• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Geissele SSA trigger + JP springs

Tx_Flyboy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2011
Houston, Tx
As the title says, anyone tried this combination? Specifically, what is/was the resulting pull weight?

I probably need to just pony up cash and buy the NM trigger, however, $279 is a bit salty...if i can get same results with the SSA + JP springs (4.5lb pull weight with a softer 2nd stage break), i can save pretty substantial amount of money.

Please chime in with your experiences.

Also, please refrain from responses such as "get a timmney" or "brand X works good".

I need this discussion to be specifically about geissele trigger with or without JP springs.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Geissele SSA trigger + JP springs

I've used a regular sear spring in the Geissele which brought the second stage weight down a bit. You can tune the first stage by bending the trigger spring slightly, but too much and it won't reset.

@tactical support,

The application will be in a 308AR, shooting handloaded ammo w non-military primer...I have a JP trigger in other 308AR, and only have problems with Monarch ammo from the eastern block...I think you may have something.

@hdbiker,

From what i read, the first stage is fine, i dont need to tune it. its the second stage i have a problem with. Some reviews have described is as "hitting a wall". I dont want to hit a wall. I want the trigger to break without too much effort, which i why i thought about just picking up some JP springs.

The trigger has to have a pull weight no less than 4.5lb...i'm starting to wonder if i should just spend the money and get the NM trigger?

I've only installed one Hi-speed NM from Geissele and that is the way to go, but like you said, spendy.

Buddy of mine has the three gun with the full jp springs way light and very easy to double. Not exactly what you asked I would try bending springs first might get the pull weight for free hope this helps.

I have two of the Geissele Match triggers and I highly recommend them. They are easy to install with the tools they provide and are completely adjustable.I wouldn't use them in a work rifle though, I only use them for target and hunting applications. I also have there SD-E and SSA-E triggers which are extremely nice also but no where near as light as the Match triggers. I put together a lower for my niece and used a set of JP springs with the trigger that came with a parts kit. It was an improvement over stock but not even close to the SSA-E I replaced it with before I gave it to her. I haven't tried it but I don't believe a SSA-E trigger with JP springs would be any where near as nice as a Match. HTH

Chris

I LOVE my Geissele D3G more than you can understand. If you don't mind a light trigger pull, that's the route I would go

Thanks for the input guys...

"...The bitterness of poor quality lingers after the sweet taste of a low price is long forgotten..."

I think i will just spend the money and get the Geissele NM trigger.

Here's the second question: How does the NM trigger compare to the Match rifle trigger?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tx_Flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the input guys...

"...The bitterness of poor quality lingers after the sweet taste of a low price is long forgotten..."

I think i will just spend the money and get the Geissele NM trigger.

Here's the second question: How does the NM trigger compare to the Match rifle trigger? </div></div>

All the adjustable triggers are NM. They come in Match, DMR and Service. I like the DMR the best for all around (in the NM category).

Match - 1st and 2nd stages are both light. (1-1.3lb, then 4-14oz)
Service - 1st stage heavy (4.0) 2nd stage (0.5-1.5lb)
DMR - 1st Match light, 2nd stage Service. (0.5-1.5lb)

To me the Service felt like a really clean SSA-E. The Service is the one if you want 4.5lbs
The Match is almost too light for me (in an AR platform).

I have the NM Service Rifle triggers in two lowers built for DCM comp. I bought them having not tried them before. I'm still trying to get used to them. My other "Match " triggers are Knight's, and I'm not sure I don't like them better:

The knight has a ~ 2lb 1st stage with a 2.5 lb second, enough second stage weight to come up on the second without pushing through.

The Giesselle Service has a heavy 1st with a VERY light second. Very easy to push through to a click/bang. I upped the second's weight and still need to get some significant time on the triggers before I trust myself to shoot them in public.

On an entirely related note, I am a long time pistol and rifle competitor, so a quality trigger is nothing new.

