• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 20 10mm......Woods and Carry Comapanion.

OneCleanShot

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2013
Alaska
Most of the time when I hike and fish here in Alaska, the Marlin 1895 SBL is out front to defend against large predators. It holds 6 rounds of .458 cal 45-70, is stainless and laminate making it nearly impervious to rain and temperature changes, has XS ghost ring sights, and a large lever for quick and accurate first and follow on shots. A rifle is always your best choice outdoors around here.

I also carry the Glock 20 in 10mm Auto as a woods backup and general carry companion. In fact, i own two of them. With a full magazine and 1 backup mag, I have 31 rounds of 10mm (.40 cal) producing around 900ft/lbs of energy each from my 6" barrel making it the most powerful Glock by a wide margin and arguably one of the most powerful handguns in the world by potential energy. It is accurate, very flat shooting, and utterly dependable in rain, dust , or mud and snow. With a barrel change, you can shoot 40 S&W and 357 SIG. I have found it to have little more recoil in the Glock package than some snappy 9mm's. It is certainly adequate for moose, wolf, and bear as long as you do your part with shot placement......which is true of both more powerful handguns and rifles too. It is also small enough and light enough to carry all day outdoors.

There are certainly more powerful handgun rounds out there but they require extremely large and heavy revolvers to deploy. Most people cannot shoot them well either. Their weight makes it about easy to sling a rifle all day. The full whack 10mm provides impressive penetration in hardened lead and produces quite a mess on softer targets using hollow points. Bullet weights range from 135gr to 230gr and are produced by a number of manufacturers. I have a nice Ruger 44mag but 9 out of 10 times, I am carrying the G20. It's lighter, I shoot it better, and its plenty powerful enough. Also, at least here in Alaska, anyone using a handgun as primary bear protection, is making a mistake. Anywhere else in the US, the G20 in 10mm is more than powerful enough for large cats, and black bear.

It is considered somewhat of an oddball round in the lower 48 which is surprising given the popularity of its short and weak offspring.....the 40 Smith and Wesson. Here in Alaska though, I see them all the time and for many good reasons. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
gaining a lot more popularity in the lower states as well.. I have 3 10mm's and they come up in topic here quite often

Love my 10mm glocks. Have a 29sf for daily carry and a 20C with a spare 6" barrel for for when I'm in the woods. Funny enough, I started carrying a G20 when I was stationed at fort wainwright and playing in the woods in my spare time.

Try the garrett cartridges (.com) in your 1895. My Marlin guide gun is set up with the ashley ghost ring sights & leupy quick attach 8x. Underwood is GTG for my Glock 20 & 29.

I really do want a Glock 20. I'm moving to a place with a good helping of black bear and coyotes, and since I'll be doing a lot of work on the mountain, wanted a little extra umph... or perhaps I'm just looking for excuses to get another pistol!

Don't hear much about 10mm. I remember when the caliber came out in the early 90s, and didn't really catch on. I think it is really cool that Glock makes one (or 2 for that matter). Maybe one day when I am settled down I will get one for myself. Has anyone had any experience with a .460 Rowland? Same concept as the 10mm auto.

The very first pistol I fired and trained with was the Glock 20.

I've been quite partial to Glocks and the 10mm round since :)

I picked up a G20sf a few months ago.

Haven't done much shooting with it but I do like it.

while we are on this topic may be I can save my self an all new post.... I have several 10mm's as stated earlier in this thread. I have 2 1911's and I just bought my son a glock 29 for xmas... I bought the g29 over the summer time and during that time. I put many different kinds of ammo through it and it is just flat out inaccurate. I have used Winchester, Remington, norma, and buffalo bore as well as some reloads and its just not accurate with any of them. I keep a 16" steel plate behind my shop and at 25 yards I'm lucky if I can get 8 of the 10 shots to land on that plate and the others are spread out all over the place. I wish I could say its just me but I have quite a few hand guns and this is the only one giving me results like this. At the same distance my 1911 commander off the shelf factory with no upgrades or mods shoot's -3" groups all day long. and my 1911 10mm's do way better but they both have work done... So what can I do to improve the accuracy on this???? my glock 19 at the same distance shoots 3" groups. There is no reason that a g29 should struggle to shoot a 16" group at 25 yards. any help would be appreciated

