Giraud Power Trimmer vs Henderson Precision Powered Trimmer

milanuk

F'ing nuke
Belligerents
Mar 23, 2002
Wenatchee WA
The Henderson will easily match that speed.
Not saying anything bad about the Giraud, I just wanted to demonstrate that the Henderson is also very fast.
Dang. That makes me kinda want a Henderson... and I've been using a Giraud for over a decade (and a Gracey before that). I've been putting off some brass prep lately because I need to take about 10-15 thou off some 5.56 brass, and that makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it with a Giraud.

I started down the road of a Honey Badger w/ Bosch router motor on a Dillon trim/size die, which works fairly effortlessly (grossly overpowered for simple trimming) but not enough space on a 550 tool head for hardly anything else, and no chamfer/deburr either.

Reactions: Sig Marine

Dthomas3523

Hall Monitor
Staff member
Hessian
Commercial Supporter
Online Training Access
Belligerents
Jan 31, 2018
South Texas
Does Forster make a “2 in 1”?

Basically just a chamfer/deburr head that doesn’t trim?

CarlM

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2018
I've been thinking about buying a Giraud trimmer for a while now and the biggest complaint seems to be the spring loaded shell holders. Just curious if anyone has tried using a Henderson Gen 1 shell holder instead. Eric Cortina makes his own using a chamber reamer, but I don't have the equipment to do so.
Just a thought, trying to decide which way to go, would prefer to buy once.

b2lee

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2018
N. KY
After watching some videos...I'm thinking of using the AMP Annealer - AMP Mate with a case feeder...to feed the Giraud Trimmer.

milanuk

F'ing nuke
Belligerents
Mar 23, 2002
Wenatchee WA
After watching some videos...I'm thinking of using the AMP Annealer - AMP Mate with a case feeder...to feed the Giraud Trimmer.
I don't know if you're watching the same videos I am, but there's a guy over on AS (F-class John, IIRC) who's got a beta version of that working.

There are a lot of things that are so cool from a process automation perspective... but as much as I dig 'em, at the end of the day I don't shoot nearly enough to really make it worthwhile. Not that that stops me half the time, but you get the idea.

For me the appeal of the Henderson is less the raw speed, and more the (apparent) comfort/ergonomics. The Giraud is pretty awesome in its own right, as was the Gracey before that... but my fingers ache just looking at a large Akro bin of cases to be processed, much less a bucket. Fortunately, I don't have to do that volume very often.

b2lee

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2018
N. KY
Yea..>I've seen F-Class John...and think it was a great idea. I will probably go that route after he, Giraud and AMP work together and make a few changes. I however, use my Little Crow Gun Works WTF trimmer chucked up in my drill press more than anything...I can fly through brass....most of the brass I put in...doesn't need trimming..and doesn't do anything...so it goes in one bin...if it does trim...it goes in another...because that trimmer doesn't chamfer and deburr all in one process. My chambers are pretty tight...except the 5.56 AR....that would be good for the Giraud and AMP Mate. Nothing worse than trimming a high volume of 5.56.

rydah

Moons out goons out.
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2019
The Henderson will easily match that speed.
Not saying anything bad about the Giraud, I just wanted to demonstrate that the Henderson is also very fast.
How come that one is enclosed but the one on the website is open?

CrabsandFootball

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Apr 28, 2020
Is there a way to rig up an electric motor to the henderson? Have a 1hp 1750rpm motor brand new sitting on shelf. Has a 5/8 arbor.

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jun 12, 2018
Beast Coast
Yea thats what im confused about. Their motor doesn't look like a conventional electric motor and i cant see how it attaches. Anyone who has one would they mind taking a few pictures?
I believe they use a belt and pulley to do the power transfer since it’s mounted above the shaft driving the cutter.

Milo 2.5

The Dalai Lama of the Reload
Belligerents
Aug 7, 2014
Gillette, WY
The Henderson has came a long way from the original version. Wasn't the gen 1 kind of a Giraud knockoff w/o a motor, used the same pilots?
I try to recycle my brass before it needs trimming, or I'd dump my Giraud and buy one of these, looks way easier on my decrepit old hands.
Where the heck was this unit 5 yrs ago when I needed a new trimmer?

Sportin Wood

Team Hardwood
Belligerents
Jul 17, 2010
The Woods, WA
Yea thats what im confused about. Their motor doesn't look like a conventional electric motor and i cant see how it attaches. Anyone who has one would they mind taking a few pictures?
I have one and use it on the regular for processing customer's brass. There are a few machines parts that Todd makes to attach to a motor that is spec'd out by him. I love the Henderson trimmer but I have a few issues that are overlooked due to consistency of the trim and cut. First, the drive system relies on a small sewing machine 10" belt. I have had multiple break but Todd has sent me a few and I've found a local supplier. It'd be nice to see a more aggressive belt that isn't so fragile. Second, the arms that hold the sliding bar can get marred up pretty quickly.

Overall I have both the Giraud and the Henderson. The Giraud does some 308 and 223 that dont get trimmed on the Dillon 1050 and the Henderson does all the custom brass sent in by customers.