• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going Away from 6 ARC Suppressed?

I am usually surprised by how loud other people's guns are now. It's uncultured, it's heathenry, it's like if the govemenrt told you cars would be safer with no mufflers would anyone buy it? I guess I still see people running around with masks on, so.....

Reactions: godofthunder
# Heathen Nation

Nextgen-Pic1.jpg

It's an aggressive brake, don't care who it bothers. If I go to a public range to shoot I pay same as everyone else no consideration of noise.

If I'm on private ground I enjoy running cans and subs without earpro.

But once anyone decides to break sonic, noise considerations become mute. (Mute, lol)

Last edited:
# Heathen Nation

View attachment 8349086
It's an aggressive brake, don't care who it bothers. If I go to a public range to shoot I pay same as everyone else no consideration of noise.

But once anyone decides to break sonic, noise considerations become mute. (Mute, lol

Think of it like this.

I go to a public range and bring my 300 blk bolt gun and subsonic ammo. And I'm the only one that has one that day.

So at that point I get to declare everyone else a heathen, complain about thier choice of weapon and lobby for them to be thrown off a public shooting range for being too loud.

Who the hell you think you are?

I remember being 12 years old shooting a wood stock, blued barrel 270 with a hard butt stock and a 3-9x40. It was a good fit for me according to my WWII vet dad cause, "it doesn't kick as much as a 30-06".

I like some of the benefits of a suppressor, but I also enjoy my rifles that kick and don't have any muzzle devices. I also shoot with a brake at the range sometimes.

I also have a featherweight Winchester 270 but I put a decelerator pad on that thing.

Dime size groups ---- if you can wait 10 minutes between shots. Lol

Reactions: General RE LEE
# Heathen Nation

View attachment 8349086

But once anyone decides to break sonic, noise considerations become mute. (Mute, lol)
The word you want here is “moot”.

• Haha
Reactions: Snuby642
I took a pistol with a threaded barrel and a pistol can out to the range today. The can doesn’t have a booster (yet) and I was curious to see if the pistol would function. Hung the target, arrayed my stuff on the table, popped in my ear plugs, and fired a round. Wow, that was quiet. But, the pistol didn’t cycle- the brass was still in the chamber. I took another shot to be sure. Yep, not cycling. I unloaded the pistol, removed the suppressor and took another shot. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. This is with earplugs. Unload the pistol. Walk over to vehicle and don ear muffs (over plugs). Load and fire the rest of the mag. The gun was louder over muffs and plugs than the suppressed shots were over plugs alone.

TBF, the bays are 15 yards with poured concrete walls. That said, I don’t shoot suppressed for others comfort. I shoot suppressed for my own.

I also have a featherweight Winchester 270 but I put a decelerator pad on that thing.

Dime size groups ---- if you can wait 10 minutes between shots. Lol

Here’s my dad’s Interarms Mark X 1:10 twist 30-06 with custom stock. He got it from a TX gun builder in late 70s.

Shoots sub MOA groups with 178 grain ELD-X Handloads but…when it starts to get hot it opens up. Action is bedded but it’s just this rifle’s personality.

IMG_9198.jpeg

That's a beautiful classic.

That looks like one of the butt pads from back in the 70's.

They were hard but better than those plastic plates. The newer pads are much better and look good.

Big Dave in Fort Worth Texas could fix you up and not mark up the stock.

The right choice in hearing protection is an advantage in many hunting situations and not just for the protection they give your hearing.

I dont get the logic of the guy you're responding to either.

Any half decent ear pro has sound amplification and has you hearing movement you'll never hear naturally.

Added to the fact that plenty of guys are shooting from some kind of box blind (or similar)... letting the sound bounce inside when you shoot too.

My buddy who's super billy badass tough guy, hunted for years..."cant hunt with ear pro" keeps talking about his ears ringing after this season, and how bad its been getting.

Paying the stupid tax must be fun in ways some of us just cant comprehend.

Reactions: 308pirate
I remember being 12 years old shooting a wood stock, blued barrel 270 with a hard butt stock and a 3-9x40. It was a good fit for me according to my WWII vet dad cause, "it doesn't kick as much as a 30-06".

I like some of the benefits of a suppressor, but I also enjoy my rifles that kick and don't have any muzzle devices. I also shoot with a brake at the range sometimes.
My youngest boy has been begging me to take him shooting since our last outing in July (yikes). I’ve been out doing courses since, but he’s been neglected, so I took him out yesterday for a full range day at North Springs. He has been pestering me about wanting to shoot the .270, so I grabbed a box of my hand loads and the old Model 70 Pre-’64 Featherweight, along with a bunch of other guns just for a day of fun.

The Dead Hold BDC in the little Vortex I put on it actually works great to 400yds, which is where I shot steel with it. 135gr SMK hand loads on H4831. That load punches the steel freaking hard. That rifle has always been accurate for me, consistently printing 3rd .75” groups with that load out of the gate each time. I haven’t shot it in at least 12 years. I used to vaporize water jugs with it as a kid with my dad. The trigger feels like it’s on safe, it’s so heavy, but the gun shoots. My dad bought it back in 1964 if I recall. It really deserves a Leupold or upper end Vortex and wider FOV I think.

I keep hearing they fail catastrophically. When I ask what that means I get crickets.
I had one fail catastrophically at the range. Seekins Precision. The adjustment screw blew out (less than 3/4 to full open) and went who knows where. If you're not in driving distance of a hardware store, that ends the range trip.

The handguard I use had a vent right by it, so the only "damage" was a minimal chip.

A different designed handguard would have likely turned that screw into a ricochet and who knows what the fuck it would have done bouncing around between it and the barrel.

I had one fail catastrophically at the range. Seekins Precision. The adjustment screw blew out (less than 3/4 to full open) and went who knows where. If you're not in driving distance of a hardware store, that ends the range trip.

