• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gauging interest, ELR Match in CO this Fall

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    I am putting together a course design for Trigger Time Gun Club for them to host an ELR Match.

It will be a weekend match, Saturday & Sunday, that goes to at least 2500 yards.

We are looking to limit it to no more than about 25 shooters, minimum caliber will be 338LM and it will be considered a gentleman's course of fire. I anticipate less than 50 rounds total, with the closest target being 1000 yards.

One of the questions I have, is there enough interest to get at least 20 people (sure we can do it with 10) and are those who are interested in it, also interested in a train up prior, like a Thursday / Friday to get their fancy ELR rigs dialed in ?

It's the same location we shot the Cup, and there is a lot of land there, we have better than 2600m on both sides of the range. So I am envisioning two squads that can flip days, Squad A starts on the west, B on the east and then flip. Both sides will start at 1000 and go beyond.

Nothing fancy, not run & gun with your 25LBS .50, just a solid target package (considering using the mover past 1k) and a lot of fun.

T3 Firearms Training - T3 Firearms Training

I'm interested in the match. I'm new to ELR, what is a gentleman's course of fire? 50 rounds sounds reasonable per day, 50 spread over a weekend seems a lot more spread out but again, this is all new territory for me.

I'd potentially be interested in maybe a one day train up prior. Doesn't have to be all inclusive but maybe just a basic lesson plan, check zero, maybe a little calibration at distance.

Rich

A gentleman's course is more about the fun and experience shooting than it is about the competition side of it.

it's a slower pace and not a sprint to the finish line.

Round count wise, when you consider the cost of ELR Ammo, I believe 50 rounds is a nice medium, these are not race guns, so you are not there to shoot 10 round strings of fire at targets. The competition should be focused on the maximum number of hits in the least amount of shots. I can easily make it a 100 round event in 2 days, but for some that can mean almost $1000 in ammo alone, so keeping the ammo costs down can help. $400 on ammo is much better than $750. If you want to shoot more than I would consider the train up part of it.

Think of like a day at the golf course and not a day at the races.

Makes sense on ammo costs, I'm just thinking 25rds/day isn't much shootin' and with ELR distances might more rounds per target be reasonable? 3/tgt versus 2/tgt we typically see? I read that on your gunsite test article.

Either way, I'm interested.

Rich

The 4 day XLR Class at Gunsite has a 200 round count, sure you can shoot more, but 200 is what they recommend.

ELR is about quality, not as much quantity. Yes we can raise it, 3 shots per target but I still wouldn't go much above 50, these guns are not designed for high rates of fire. Maybe saying 75 would make it worth it, but I bet it gets pricey and abusive.

i'm game but it will be at least a year before i get a build that meets minimum.

I see what you mean. I'm interested for sure and with enough notice and a price locked down the odds go up.

My only issue, as usual, is time off. When in the fall are you thinking? Sounds like fun and I need to button down a load for the 338LM!

No, we don't handicap the 308 vs ???? It's Tactical Precision Rifle, not F/TR vs Open, everything is considered a Open class

Sure we now have a top 308 shooter, but that is really more for new shooters.

It's a gentleman's match, you run what you have, there is no handicap...

I'm very interested LL. I've been waiting for a comp/event like this to come around for a long time.... quality of shots over quantity, ranges from 1k to 3k. Are you thinking of shooting known ranges, or competitors using field ranging gear? Or a combination of both??

Only small problem for me is I wouldn't be able to make it in September. Not that it matters much, but weeks 1-3 of August would work for me personally.

Was thinking first weekend of Oct ...

It would be a combination of ranging. It's not practical to mil range past 800 yards, it doesn't work unless you have a billboard to range. Lasers would be necessary.

Like what a 300WM? Or 300NM?

I honestly dont don't think they will be competitive but I will consider it. We plan on shooting a Bunch past a mile.

Yes but in my case it'd be 30-375R with 230 hybrids at 2940 fps.

I'd just be doing it for fun. The 375's and 408's would have a sizable advantage but I'd enjoy seeing every ones gear and what their rigs are capable of.

Steve - Don't you shoot a larger CT based cartridge? I thought I remember reading some of your stuff when I was building my first 375CT. I could be wrong.

Man, what you are talking about would sure be tempting, especially with a train up day. It would be a long drive, but if we are done cutting beans by then, i would have to make that. Im sure i could learn alot!

id be in, if I was going to come all that way, I would want to shoot more than 50 rounds for the match though, something a little more would be nice IMO, maybe 75

Fantastic idea here. I'm interested. I got out of competition a year or so ago just because I didn't like what competition does to some of my fellow shooters. Money on the line, distance traveled, and all the variables at play... some folks get mighty pissy if they don't do well. No one wants to risk giving up some tips to a novice shooter, because they want to protect their place in line! That got me down over a few years of competing in LR events.

The idea of a "gentlemenly" atmosphere at a shoot is very appealing to me. It would be a fantastic opportunity to get a lot of ELR kit in the same location. Think of all that can be learned if everyone there isn't "competing" with everyone else!!!

If the focus stays on camaraderie, learning, fun, and not on competition... I'm in.

Also, I agree with you Lowlight, in that we'd want to keep the round count low. 50 rounds in a day is a lot of ELR. 25 per day seems right on the money to me. Setting up for a proper shot at that distance takes a hell of a lot of time, so the format and time considerations would need to be completely different from a regular match.

Sponsors attend the training the day before for free right? ;)

Steve - Don't you shoot a larger CT based cartridge? I thought I remember reading some of your stuff when I was building my first 375CT. I could be wrong.

Yes but I sold it a few years ago. A friend still has his and he hasn't shot it in years so maybe he'd lend it out.

I want to make it worth it for all, I can up the round count to say 75 so people feel it is worth the time, even 80 would be good, with 40 a day, that sort of balances the, make it worth it, without going over the top with it.

40 per day is a good number if people like the idea of it.

I have no issue with a 30 cal wildcat that is pushing a heavier bullet harder. I just don't people coming with a 300WM thinking a 190gr @ 2900 is gonna do it.

The two day train up and match sounds good just say when and I will sign up,

Single Shot is fine, but no front rests, this is field shooting, and not F Class

No front rests, but a bipod is Ok, right?

Hopefully there's no course of fire requiring standing or kneeling unsupported, that would be hell if I was shooting a 50BMG.

I plan on attending. Will there be an entry fee?

I may not be able to swing it this time because of training but would be interested in future ELR stuff out there!

I'm Interested in this gentelmans course of fire to learn. Im in Cheyenne and if I'm not having to work I'll be there.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'm interested, what's the altitude approximately. October weather in CO can be pretty diverse right?

Please count me in, as soon as details are available I will be ready.!!!