while we are on this topic may be I can save my self an all new post.... I have several 10mm's as stated earlier in this thread. I have 2 1911's and I just bought my son a glock 29 for xmas... I bought the g29 over the summer time and during that time. I put many different kinds of ammo through it and it is just flat out inaccurate. I have used Winchester, Remington, norma, and buffalo bore as well as some reloads and its just not accurate with any of them. I keep a 16" steel plate behind my shop and at 25 yards I'm lucky if I can get 8 of the 10 shots to land on that plate and the others are spread out all over the place. I wish I could say its just me but I have quite a few hand guns and this is the only one giving me results like this. At the same distance my 1911 commander off the shelf factory with no upgrades or mods shoot's -3" groups all day long. and my 1911 10mm's do way better but they both have work done... So what can I do to improve the accuracy on this???? my glock 19 at the same distance shoots 3" groups. There is no reason that a g29 should struggle to shoot a 16" group at 25 yards. any help would be appreciated

Have you shot it supported to eliminate less than ideal fundamentals (not that I'm saying your a bad shot)?

Have you cleaned it (ever)? Your not shooting any (or have shot) any lead by chance?

Have you considered a KKM barrel or the like (I love a factory glock barrel but a simple aftermarket barrel may fix the issue).

Try putting putting a blank paper at 10m and another at 20m (shooting thru each target).... see if the the round is tumbling.

-no lead bullets
- I have shot it from a bench
- I have not cleaned it yet there is only about 400 rounds through it

I think the 10mm took up where the 41 magnum left off. Both rounds have great potential, but got loaded down for law enforcement. The ability to use low, medium, or high powered ammo in both those cartridges makes them very versatile. Although I really like the military and police 41 magnum, it doesn't gain all that much over the full house 10mm cartridge. Plus, the glock can carry MANY more rounds than the revolver does.

A glock shooting lead bullets is a recipe for inaccuracy. Even in the lower velocity 45 acp, my glock pistols and the polygon barrel hated lead bullets. Jacketed bullets fixed the issue, so would an aftermarket barrel. If I were planning on shooting any lead bullets through any glock, I would invest in an aftermarket barrel with traditional rifling.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any experience with a .460 Rowland? Same concept as the 10mm auto.

I've played with 460 Rowland - but it's not really the same concept as 10mm.

460 Rowland is, in its essence, a super-duty 45acp case, loaded to "modern" pressure levels of ~40ksi, which is more than double the traditional 45acp pressure.

10mm is a 40S&W "long", or should I say... 40S&W is a 10mm "short".

The Rowland case is indeed a little longer than 45acp, 45+p and 45 Super simply to disallow a 460 cartridge from chambering in a non-Rowland gun. Unlike the 10mm, however, the Rowland case does not provide additional case capacity over its weaker little brother - because the COAL of Rowland is no longer than standard 45.

Anyway, my experience with 460 Rowland has been via my Glock 21C. I bought Starline 45 Super brass, which has been shown to be identical in case strength to Starline's "Rowland" headstamp. I fitted a 24lb recoil spring/guide rod in my Glock, and began to play. 10.5gr Longshot and a 230gr XTP goes ~1250fps, and 12.5gr Longshot and a 185XTP went 1550fps. Hits steel plates like a fucking sledgehammer at 55 feet. I might point out the unsupported chamber of the OEM Glock barrel made the 230gr loads unsafe, as I got *significant* glock smiles. The 185gr loads were fine.

My own 10mm musings:

I love the cartridge, and it rather saddens me it never truly caught on. I understand why, but still...

