• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Good 'budget' Scotch?

SpookyPistolero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
About a year ago I tried my first scotch, it was a scotch whiskey mix. I detested it and moved on. Later I tried a single malt, and really enjoyed it. Can't actually remember what it was now. I enjoy the Trader Joe's single malt (surprisingly good for the price). Dewars is so so, Lismore is somewhere below it. I have tried two McClelland bottles and they were absolutely horrible, very synthetic and overbearing. I believe I've discovered a preference for single malts. (I've never enjoyed whiskey or bourbon, the latter of which is a sin in Kentucky.)

So yesterday I picked up some Glenlivit 12yr. It's hardly an expensive scotch but it's the most I've spent on a bottle so far at around $35. Cracked it open last night and enjoyed it very much! Maybe a little mild, but also smooth and had good flavor. I'll probably try another bottle again.

Does anyone have any other favorites that are around that price range? I'd obviously love to try things higher up on the shelf, but too many outgoing checks at this time to justify the luxury.

Glenfiddich is comparable to Glenlivet, maybe a little better. I too ran the gamut of blended scotch until I was introduced to single malts.

Try laphroaig and lagavulin. I drink scotch regularly and love some and hate others.

+ 1 on the Laphroaig and Lagavulin. They are a bit more expensive, but worth it. The Laphroaig 1/4 Cask is inexpensive compared to the rest of the line, and far and away my favorite Scotch. Oban is good too. The Glenmorangie 10 yr Original is a great Scotch if you like the more floral notes. My best recommendation is to get 4 or 5 buddies together and have everyone chip a little to get a great bottle of Scotch. My friends and I just got to try a bottle of Mcallan 30 yr. by all chipping about $60.

At Christmas look for the samplers--great way to tray a variety without dropping $4-$600 on several bottle of Scotch. You will find folks have varied tastes too. I myself, don't like Oban at all--too smokey and reminds me too much of some bad smoked gouda cheese I once had. Others love it, and it is most certainly a top shelf, high quality Scotch.

My favorite hands down is McAllen. Their 12-year is more expensive, but can be found on sale for mid-$50's up here in Alaska. The 18-year is awesome but ridiculously expensive and not worth the difference in quality and smoothness.

If you don't fall in love with the goodness of McAllen, another more reasonable alternative that is a nice middle-ground between like of Glenlivet and Oban is Abalour.

+1 on Mountainman's notion of splitting a bottle. A buddy of mine an I split a bottle of 1967 Glenlivet when we finished law school--made for a very enjoyable (but rather vague) afternoon.

**Holy Malt Madness--the above got me reliving old days so I jumped on-line to see about ordering a bottle of the 1967 Glenlivet--and was shocked to see how much the prices have skyrocketed. That was in 2003, we got it on a buddy deal from a friend/bar owner who ordered for us and was like $290-ish. We did not split a $1500+ bottle of scotch, well at least not by present day prices.

Last edited:
Dalwinnie (sp?)15yr $62 (can be had on sale for $49) my favorite in this price range. In fact I no longer buy lesser brands (less than 15yr old), so I haven't bought any in 60 days. I guess my point is scotch is to be savored not guzzled. I am a snob, when I can control my intake I will move up to 18+ as the minimum. I haven't any friends good enough to share with. :)

Isle of Jura is a good is a good lower priced single malt scotch. Highland Park is another.

+1 on Laphroaig

Avoid Glen Garrioch like the plague.

Try Don Julio Blanco. Crisp, with a bite, like biting into a Blue Agave plant. Very consistent. Will cure you of Scotch aspirations. Less than $20 per bottle at Wal Mart (in Mexico).

On a related note, I bought a case of Scotch in 1972. I paid $1.50 per bottle for top shelf stuff. Two bottles of Chivas were $2.50 each. $20 for the case of 12 bottles and I had never even tasted Scotch. Seemed like a good deal at the time. Gave it all away at Christmas.

Glenmorangie, for a few dollars more Glenmorangie Quinta Rubin, Abelour 12 yr
Glenmorangie is very good but a few dollars more. For just a couple dollars more Maker's Mark anit bad. But if you really want to get intothe good shit drop $150 or so on a bottle of really good Cognac. It makes everything else taste second rate.

Pierre Ferrand..Seleccion de Anges is Excellent
Remy Martin..Napoleon or XO or better

are both good brands that will give you nothing but good surprises.

Recently got the suggestion from a reputable source to give the Kirkland single malt a try, supposed to be on par with the Glenlivit 12yr, though not quite as good as the Glenlivet 15yr French Oak Reserve which was pretty good.

i second the notion on Aberlour. Fantastic scotch for the 45 or so a bottle it goes. the 16year is a little stouter flavor and runs about 15 more a bottle. if you like single barrel scotch you may also get into the single barrel small batch bourbons like Willet, Blantons and Rock Creek.

