• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going on a hog hunt in Texas after Christmas, need meat advice

It spread through cattle drives, it originated in San Antonio with the Spanish and canary islanders. Beans were a side dish.
I've lived in San Antonio and my g/f lives there so I still spend a lot of time there. I also like beans in chili when I make it with ground beef with HEB or McCormick's Chili mix. I also add a can of Rotel Diced tomatoes, onion and sometime a can of corn. If I'm really hungry and feeling poor I mix it with rice.

I haven't had chili with cubed sirloin w/out beans in a long time but it's damn good too.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
I've lived in San Antonio and my g/f lives there so I spend a lot of time there still. I also like beans in chili when I make it with ground beef with HEB or McCormick's Chili mix. I also add a can of Rotel Diced tomatoes, onion and sometime a can of corn. If I'm really hungry and feeling poor I mix it with rice.

I haven't had chili with cubed sirloin w/out beans in a long time but it's damn good too.
I’ve got family there, and 🤮lol

Edit: My fucking iPad is going crazy and changes correct words to incorrect words making my sentences gibberish. It’s older so it’s probably apply trying to annoy me into upgrading. Keep having to edit everything since I don’t proof read before hitting post.

Hey man, fuck you! Next thing you will think isn't important is whether the cornbread has sugar in it or not.

But we all seem to have forgotten about the pigs...
Shit, beans or no beans, .45 vs. 9mm will both bring out the purses on arfcom. Been that way forever.

Hey man, fuck you! Next thing you will think isn't important is whether the cornbread has sugar in it or not.

That depends on if it’s good corn bread or not. Some of the cheap package shit taste like sawdust without a pinch, the good mill doesn’t need it. 😄

If you're in the sugar camp, you're dead to me...

Reactions: lariat
If you're in the sugar camp, you're dead to me...
If I’m being honest “Mexican corn bread” is gay as fuck. I just want corn bread.

Though I will add jalapeño and onion to hush puppies sometimes

Cant believe we have a swinging purse fight on SH over bean vs no bean chili...
Well, it is the Bear Pit. Apparently I really stepped out of bounds with my Barbacoa comment...

Since the OP is asking about shooting hogs, he really needs to wander over to the NV section and start getting ridiculed for being a poor.

• Haha
Reactions: akmike47
Well, it is the Bear Pit. Apparently I really stepped out of bounds with my Barbacoa comment...

Since the OP is asking about shooting hogs, he really needs to wander over to the NV section and start getting ridiculed for being a poor.
I use a toilet paper tube with green plastic wrap. I think I dropped the tube on the floor because I get pinkeye whenever I use it.

Reactions: shields shtr

Duck tape a green flashlight to your hand guard. "Just as good..."

On that note, duck vs duct. GO!

I've lived in San Antonio and my g/f lives there so I still spend a lot of time there. I also like beans in chili when I make it with ground beef with HEB or McCormick's Chili mix. I also add a can of Rotel Diced tomatoes, onion and sometime a can of corn. If I'm really hungry and feeling poor I mix it with rice.

I cubed the heart and a lot of the “inedible” pieces of that pig from this weekend, some of it will go in the grinder and I’ll save some for stew meat. Either way it will make some pretty damn good chili (which is a stew). To the OP: you are hitting the hunting for pigs at the right time of the year. Other than that the trick is to keep the meat super clean. If you do that and trim the fat off you will have some meat worth eating. It doesn’t have to be gamey or stink you out of the house.

Butchering is like tracking: a lot of it is common sense but it is still almost a lost art. I’m amazed at what some of the butchers around here can produce with a knife. I have cut up a lot of BIG animals but these guys do it every day and are just in another league. It’s awesome to just watch and learn.

Reactions: KYAggie
You sons a bitches always go off the rails like this?
Yup. You joined a year ago, have 15 posts and yet here you are asking this question? What have you learned in a year?

Go look at the Rittenhouse thread. Coke and moonpies were discussed in detail. Somehow Spam wasn’t included and it’s a mystery as to why.

Where are you hunting at? I think West Texas pork is hands down one of the best meats around. We kill 50-75 pigs every year on our place. Boars go to the buzzards/coyotes, sows get eaten, no matter how big. We save as much fat as possible when processing, and grind everything together. Have yet to give someone a few pounds of ground pork that hasn’t commented it’s the best pork they’ve ever eaten.

