• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Getting legal on a free can? How to?

rkgsmith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2005
maryland
A buddy of mine went to an estate sale a little while back and bid on some gun parts in a box, assorted loading stuff, old tools, stocks, barrels and the like. When he got home he found two suppressors. One for a .22 and one for a 9mm pistol. While not the suppressor type of guy, mostly just a hunter, he's thinking of keeping them, but want's to do it legit. Is there a way to go about it? Or if possible can he somehow sell them. He said if it's to much hassle, he'll take the sledge hammer route and be done with it.

Re: Getting legal on a free can? How to?

? think i would have a dealer hold them and contact ATF about serial #'s to see if the owner is alive & let ATF figure out how much it will cost you to keep them (including hoop jumping)

just my 2¢

are they home made or an actual brand name? If they are just home made cans I think I'd scrap them. I don't trust other peoples construction though.

call the local ATF office... weather he wants to keep them or destroy them... they won't hassle him, they'll just tell him how to do it legally

What are the odds? I got to start looking at these sales.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the odds? I got to start looking at these sales.
wink.gif
</div></div>

no joke. everyone but me finds 1k worth of reloading stuff for $20 at yard sales

Right now they are contraband. If they came from an estate sale the buyer needs to contact the executor of the original owners estate. They can legally sign a transfer for the suppressors if they were originally registered. It will cost $200 for each transfer if they are registered in any case. If the paperwork cannot be found the executor can contact the NFA branch at ATF to check on whether they were registered. ATF gets these calls frequently and does all they can to help with the estates NFA firearms. If they are registered they can help with the paperwork to transfer them to the new owner. DO NOT hand them over to a dealer as he cannot legally take them.(he is supposed to know better) There is no one who can legally possess these items except the registered owner and getting a dealer to hold them might get him in trouble. As for your friends possession his intent of making things right will keep him out of trouble til things get straightened out. If they are not registered than he can abandon them to ATF. They are very unlikely to cause any grief to anyone as long as there is intent to correct the issue. If you need advice on how to contact ATF feel free to PM me. I'm a class 2 manufacturer and have dealt with estate issues before. Its possible to do legally and properly.

Hope that helps

Frank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biffj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now they are contraband. If they came from an estate sale the buyer needs to contact the executor of the original owners estate. They can legally sign a transfer for the suppressors if they were originally registered. It will cost $200 for each transfer if they are registered in any case. If the paperwork cannot be found the executor can contact the NFA branch at ATF to check on whether they were registered. ATF gets these calls frequently and does all they can to help with the estates NFA firearms. If they are registered they can help with the paperwork to transfer them to the new owner. DO NOT hand them over to a dealer as he cannot legally take them.(he is supposed to know better) There is no one who can legally possess these items except the registered owner and getting a dealer to hold them might get him in trouble. As for your friends possession his intent of making things right will keep him out of trouble til things get straightened out. If they are not registered than he can abandon them to ATF. They are very unlikely to cause any grief to anyone as long as there is intent to correct the issue. If you need advice on how to contact ATF feel free to PM me. I'm a class 2 manufacturer and have dealt with estate issues before. Its possible to do legally and properly.

Hope that helps

Frank </div></div>

Great advice.

Frank, thanks for the advice I will fill him in and have him get in contact with the local ATF office.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rkgsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank, thanks for the advice I will fill him in and have him get in contact with the local ATF office. </div></div>

Don't have him contact the local ATF office, they know nothing of the NFA stuff normally. He can call NFA branch at 304 616 4500. They can help where the locals will tell you to cut it up....When he calls NFA branch a customer service rep will answer. He can ask them who he should talk to about the situation and they should be able to help. Chances are that he will need to talk to Ted Clutter who is a Supervisor.

Hope that helps

Frank