• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good quality brass and bullet decisions....

Twisted

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2009
NW Oregon
www.twistedfirearms.com
Shooting a Rem 700 SPS Tactical in .308 w/ 20" barrel.

I have been shooting the 168gr SMK's with good results but also haven't tried much else. They are a light load (42gr varget) so no matter what I need to work it up some. I want to eventually get out to 1000 and maybe a bit further with confidence. I started working up some 175smk's and only tested out to 300 with them but they seem to make my rifle just as happy with 44gr of varget. What I notice is that ever with both loads I am at roughly the same drop at 300 yards. Running ballistics charts it appears the are very similar out to just past 600 where the 175 obviously stays faster and doesn't drop off the chart. Is there any other advantage to the 175? Should I focus on them more than the 168 or should I work on loading the 168 to max and see how fast I can fling those down range? I'm not sure which way to go.

And brass, I was talking with a gentleman at the range who I trust and is a wealth of knowledge in long range precision shooting. He says to buy brass in large quantity to get the same lot just like powder. I uses Lapua brass which he admits is spendy but says he wouldn't shy too much away from any other decent brass as long as it all matched. Any opinions and is there a good place to buy good brass online? I looked at the Lapua stuff and it is spendy but if that is the best option I'll pick up a couple hundred of them to get goin.

Re: Good quality brass and bullet decisions....

as far as the 168/175 question, i think you answered it yourself. i run 168s for everything under 700 yards, which is the bulk of what i do. i load 168s relatively light because i'm not trying to push them to be what they ain't. 175s are reserved for past 700.

i can't answer the brass question with any authority. i do segregate brass by manufacturer and # of times loaded to try and uniform them up to that degree, but i've not tried get all the same lot.

Brass is all just a hunk of metal, and then someone does something with it. Some do more, some do less, and some know how to do more to the less.

My own approach is to get the less, do the more, and then I <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> what was done, and have only myself to blame if I screwed the pooch. At least I'm not paying anyone else to do the screwing.

Bullets I don't mess with. I've never seen a bullet modification strategy that worked better (for me) than leaving the damned things completely alone.

Greg

Im a Lapua fan/whore!, if they make brass in the caliber on my rifle, I will use it over everything els thats out there.

that being said, I would dump both 168 and 175 SMK's and move to 155 Scenars. With a BC of .508, the Scenars will outshoot both of the SMK's at any distance, and will do so with less elevation from your scope.

Good luck.