My primary complaint about 10mm is you never "find" brass like you do in 9/40/45. Plus, every 10mm I've shot (regardless of recoil spring) launches the brass into outer space, making it a lot more difficult to recover my brass than any other pistol chambering I've used (except for FN 5.7).

I've found the G29 gives up only ~50fps as compared to the fullsize G20. Considering how much more compact the '29 is, I think this is a worthwhile tradeoff in most circumstances.

IMR 800X is **the** badass powder for hotrod 10mm ammo.

If you are in the market for a Glock 20, I suggest you consider buying the G20C, and then buying a non-compensated barrel for it. The compensated Glocks are very effective and nice to shoot. You can swap in the other barrel for those instances you don't care to have the comp.

Underwood is currently the premier offering for factory hotrod 10mm ammo. They put Buffalo bore, Double Tap and CorBon to shame. Most Underwood ammo will outperform their own velocity rating, which is a NICE change of pace in comparison to the other "premium" manufacturers.

If you own a 10mm Glock, strongly consider buying a higher power recoil spring if you fire much hotrod ammo through it. The OEM spring is awfully weak. Works just fine for the typical 10mm ammo, but if you buy/load the good stuff, it's just too weak.
[MENTION=2925]300WSM[/MENTION] can probably come in here and talk circles around most of us when it comes to hotrodding 10mm Glocks.

I have noticed the 10mm MAGNUM! In my quest for 10mm brass I found starling 10mm magnum brass and found that ppl are re chambering there revolvers to fit the Magnum. The idea has grabbed my attention. I would just like more info

I've played with 460 Rowland - but it's not really the same concept as 10mm.

460 Rowland is, in its essence, a super-duty 45acp case, loaded to "modern" pressure levels of ~40ksi, which is more than double the traditional 45acp pressure.

What I meant by same concept, is that although the case capacity of a 460 Rowland is the same as 45 ACP, the gun allows a heavy bullet to be launched at high velocity out of a non magnum automatic. How much powder does the round take? For me, loading 45 ACP with 200 gr flat points, I was using around 6 gr of Unique, and the case is not even half full. So case capacity is not a big factor here, because the limitation of the 45 is pressure, which peaks out for that gun with a very small amount of powder relative to the case capacity.

Last edited:
Never mind, I found some data. Looks like around 12 gr of powder, Longshot in particular. Damn that must be a cannon.

I've found the G29 gives up only ~50fps as compared to the fullsize G20. Considering how much more compact the '29 is, I think this is a worthwhile tradeoff in most circumstances.

Very true, but at least for me, I cannot stand shooting guns with no pinky support. They feel like they are coming out of my hand. The pinky is the most important finger (well, paired with the ring finger) for a strong grip in any application, like climbing.

For a few dollars, the Pearce magazine base plate will give your pinky a place to sit without affecting concealability much.

Pearce Grips

I had those extensions on my G29 & had to file the leading edge down because it would pinch my pinky between the frame & the extension. Gave me a good blood blister after 4-5 rounds :-/ lots of punch in a small package, but not very fun to shoot all of the time. Sold it & have a G20 now. I wouldn't own a 10mm if I wasn't a handloader.

Any opinions on whose after-market Glock barrels are best? Or is there any significant difference among them?

I had the best results with KKM and Bar-sto.... lone wolf is decent. But to be honest, I've had no issues with any factory barrel.

I had those extensions on my G29 & had to file the leading edge down because it would pinch my pinky between the frame & the extension. Gave me a good blood blister after 4-5 rounds :-/ lots of punch in a small package, but not very fun to shoot all of the time. Sold it & have a G20 now. I wouldn't own a 10mm if I wasn't a handloader.

I've had good luck with mine, no issues at all. Every hand is different though.

Any opinions on whose after-market Glock barrels are best? Or is there any significant difference among them?

I've only used Lone Wolf, no complaints so far. The chamber is much better supported than the factory barrel. I did find that the Buffalo Bore 200gr FMJs that I had, not sure the bullet, wouldn't chamber but the 200gr hard cast lead rounds from Double Tap work fine.

