• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going From Gas To Bolt?

sqidd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2011
Michigan
Well, I'm seriously considering selling my POF 308 and getting a 308 (or 338 if I could justify/afford it) bolt gun.

I'm relatively new to precision shooting and to be frank I pretty much suck at shooting a gas gun. Bolt guns on the other hand I'm pretty good at. Every time I get behind a bolt gun (friends guns) I shoot like a superhero compared to gas guns. I'm thinking it would be best for me to learn, really learn, how to precision shoot with a bolt gun and then later if I feel I have what it takes tackle getting good at a precision gas gun. Sound logical?

So here is the question, what to get? I'm not looking at spending a billion dollars (I wish I could), but I am not the kind of person to "cheap out" either. I figure either get something good or don't get anything at all (I'm like this with everything I buy). Consequently I don't have a ton of stuff, but what I have is nice.

I'm thinking about something in the $3000-5000 range (plus glass, etc). My right shoulder has been busted up multiple times racing motorcycles (well, technically crashing them) so I need something with a effective muzzle device so I can shoot it more than 5 times in a row without crying. Of course it needs to shoot straight. And I know this is a weenie and shouldn't matter but it has to look cool. I'm going to spend far more time looking at it than shooting it, it should look cool. For example the Accuracy International AX series rifles make my junk wiggle just a bit. Those are some pretty rifles!

I don't hang out in the "bolt gun world" and I have not shot very many, so basically I'm clueless. Can you guys help me out?

Thanks a lot!

If I were in your shoes I would be getting a TRG-22. My number one concern is reliability and I want something that I can trust my life with. The AIAW is King Dick right now, but it also weighs 14 lbs and cost twice as much. Throw a Bushnell ERS or Vortex Razor on top and I'd be set for life as far as bolt guns go.

Where accuracy is concerned, you could get a trued Remington 700 or custom action and be on par with anything on the market. But they will not have the same features that make the AIAW or TRG what they are.

Sako TRG. It was built to fight wars and will handle it if needed. Also, as it comes from the box it needs no modifications or reworking (action truing, trigger job etc), it is good to go with good glass on it. Put a brake or, better yet, a suppressor on it and you're set for life.

What ranges are you shooting?

If your shoulder is really a pain find a 223 with a 1/7 twist and shoot the 80gn bergers to 1,000 yards.

Or the cheaper 68/69 match bullets to 600 yards with ease.

You could get a factory sps tactical in 223 for 600$
Good stock for 750

Really good glass mounts etc for 1,000

And bunches of ammo with the left overs.

You should consider 223, 260 or 308 calibers. All solid calibers with many ammo sources. Depends on what you want to do with it. Even 22LR can be fun to practice with! Depends on what you're willing to spend on rifle, scope, bipod, magazines case and spotting scope. Weather meter, chrono, cleaning gear, case and loading gear not specifically necessary, but can add to accuracy. Many great scope choices.

Would recommend starting with relative inexpensive used gun and get out and shoot. You'll need at least a convenient 500-1000 yd range for practice. A few lessons for proper technique, when starting out will avoid learning bad habits. Bolt actions are completely different breasts and can be frustrating as well as extremely satisfying, compared to any gas gun. It can become a very expensive path very quickly, so BEWARE, but most fun I've ever had since starting shooting!

Good shooting and enjoy with whatever you choose. That's what it all about!!!

Last edited:
I would have one built that's what I do had a. 308 built and am about to finish up my 338lm.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Eurooptic has AI AE260's in stock.
Bullet proof rifle, easy on shoulder, and more importantly no wait!

I’m 100% sure I want a 308 (or bigger). I would like to be able to get out to 1000m.

My shoulder does bother me shooting a big bore bolt gun with no break, but I have no problem with my 308 POF. I can put 80-90rds down the tube and its no big deal. I think as long as I go with a good effective break my shoulder will be fine.

And why do I always want the expensive stuff!?!?! All the rifles I want are $6000+!

You don't have to shoot large magnum calibers in order to make it to 1K. In fact, the smaller 6mm and 6.5 mm calibers do it better than a 308 with less recoil. You won't really see the benefits of a 260 vs 308 unless you are shooting past 600 yards.

if your not use to bolt guns yet, then if you want a platform like the dta srs get use to it now. I knew someone who did this now hes proficient with it.

