• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Garmin Xero C1 Pro chronograph

Csv outputs are pretty cool. First trip with it to the range today

IMG_8001.png

Attachments

• IMG_9257.png
    IMG_9257.png
    87.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4766.png
    IMG_4766.png
    509.2 KB · Views: 102
Nice graphs.

Where were you pulling your temp data from? Kestrel?

Anway, I haven't gone data mining yet - didn't even look for timestamps on the Xero CSV output for each shot. Assuming it was there?

Yes - Temp data off kestrel. I started in shade then the sun was on us is the reason the temp moved up that much. Going to store temp in my zero notes though for tracking.

The xero records timestamps and delta from average.

I shot a team match out in GA this past weekend and during the zero session I had my Garmin out. I was prone and the neighboring shooter was also prone about 5 feet away to my right. We were both shooting at the same target 100y away. Absolutely zero issues picking up my shots and avoiding his.
After my session he wanted to test it out. I literally leaned to my right and pushed it closer to his barrel. That was all it took.. I’m still amazed at how forgiving it is on “aiming.”

I shot a team match out in GA this past weekend and during the zero session I had my Garmin out. I was prone and the neighboring shooter was also prone about 5 feet away to my right. We were both shooting at the same target 100y away. Absolutely zero issues picking up my shots and avoiding his.
After my session he wanted to test it out. I literally leaned to my right and pushed it closer to his barrel. That was all it took.. I’m still amazed at how forgiving it is on “aiming.”
IIRC, doesn't the LR have a narrower beam to aid in the downrange captures? I can't think of a time I used any of the LR's downrange features, which makes the Garmin so good for my use case.

I haven't had a chance to use mine yet, aside from spacing and changing the color on the top row/first column, did you do any formatting or is this how it spit out the file?
Did not do any formatting. Just opened the saved csv file in the Apple Numbers app.

Reactions: tysonmax
IIRC, doesn't the LR have a narrower beam to aid in the downrange captures? I can't think of a time I used any of the LR's downrange features, which makes the Garmin so good for my use case.
I’ve had the unit pointed at the direction of fire out to 1000y and had no issues picking up my shots and I walked out from 100 to about 990 where the target was.
IMG_0868.jpeg

Reactions: Terp
I received mine last week but hadnt opened it I was so busy. Just opened the box and wanted to get it charged up and hot damn this thing is smaller than I thought... I had a spare Pelican 1120 laying around that I thought was small but its huge compared to this little thing. Gonna be so nice not lugging my huge Pelican 1500 Labradar around...

Reactions: LR1845 and kampr
I’ve had the unit pointed at the direction of fire out to 1000y and had no issues picking up my shots and I walked out from 100 to about 990 where the target was.
View attachment 8265548
Sorry, I was referring to the narrower beam of the LR to focus on down range velocities that the Garmin does not have, which makes it so easy to aim vs the LR.

Reactions: 021411
Just in case anyone is looking to get a cheap case for this, I got this off Amazon for mine and it fits it perfectly.

1000005956.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: verdugo60
Yes, more narrow beam pattern and perhaps more RF output but like yourself I've never needed/used the downrange speeds.

I do understand some folks want to back into BC but with 6.5 CM I generally only get 60 yard downrange data...sometimes 80 yards.

Not sure how useful that is and certainly ease of aiming the Garmin is, IMO, the smarter tradeoff.

Now, how they go about being so highly discriminating of your shot versus the guy next to you shooting the same target...dunno, tbh.

Yes, more narrow beam pattern and perhaps more RF output but like yourself I've never needed/used the downrange speeds.

I do understand some folks want to back into BC but with 6.5 CM I generally only get 60 yard downrange data...sometimes 80 yards.

Not sure how useful that is and certainly ease of aiming the Garmin is, IMO, the smarter tradeoff.

Now, how they go about being so highly discriminating of your shot versus the guy next to you shooting the same target...dunno, tbh.
I'm fortunate to be able to shoot at Quantico on weekends so, I can true at 600 / 800yds. I won't be shooting indoors or in constricted lanes and now that I'm rockin' the Garmin, I won't have to deconflict LR frequencies with the peeps around me.