Storm Lake is supposed to be a good barrel as well.

Underwood is currently the premier offering for factory hotrod 10mm ammo. They put Buffalo bore, Double Tap and CorBon to shame. Most Underwood ammo will outperform their own velocity rating, which is a NICE change of pace in comparison to the other "premium" manufacturers.

If you own a 10mm Glock, strongly consider buying a higher power recoil spring if you fire much hotrod ammo through it. The OEM spring is awfully weak. Works just fine for the typical 10mm ammo, but if you buy/load the good stuff, it's just too weak.
I grabbed a couple boxes of 180 and 200 from Underwood when I bought my G20. Like I said in my other post I have not shot it much but it certainly didn't seem like .40 like I've seen complained about with other manufactures of 10mm. Definitely packs a punch.

What spring would you recommend? I've read where people say buy a stronger spring and where people say just use the OEM....

The 10 mm is way more than a 357 and was adopted in the 1980s by the FBI. I think one of the most awesome firearms ever produced was the 10mm MP5.

I bought my G20 in 1994, have loved it since. My only complaint is that I have small hands and it is a big gun. One of these days, I will have the grip reduced, but until then, I will keep shooting and enjoying.

The 10 mm is way more than a 357 and was adopted in the 1980s by the FBI. I think one of the most awesome firearms ever produced was the 10mm MP5.

I bought my G20 in 1994, have loved it since. My only complaint is that I have small hands and it is a big gun. One of these days, I will have the grip reduced, but until then, I will keep shooting and enjoying.
Have you tried the SF versions? I wear a large glove size and the standard 20/29 were too much. The SF are just right for me.

I will politely disagree for outdoors in Alaska rifles are best and hand guns are a mistake. A guide gun with BB loads it is a thumper but a 12ga with slugs in my experience is much better. Bear guards that protect scientist in the bush, we all run 12ga with slugs. I know two who run Benellis semi M4s but the rest of us use pumps, mostly 870s, I ran a 500 due to the safety location.

Long guns, rifles or shot guns in the back country of Alaska are a hindrance due to their length and weight. Its hard to whip line with a long gun around your neck. Its hard to chop wood and brush with a long gun on your shoulder. Just a few tasks done that requires a long gun to be sat down or leaned on a tree to perform, when you see ole brownie slither out 15 yards away and your rifle is 20 yards away leaning on a tree or laying on the silt bank.

On a hunt long ago, my cousin and I were literately on hands and knees with rifles being pulled through alder thicket when he says bear, old booboo was nothing but brown as he jumped up and stared with those eyes of who are you and why are you here lets play the game, and my rifle and his were tangled up in the ticket and unless but the 44 and 357 mag revolvers in guide holsters on our chest got pulled and blasted away.

While hand guns are not as power as long guns, the difference is, they are carried on the chest in a guide holster so they are fairly much out of the way to fish, chop, dig, etc but the most important is, the weapon is always with you not leaning or laying when mr bear comes to say hi.

For bears, spray is the #1 deterrent plus its light and out of the way.

Moose are more dangerous than bears anyway. Moose are more dangerous than wolves too.

I know semi are the new rage in Alaska in 10 auto but please understand, if you have ole booboo on top of you, clawing you around while biting, that semi pressed into its neck or chest will come out of battery and be useless Vs a wheel gun pressed into the bear goes bang. Recoil and lots of rounds do nothing when its out of battery, it now becomes a club. Very hard to deploy a rifle or shot gun with ole booboo on top too.

Last edited:
Love the 10mm, have a G20, added a storm lake 5.3" 2 port barrel. Its my woods gun, also have a G29 that I carry IWB. Just bought my grail 10MM, S&W Model 610 no dash with a 5" barrel. Like said earlier look into the Garrett hammerhead ammo, I have some 540 gr hardcast, punches quite a hole.