Like a couple of these other guys said, 260, 6.5 creedmore, 6.5x47 lapua, even 243 AI would be perfect for what u want to accomplish. I would suggest for the price range u are looking at:

Defiance rebel or similar action
Bartlein, broughton barrel
Manners minichassis of preference
Timney or jewel trigger
20 moa base
Either nightforce glass or vortex pst viper if u want to keep cost down. Nightforce much nicer though all around
There are good smiths that can put do all the finish work and coating for u at a reasonable rate. Give Doyle Englin a call at:
706-654-8400
He has built two rifles for me and a total of six more for friends and they are outstanding. Both of mine shoot as well as my APA 308. Cant go wrong with him. He doesnt nickle and dime u to death with disassembly reassembly fees and separate charges for threading and timing a brake. He is very good. Just my two cents. By the way, not affilliated with him in any way. He just builds a damn fine stick for way less money than most

Just to piggyback on previous above, apa little bastard brake is prob the most efficient ive ever seen concerning your shoulder, and both rifles of similar config that i listed cost me right at 2900 per ready to shoot. Add nightforce and was still around 4500 mark. And man do they shoot. I will post some pics when i get home

Pics i said i would post

null-14.jpg

The pic above is the 223 doyle built me. 28 inch heavy varmint krieger in an mcs-t5a. Blueprinted rem action, apa bolt knob, lra bipod and an 8-32 x56 nf
Shoots 1/3 moa solid to 700

if your not use to bolt guns yet, then if you want a platform like the dta srs get use to it now. I knew someone who did this now hes proficient with it.
I’ve looked at these guys in the past……and from what I see I like them…..a lot. I have this sickness where everything needs to be “trick”, and these guys fit the bill. What is the consensus on them though? A lot of times I find things that are “trick” are lambasted by the masses. Thoughts?

I could really get behind something like this (pun intended).

Like a couple of these other guys said, 260, 6.5 creedmore, 6.5x47 lapua, even 243 AI would be perfect for what u want to accomplish. I would suggest for the price range u are looking at:

Defiance rebel or similar action
Bartlein, broughton barrel
Manners minichassis of preference
Timney or jewel trigger
20 moa base
Either nightforce glass or vortex pst viper if u want to keep cost down. Nightforce much nicer though all around
There are good smiths that can put do all the finish work and coating for u at a reasonable rate. Give Doyle Englin a call at:
706-654-8400
He has built two rifles for me and a total of six more for friends and they are outstanding. Both of mine shoot as well as my APA 308. Cant go wrong with him. He doesnt nickle and dime u to death with disassembly reassembly fees and separate charges for threading and timing a brake. He is very good. Just my two cents. By the way, not affilliated with him in any way. He just builds a damn fine stick for way less money than most
I'll have to contact him and check out my options. Anyone have an email for him?

Don't mess about just buy an AX. You will end up there so just miss out the crap in between. Wish I had
What is an AX (I can't keep up with all of these).

agreed, if you can afford to do so its worth it. Only shot the ae mk3 but it was amazing for a factory 308
An AE is what I really want. Maybe I should just save my pennies/wait and get one....

Thanks for your help guys!

yeah I have never shot a dta, but the wait is long for them. I've heard they shoot really good, and they can change calibers but if you prefer more regular style bolt gun then get AI AE. If you don't need all the different calibers AI AE is better, it doesn't take long to get one (like a month or 2 if that) and they shoot and feel amazing. They come with a 2 stage trigger which is a plus, and get it folding now so you don't want it later. If you also have a suppressor and want to attach it don't buy one with a muzzle break, buy one without any threads on the end, get it threaded soon as you get it because their stuff is metric. Sorry if this is a little choppy just woke up

If you are looking to start out with bolt guns, try a factory Savage 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor, we got a few in last week and they are nice. Tikka makes a nice rifle also. I don't think any other brand offers what those 2 do for the money.

If you want to go all out, anything from GAP, APA or any of the other builders here will get you in a nice bolt rig for around $3500-4000 depending on your options. I just got a APA built 6.5CM through a trade and must say those guys build some nice stuff!

.308 is common but you will need a nice brake or can to tame the recoil for your shoulder. As mentioned, 6.5CM does everything the .308 can but better IMO and not near the recoil.

Check the classifieds out here, might find something you like...

Last edited: