• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Giraud Power Trimmer vs Henderson Precision Powered Trimmer

have you guys noticed that the Forster cutter on the Henderson leaves a burr you can feel with your thumb on the outside. i trim my BRA to 1.552”. Even if i turn it down to 1.542” i can still feel the burr.

I believe you can adjust the cutter width to cut more of the inside or outside to get rid of that burr.

Was going to order a Giraud but after email Giraud, he is backordered until 1/22. Decided on the Henderson powered version since Todd is only a month out. Got it in less than 2 weeks. Did my first 200 cases last night. This thing is flipping fast as hell! Would be nice if they could figure out a way to put a neck turning head on the end of it. Would have liked to get a Giraud since he is local to me, but the Henderson is definitely a nice unit!

Reactions: Ruff 364
Pulled the trigger on a Henderson 8/29 they say 2 weeks ship time, let the waiting begin
debating on selling my year old Wilson Trimmer

I had both at one time sold my giraud the Gen 3 Henderson is 👌🏻Way better than the giraud.

I’ve had both. Henderson wins hand down. Your hand will feel like a monkey’s paw after a few hundred on the Giraud, whereas it’s nothing on the Henderson. Adjustment is easy and precise, micrometer not needed. Will never go back to a power trimmer where I have to hold the cases firm between my fingers.

I’ve had both. Henderson wins hand down. Your hand will feel like a monkey’s paw after a few hundred on the Giraud, whereas it’s nothing on the Henderson. Adjustment is easy and precise, micrometer not needed. Will never go back to a power trimmer where I have to hold the cases firm between my fingers.
But my fingers don't even touch my giraud. I just tip 200 cases in the case feed and I come back when they are all trimmed

Pulled the trigger on a Henderson 8/29 they say 2 weeks ship time, let the waiting begin
debating on selling my year old Wilson Trimmer
Only had mine for 3 days. Ran 2300 223 cases thru it. One piece of advice , get the shavings catcher deal !! I ordered one the day after I got mine. Cannot wait to get it. 308 and 6.5 cm are waiting as well . I had brass trimmings over half my bench. Doing what it was made to do. Awesome piece of equipment.

Reactions: ducman998
Only had mine for 3 days. Ran 2300 223 cases thru it. One piece of advice , get the shavings catcher deal !! I ordered one the day after I got mine. Cannot wait to get it. 308 and 6.5 cm are waiting as well . I had brass trimmings over half my bench. Doing what it was made to do. Awesome piece of equipment.
yeah i bought cutters for .264, .308 and the catcher all at once, like they say "buy once, cry once" i also ordered the quick change mounting plate from Inline Fabrication for quick swap on the bench

Reactions: parshal
I have a Giraud I used for my .260R brass but a shooting buddy has to take some time off so he gave me a great deal on a NIB G3 Henderson. I just received the brass shavings kit and two additional caliber cutters; I'll put it all together so I have dimensions, then cut a base for it to fit my Rockler tracks. The Giraud will probably get sold off locally as the action of the Henderson is more compatible for this old man.

IMG_3642-2506377.jpg

IMG_3732-2514420.jpg

Reactions: ducman998 and Fitz
But my fingers don't even touch my giraud. I just tip 200 cases in the case feed and I come back when they are all trimmed
I assume you have it hooked to an AMP Mate or an automated press? I mean that’s great for you but at that point it costs even more than the Henderson. Why not just recommend everyone buy a Mark 7 since it can also trim without touching?

I assume you have it hooked to an AMP Mate or an automated press? I mean that’s great for you but at that point it costs even more than the Henderson. Why not just recommend everyone buy a Mark 7 since it can also trim without touching?
No it just sits on top of the giraud. A mark 7 doesn't trim champher and debure. It only trims.

While I have never tried the Giraud trimmer, I think my purchase of a Henderson trimmer was the best reloading investment I have made. Saves a lot of time by trimming and chamfering in one step and the cases are equal length after trimming (at least within 0.0005). The chamfer is extremely smooth as well.

Have had a Giraud for over 10 yrs, best investment in reloading tools I have made. I don't watch tv or listen to music when trimming cases so the noise is not an issue and no issue with sore fingers either. Never tried the Henderson but those that have them are obviously satisfied so I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Reactions: tball
Personally I don’t care what anybody used to trim their cases. I’m not trying to win hearts and minds over to Giraud which is what I own.