Reactions: Baron23
Zero issues. I replied a few posts above about my experience this weekend at a team match. On zero day I shot next to someone for was 5 feet over to my right and we were both aimed at the same 100y target. The Xero was to my right side. It only picked up my shots.

Zero issues. I replied a few posts above about my experience this weekend at a team match. On zero day I shot next to someone for was 5 feet over to my right and we were both aimed at the same 100y target. The Xero was to my right side. It only picked up my shots.
Yeah, I get that....my point was that I do not know how, with an apparently wider beam pattern than LR, they discriminate and ensure they don't pick up other adjacent shoote's shots.

Yeah, I get that....my point was that I do not know how, with an apparently wider beam pattern than LR, they discriminate and ensure they don't pick up other adjacent shoote's shots.
I think there was a post somewhere in the thread where someone did just that and there was no issue with the unit picking up the adjacent shooter.

Did some more testing with the Garmin today. Tested a slingshot and a bow and arrow to see how well it picks both up.
This definitely tested the low end range of what it can pick up.

Reactions: Conaso
Well I found a Pelican 1060 in the closet not being used. It's a little longer than the Pelican 1120 I threw it in but about half as thick. Not as bulky and slides in the drag bag or pack easier.

Did some more testing with the Garmin today. Tested a slingshot and a bow and arrow to see how well it picks both up.
This definitely tested the low end range of what it can pick up.

You clearly limp-wristed those dropped slingshot shots, so don't go blaming Garmin, sir. :)

Reactions: Bmghunter
I think there was a post somewhere in the thread where someone did just that and there was no issue with the unit picking up the adjacent shooter.
Yes sir, I got that too. Please my post, I said I don’t know HOW Garmin does that with an apparent wider beam pattern which makes precise pointing less critical.

I never said that don’t perform as reported…I just don’t know HOW they do it.

Last edited:
The Garmin is a narrower beam, only 5ft while the lab radar is more of a cone and much larger.
Citation? Because the lack of need to very precisely point the Garmin speaks to a wider beam pattern.

And these patterns are spec’d as angles…typically the angle of. 3 db down from center. No such thing as 5’ beam patterns. It’s like MOA and mils….angles

Reactions: godofthunder
If they get close to me I don't mind doing it.

Any point of contact where you found this out willing to share future locations?

I'm not much of a video guy (proof inbound in a few) but I don't mind trying.
I can ask but not sure they will share. My wife works at Scheels in guns. The rep explained it was a "tighter" beam and higher power source. He said it would not read outside of the 5 foot cone from the unit. I am not a tech, just passing along what they said. We tested these at a match too, placed them with folks randomly - string to string with shooters about 5 to 6 feet apart and it never registered a wrong shot. Sometimes it flashed but would show on screen it deleted the shot for being outside parameters.

Reactions: Baron23 and Krob95
Used it for the first time today. No pre set up practice. Took it out of the case, put on the tripod set it next to the barrel, less than 5 minutes to set up and shoot. Shot a string of 15 at a thousand. Recorded all shots, never had to touch the unit once since the start of the session to end of session. Seamless transition of shot history to phone via the app.

It's so small no one on the line, including non-shooters, noticed that I had it set up. They still don't know, even after finishing and putting it away.

This thing is:

1699309203523.jpeg

I promised I would make an attempt to share my experiment using 2x units to compare placement

Sorry I'm not much of a producer type, but here is what happened

Thank you for doing this. This confirms that pretty much wherever you put it within reason, it is good as long as it registers the shot. My main concern was having it further back from the muzzle while mounted to the rifle. Looks like it is not anything to be concerned with. You had it near the trigger and it was within an acceptable margin of error.

Reactions: Maurygold
Just got mine, before I get to the range, any issues or gotcha with it mounted on the rifle via acra rail arm with a muzzle break on?

