• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good powder thrower/scale combo

ahhshoot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2013
So after a few years playing with the Gempro 250, I am getting tired of hand weighing each charge and think I'm ready to take the plunge into an automatic powder dispenser/scale combo. Please forgive my ignorance on the topic-I haven't studied or googled much. This is because I know the Hide will allow me to circumvent all that research and point me in the right direction. Once I have some suggestions, I will do some research based on those.

I was once weary of automatic throwers/scales because I felt they could not be as accurate as doing it by hand. Now that I'm shooting a 338 Lapua and 7mm mag I don't think the non-exact charge would mean much to these big boomers, and if someone could convince me that the perception that hand weighing is more exact is only in my head that would be super.

So, what do you use, and why?

My budget: Meh, depends on the value I'm getting. I will spend a few hundred bucks to get something that will be accurate and durable and user friendly, but it always seems like you can get to a point of diminishing returns and the next best product may only be marginally superior but cost twice as much...that's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks to any and all for input.

RCBS Chargemaster. Why? Because it is the standard that all combos are measured against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhb

I second the RCBS chargemaster. I use the brass thingy that I got from a guy here on the Hide in the discharge tube to greatly reduce over throws. I sucked it up and bought two to really speed up my match ammo reloading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's the one that keeps popping up but I wanted verification from Hide members that it was really the bread and butter I'm looking for. Been disappointed too many times based on other reviews. To be honest the only RCBS product I have is the TrimPro and I wasn't impressed with that so I was a bit reluctant to move on the chargemaster.

Any other suggestions? Is the Hide all Chargemaster?

Chargemaster all the way! Reprogrammed with the mcdonalds straw mod can't be beat for the price. Unless you have deeps pockets then go Prometheus. Unfortunately my pockets arent that deep.

I would like to add if you reload any pistol loads keep a powder thrower handy. I was reloading some .38 special last weekend for my wifes pistol. I could hand throw and weigh 3.5 grains of Bullseye faster then the chargemaster would drop it. Maybe it's faster with ball powders, but 3.5 grains of flake powder took every bit of 30 seconds.

Last edited:
The chargemaster is the best automatic dispenser /weight combo available.
And is the standard witch the others are measured by, with the reprogramming and straw mod or similar, it will give you good results.
If it beats hand weighing for accuracy no it does not if you have a scale that is accurate enough, but if 0.1-0.3 grains of charge weight variation is acceptable you will be satisfied with the product.

If you are looking for single kernel accuracy, the only way to do it is by hand weighing every single charge on a highly accurate scale, or buying a Prometheus.
So it depends what you are looking for exactly, but for most uses the Chargemaster will keep you satisfied and more so then the competitiors.

If you still want to hand weigh every charge and speed it up, a Chargemaster or two is still the way to go.
I use two Chargemasters to trickle low 0.3 grains, and then trickle the final weight with a Omega trickler onto my Sartorius Practum.
Meaning i keep my reloads to kernel accuracy while still keeping a decent pace, and i do not spend any time waiting for my Chargemaster to finish in the process either.

Chargemaster.
And plug it thru a quality surge protector/power conditioner, so the unit is seeing consistent, noise free voltage. Straight 'house' current and the Chargemaster sometimes don't get along...

I also am running the double Chargemaster set up and I am extremely happy. I was lucky enough to pick up a $120 Monster Cable surge/power conditioner for $15 from a local store that was no longer carrying electronics and it works like a charm.

The Capn'

It sounds like we have a winner... Is this thing that dominant? Are there no competitors? I will be looking for a Chargemaster now... thank you Hide

Chargemaster.
And plug it thru a quality surge protector/power conditioner, so the unit is seeing consistent, noise free voltage. Straight 'house' current and the Chargemaster sometimes don't get along...

Do you have any recommendations for a good quality surge protector/power conditioner? I want to rule out a few things on my chargemaster. Sorry to derail the thread.

It sounds like we have a winner... Is this thing that dominant? Are there no competitors? I will be looking for a Chargemaster now... thank you Hide

Assuming you don't live in Tn, Ga or Fl check out NatchezSS their pricing on chargemasters is unbeatable right now.
[MENTION=25765]blackjack[/MENTION]; Furman makes good power conditioners. Check your local guitar stores or online at Sweeteater, musicians friend or zzounds for good pricing.

Assuming you don't live in Tn, Ga or Fl check out NatchezSS their pricing on chargemasters is unbeatable right now.
[MENTION=25765]blackjack[/MENTION]; Furman makes good power conditioners. Check your local guitar stores or online at Sweeteater, musicians friend or zzounds for good pricing.

I do live in Florida, does that make a difference?

Your good I should have double checked. Natchez will ship to you. Just not residents of Tn, Al or Ga. Order away, add something else rcbs related to the order to get it up over $300 so you can get the bigger rebate.

When you get it. And feel like doing the reprogramming here's a vid with a step by step guide on what to do.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p-DRJCL0D3A

Last edited:
I agree on the RCBS Chargemaster. To improve it further, check on the threads on SH to see how to do minor mods to further improve the accuracy of the charge.

Had a Pact dispenser/scale, was never happy with its consistency (ie the scale). Last month it refused to calibrate, so I bought an RCBS Chargemaster.

At first I wasn't happy with the RCBS - the scale would often say that the charge thrown was right on target, but weighing it on another scale would show a full grain or two more powder than the target. Putting the pan back on the Chargemaster would get a new reading, confirming the high throw.

The problem disappeared when I let it warm up for an hour (30+ minutes probably would work too, which btw is the recommended warmup time.)

I find the Chargemaster far more accurate/consistent than the Pact was, and most of the time +/-0.1gr of the target. Since scales that can handle trickling well with better accuracy cost a minimum of $5XX, I don't really see how you can do better for the price of a Chargemaster (which obviously includes a dispenser).

ETA: I still check the weight thrown by my Chargemaster and adjust as necessary for many loads . . . used to use a GemPro 250, replaced it with an A&D FX-120i. So no, I can't convince you that the charge doesn't need to be "exact" :)

Last edited: