• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraud Power Trimmer vs Henderson Precision Powered Trimmer

The Henderson will easily match that speed.
Not saying anything bad about the Giraud, I just wanted to demonstrate that the Henderson is also very fast.

Dang. That makes me kinda want a Henderson... and I've been using a Giraud for over a decade (and a Gracey before that). I've been putting off some brass prep lately because I need to take about 10-15 thou off some 5.56 brass, and that makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it with a Giraud.

I started down the road of a Honey Badger w/ Bosch router motor on a Dillon trim/size die, which works fairly effortlessly (grossly overpowered for simple trimming) but not enough space on a 550 tool head for hardly anything else, and no chamfer/deburr either.

Reactions: Sig Marine
Does Forster make a “2 in 1”?

Basically just a chamfer/deburr head that doesn’t trim?

I've been thinking about buying a Giraud trimmer for a while now and the biggest complaint seems to be the spring loaded shell holders. Just curious if anyone has tried using a Henderson Gen 1 shell holder instead. Eric Cortina makes his own using a chamber reamer, but I don't have the equipment to do so.
Just a thought, trying to decide which way to go, would prefer to buy once.

After watching some videos...I'm thinking of using the AMP Annealer - AMP Mate with a case feeder...to feed the Giraud Trimmer.

I don't know if you're watching the same videos I am, but there's a guy over on AS (F-class John, IIRC) who's got a beta version of that working.

There are a lot of things that are so cool from a process automation perspective... but as much as I dig 'em, at the end of the day I don't shoot nearly enough to really make it worthwhile. Not that that stops me half the time, but you get the idea.

For me the appeal of the Henderson is less the raw speed, and more the (apparent) comfort/ergonomics. The Giraud is pretty awesome in its own right, as was the Gracey before that... but my fingers ache just looking at a large Akro bin of cases to be processed, much less a bucket. Fortunately, I don't have to do that volume very often.

Yea..>I've seen F-Class John...and think it was a great idea. I will probably go that route after he, Giraud and AMP work together and make a few changes. I however, use my Little Crow Gun Works WTF trimmer chucked up in my drill press more than anything...I can fly through brass....most of the brass I put in...doesn't need trimming..and doesn't do anything...so it goes in one bin...if it does trim...it goes in another...because that trimmer doesn't chamfer and deburr all in one process. My chambers are pretty tight...except the 5.56 AR....that would be good for the Giraud and AMP Mate. Nothing worse than trimming a high volume of 5.56.

Is there a way to rig up an electric motor to the henderson? Have a 1hp 1750rpm motor brand new sitting on shelf. Has a 5/8 arbor.

Henderson offers a motorized version. So there’s definitely a way.
Yea thats what im confused about. Their motor doesn't look like a conventional electric motor and i cant see how it attaches. Anyone who has one would they mind taking a few pictures?

Yea thats what im confused about. Their motor doesn't look like a conventional electric motor and i cant see how it attaches. Anyone who has one would they mind taking a few pictures?
I believe they use a belt and pulley to do the power transfer since it’s mounted above the shaft driving the cutter.

The Henderson has came a long way from the original version. Wasn't the gen 1 kind of a Giraud knockoff w/o a motor, used the same pilots?
I try to recycle my brass before it needs trimming, or I'd dump my Giraud and buy one of these, looks way easier on my decrepit old hands.
Where the heck was this unit 5 yrs ago when I needed a new trimmer?

I have one and use it on the regular for processing customer's brass. There are a few machines parts that Todd makes to attach to a motor that is spec'd out by him. I love the Henderson trimmer but I have a few issues that are overlooked due to consistency of the trim and cut. First, the drive system relies on a small sewing machine 10" belt. I have had multiple break but Todd has sent me a few and I've found a local supplier. It'd be nice to see a more aggressive belt that isn't so fragile. Second, the arms that hold the sliding bar can get marred up pretty quickly.

Overall I have both the Giraud and the Henderson. The Giraud does some 308 and 223 that dont get trimmed on the Dillon 1050 and the Henderson does all the custom brass sent in by customers.

Attachments

• B5BA2612-FA4F-4BF5-B0A3-68B4C23C2622.jpeg
    B5BA2612-FA4F-4BF5-B0A3-68B4C23C2622.jpeg
    543.8 KB · Views: 375
i just checked this out, i dont get why youd want the henderson over the giraud given the price points. disclosure: have had a giraud for 5 years and love it.

i just checked this out, i dont get why youd want the henderson over the giraud given the price points. disclosure: have had a giraud for 5 years and love it.

Because the price is about the same if you run multiple cutter heads.

Owned both. Invested about the same in both. The Giraud is only cheaper if you only need one or two cartridges.

Tagging in, another Henderson owner here. Haven't used it a ton so far, but picked it over the Giraud because Giraud would have been more expensive for me once I got set up for multiple calibers.

I have mine mounted on an inline precision mount, but didn't buy a blank plate even. Two 1/4-20 x 1" bolts with T-Nut on the bottom (Thank you, McMaster Carr, again...), the henderson base plate has two of the 4 holes that match up exactly to those on the inline precision ultramount.

Tagging in, another Henderson owner here. Haven't used it a ton so far, but picked it over the Giraud because Giraud would have been more expensive for me once I got set up for multiple calibers.

I have mine mounted on an inline precision mount, but didn't buy a blank plate even. Two 1/4-20 x 1" bolts with T-Nut on the bottom (Thank you, McMaster Carr, again...), the henderson base plate has two of the 4 holes that match up exactly to those on the inline precision ultramount.