The handguard I use had a vent right by it, so the only "damage" was a minimal chip.

A different designed handguard would have likely turned that screw into a ricochet and who knows what the fuck it would have done bouncing around between it and the barrel.

Was it the set screw style or throw lever? The set screw style will push out and jettison itself eventually if you don't tighten the set screw enough.

Was it the set screw style or throw lever? The set screw style will push out and jettison itself eventually if you don't tighten the set screw enough.
Set screw style, one of the original ones from way back. They sent out replacements at one point for them..but it’s a shitty design overall that allows the screw to blow out, with no way to capture it.

I’m all about getting the gas right the first time. But it seems the jury is undesided?

Seriously, why is this so hard?

Because you don’t understand how this shit works. You can’t bandaid an improperly spec’d barrel with way too much dwell time with an adjustable gas block. It doesn’t work that way.

My new Seekins factory rifle is over gassed with a rifle length gas system. I knew I was rolling the dice on not going +1 but it was a good deal. I can’t even imagine how bad midlength would be.

I shoot 6 arc suppressed with a 22” barrel and a rifle +2 gas system. It’s not over gassed. But I do have an AGB. (Maybe thats what the OP needs.) 🤣 I’ll pull the can and try a brake at some point. With your setup, I’d be inclined to shoot a brake and get some good active ear pro for hunting. You’ll hear animals you never would otherwise and you’ll also not go deaf as quickly.

My new Seekins factory rifle is over gassed with a rifle length gas system. I knew I was rolling the dice on not going +1 but it was a good deal. I can’t even imagine how bad midlength would be.

Is yours an 18 or 22? Are you running a can?

The round was developed by Hornady with an 18” rifle gas which is what my Seekins is and it’s perfect. The 22” should probably be +1 or +2 though.

Reactions: msgriff
Is yours an 18 or 22? Are you running a can?

The round was developed by Hornady with an 18” rifle gas which is what my Seekins is and it’s perfect. The 22” should probably be +1 or +2 though.
22”. I am going to play with the agb. Seem pretty accurate thus far as well. No can.

I got an H2 buffer, tuned the AGB, ditched the suppressor and just shoot it with a thread protector. 6 ARC is powder puff recoil so shoots fine with no muzzle attachment. Yeah the dwell time isn’t optimal but gun is accurate and if the bolt breaks I’ll buy another one. Amazing how much cleaner the chamber is without shooting suppressed. 50 rounds and chamber looks about like one of my bolt guns.

Reactions: OREGUN
I’m going out on a limb and ask. Who is reloading for 6 ARC. I am and was using LR powder. Man that powder is mixed with an AR platform will gas you out. I’m in the process of changing powders to something cleaner.

I’m going out on a limb and ask. Who is reloading for 6 ARC. I am and was using LR powder. Man that powder is mixed with an AR platform will gas you out. I’m in the process of changing powders to something cleaner.

Shooting suppressed? If so, your chamber will look like a coal mine but non suppressed it’s not bad.

Proper dwell time significantly reduces the amount of soot that makes it back to the chamber. If you want good results, use good stuff. Buy crap and you'll deal with the short comings.

Ever since I got a 6 ARC upper, I’ve shot it suppressed. Even with the AGB, I feel it’s a gassy SOB.

Primary use will be range toy/some hunting. I’m considering just shooting my bolt rifles with the suppressor and either braking my 6 ARC or having no muzzle device.

Anyone not running a can on their AR platform? Prefer a brake or no attachment?
Depends on suppressor. My 30 Cal YHM Phantom was a lot gassier on my ARC than my OCL Polonium. AGB helps but what I found to be the biggest help was running a heavier buffer. I don't notice the gas at all anymore.

I still haven’t taken my 18” Rifle +1 out for testing and initial sight-in but I have mild qualms seeing all of these issues. I hate adjustable gas blocks and I see their use as a massive crutch. If I can’t get mine to run reliably I’ll ditch it and go back to 223. That said, I have high hopes that it’ll run reliably and shoot 1/2 moa or maybe even better.

I think every barrel manufacturer just blows an oversize gas hole to ensure it cycles
and lets the buyer deal with it. All of them.

Then we can sell an agb, abcg, and abs if they are not smart enough to tune just one properly more is always better.

I think every barrel manufacturer just blows an oversize gas hole to ensure it cycles
and lets the buyer deal with it. All of them.

Then we can sell an agb, abcg, and abs if they are not smart enough to tune just one properly more is always better.
I would bet big money you're right. Oversized gas port ensures that the gun does cycle and does a LOT to support the aftermarket, some of which they barrel manufacturer is likely in.

I don't think I'm smart enough to get the perfect gas hole size in every caliber, barrel lenght, ammo combination, suppressed or not iether.

But at times it seems more economical to just buy one size tool for everything and on top of that have only one tool callout in our machine to save time on any decision making.

Bottom line decision makers at thier best. Lol

With a well setup rifle 6mm ARC has impressed me with how quiet it is suppressed. Maybe I'm just used to larger cartridges, but to me ARC is substantially quieter with a .30 cal can than most things I shoot, and my ARCs are the only rifles I've had folks come over at the range and ask what they were because they sounded so good.

Reactions: tex68w
With a well setup rifle 6mm ARC has impressed me with how quiet it is suppressed. Maybe I'm just used to larger cartridges, but to me ARC is substantially quieter with a .30 cal can than most things I shoot, and my ARCs are the only rifles I've had folks come over at the range and ask what they were because they sounded so good.

I have to agree, I was impressed with how quiet it was today, so much so that I didn't even realize that I didn’t have ear pro in when I was shooting today lol. The balance is good and it’s a pussy cat in the recoil department. Color me impressed so far.