• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting a cleaning rod stuck halfway down the bore

Helix

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2009
Australia
..has to be about the scariest thing I've encountered while ever cleaning a rifle. It happened to me tonight, and I leave for a big hunt early in the morning. I'm ultra paranoid about keeping my rifle in good working order, but tonight i had a jag slip through the patch somehow and scrunch up, jamming the rod in the centre of the bore, I couldn't push it through or pull it back with all my might. Ended up having to gently tap it all the way through with a hammer! I thought the bore would be screwed for sure, but I inspected it closely and all the rifling somehow appears to be fine. It was the first time this has happened, does anyone know any good ways to prevent this? It looks like I got lucky and got away with it this time but I sure as hell wouldn't like to go through that again!

Re: Getting a cleaning rod stuck halfway down the bore

i suggest a different jag and or patch.

I'm just using the standard spear tipped jags and tetra-gun pre-cut patches specific to my calibre, I didn't think it would cause something like this. Perhaps I ought to try the looped ones. At the moment I'm still catching my breathe.. I thought I'd just screwed my only rifle. It looks to be fine, I hope it still shoots straight! heh

Maybe it was a fluke. I have been "over-cleaning"
smile.gif
rifles for 25 years and never had that one happen.

Did it gradually become difficult, or did it come on all the sudden? In other words, once it started to become difficult, did you try pulling the rod back out, or did you jam it in making it worse?

the rod just stopped half way down, I couldn't pull it back out and I couldn't push it in further, the patch just came loose all of a sudden and scrunched into a ball. At first I had no idea what was going on. My old man said the only thing I could do, as it had happened to him once before, was too gently tap the end of the rod with a hammer til the patch and jag come out the muzzle.. turns out I had to tap it all the way out. The fact that the rifling and crown appears undamaged seems nothing short of a mircale. Whatever they use inside those Winchester heavy varmint barrels is pretty hardy!

May be a one time thing. I don't know the patches used, but make sure they are tight woven so they don't spread out and open up, allowing the jag to poke through. If that happens, as you know, it binds.

Well it seems that that's what happened to me. I've spent so much time worrying about how hardy the lands of the rifling are, it seems the inside of a barrel is far tougher than I thought. Especially given that it had a stainless steel rod with a sharp metal jag hammered all the way through it. Having said that though, I still don't want this to happen again.

Well.. I suppose my question really should be, how noticable is it when you have done damage to the bore when looking at it with the naked eye :S ?? I guess I'll find out over the next few days if I get to take a few shots!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..has to be about the scariest thing I've encountered while ever cleaning a rifle. It happened to me tonight, and I leave for a big hunt early in the morning. I'm ultra paranoid about keeping my rifle in good working order, but tonight i had a jag slip through the patch somehow and scrunch up, jamming the rod in the centre of the bore, I couldn't push it through or pull it back with all my might. Ended up having to gently tap it all the way through with a hammer! I thought the bore would be screwed for sure, but I inspected it closely and all the rifling somehow appears to be fine. It was the first time this has happened, does anyone know any good ways to prevent this? It looks like I got lucky and got away with it this time but I sure as hell wouldn't like to go through that again!</div></div>

I have found that if you wet a patch with solvent, put in over a jag and run it down a dry, carbon fouled barrel, it will sometimes hang up. I use a patch and loop to soak, then a bronze brush to loosen, then a jag and patch to push carbon out of the barrel.

Have you ever had yours stuck as badly as mine though? I really had to hammer it out, with a good 40+ firm taps!

The rifling looks fine and even, although I wouldn't exactly say it looks "extremely well defined", although I have very little experience on the matter. I've just got my fingers crossed that she still shoots well!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Helix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever had yours stuck as badly as mine though? I really had to hammer it out, with a good 40+ firm taps!

The rifling looks fine and even, although I wouldn't exactly say it looks "extremely well defined", although I have very little experience on the matter. I've just got my fingers crossed that she still shoots well!</div></div>

Yes, same as you describe. I used vise grips with leather to protect my Dewey cleaning rod and tapped the vise grips slowly and carefully until it came out the same way it went in... no fun!!
Of course this never happened until cleaning my first $3000 GAP rifle.

I doubt you damaged your bore the way you described it, just a lesson learned. When it happened to me, I called George at GAP. He just laughed and said that the brass jag will not damage the bore. You will stop worrying as soon as you see it still shoots.

Instead of piercing the (cheap) patches in the center, pierce them to one side of the patch thereby making them fit firm but not overly tight. This will prevent the PH jag slipping through.