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0929.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0927.JPG
    IMG_0927.JPG
    266.3 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: mildot326
Thank you for doing this. This confirms that pretty much wherever you put it within reason, it is good as long as it registers the shot. My main concern was having it further back from the muzzle while mounted to the rifle. Looks like it is not anything to be concerned with. You had it near the trigger and it was within an acceptable margin of error.
No problem, and I agree from what I can tell as long as it's seeing enough to populate the speed... it's a good number👍

I'm still going to try the centerfire testing and possibly do one unit downrange as well, just haven't gotten to it yet.

I'll try to make a video of those, but it prolly won't be much better than that one lol

Reactions: Wall_Element
I did some testing today on Quantico's Range 4. It's always a 1,000yd day on Sunday, but I wanted to try the Garmins against the Labradar. Unfortunately, I only captured one shot on the LR, which is the problem and why I looked forward to testing the new Garmin doppler chrono (in fairness, I only tried aligning the LR a couple of times before I just went back to shooting). I shot 10rds of factory Hornady 225gr ELD-Ms unsuppressed and then suppressed with a TBAC Ultra 338. I also chrono'd 3 other rifles on the line, there were no missed shots for 30-06, 6.5 and .223 rifles, as well as my 300PRC.

The Xero C1 Pro is simply a game changer. It was the discussion point for everyone one the line and I hope I helped sell a few more units as shooters were so impressed with the size, ease of use and reliability of the unit.

ETA - A couple of suggestions for @Garmin:
  • Increase the brightness of the unit
  • Add a sequential number to the history in the session summary on the device. Even though the latest session appears at the top of the summary (and has a timestamp in the app), it will become confusing when multiple entries are saved when not using the app.
IMG_7279-3017083.jpg

ETA II - F' daylight savings time, geeeeeezeus, it's 5:30pm and dark...

I positioned the two units to the left and right of my AXMC in 300PRC with a TBAC brake.

IMG_7270-3016896.jpg

I repeated the testing with the TBAC Ultra 338 suppressor, which added some distance back to the units.

IMG_7275-3016901.jpg

The results:

Garmin_Testing_Nov_2023-3016997.jpg

We were shooting steel from 637yds to 1,000yds.

IMG_7266-3016902.jpg

Bonus pictures.

IMG_7272-3016898.jpg

IMG_7274-3016900.jpg
I like your Vortex Impact 4000! :D It'd be nice if something like the Vortex XM-157 was available to us.;)

And thanks for your report using 2 Xero C1's. I was thinking about doing that to see just how consistent they'd be from one unit to another.

Just got mine today. Really amazed at the small scale and weight. Here is my temporary setup using clamps & QR’s I already had until my diving board comes
View attachment 8265999View attachment 8266000View attachment 8266001View attachment 8266002View attachment 8266003View attachment 8266004
I think you need the new Vortex LRF mounted on your scope, and the Xero mounted on top of that. And then a red dot on top of the Xero for faster target acquisition.

I'm sure there's some pretty sophisticated signal processing going on in there

I'm sure there's also a lot more to the transmitted RF than just beam width to make it so discriminating.

Reactions: Ichi and Baron23
I'm sure there's some pretty sophisticated signal processing going on in there

I'm sure there's also a lot more to the transmitted RF than just beam width to make it so discriminating.
Yeah, I was thinking signal processing also but I have zero idea what they could do with a wider beam pattern to increase discrimination of shooter vs guy at next bench.

But, it’s just idle speculation on my part.

Again, I’ll get one in the spring after the Macy’s White Sale Day panic buying. I’ll give my LR to my cousin as the price on those units has dropped thru the floor.

Have a splendid day

Cheers

Reactions: 308pirate
Good use of available items.
My range bag is heavy and packed to the gills.
Do you have any concerns that the lever arm might torque/damage/break the Garmin Xero mounting point?
Anything is possible but it's a good fit in the box, I'd say it's much less likely than it would be without the box. That said, if it's a concern, take the rail off and there would be enough room in the Berger box for the foam packing the bullets usually ship with to pad the garmin.