• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

German 8MM Mauser buy.?

JoshcBoucher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Northern Delaware.
So I'm in the gun store, buying some primers and powder, and this "Old guy" walks in and puts an old gun on the counter. "My dad brought this back, from the WAR. I'd like to sell it. What would you give me for it?" Mauser 98, with bayonet, matching numbers on everything, with original sling. "German Eagles", all over the gun. Perfect bore, not much rust. 70% new. Cut stock for "duffle bag" fit. Store guy says 300. Old guy says no. I say 400. Old guy says OK. So now I've got a Mauser. What should I do? I bought 2 boxes of 8mm shells. Now' I"m thinking: should I shoot it or save it? bcd 43, on the top of the action Serial # starts 40--.

Re: German 8MM Mauser buy.?

First, stop. Do not refinish it or (Lord forbid) "sporterize" it.

Given that you've got a chance to document the real provenance of that rifle, I would waste no time in getting back in touch with the seller and seeing if you can find out:

1 - Name, Rank, what unit was his father with?
2 - Approximate date & location the rifle was recovered?
3 - Circumstances of its capture? e.g. after battle of (x).
4 - How he brought it or shipped it back.

"bcd" is Gustloffwerke. Those are good rifles. You could have done a lot worse, but the possible connection to the provenance of the gun is the real jewel here.

HTH,

--Fargo007

+1 to Fargo's comments and see, if at all possible, if the guy has any bringback paperwork on it.

If it is, in fact, all matching, even with the duffel cut, you paid probably less than half of it's actual value, depending on condition. If it has paperwork with it, that jumps the value even more.

Any chance you could post some good pics?

Thanks, so far. Trust me . I WILL not "touch" the gun, except oiling it, cause I "think" I know what that does to value. I'd thought about the "provenance", and thought that I should get that. Thanks for the input, on that! Any more advice would be Greatly appreciated. Here's what I told the "guy".If I find out that the gun is worth a lot more, I'd send him more money. I'm not going to "screw" some one.We made a "deal", but... Right is right. I just don't know what I have.I don't know much about these old guns.Any input on "value" would help.

I wouldn't worry about shooting it. However, duffel cut stocks can come apart when you shoot them. There are methods of repairing them for use as shooters, though. Is it cut under the rear band?

Just got done sanding the "whole gun down" with 220. Put 120 on the stock. She shines! JUST KIDDING!!!!!!! She sits,oil on her. Nothing else. Won't move, until I hear something. Called the "owner", and he's going to give a "provenance", as best as he can.It's his his Uncles gun. We'll see. Going to send him "more money" if I have a "good one". Just don't know how much.What is she worth??????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joshboucher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is she worth?????? </div></div>
Hard to say. I haven't seen it, yet.
grin.gif

If it truly is all matching and correct, I'd say $1000-1200 for the rifle, alone. If he has capture papers, even more. The bayonet and sling could be worth as much on their own, as you paid for the rifle. Depends on what they are, too.

Has the cut been repaired, or is it still separated?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, stop. Do not refinish it or (Lord forbid) "sporterize" it.

Given that you've got a chance to document the real provenance of that rifle, I would waste no time in getting back in touch with the seller and seeing if you can find out:

"bcd" is Gustloffwerke. Those are good rifles. You could have done a lot worse, but the possible connection to the provenance of the gun is the real jewel here.

HTH,

--Fargo007 </div></div>

There is a right way to "sporterize" a Mauser, and a wrong way to sporterize a Mauser. The right way tends to cost several thousand.

But if the Mauser in question is a true war bring back, or even if everything matches, I wouldn't do anything to it.

Besides, war production Mausers' usually take more time to make into a fine custom gun (lots of tool marks).

Post some pictures!!! I know I'm not the only one who loves old Mausers and I know these guys can tell you a hell of a lot about your rifle from just seeing some pictures.

-Dylan

First his dad brought the gun back, then it's his uncle? Sounds like this guy knows how to sell a gun. My bet is that he bought it back when mausers were cheap and plentiful (even the swastika stamped mausers were a dime a dozen) and he used it as a shooter. And now he's taking advantage of the '13 gun scare and combining it with a cool story.