For the love of GOD!!!! If someone says McAllen or similar again I'm going to loose complete faith in the scotch drinkers here. First of all, it is "Macallan". Secondly, it is "THE" Macallan.

If you are going to talk about such a fine piece of peated, malted art, get the name right.

There is damn near nothing better than The Macallan 30 year fine oak until you get into super limited releases and true distillers reserves. Pay it the respect it deserves.

Last edited:
Good 'budget' Scotch?

Lots of answers here that say 'try ____' and lots of advice saying '_____ is good'. But there are painfully few descriptions.... All of which is unhelpful.

OP, what kind of Scotch do you like or what taste(s) do you prefer? I can give you advice but I assume you want more than a name of a Scotch and a personal opinion regarding its quality.

Last edited:
Lagavulin is my favorite. Definitely worth the extra money.

Christ! I could start a glock vs 1911 thread with fewer replies, hahaha. Seriously though thanks for all the tips. I have a lot to try!

I'm still learning, but I like a slightly dry, smokey it seems. Just not too much of it. A mild sweetness or toffee flavor is nice too, however.

I would suggest a taster flight. Local bars put them on where you can taste different styles of scotch at once with pallette (sp?) cleansers between.

Personally I don't prefer Lagavullin and Caol Ila style scotches. The ones I tried are like drinking campfire smoke. While that's nice once in a while I prefer Balvenie. I've tried the 12, 15, 21, and 14 yr Caribbean Cask. Phenomenal. The 21yr was like drinking silk it was so smooth (it was a treat at a dinner- NOT a regular thing) and the Caribbean Cask is aged in rum barrels which throws it's own flavor into the mix. In fact I think I'll have a finger or two right now....

Lots of answers here that say 'try ____' and lots of advice saying '_____ is good'. But there are painfully few descriptions.... All of which is unhelpful"
I find Dalwinnie slightly smoother to the tongue a little more smoke than Glenlivet. It is a highland scotch (less peat/poop taste)

Good 'budget' Scotch?

OP, port brings out toffee notes in Scotch so look for a port wood finish Glenmorangie.

If you can't find it, the 18 year Glenmorangie has medium bodied sherry notes with a sappy, almost okay nose and sweet at first with a mild spicy finish.

The Cragganmore 12 year is a soft, fragrant Scotch with a very complex nose of cut grass and campfire. It's also light bodied, but firmer and smoother than the sweeter Glenmorangie and a long herbal and flowery finish.

Neither of the above have any of that oily, peaty taste known to the Islay malts so they are good (reasonably priced high quality offerings) for beginners.

Last edited:
Balvenie double wood is a good one IIRC. Better if you can find a good shop that has something aged in an sherry cask the entire time. Can be mighty fine. Tend to not overdone with peat or smoke. Glendronach 15 is my favorite of these.
I think for regular whiskey i like Glenmorangie or Macallan. About 15-18 yrs is where I start to not notice the improvement for the extra cost.
But I also love bourbon so I drink it a fair bit too, probably most of all any more.

There is a book out written by a guy named Michael Jackson (not the dead molester) who has most of the scotches from the different parts of the country cataloged, with good descriptions on them. Well worth the money to give you any idea of where each is from and what you will find in each for flavors. Gave it to my son last year along with an 18 year Laphroaig.

i second the notion on Aberlour. Fantastic scotch for the 45 or so a bottle it goes. the 16year is a little stouter flavor and runs about 15 more a bottle. if you like single barrel scotch you may also get into the single barrel small batch bourbons like Willet, Blantons and Rock Creek.
+1 on Aberlour....you should try the A'bunda by Aberlour. It is Cask strength and one of the best in MHO. Smooth as silk, and consumed neat. I have taken to trying American single malts, and Balcones in Waco, TX makes a good one!

OK, first its not scotch, but if you are an avid scotch enthusiast like myself I believe you would enjoy Defiant Whisky. Defiant is a small distiller located about 40 miles south of where I live in Rutherford NC. Very good product.

3 fingers of Macallan 12yr with 3 small ice cubes wait 5 minutes. The 15 and 18 yr for special occasions, especially the 18 yr...incredible. My palate can't appreciate anything over the 18yr anymore sad to say.

Go to London and beeline to one of their whisky tasting shops. You will leave drunk, but will have plowed through an excellent variety of single malts. When and if your palette burns out on smoked peat, try Cragganmore 12 year. Life's too short to drink cheap whisky.

