• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gauging interest, ELR Match in CO this Fall

I'd also love to spectate and learn, since I don't have any big-bore ELR rifles to attempt 2500 yard shots with.

That weekend I will miss Friday but a Saturday-Sunday match will be fine count me in.

I can do that weekend also and will probably be interested in the train up as well

Just a few observations since I attended the first ELR get together in Va months ago. Because of the very long range and the number of targets as you move out, you lose more rounds than you would like to get in the ballpark for each target. These shots add up and may exceed the ones thrown seriously at a target. If the dirt is not showing dust, it can be very hard to see the early shots on a target (especially with wind). This happened for us at all ranges above 2400 feet even with MANY high dollar Big Eye optics trying hard to pick up a hint.

Each man is trying to get the MOST of of his rig, whether a LM or a 20 mm wildcat. There is NO direct competition that would mean anything unless two guys had the same configuration. This organization was done to promote extreme long range shooting capability. It is not a competition between bench guns, tactical, F class or any other category of rifles. We had some shoot from the ground, some from benches, with each man trying to optimize HIS rifle.

Over time, we are trying to expand the possible to a 3 mile shot on a personal weapon. If someone builds a 100 lb 1/2 million dollar 20 mm case "1 of" on wheels shooting 1800 grains, I want to be there to see what he can do. The fact that it weighs more than mine, cost more than mine, has a better optic than mine should mean nothing. If he ends up with something worth pursuing, it likely will show up next time in a trimmer nature. THIS IS NOT A COMPETITION but a celebration of the opportunity to own such equipment and have the freedom (for now) to exercise it.

Most of us are not allowed to play with dynamite or C4 and this will have to do in that regard.

You are likely too far away for me to make it, but I might get a buddy to fly me out. It is worth a try.

Last edited:
I'm committed for all three days, Last week of September is a Great time to be in the CO rockies. Let me know.Thank You.

Need to know start times for each day as I will need to know if I should book a room in Fort Morgan, or if I can travel each day from Boulder or FTC.

I'm committed for all three days, Last week of September is a Great time to be in the CO rockies. Let me know.Thank You.

I'm in.

Let us know more details as you figure them out. It will be good to see alot of the 'big names' and see how their rigs shoot.

What kind of DA is it up there during those times?

Edit: So I just confirmed with the wife that we are good to go. She will actually join and shoot my savage, as long as I don't sell it by then.

Last edited:
Sounds fun, I am busy hunting in the fall, but would be definitely interested if you end up making a habit out of these matches.

Is this match a go? I have shit trying to creep into my calendar around the end of Sept., but am still holding the last weekend open....

Lowlight,
Has the been a determination if this is going to happen or not? Is there a cost estimate? Have a friend that wants to go and we may drive out to attend.
Thanks,

Last weekend in September was what he mentioned last but I've not heard it confirmed yet.

No, it is not happening, it interferers with too much going on.

The 1st week of Oct was best, but that conflicted with a lot of guys hunting, they are talking about something informal but the match is not gonna happen at this point, at least not in 2014.

They have the capability it's just putting it all together and they are certainly wanting to do it as they have 375CT DTAs they are looking to stretch out to distance.

Gauging interest, ELR Match in CO this Fall

Yeah: SAC is August; ASC is September; then late October is Rifles Only's .308 match.

I would love to have a reason to take advantage of those non-stop flights to Denver, though...

Last edited:
Too bad, was looking forward to this one! Always next year though

Okay I will be making an Official post but what we are gonna do is an ELR Rendezvous @ T3 here in CO.

We are looking at the weekend of the 25th in Oct, the gathering will be Saturday and Sunday.

We are gonna provide targets, learning and laid back ELR sessions from 1000 to 2500 yards (potentially further) to include a mover at 1000 yards.

It will be limited, the cost is looking like $300 for the weekend and we will provide lunch on both days. Slots will be limited, but overall we are looking to set the stage for an expanded event.

The course will be divided into multiple section, we'll get you calibrated in the morning and then take some time to informally score the afternoon.

Wildcats capable of a mile and rifles up to .50 will be no problem. Target package there is excellent, we will be mostly shooting 18x30 IPSCs but will have some bigger targets at the further distances.

Standby for the link to sign up and the official announcement

Lowlight,

It sounds like a great time... Is it worth coming if I have a DTA 338LM? We shoot it regularly at 1000 yards, and have had it out to 1760 a few times. What do you think?

It will definitely work for a 338, and the guys at T3 are big DTA Shooters, they are shooting them regularly out to 2000+ here.

The range is nicely aligned in that the target we use for the smaller calibers are easily shot at distances beyond by simply moving the line.

We can do 1000 yards, move the line to get 1800, and then move the line again and get 2500 on the same targets.

And the range is at 5000ft above sea level, so things fly better

Lowlight,

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a great setup.

We do our ELR shooting here at 6000-6600 ft, so I will see a little bit of slow down at 5000 ft. Not much though. :D

w()()t!

Nothing like firing, and hearing the steel sing back at you 6 seconds later. ;)

Abq, the 338 is really going to suffer past 1800yds. The factory 26 will suffer greatly beyond 1800, and be severely handicapped against 375CT's and the like past 1500. That is even true of my TS Customs 30" 338 barrel I have for my DTA. For what its worth. ;)

I'm in. EDM .408CT and/or Barrett M95 50BMG. Both suppressed.

Hope the 2K targets are big. This ELR game is not easy.....

Last edited:
Going to try and make the new dates but I'll be surprised if there's a slot left by the time I know if I can get the time off. Fingers crossed.

I would be in but, OCT14 won't work for me. I would like to see a date 2015 for the same thing. 80rds would be a nice compromise.