I also have a Giesselle NM DMR trippger I have not taken out of the bag yet, but suspect it might be a better choice for my style. I will probably run one of my DCM lowers with my Compass Lake .22lr upper to see if I can adjust myself where I can come up smartly on the second stage without pulling through during the rapid fire stage.

Just some thoughts from the firing line.

Mike

Thanks for your input tactserv,

I am buying this trigger for DCM competition. I have already ordered one for my Rock River NM though i havent assembled the rifle yet.

I'm also building an M110 off DPMS recievers for NRA cross the course & service rifle long range prone comps. I need to order a trigger for this build as well.

I have shot geissele trigger in borrowed guns, and the only complaint i have is the click-bang effect. I always thought the second stage could use more resistance especially in the sitting and prone rapids. For standing and prone slow-fire, the light second stage is an advantage as the light force keeps you from yanking the trigger and shooting a 6 or worse
shocked.gif

I guess i should just shoot the geissle and get used to it.

I just bought a DPMS LR-308 and am strongly considering replacing the factory trigger. As background, this is my first AR platform rifle and I have expressly used bolt guns up to this point. From the standpoint of even a factory bolt gun trigger, the factory trigger on the DPMS leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway, can anyone describe the break on a geissele DMR trigger. I would describe the trigger on the LR-308 as mushy and creepy. Not at all like the glass rod of a bolt gun. Is the second stage break on the geissele crisp (like breaking a glass rod), or is there still a lot of creep. I realize that there will be a lot of take up in an AR platform trigger (the first stage), but I would still like it to break crisply. Thank you for any responses.

hlee,

I started out with a DPMS LR-308 with a 24" SS fluted barrel and the crappy factory trigger. It is one of the worst contraptions ever devised.

You are on the right track by replacing it with a Geissele trigger.

I installed a JP single stage in mine. The JP is amazing. It is by no means a true drop in trigger. I ended up shipping my lower off to JP to do the install.

The trigger is excellent with no creep, no take-up(its a true single stage trigger), it just breaks when the pressure reaches critical mass (3.5lbs).

I would describe the JP as pushing on a wall, and then, when you exert a certain amount of force, the wall collapses without creaking or shifting...an excellent, predictable, single-stage trigger.

Back to your question, I have shot a WOA tuned rock river two stage trigger and the Geissele NM service rifle trigger. The geissele is smoother (a little too smooth) than the rock river, but requires practice to better predict when the 2nd stage will break.

I wish that an AR manf would come up with a savage accutrigger for ARs...it is by far the best trigger i have ever fondled...simply amazing.

Huber makes a trigger that will blow a accutrigger out of the water.

The JP single stage is standard equipment on the DPMS SASS and I've been running one and it's ok, but doesn't compare well to the two stage trigger in an M110. At least not when the weight is 5lbs. The SASS gun from DPMS uses stock springs though not the lighter JP and my biggest gripe with it is the pull is too heavy. It feels like 5lbs easily. Working it accurately is SLOW to the extent it screws the purpose of a semi auto over a bolt gun.

I have an LMT MWS that I swapped to the JP trigger spring (OEM otherwise), and it is a two stage, 3lb trigger. Very nice.

Griffin,

I don't know who installs the JP triggers on the DPMS guns, but the installer matters. A lot of fitting, grinding, timing the disconnect, assembly & re-assembly is required...which is why i sent my lower to JP for installation.

It sounds the trigger in your gun is not even a legitimate JP trigger, so your review of the trigger must be qualified.

I've never shot the knights two stage trigger, but i imagine if it was as good as you say, many people would be running one. Most people are not, so i would say its not as good as a geissele.

I still stand by my assertion that JP trigger is a great single stage trigger. No creep, just a predictable break at 3-3.5lbs depending on finger placement. Unfortunately, its not ideal for highpower/DCM applications.

Huber trigger...i'm sure they are great...but its installed on an inferior platform... Remington 700
whistle.gif