• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Good news for Indiana

Dantrom

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2009
northwest ohio
Got an email today!

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2012/02/indiana-house-takes-up-nra-backed-pro-hunting-legislation!.aspx

Re: Good news for Indiana

Question: wouldn't this be mainly for coyote hunting? Does Indiana allow centerfire hunting rifles now for deer season?

When I was growing up in Indiana, we could only use shotguns with slugs on deer down in the Ohio River Valley area. Has that law changed? That's one of the big reasons I haven't gone back to Indiana to hunt whitetails: I prefer using a rifle.

Still, this is good news.

I know there are many more pistol rounds allowed in a rifle than the SOCOM 458, but this is the caliber I have been considering using on deer in Indiana. I don't know how true this information might be but a class three dealer I have dealt with here in Indiana told me this was coming a year ago, and at the same time told me there is a huge push to allow the 300 black out for deer in Indiana....

I will use my 223 and 308 for coyote, fox, and groundhog and hopefully soon with a can as well!

This is good common sense on the part of Hoosiers. Now that common sense should be applied to opening up rifle calibers to deer hunting.

The topography of Indiana south of Seymour is pretty much identical to central KY where I'm from and still hunt. Absolutely no reason one couldn't safely use "normal" centerfire rifles down there...actually, there's no reason why they couldn't be safely used for the entire state, but that's another argument to be made.

For 2012 the DNR changed the max cartridge length for rifles from 1.625" to 1.8"; this makes the 450 Bushmaster legal. Even if they don't fully allow traditional centerfires, I'd be REALLY nice if they'd drop the min bullet size from .357 to .264, which even with a 1.8" case would open up the 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39 and 300 BLK among others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The topography of Indiana south of Seymour is pretty much identical to central KY where I'm from and still hunt. Absolutely no reason one couldn't safely use "normal" centerfire rifles down there...actually, there's no reason why they couldn't be safely used for the entire state, but that's another argument to be made.

For 2012 the DNR changed the max cartridge length for rifles from 1.625" to 1.8"; this makes the 450 Bushmaster legal. Even if they don't fully allow traditional centerfires, I'd be REALLY nice if they'd drop the min bullet size from .357 to .264, which even with a 1.8" case would open up the 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39 and 300 BLK among others. </div></div>
Agreed. I live in Spencer County down on the Ohio River and it as hilly as it can be....but you know, if they open a rifle season, on opening day thousands of people will die.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The topography of Indiana south of Seymour is pretty much identical to central KY where I'm from and still hunt. Absolutely no reason one couldn't safely use "normal" centerfire rifles down there...actually, there's no reason why they couldn't be safely used for the entire state, but that's another argument to be made.

For 2012 the DNR changed the max cartridge length for rifles from 1.625" to 1.8"; this makes the 450 Bushmaster legal. Even if they don't fully allow traditional centerfires, I'd be REALLY nice if they'd drop the min bullet size from .357 to .264, which even with a 1.8" case would open up the 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 7.62x39 and 300 BLK among others. </div></div>

I couldn't agree more with this statement. It's just damn silly you can't use the vast majority of centerfire rifles. I grew up in Ripley County and had all kinds of rifles at my house. I just couldn't shoot them at deer. A damn shame.

If I understand correctly, the 458 SOCOM is legal right now to hunt with, right? I haven't been hunting in Indiana for years, but if it were, I'd probably take my AR back and see if I can't find Bambi somewhere in southern Indiana.

Can you hunt deer in Indiana with a AR style rifle chambered in a 458 SOCOM?

Can you hunt with a AR style rifle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: whit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you hunt with a AR style rifle? </div></div>

Yes, we have no design or magazine restrictions.

Here is a short write up I did for another site:

On Wednesday Feb 8th, 2012, SSNFA in conjunction with Huntertown Arms were able to host a group of Indiana House of Representative and Indiana State Senators at Eagle Creek Shooting Range for a "Hunting With Suppressors" educational experience!!! The legislators were offered the chance to shoot suppressed and unsuppressed .22LR pistols and rifles, .223 rifles, .308 rifles and .357 magnum rifles. I was very very happy with the results and I felt that every legislator there was 100% on our side when they got in there car and drove away. Even the main sponsor of SB243 had a new found passion and education for suppressors. Keepin mind that this was not a mandatory attendance event. These elected officials were here because they WANTED TO LEARN, they WANTED TO VOTE WITH A EDUCATED BACKGROUND of the topic. I commend all of them for that. They were Republican and Democrat alike.

To update everyone on where we are as of today, SB243 has successfully passed the Indiana Senate and is currently had its first reading in the House. It has been assigned to the public policy committee with some talk of reassignment to the Natural Resources Committee. Regardless of the Committee it has a VERYgood chance of passing committee with a "DO PASS" recommendation.

Committee hearings are expected next week and hopefully second reading, any amendment votes and final roll call vote.

If it passes the House then it will go to conference committee which is a joint committee that makes sure that both House and Senate versions are the same.

If both House and Senate versions are the same it will go to Governor Daniels for ratification. If ratified it will become law, most likley on July1, 2012.

We are not there yet, but we are close....keep up the fight and urge yourstate representative to vote yes on SB243!!!

This fight has been fought hard by all of us but some names deserve special attention. A continued public thank you to: Ashley Varner of the NRA-ILA, Steve of Huntertown Arms, David of 21st Century Firearms,J ahred of AGS, Harley of Down by the Tracks, Matt at Front Towards Enemy and thanks to Mr. Jason Lee who has been at a every committee meeting and event to date with a show of support.

As for this shoot, thanks for the time and donations of Steve at Huntertown Arms for time, ammo and guns, Jason Lee for time, ammo and guns, Sgt. Tim Williams of Beech Grove Police Department for guns, The Eagle Creek Range & Beech Grove Firearms for hearing protection.

It is because of you the voter voicing your opinion and the guys above that you will be hunting with suppressors next year!!!

Now, since that last update. The SB 243 bill was assigned to the public policy committee in the House. The chairman is now refusing to hold a meeting which means the bill would have died.

However, since it past the Senate it was eligible to be engrossed into another bill as an amendment. That was done and now it is part of HB 1279, a bill regarding DNR changes.

This bill appears that it will pass and that hunting with suppressors will be legal in Indiana as of July 1, 2012.

However, it is not a done deal yet!!

We should consider writing to the governor regarding the SBS ban as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemarshall27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now of only Ohio would follow suit!! </div></div>

I was contemplating writing a letter about rifle and suppressor usage to ODNR, Governor, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: firemarshall27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now of only Ohio would follow suit!! </div></div>

I was contemplating writing a letter about rifle and suppressor usage to ODNR, Governor, etc. </div></div>

Gemtech has lots of stats and is very willing to help people in this fight. Give them a call and talk to Kel.

+1 for Ohio. We have a deer population that is out of control and takes a hefty toll on the motorist. In addition to this the gun season is incredibly short. Kentucky allows for rifle but I am not willing to pay for the out of state tag, which is 5X more than a in state. Unless ur on a shoe string set up it makes hunting a rich man's game.

My 2 cents.

Bout time! Ive read on some bow hunters site about it well they are all pretty much pist and bitchin bout it. Go figure. Sayin they dont want it and the herd population will be down. Also. Want the gun season moved back a week or 2