Reactions: Snuby642
Shoot as many as you can and leave them for the vultures.

I have shoot a ton of pigs here in Texas and never even thought about processing them for dog food let alone eating them. They are nasty and dirty. But if I get a big one, I hack its head off for a euro mount. Make sure to wear gloves and use a chainsaw. Other that, fuck those destructive bastards.

Reactions: Charger442
I leave them lay for the other hogs to canibalize. Never really knew what gout was until a friend started trapping them, he gave me fresh meat for a month, my bigg green egg working overtime! Mixed in beans, peas, greens all more protein. When I was about crippled in pain and went to my podiatrist, he laughed his ass off. Different folks have different triggers, mine is wild pork, store bought don't bother me, nor anything else except too much peanut butter or peanuts.
Friends that do eat them gripe about the difficulty skinning them and most processors around here won't.

They are hard to skin that’s for sure; the dirt on them doesn’t help either, which is why I always wash them down before I start.

I have a machine shop, I could probably make something that is sturdy, portable non-gimmicky to help that skinning process. That’s the part I hate more than anything.

Texas hogs taste different depending upon what they forage and how well thier taken care of when down.

Skin immediately.

Some parts of Texas the hogs are as fat as domestic and taste great.

Texas hogs taste different depending upon what they forage and how well thier taken care of when down.

Skin immediately.

Some parts of Texas the hogs are as fat as domestic and taste great.
Here in the Hill Country they feed on acorns and what else they can grub up in the thin topsoil.

They're also omnivores and cannibalistic.

I don't know how they can keep up their body mass and energy because they act like they're on meth and in constant motion, always moving, rooting, fucking and fighting for whatever grub they find.

The best hog meat I ever had was from Vanderpool TX area.

Huge mixed mast crop, wild berries, corn and protine feeders and who knows what else .

Also probably a big help clear flowing cold limestone creeks.

That could be a huge contribution as apposed to some nasty water sources found elsewhere.

Water drawn from creek is camp cooking water / drinking and bath water.

Should be running a still.

I'd double check your local regs about bringing in the meat. Since it's "feral swine" you don't want to get hung up with the local Game Enforcement.

Once it's wrapped and frozen I would argue domesticated and rehabilitated.

Can't get loose to infect anything.

Only way I’d eat any of the feral pigs I‘ve shot around here is it was trapped and I controlled the food it was getting for at least a week. Only did that once…not worth the effort.

If one or two, we just leave ‘em on the ground, if more than a few we’ll usually scrape a shallow hole to dump ’em in and cover up. Come back more than a day later for the ones left laying around and there’s nothing left…nothing! Even the ants get involved with body disposal around here.

Only way I’d eat any of the feral pigs I‘ve shot around here is it was trapped and I controlled the food it was getting for at least a week. Only did that once…not worth the effort.

If one or two, we just leave ‘em on the ground, if more than a few we’ll usually scrape a shallow hole to dump ’em in and cover up. Come back more than a day later for the ones left laying around and there’s nothing left…nothing! Even the ants get involved with body disposal around here.
The big boars I've shot and left were left alone and nothing but buzzards would feed on them. We put a game cam on one just to see and at times it would be covered with buzzards, hawks, ravens and Caracaras but no other hogs or even coyotes fed on it.

Smaller hogs always disappear the first night with not a trace of them the next day.

In the last few years we have shot a bunch and eaten quite a few. I would not keep anything over 100 pounds now.
The real big hogs can have worms in the meat. Its pretty gross.
Cut them down the back and cut out the loins and hind quarters if you want them. Put them in a cooler with ice and water, change out the water a few times over a day or 2 and keep icing it down. Getting the blood out is important.
Bigger hogs make fairly good pulled pork. My buddy brined a ham and that came out good too.

Best pork I ever made was a really big piglet, maybe 40 pounds or so.
Cut out the loins and icewater for a day.
Clean and trim them up real good. Black pepper and Garlic Parm Webber grill seasoning. Mesquite smoke low for 20 minutes, flip and smoke another 20 minutes. Kick up the air and then finish off on an open flame....... Soooo good.
Guys at work who swore they did not like "game" meat thought it was great.

Shoot as many as possible. Get a nice head to mount. Eat the babies.