If he has paperwork get it from him. It's not worth an additional $300 bucks, even if its true.

I'm not going to do anything more, than a coat of oil, for now. I "know" what this is. A true "bring back" Talked to the guy twice, since I bought it. He's getting me the papers. It's his uncles gun. I got it wrong, the first time. The gun will not be Fu-ked with. It'll stay just as she is. I would like to shoot her. Maybe not. That's the real question. I'd love to "hit the range", and shoot a piece of history, but I don't want to hurt the gun, or it's value.I sit, and stare. What did this gun "see in action"?......... And on? I am humbled.....<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dangedan87</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, stop. Do not refinish it or (Lord forbid) "sporterize" it.

HTH,

--Fargo007 </div></div>

There is a right way to "sporterize" a Mauser, and a wrong way to sporterize a Mauser. The right way tends to cost several thousand.

But if the Mauser in question is a true war bring back, or even if everything matches, I wouldn't do anything to it.

Besides, war production Mausers' usually take more time to make into a fine custom gun (lots of tool marks). </div></div>

You would have had to have been there, and looked in the Man's eyes.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joyola</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First his dad brought the gun back, then it's his uncle? Sounds like this guy knows how to sell a gun. My bet is that he bought it back when mausers were cheap and plentiful (even the swastika stamped mausers were a dime a dozen) and he used it as a shooter. And now he's taking advantage of the '13 gun scare and combining it with a cool story.

If he has paperwork get it from him. It's not worth an additional $300 bucks, even if its true. </div></div>

Still separated. Nothing done. the guy at the store said I should "epoxy it" Not a chance in hell..<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Joop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joshboucher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is she worth?????? </div></div>
Hard to say. I haven't seen it, yet.
grin.gif

If it truly is all matching and correct, I'd say $1000-1200 for the rifle, alone. If he has capture papers, even more. The bayonet and sling could be worth as much on their own, as you paid for the rifle. Depends on what they are, too.

Has the cut been repaired, or is it still separated? </div></div>

We should "talk" further. I'm just below the Pa. border, in Centerville,De. above Winterthur. Were are close.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fargo007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, stop. Do not refinish it or (Lord forbid) "sporterize" it.

HTH,

--Fargo007 </div></div>

A true all matching 98k with the original sling (look for the makers stamp on the sling) and bayonet if the bayonet matches the scabbard and better yet matches the rifles serial number even in 70% condition if not for the duffle bag cut would be worth WELL north of $1000 before the current insanity. I don't know how much the cut would devalue the rifle but I am willing to bet not that much if it is a righteous 98K. I would go on gunboards.com and post a query on the German 98k forum post your question with detailed photos. Those guys really know their stuff and will give you the answers you seek.

I checked the gun. All numbers match. Bolt, front rings, etc. I found no marks on the sling. No stamps, on the stock, as I've seen some, on other guns, on the web. No numbers, on the bayonet. No scabbard. The only marks, on the bayonet were Simson& Co. Suhl. Just leather, on the sling and the "hardware". No Marks, but I don't know where to look. I haven't "taken the gun apart, cause I don't know how to do that properly". This is fun, and frustrating, at the same time. I've got "something",and I don't want to screw it up. Moving slowly. Oiled the Gun, and she sits. Waiting more info. Will take Sat., to try Pics. Got a Kid coming, that "knows how". Will update. At this point, I think it's the real deal. We'll see. Some guy had doubts. I do too. We're not talking a lot of "value" here, cash wise, but the History is important. We won't see many more of these. quote=Santo]A true all matching 98k with the original sling (look for the makers stamp on the sling) and bayonet if the bayonet matches the scabbard and better yet matches the rifles serial number even in 70% condition if not for the duffle bag cut would be worth WELL north of $1000 before the current insanity. I don't know how much the cut would devalue the rifle but I am willing to bet not that much if it is a righteous 98K. I would go on gunboards.com and post a query on the German 98k forum post your question with detailed photos. Those guys really know their stuff and will give you the answers you seek. [/quote]