Ok I'm no expert but..... I really like Laphroaig. I drink Crown and Pendleton and I'm not adverse to drinking Makers Mark. But when I really feeling like I deserve it I get into the Laphroaig stash. I also keep some Glennfiddich around too. As for the taste of Laphroaig, it is smokey and peaty. I mean it really tastes like smoke. The peat gives it very earthy tones. That's what it tastes like to me. Someone else with a developed pallet might disagree. I like the taste. Now my wife thinks I have completely lost my mind. She says it's awful, she likes Crown and Pendleton too but Laphroaig just isn't her thing. In fact she says you have to have a Laphroaig gene to appreciated the flavor. One other thing it's 90 proof and I suggest you don't just have a glass on the rocks. Buy some scotch stones keep them in the freezer and use them to chill the scotch. Have at least three drinks enjoy the buzz! Remember. You deserve it!

Taste vary and cost is a poor indicator of what might appeal to you. I would not rule out some of the lower cost options, even blends. If you find you like one, it is like finding your favorite rimfire shoots .5 MOA at 100 yards with Federal auto match. I do understand putting a cap on the top, but why the floor?

No ice in Scotch. Not if you want to taste it.

What about a splash of water? Used to think I was cool and go visit a fine "scotch bar" when I was in school. It was actually listed as one of the better scotch joints in the US in some magazine. They claimed a splash of water (fancy bottled stuff, not tap) would bring out a new taste in whiskey.
I go neat myself, but I am just a hillbilly.

Only . time I put a splash of filtered water, when it's, ' Cask Strength ' . it does help bring the flavor out .
-
My favorite goto is Balvenie double wood . If I am really splurging on myself, I go to the, Balvenie 21 PortWood .
---

(shooter65) .. Bowmore 'Cask Strength' .. is GOOD Flavor . I WILL put a splash in that . It has flavor of it's own, not to strong on the Peat and in the 1st few sips I swear you can taste the Sea .
.edit add:
& Going pour me a little Bowmore, right Now ... ; )

Last edited:
What about a splash of water? Used to think I was cool and go visit a fine "scotch bar" when I was in school. It was actually listed as one of the better scotch joints in the US in some magazine. They claimed a splash of water (fancy bottled stuff, not tap) would bring out a new taste in whiskey.
I go neat myself, but I am just a hillbilly.
Water is OK, but distilled water. Fluoride isn't ideal. The idea is to use a few drops to open up the nose of the Scotch. Ice cubes are usually skunky and watering it down with tap water kills it.

Water is OK, but distilled water. Fluoride isn't ideal. The idea is to use a few drops to open up the nose of the Scotch. Ice cubes are usually skunky and watering it down with tap water kills it.

What Graham says here, is exactly correct. Simple rules:

Do NOT use tap water,
Do NOT use much,

and as was previously mentioned by another,,, don't use ice, but use something frozen. If you want it cold. The temperature discussion is for a whole 'nuther thread. There's already enough fisticuffs going on in here.

It starts with JW black and goes up from there. (JW is blended but that's ok)
Glenmorangie quinta ruban 12yr is a good one
If you want a good Irish whiskey check out Bushmills Black.
Fuck Jameson

Love the idea of the scotch stones. Will have to look for them. Our well water is great and doesn't hurt the taste. Our ice cubes are also made with filtered well water. I will try distilled water and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the heads-up.

Been asking the same question, think i've settled on Macallan 12 year seems to be a good first timer Scotch and from what i hear if your a bourbon fan like myself it's somewhat relatable. I've also heard good things about
Glendronach 12 year which is also around the same price as Macallan.

I really wanted to try Lagavulin just because it looks so damn good, that said i was told it's not something to start out on.

Last edited:
I like Glenfiddich, it has a flavor akin to the moonshine my daddy used to make, and it's distilled by my distant cousins and carries my family crest.

This and that...

THIS...
P1010004_03_zps896cb865.jpg

...and THAT when you're not on a budget.
P1010001_01_zps26f97d2b.jpg

and DO drink it from a PROPER glass.
Glencairn whisky glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CHEERS!:D

Very oak taste!

(shooter65) .. Bowmore 'Cask Strength' .. is GOOD Flavor . I WILL put a splash in that . It has flavor of it's own, not to strong on the Peat and in the 1st few sips I swear you can taste the Sea .

Only . time I put a splash of filtered water, when it's, ' Cask Strength ' . it does help bring the flavor out .
-
My favorite goto is Balvenie double wood . If I am really splurging on myself, I go to the, Balvenie 21 PortWood .
---

.edit add:
& Going pour me a little Bowmore, right Now ... ; )

no water, no ice. EVER