have a lot of respect for their technology and for Megneto Speed. But it just looks like some big Hollywood production at the range, and Garmin seems so simple and does not announce to the World how great your toy is. LOL.

Like any technology, someone else will have something better by ShotShow. I am still following the "Who is the winner" for range finding. Another topic.

Garmin Xero C1 at Charlie's Custom Clones

Last edited:
Just used it for the first time. Should change the thread title to GARMIN JOY!

Downloaded shot view, updated, & reached full charge in about 30 min.

Ran 20 rounds from suppressed 22 & this thing rocks. I was shooting about 75y through a lot of branches & it didn't miss a shot. Must be picking up projectile pretty close to muzzle.

Ordered a Pelican 1120, but mean while it fits the Sig 8K case with the RF.
IMG_8012.jpg
IMG_8015.jpg
IMG_8017.jpg
IMG_8018.jpg

Just got back from a hunting trip with 6 friends, some didn’t have decent data so we chrono’d everyone.

Being able to plop down gun after gun and get velocities without touching anything on the unit other than saving strings is magical.

I tested some pistol rounds yesterday, the garmin was on a table about 26 inches off the ground and I was standing behind it I'm 6-1 so about 52 in above ground , recorded every shot , finally a fool proof chrony , verified some factory rounds and some hand loads I was just guessing on , I was off about 70fps , on the slow side , so good info .

I tested some pistol rounds yesterday, the garmin was on a table about 26 inches off the ground and I was standing behind it I'm 6-1 so about 52 in above ground , recorded every shot , finally a fool proof chrony , verified some factory rounds and some hand loads I was just guessing on , I was off about 70fps , on the slow side , so good info .
As a side note I'm having a little trouble navigating through the menu after the shot string to find the info I want , but that's on me as I'm somewhat computer slow, but I'll get there.

When do you think it will be for sale on Amazon?

I have some points in our work recognition portal thing that I can cash out to Amazon gift cards.

I clearly need to up my 'air rifle' numbers.

(Can we add fields to the load data in the Garmin app, to track, for example, power/charge/primer/bullet/etc/etc/etc? I have hundreds of loads in the ProChrono app, using it like a virtual log book, so like to add custom fields for future reference...)

Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 7.53.41 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2023-11-04 at 7.56.51 PM.jpg

I clearly need to up my 'air rifle' numbers.

(Can we add fields to the load data in the Garmin app, to track, for example, power/charge/primer/bullet/etc/etc/etc? I have hundreds of loads in the ProChrono app, using it like a virtual log book, so like to add custom fields for future reference...)

View attachment 8264488

View attachment 8264489
At this time, you would have to use the "Note" section of the Garmin ShotView app to store the additional data points.

1699144173042.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Terp
I clearly need to up my 'air rifle' numbers…

Daystate can definitely push them. Medium power goes supersonic with 16 gr pellets.
25 gr. stay subsonic on medium. 50+ fpe
(The “crack” is not backyard friendly)

IMG_0859.png

Last edited:
Here's an interesting statement from the Xero C1 Pro review on Outdoor Life.

That satisfied me, but I got a much stronger and more telling testimonial from the ballistic engineering team at Hornady. They have a spendy radar setup used to create the profiles for their 4DOF ballistic solver and for testing various projectiles. For the past couple months they’ve been running a couple pre-production Xeros against their radar and have reported that the velocity figures are essentially identical. That should set the mind of even the crustiest skeptic at ease.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/garmin-xero-c1-pro-review/

Used mine for the first time today. Shot an AK over it just because, picked up all 6 shots no issues. Swapped to my 6 ARC gas gun and shot 10. Again not a single missed shot. Grabbed my 338 Edge and same result from 6 shots. Tossed it in a Nanuk 904 case with a custom insert.

Attachments

• 20231104_201632.jpg
    20231104_201632.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 156
The only part about mounting on rifle for matches is you can’t shoot too fast it won’t pick up the followup shot...
Shot pretty fast today during one stage of the PRS finale and collected data with my Garmin. It caught all shots. Not a real problem unless your running a 25 second PRS skills stage barricade 😅

Used mine for the first time today. Shot an AK over it just because, picked up all 6 shots no issues. Swapped to my 6 ARC gas gun and shot 10. Again not a single missed shot. Grabbed my 338 Edge and same result from 6 shots. Tossed it in a Nanuk 904 case with a custom insert.
Do those inserts come with a pre-cut foam layer under the insert, or you do have to pick-and-pull it the best you can, then just overlay the insert? I assume it comes with the under foam, as it looks like you have nice, clean corner cuts on the underlayer...

Do those inserts come with a pre-cut foam layer under the insert, or you do have to pick-and-pull it the best you can, then just overlay the insert? I assume it comes with the under foam, as it looks like you have nice, clean corner cuts on the underlayer...
The insert I bought from a place called Range Panda and it comes all cut out. I linked it earlier in this thread. I found them when I was looking for a case for my LR after I got it and found them. The case I ordered from Amazon.

I took my xero out for a test drive with various velocity projectiles last week. made a video of it here for anyone interested.

Reactions: Defender3
Still waiting to use mine, does the app allow you to print out results?
You cannot print the results from within the app.

But you can export the Session as a CSV. Then you will need to open the CSV with another app to view/edit/print.

1699162187628.png

1699162295429.png

I took my xero out for a test drive with various velocity projectiles last week. made a video of it here for anyone interested.

lol, over the many years I've use my MagnetoSpeed, I never had such a problem as you did, mainly because (I'm sure). . . I always use the spacer bar to be sure it's in the right position. ;)

At the very first, when I set up my Garmin to compare it with my MS V3, the first 3 shots were so erroneous for what I get with my well tuned load that I was using, I figure something was wrong. As it turned out, I had the Garmin a little too for forward where the muzzle blast from my break was affecting the readings. I moved it back about 10" and from then on I got good readings and the velocities were right in line with the MS v3, having the same average MV.