U rang!!!!!!!!!!! I will carry this. Love it.

null_zps23b07e8f.jpg

I wish Springfield Armory made an XD Tactical in 10mm, its a rugged pistol and can definately handle the caliber.

My G20's are both very accurate.....but I do not like the stock Glock sights. I replaced the sights on both G20's with Warren Tactical sights. Never going back.

Try the garrett cartridges (.com) in your 1895. My Marlin guide gun is set up with the ashley ghost ring sights & leupy quick attach 8x. Underwood is GTG for my Glock 20 & 29.

I use Underwood for the G20 all the time. Great 10mm ammo. I carry Garrett's for the Marlin but the 525g really are not fun to shoot and they are expensive so I shoot a handful every few months to verify POA vs POI and put them back in the car for when I hike and fish.

I will politely disagree for outdoors in Alaska rifles are best and hand guns are a mistake. A guide gun with BB loads it is a thumper but a 12ga with slugs in my experience is much better. Bear guards that protect scientist in the bush, we all run 12ga with slugs. I know two who run Benellis semi M4s but the rest of us use pumps, mostly 870s, I ran a 500 due to the safety location.

Long guns, rifles or shot guns in the back country of Alaska are a hindrance due to their length and weight. Its hard to whip line with a long gun around your neck. Its hard to chop wood and brush with a long gun on your shoulder. Just a few tasks done that requires a long gun to be sat down or leaned on a tree to perform, when you see ole brownie slither out 15 yards away and your rifle is 20 yards away leaning on a tree or laying on the silt bank.

On a hunt long ago, my cousin and I were literately on hands and knees with rifles being pulled through alder thicket when he says bear, old booboo was nothing but brown as he jumped up and stared with those eyes of who are you and why are you here lets play the game, and my rifle and his were tangled up in the ticket and unless but the 44 and 357 mag revolvers in guide holsters on our chest got pulled and blasted away.

While hand guns are not as power as long guns, the difference is, they are carried on the chest in a guide holster so they are fairly much out of the way to fish, chop, dig, etc but the most important is, the weapon is always with you not leaning or laying when mr bear comes to say hi.

For bears, spray is the #1 deterrent plus its light and out of the way.

Moose are more dangerous than bears anyway. Moose are more dangerous than wolves too.

I know semi are the new rage in Alaska in 10 auto but please understand, if you have ole booboo on top of you, clawing you around while biting, that semi pressed into its neck or chest will come out of battery and be useless Vs a wheel gun pressed into the bear goes bang. Recoil and lots of rounds do nothing when its out of battery, it now becomes a club. Very hard to deploy a rifle or shot gun with ole booboo on top too.

I carry the 1895 as primary. The G20 is a back-up. Bear Spray is always on the belt as well.

The 12 gauge rifled slug loses over half its energy in 50 yds. It is also not nearly as accurate. For anything at short range, either weapon will do. I chose the 1895 because it is more versatile and I like lever guns....although I do own shotguns as well.

Also, I do not choose weapons for the ONE circumstance that may occur. I choose them for the most likely event. There are some scenarios that may be concocted that will favor one weapon or caliber over another but since the self defense situation cannot be predicted without a crystal ball......I play the odds.

The Marlin Guide gun in 45-70 is as short as any shotgun, is accurate and reliable, and will anchor anything on the planet inside 200 yds with brutal authority. There are more powerful handguns than the G20 in 10mm auto but considering their size and weight you may as well carry a rifle.....or shotgun. The 10mm is powerful enough, can be carried all day and the G20 allows me to carry 16 of them.

My choice only. I have seen plenty of other combos out there. Thus far though, I have viewed bear and moose and wolf through the scope but have never had to fire a self-defense round. Moose are indifferent, Bears just want the fish, and the wolf was alone and curious but never threatening.

Last edited:
I couldn't hit squat with my 20 beyond 30 yards before the new sights by dawson precision. ....now I love it. 3 10mm ' s in my stable now. All shoot the 38-40 180gr, hardcast 200gr DT hardcast and 200 gr xtp well.