But the the assertions that it will hurt your little fingers is a red herring, IMO, as there is at least one fairly inexpensive solution for those who find the vibration they the case to be annoying.

Follow this link. It provides function very like the Lee collet and handle that Henderson uses but as a free standing hand tool.

You need the Power Adapter, Handle, and Power Grip…three pieces that form the hand tool and come to right at $62, I believe.

Works great and K&M seem to make some very nice quality products.

This sorta seems to be the unofficial Henderson thread now.

Got mine a couple of weeks back, and have been loving it. Ive done a quick prototype of an organizer for anyone with a 3d printer. Ill finish tinkering with it and slap the STL up on thingiverse if anyone wants one.

I know one of the lads on here sells a similar thing - but mine is much more rudimentary in design… but also free 😁

221603CC-9307-4C6E-800C-2CDEC1F4334C.jpeg

When you change calibers, is there any re-adjustment needed to get back to the correct trim length?
I’m using the RCBS Trim pro currently, but it doesn’t align well; I have to hold the cases firm and guide them over the pilot (scratches the inside of the necks too btw) but what I dislike the most is re-adjusting for trim length - I reload small batches.
The set-screw setup on the Henderson seems the ticket to end that.
Reading through this topic I see set screws of different lengths but I don’t see that on the Henderson website. Do cutting heads come with a set screw?

Thanks!

You don't adjust the cutting head. It comes preset. The Henderson does come with like half a dozen bolts with locking nuts to setup for different cartridges.

I sold my Henderson and went back to the giraud. While the Henderson is a nice unit and relatively quiet. The pilot marring the necks and the uneven chamfers due to the collet system of the Henderson drove me nuts. I tried polishing the mandrel , running a brush in the mandrels place etc…,No luck. You just can’t beat the uniform cut and chamfer of the Giraud .

I sold my Henderson and went back to the giraud. While the Henderson is a nice unit and relatively quiet. The pilot marring the necks and the uneven chamfers due to the collet system of the Henderson drove me nuts. I tried polishing the mandrel , running a brush in the mandrels place etc…,No luck. You just can’t beat the uniform cut and chamfer of the Giraud .
Weird, I found quite the opposite. I used giraud quite a bit (mates) and yes it works, and eventually tried a Henderson once, and immediately baught one. I found it super consistent and reliable. I agree giraud is "quicker" to setup and adjust. Henderson is good, just a touch more fiddly.

Just ordered the whole nine Henderson yards for 223, 6.5, 308 and 338. I simply got tired of hanging on to my brass and guiding it over the pilot on my Trim-pro. And I like the ability to simply swap the cutter head and set screw and not have to fiddle and waste brass to get to the correct trim length for my small batches. Kind of like my AMP annealer - You waste 1 piece and then you have the correct Aztec number forever, whether your doing 1, 100 or 100 at a time.

Weird, I found quite the opposite. I used giraud quite a bit (mates) and yes it works, and eventually tried a Henderson once, and immediately baught one. I found it super consistent and reliable. I agree giraud is "quicker" to setup and adjust. Henderson is good, just a touch more fiddly.
Quicker is not what was most important to me. A uniform chamfer and a non marred neck is important. Fact is a collet often times will induce an uneven chamfer and jamming the neck over a pilot (even polished) will marr the inside of the neck. If that doesn’t matter to you, and you’re willing to pay more for uneven chamfers and marred necks . That’s entirely your decision.

Reactions: Baron23
I have never had the Henderson mar the inside of my necks. But have used a Giraud and I find the Henderson does a better chamfer. On the Giraud you would have to twist the case sometimes to not get a little bur on the end of the case.

Reactions: iceng
I've got better results from Henderson, this I got one. No inside neck issues either. I found the chamfer was more consistent and no burr.

Each to their own.

Reactions: Baron23
I finally bought a Giraud. I then removed the cutter and left the shaft in a no longer needed (since I bought a Giraud) WFT and stuffed it with bronze wool. I chucked the stuffed WFT in a Trim-it motor. After I trim a case i stick it in the spinning bronze wool for a second or so and get a perfectly smooth trim.

Last edited:
Reactions: iceng