Still waiting to use mine, does the app allow you to print out results?
No.

The app allows you to download each session (separately only) as a CSV file other apps like Quick Share, Gmail, AOL Email, Drive, Yahoo Mail. It's not very convenient. I simply export each session to one of my email addresses, then open the attachment and put it into my spreadsheet. And since it only does one session at a time, having multiple session, I have multiple emails to combine all the day's sessions into one Excel file.

I really think before too long Garmin will do a software update to make this less of a hassle. And eventually, they'll probably come out with another model all together that has an SD card interface and maybe some other features, like extra fields for entering other ballistic data like temperature, humidity, density altitude, etc. Of course, such a model will have to cost more. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: southernpew
Last week at my indoor range...the Oehler got zilch bc not sufficient light to get any readings... fucker next to me had a 30-06 w a big muzzle flash the printout on the Oehler was from his muzzle flash (all 0000-0000s). 🙄

In one string I fired 7 shots but the Xero only picked up 6. I was not deliberately trying to shoot fast. I fired, had my reticle settle while I ran the bolt and fired again. I remember thinking...shit that was probably too fast for the Garmin.

We have nice weather this week I’ll shoot on my home range w both setup and see how the velocities stack up.

6ED06A5B-9EB4-4623-B89E-C71D6EEF3D3E.jpeg

Reactions: Modoc
I did some testing today on Quantico's Range 4. It's always a 1,000yd day on Sunday, but I wanted to try the Garmins against the Labradar. Unfortunately, I only captured one shot on the LR, which is the problem and why I looked forward to testing the new Garmin doppler chrono (in fairness, I only tried aligning the LR a couple of times before I just went back to shooting). I shot 10rds of factory Hornady 225gr ELD-Ms unsuppressed and then suppressed with a TBAC Ultra 338. I also chrono'd 3 other rifles on the line, there were no missed shots for 30-06, 6.5 and .223 rifles, as well as my 300PRC.

The Xero C1 Pro is simply a game changer. It was the discussion point for everyone one the line and I hope I helped sell a few more units as shooters were so impressed with the size, ease of use and reliability of the unit.

ETA - A couple of suggestions for @Garmin:
  • Increase the brightness of the unit
  • Add a sequential number to the history in the session summary on the device. Even though the latest session appears at the top of the summary (and has a timestamp in the app), it will become confusing when multiple entries are saved when not using the app.
IMG_7279-3017083.jpg

ETA II - F' daylight savings time, geeeeeezeus, it's 5:30pm and dark...

I positioned the two units to the left and right of my AXMC in 300PRC with a TBAC brake.

IMG_7270-3016896.jpg

I repeated the testing with the TBAC Ultra 338 suppressor, which added some distance back to the units.

IMG_7275-3016901.jpg

The results:

Garmin_Testing_Nov_2023-3016997.jpg

We were shooting steel from 637yds to 1,000yds.

IMG_7266-3016902.jpg

Bonus pictures.

IMG_7272-3016898.jpg

IMG_7274-3016900.jpg

Last edited:
Strange, didn't think it would be 20FPS faster being further from the muzzle. I was expecting the opposite. Think I'll do some testing later on in the winter when hunting season ends. Just did some shooting where I had it rifle mounted about 22" from the muzzle. Hornady box said 2925 and I had a 5 shot average of 2992. 24" 6.5CM with 120gr GMX. Of course the box never says what the damn barrel length was in testing. Guessing Hornady tested with a 22". Barrel length statement should be listed on the box as an industry requirement.
Maybe with how much easier it will be for people to chrono, that will start to happen.

Strange, didn't think it would be 20FPS faster being further from the muzzle. I was expecting the opposite. Think I'll do some testing later on in the winter when hunting season ends. Just did some shooting where I had it rifle mounted about 22" from the muzzle. Hornady box said 2925 and I had a 5 shot average of 2992. 24" 6.5CM with 120gr GMX. Of course the box never says what the damn barrel length was in testing. Guessing Hornady tested with a 22". Barrel length statement should be listed on the box as an industry requirement.
Maybe with how much easier it will be for people to chrono, that will start to happen.
The suppressor @Defender3 used gave the extra 20 or so FPS. The distance from the muzzle wasn’t a factor.

I have been impressed with mine so far! The size makes it alot easier to just setup and get data.

Attachments

• 20231104_120454.jpg
    20231104_120454.jpg
    573.7 KB · Views: 41
My understanding, and I think Frank Green commented on it, is they use 24” barrels.

Some barrels are just faster than others, in my limited experience.

My understanding, and I think Frank Green commented on it, is they use 24” barrels.

Some barrels are just faster than others, in my limited experience.
Whenever I've seen it actually stated, yes - 24".

Reactions: Baron23
Finally got out to the range today for a ladder test on 6 ARC and try out the new Xero...
Like others here, it did not disappoint!
Never missed a shot, either on supplied tabletop tripod or mounted to the arca rail on my chassis.

Rain squall broke out mid-ladder test and it didn't affect the Garmin in the slightest, pretty heavy rain too!

So impressed!

The suppressor @Defender3 used gave the extra 20 or so FPS. The distance from the muzzle wasn’t a factor.
It's been my experience that my suppressors add 20-25fps over non-suppressed. In some cases, they also tighten up the groups.

I was also interested if the suppressor would affect the SD, but I was shooting factory ammo and this short test really showed why I need to do some load development this winter.