• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gracey powered primer pocket uniformer/cleaner?

FootSoldier

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 29, 2008
Phoenix, Arizona
Has anyone had experience with this piece of equipment? I am looking for a way to speed up my brass prep for high volume .223 and maybe .308?

Right now I use a K&M uniforming tool in a battery drill. Is the Gracey machine quality gear and worth the investment? I wish Giraud made one.

Re: Gracey primer pocket uniformer/cleaner?

I too use a K&M in a drill, and I have to say, they really need to change the profile of the carbide cutter, it takes a whole lot of effort to cut.

Gracey products are good, but make sure it comes with a carbide blade and not a hardened steel one.

I found that there was nothing to clean out of the primer pockets when I began using stainless media for cleaning.

See the "media for tumbling" thread for details.

Good shooting,
Ron

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron Morrison</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I found that there was nothing to clean out of the primer pockets when I began using stainless media for cleaning.

See the "media for tumbling" thread for details.

Good shooting,
Ron </div></div>

I've seen the pics with that media and I just bought some myself but when I use a Sinclair uniformer it always takes out a small amount of metal from the primer pocket to uniform it, wondering why the SS media would change that?

I've seen the pics with that media and I just bought some myself but when I use a Sinclair uniformer it always takes out a small amount of metal from the primer pocket to uniform it, wondering why the SS media would change that?

It won't; my answer was in the context of removing carbon from the primer pocket.

Uniforming the primer pocket should be a one time deal; if you continue to get more brass each time, your loads may be a little on the hot side.

Good shooting.
Ron

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right now I use a K&M uniforming tool in a battery drill.</div></div>

Same here with a Sinclair. I've looked at the Gracey. Not sure I would realize much savings in time or effort. If Giraud made one, I would probably buy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uniforming the primer pocket should be a one time deal; if you continue to get more brass each time, your loads may be a little on the hot side.</div></div>

I've had the same experience as Dan. Although higher pressure loads may affect the primer pocket more/sooner, it occurs with moderate loads, as well. If brass flows forward, I see nothing to keep it from flowing back.