Picture? I have an old Dillon 1050 mount that I could use if it adapts...

Has anyone ordered a Henderson in the last few months? How long did you have to wait before shipping? I ordered one a little over a month ago and the site said approximately 4 weeks. Now it says out of stock, but filling backorders. All I got for confirmation was my receipt from PayPal, no follow up from Henderson directly. I emailed them on the 26th to check status, but no response. It was a hard sell to the boss to spend the money and it has me a little concerned that I have not heard anything.

Has anyone ordered a Henderson in the last few months? How long did you have to wait before shipping? I ordered one a little over a month ago and the site said approximately 4 weeks. Now it says out of stock, but filling backorders. All I got for confirmation was my receipt from PayPal, no follow up from Henderson directly. I emailed them on the 26th to check status, but no response. It was a hard sell to the boss to spend the money and it has me a little concerned that I have not heard anything.

Send Todd a message on FB. He usually gets back with you.

One of their motor distributors is in Cali and covid messes with the shipping.

Reactions: Sixwhiskey
They are not taking orders, they will be in a few weeks, once they get caught up, I was looking to get one as well.

I’d treat it like a suppressor and forget about it, it will get delivered when it’s done, the whole COVID shits got a lot of stuff messed up.

I’d treat it like a suppressor and forget about it, it will get delivered when it’s done, the whole COVID shits got a lot of stuff messed up.

That's all well and fine, but at least with a can when you pay up front you know you have a product in place. I am good with the wait, just want some confirmation from the company besides the PayPal email saying they transferred the funds. We are in tough times, especially for small business owners. I'm just looking for a warm fuzzy about the $900 expenditure.

Very useful thread, been considering the Giraud as one of my next major purchases. Decided during the shelter in place that starting to load 556 and 308 was a good idea, I used the WFT which works great but......... after prepping 4 home depot buckets of brass - never again, its either upgrade or do it more frequently in smaller batches.

I think I have the record for the most inline plates and accessories. Currently running 6 stations....but a ton of wall mounts, press mounts....plates for everything....his system makes my life sooooo much easier.

For those that use Inline plates, Dan has a template for the Henderson trimmer. I sent him an email on a Monday and had the completed custom plate on Friday. Plate #51 for $29.

Nice. I'll grab one of those if the Henderson trimmer is ever for sale again. :p

Nice. I'll grab one of those if the Henderson trimmer is ever for sale again. :p
I don't know how long that will be, I am going on two months waiting for mine. I am probably going to get my V3 auto trickler before my trimmer shows up. Stupid world shutdown.

They had one on display at the Hornady Prc match and you could trim some brass on it. I really like the finish on the trimmed brass. The girard leaves the neck a little too sharp I think and the Henderson left a real nice smooth neck. The operation is super smooth as well. Very good machining. I’ve been using a girard for 3 years and now I’m on the list for a Henderson.

They had one on display at the Hornady Prc match and you could trim some brass on it. I really like the finish on the trimmed brass. The girard leaves the neck a little too sharp I think and the Henderson left a real nice smooth neck. The operation is super smooth as well. Very good machining. I’ve been using a girard for 3 years and now I’m on the list for a Henderson.
I think you need to adjust the giraud or maybe you have a dodgy cutter. There's nothing sharp about the finish from my giraud. Smoother than anything I've ever seen and basicly round

I don't know how long that will be, I am going on two months waiting for mine. I am probably going to get my V3 auto trickler before my trimmer shows up. Stupid world shutdown.

Yeah, they were only in stock for a few days last time they came back in stock. Todd told me they'd be back in 2-3 weeks back on June 16th. 6 weeks later now...

The operation is super smooth as well.

That smooth action is why I chose the Henderson. In the two videos posted above from Sheldon and Poot watch the right hand. I have ligament damage in my pointer, middle and thumb fingers. In the Giraud video, the compression of the fingers, combined with that little twist at the end kills my hand. That is how I use my WFT and it gets painful fast. Based on the videos I have seen, I am hoping the Henderson will be easier on my hands.

Yeah, they were only in stock for a few days last time they came back in stock. Todd told me they'd be back in 2-3 weeks back on June 16th. 6 weeks later now...
I emailed with Todd about a week ago, and the hold up seems to be the motors. He said my actual trimmer was ready, just no motor.

I emailed with Todd about a week ago, and the hold up seems to be the motors. He said my actual trimmer was ready, just no motor.

He’s usually willing to ship it without motor if you want to use a drill and have the motor shipped separately.

He’s usually willing to ship it without motor if you want to use a drill and have the motor shipped separately.
I asked in the email about that and he said he thought the complete trimmer would ship this last Tuesday or Wednesday, but no luck. I will reach out next week if I don’t hear anything and ask again. I‘m sure he is trying to do his best and I am trying hard to be patient. Speaking of shipping , what service did he use to ship yours out?

Just got the email that unpowered Hendersons are back in stock. I decided to order since presumably the motor can be added later, and I can use a drill in the interim.

Man, I've been trying to give Henderson my money for months now, and they are just completely failing to produce stock. The website said they'd have trimmers back in stock on September 1st, and that came and went. They updated the site to remove that, but nothing ever went up for sale.

For those that use Inline plates, Dan has a template for the Henderson trimmer. I sent him an email on a Monday and had the completed custom plate on Friday. Plate #51 for $29.

Can you share a picture of how you've got that setup with the Inline plate/mount?