• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Good .308 loads for 600yd.'s and beyond?

Re: Good .308 loads for 600yd.'s and beyond?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to be contrary... you might consider running one of the newer 155gr bullets - Berger 155.5 BT 'Fullbore', Sierra 155 'Palma' (the new one), Lapua 154gr Scenars... stuff a Winchester case full of Varget (~47+gr) and enjoy the (much) higher velocity with nearly the same BC than a 175... you do the math. </div></div>

Are folks shooting these effectively out to 1000? I have been thinking about going this route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can get a screaming deal from a friend on 500 175gr. SMK's. However, should I stick to the 168's since I have a 1:12 twist barrel? </div></div>

HOG....the big green runs a 1:12 schneider on the forty. m118lr is a 175.

shoot a 175smk or 178amax and dont look back. a very nice load that almost always produces awesome groups and performs out to 1k in a .308 is 175smk, 43gr varget, win brass, fed210m primer or whatever ya got. loaded to 2.800 or longer. it is an ocw load that simply works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkollman74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to be contrary... you might consider running one of the newer 155gr bullets - Berger 155.5 BT 'Fullbore', Sierra 155 'Palma' (the new one), Lapua 154gr Scenars... stuff a Winchester case full of Varget (~47+gr) and enjoy the (much) higher velocity with nearly the same BC than a 175... you do the math. </div></div>

Are folks shooting these effectively out to 1000? I have been thinking about going this route. </div></div>

If you define effectively as in 'good enough to win matches and/or set national records', then the answer is yes.

Most people who shoot Palma or Fullbore (iron sights and sling out to 1000yd) use 155gn bullets (International rules require them; USA rules do not).

I don't know the exact proportion of F/TR shooters who use 155s in their guns, but I'd say better than half, at the least. There is a move toward loading and shooting heavier bullets as the computer-predicted ballistics indicate that there *should* be a benefit in the wind @ distance... but finding an extremely accurate, non-fussy long range load with 155s is about as easy as falling off a stump. In my experience sheer accuracy will compensate for a small difference in wind drift to some degree.

I've shot in a number of international-level competitions side-by-side with people shooting the heavier bullets and have yet to walk away with my tail between my legs because of the bullet weight I was shooting.

That said... I'll probably start working on some heavier bullet loads myself. My personal opinion... the 'benefits' may not be as night-n-day as the ballistics charts make things seem until you are fighting for first or second in a major tournament, and even then which relay you get squadded on is going to matter more at the end of the day...

YMMV,

Monte

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've shot in a number of international-level competitions side-by-side with people shooting the heavier bullets and have yet to walk away with my tail between my legs because of the bullet weight I was shooting.

That said... I'll probably start working on some heavier bullet loads myself. My personal opinion... the 'benefits' may not be as night-n-day as the ballistics charts make things seem until you are fighting for first or second in a major tournament, and even then which relay you get squadded on is going to matter more at the end of the day...

YMMV,

Monte </div></div>

Well said Monte.. The relay designation seems to have a serious impact on scores, and it usually is the number one reason (excuse) heard for not performing well.
As to the light vs. heavy bullet, I to am dabbling in heavies not because I lose using the 155’s (I shoot the Scenars) it is more a personal performance goal. On any given day I will have my share of dropped points that fall just outside the line giving me a 4 (9) and IN THEROY had I used a more ballistically efficient bullet I may not have dropped those points. 2-3 points can be the difference between champion and participant.

I will further say point management also place a big part in placing near the top

I took my 175SMK load and substituted the 178AMAX, and I get one hole groups at 200 yards (Steyr SBS-tactical):

LC Match brass
178AMAX/175SMK
42.8gr Varget
COAL 2.805"
CCI 200

Similar to another popular load found here:

LC Match brass
175SMK
42.5gr Varget
COAL 2.785"
CCI 200

Nosler custom .308 brass
FGM 210 match primers
Berger 175gr BT LR
44gr Varget
COL 2.800-2.810

2618fps out of factory remington 24" bbl.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mkollman74</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: memilanuk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just to be contrary... you might consider running one of the newer 155gr bullets - Berger 155.5 BT 'Fullbore', Sierra 155 'Palma' (the new one), Lapua 154gr Scenars... stuff a Winchester case full of Varget (~47+gr) and enjoy the (much) higher velocity with nearly the same BC than a 175... you do the math. </div></div>

Are folks shooting these effectively out to 1000? I have been thinking about going this route. </div></div>

If you define effectively as in 'good enough to win matches and/or set national records', then the answer is yes.

Most people who shoot Palma or Fullbore (iron sights and sling out to 1000yd) use 155gn bullets (International rules require them; USA rules do not).

I don't know the exact proportion of F/TR shooters who use 155s in their guns, but I'd say better than half, at the least. There is a move toward loading and shooting heavier bullets as the computer-predicted ballistics indicate that there *should* be a benefit in the wind @ distance... but finding an extremely accurate, non-fussy long range load with 155s is about as easy as falling off a stump. In my experience sheer accuracy will compensate for a small difference in wind drift to some degree.

I've shot in a number of international-level competitions side-by-side with people shooting the heavier bullets and have yet to walk away with my tail between my legs because of the bullet weight I was shooting.

YMMV,

Monte </div></div>

Monte -

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I've been shooting 168 Bereger VLDs and they have worked well for me out to 1150. I've never gone lighter than 168, but I think I need to give it a try. Will you be shooting the upcoming tactical match at NCW?

Nope... the BCRA Int'l Rifle Championship (4+ days of F-Class @ 300,400,500,600 meters)in Chilliwack, BC is that weekend, followed by the PNW Int'l Rifle match (3 days of 800, 900, 1000 yds) in Portland, OR the next weekend. The two combine to form a super-aggregate.

The F-Class events tend to be more consistent with their scheduling, but unfortunately the different venues often end up conflicting on dates.

Had a 308 but sold it to get a 300 it like bergers 175s imr4064 42.4 grains loaded onto the lands. Shot 5in groups at 1150 all day

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swarrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What type of powder and what charge wieght do you use with the 178Amax. </div></div>

I am getting really good results with 46.5 gr. of PowerPro 2000 MR. Bullet is seated at depth of 2.276" (measured off the ogive). Muzzle Velocity is ~2650-2675 fps. Rifle is Savage 110FP (1:10) with 24" barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 87dixieboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a 308 but sold it to get a 300 it like bergers 175s imr4064 42.4 grains loaded onto the lands. Shot 5in groups at 1150 all day </div></div>

Dixie - You wouldn't be pulling our leg now, would you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do the 155 Lapua Scenars do out to 1k? </div></div>

They do fine all the way out to 1250! Then they go transonic from 1250-1300. You just have to push them out the muzzle at 2950 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Leaddog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 87dixieboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a 308 but sold it to get a 300 it like bergers 175s imr4064 42.4 grains loaded onto the lands. Shot 5in groups at 1150 all day </div></div>

Dixie - You wouldn't be pulling our leg now, would you? </div></div>

Nah actually no had a remington 5r milspec in 308. After I killed a deer this past deer season with my buddies 300 long range tactical at 1150 yards I had to upgrade and get a sendero

I mean dont get me wrong their were some bad days but most days were great. Where Im at the 308 was just running out of steam

Works like a champ for me 600-1,000 yards

LC Match brass
175SMK
43gr Varget
COAL 2.800
CCI BR2