This has happened to me and I say cheap patches above as I have have had this happen with 100% cotton patches that are tight knit. The synthetic patches are shit.

as I said above....ditch the pointed jag and get a Parker Hale Jag. Your problems will be over.

Parker Hale jags allow you to use more of the patches surface area and give you uniform contact without bunching. I will never go back to loops or standard jags for precision rifles.

BTW, use a real Parker Hale, not the "double duty" one that Dewey includes with their rod.

Here is the version for the Dewey Rod (which I highly suggest)
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=543382

thanks guys. Yeah smashing the rod down the bore is some scary stuff, I was half expecting to find grazes in the rifling down parts of the bore, or atleast some minor damage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as I said above....ditch the pointed jag and get a Parker Hale Jag. Your problems will be over.

Parker Hale jags allow you to use more of the patches surface area and give you uniform contact without bunching. I will never go back to loops or standard jags for precision rifles.

BTW, use a real Parker Hale, not the "double duty" one that Dewey includes with their rod.

</div></div>

That's what I use. I wrap the patch tightly around the jag and turn the jag a few times to get it to cling. Stick the whole works in the bore guide and I am ready to go.

[quoteHere is the version for the Dewey Rod (which I highly suggest)

That's what I use. I wrap the patch tightly around the jag and turn the jag a few times to get it to cling. Stick the whole works in the bore guide and I am ready to go.
] [/quote]

Yeah but what size patch?
wink.gif

Anyone ever use the Brownells patches? about 2" square, made of a fairly heavy fabric. Some of the fringe threads actually fall off. I find I don't need to brush when using these as they are coarse enough as is!

I cut them diagonally and push the resulting triangles through until they start showing clean. Sometimes they do hang up though, and you just have to butt stroke that rod the rest of the way...

Helix, will let us know how she shoots when you take her out please???

Queequeg,

I had the devil with patches, but I ended up using the .30 cal and cut them into quarters. It does not give a nice long contact area like you are probably getting with the diagonal halves, but the rod goes through smoothly without flexing and it is a nice tight fit.

David

That is the thing about the Parker Hale jags. They are much more size tolerant.

I use patches with the Parker Hale that would NEVER fit down the bore with a standard jag.

I thought we all quit cleaning?
smile.gif

I had about 400 down my .308 and could not resist any longer despite the fact it was still shooting. Pulled out a couple nasty looking grey patches from the carbon but that was it, not one sign of copper. I dont know if I can attribute that to the BN Im running on the bullets or the ultra bore coat I put in the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Instead of piercing the (cheap) patches in the center, pierce them to one side of the patch thereby making them fit firm but not overly tight. </div></div>
Exactly. Most jags sized for caliber will not take a patch punched in the center. It wads up too much, and will not go through. You have to poke it towards the corner, and let the patch wrap around the jag.

Cut the patches to the correct size and the tendency to jam or bunch up drops a lot. Also, don't be so scared about muscling the cleaning rod through--the jag is brass and your barrel is steel. The barrel wins the 'im harder than you' contest every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as I said above....ditch the pointed jag and get a Parker Hale Jag. Your problems will be over.

</div></div>

Took your advise with the Parker Hale jag. Best jag I've ever used.

good advice from chad and lone wolf. Early on i had the same misfortune with a new 308 40x as described and resorted to tapping on the handle end of my Dewey rod. Knocked the handle off the bearings/race. Called J.Dewey and told them what i did and how ignorant i felt. They fixed the rod @ no cost. Hawkeye borescope showed no damage but felt jinxed and sold the rifle. If you don't have an approipriate sized wooden dowel rod and resort to using the same cleaning rod (after manually unthreading from the trapped jag/patch) please be sure to screw on to the threaded steel male end of the rod an appropiate female/female adapter. Hopefully, the open adapter hole will mate with the point of the trapped pointed jag.

I have had this happen to me and it sucks. Same thing I had to take a hammer to get it out. So now I start out with a Dewey brass loop with some hoppes #9 and let it soak. Then keep going through it with the brass loop until the patches are clean. Then I use some break free and repeat the process. After that I have two jags that I use, they are both .30 Dewey however one is a little bit larger, I use the smaller one until patches are clean and then the larger one. I go about 400 rounds in between good cleanings. Normally after the range I just use a bore snake.

Jamie

Re: Getting a cleaning rod stuck halfway down the

I use a one size smaller (ie 270 for 308) nylon brush then wrap a kroil soaked cotton patch around the brush. I do the same with Rembore or JB. Nylon brush recommended are Kleen Bore because bristles remain still and do not collapse after a few passes.