• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Getting boxes long enough to ship guns

BigBrother

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2007
New England
Kind of a stupid question, but a friend is transferring firearms to me and we need to pack them up. Two are shotguns that are over 48” long and getting boxes long enough- something I never dreamt would’ve been a stumbling point for us -has become one. Local UHaul stores only have up to 48”, and online he’s only found bulk options that cost $$$. I may have the FFL scrounge around for some manufacturer boxes but I hate to put him out. Any advice? I’m about to go looking online but wondered if maybe there’s a forehead-slapping option that hasn’t yet occurred to me :). Oh, also, friend’s not gun savvy and so I don’t want to have him go disassembling them. Plus next up for shipping is a Pelican 1750 and that’s 53” so we’d just have to solve it again anyway...

Last edited:
Kind of a stupid question, but a friend is transferring firearms to me and we need to pack them up. Two are shotguns that are over 48” long and getting boxes long enough- something I never dreamt would’ve been a stumbling point for us -has become one. Local UHaul stores only have up to 48”, and online he’s only found bulk options that cost $$$. I may have the FFL scrounge around for some manufacturer boxes but I hate to put him out. Any advice? I’m about to go looking online but wondered if maybe there’s a forehead-slapping option that hasn’t yet occurred to me :). Oh, also, friend’s not gun savvy and so I don’t want to have him go disassembling them. Plus next up for shipping is a Pelican 1750 and that’s 53” so we’d just have to solve it again anyway...
try a Fed-x store. They have boxes specifically for both shipping guitars and golf clubs. I think the guitar boxes were 8" x 20" x 50" long, and the golf boxes were a bit bigger. they also have a bike box that you could cut down.

Reactions: bassmaster07
I just build my own from old large boxes with a box cutter and lots of tape.

Doc

Reactions: 07SGT4623
As far as the pelican jus slap a shipping label on it.

Hi,

Absolutely NOT!!!

1. Only do that if you do NOT want the shipment to arrive where it is supposed to arrive.
2. Public carriers are "Supposed" to NOT even take such shipments. Freight forwarding companies can but "public carriers" are not supposed to.

Sincerely,
Theis

Break them down and ship them if possible.

Otherwise, hit up yoru local LGS and ask them for boxes or hit your local sporting good store and ask for golf club boxes.

I tend to make my own from other shipping boxes with a cutter and some tape

Hi,

Absolutely NOT!!!

1. Only do that if you do NOT want the shipment to arrive where it is supposed to arrive.
2. Public carriers are "Supposed" to NOT even take such shipments. Freight forwarding companies can but "public carriers" are not supposed to.

Sincerely,
Theis
I shipped a pelican case FedEx without a box. No issues.

Your local gun shop receives shipments of rifles every week. I'm sure they would let you have a box.

We work with high quality optical grade glass, and our customers ship in Pelican and similar containers all the time. Some use padlocks, to which we have the key, for security reasons.

Reactions: KML7201
We work with high quality optical grade glass, and our customers ship in Pelican and similar containers all the time. Some use padlocks, to which we have the key, for security reasons.
Exactly what I have done.

Reactions: johnnyvw
Done that myself, jsut make sure the locks keep the Pelican shut really tight. Some dick tried to pry mine open.

Dumpster dive outside your LGS. No charge! I've actually found spare mags and gunlocks in them.

Hi,

Optical grade glass is a big difference from firearms.

In regards to shipping a firearm that way and had no issues....A broken watch gives correct time 2x a day too.

It is not like I do not ship firearms and defense equipment all over the world for a living, lolol.....

Read the insurance exclusions specifically towards firearms next time and get back to me.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

In regards to shipping a firearm that way and had no issues....A broken watch gives correct time 2x a day too.

It is not like I do not ship firearms and defense equipment all over the world for a living, lolol.....

Read the insurance exclusions specifically towards firearms next time and get back to me.

Sincerely,
Theis
I believe the OP said his friend was shipping a Pelican case. No mention of a firearm in said Pelican.

Make your own box. Fasten the cardboard together with fiber reinforced packing tape. Make sure to press down over the tape with your hands a few times so it really sticks.

Hi,

Sincerely,
Theis
My mistake, I thought you were referring to shipping in a Pelican case. After rereading, I am guessing your point was about "just slapping a shipping label on it". I pretty much figure the OP would be following all applicable laws...maybe that's too big of an assumption...:rolleyes:

I cut up large moving boxes or liquor boxes (from the liquor store) and make my own. Wrap solidly with shipping tape.
covering an inexpensive gun case with cardboard and wrapping completely with box tape, sounds good, too.
I don't really trust any of the shippers so I really insure the products heavily.

I found when I need to ship a firearm and I don't have a box; I can purchase a cheap plano case online(amazon,etc) with free shipping for $20 or less. It'll come in a box and you get piece of mind shipping in a case. It may take a few extra days to get the case ordered and in though. My local ups store sells a gun sized box for $28......Id rather spend that money on the case and get a free box.

PVC pipe.......... Pack the weapon tight with bubble wrap and glue on the caps........... Slap a shipping label on it and call it a machine part, custom wood molding, medical supplies..... Let your imagination run wild. Tamper proof with out breaking out a saw.

The floor joists in my basement are stockpiled with every odd/long shaped box that comes my way

I horde them after several times where i needed one and coudnt find one to save my life :LOL:

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
I shipped a muzzleloader back to the factory in a box designed for a driver, got it and bubble wrap at the FedEx store while holding said rifle. Proceeded to wrap it up on the counter and have them ship it. Got some weird looks from a couple people in line, but this is Texas.

Another idea which I've done sometimes when selling a rifle that was expensive, was to simply buy a hard case to ship it in and Amazon ships the hard case to you in a shipping box and all done..

Also sometimes I do the same with my LGS, when shipping, I buy a case from them that they just got in & have the box in the back for & they ship it in that.