• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Grayboe Terrain vs MCM HTG

krumfola

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I've got a Grayboe Renegade and I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like the A5 profile stock. It was my first try with this profile and it is a very well-made product but I just don't find it comfortable.

Most of the rifles I own have "hunting" profile stocks and I've always been partial to the MCM HTG but can't spend that kind of cash at the moment. So naturally I'm interested in the Grayboe Terrain which, on paper looks to have the same dimensions or at least they're very close. It looks like the Terrain might even have a slightly higher comb height which would be nice.

Has anyone reviewed it yet or even handled one? Maybe even someone who has an HTG to give a decent comparison.

Thanks.

I have a couple customers asking for cheek piece installs on these. If they send me one soon I'll put up before/after pics.

I'm an A5 guy myself but I'd like to try an HTG on a 308 ranch gun.

What's the consensus on the quality of Grayboe? I talked to a guy there a few days ago and he said it was a solid stock made from a two part epoxy in a mold.

What would make a Mcmillan better other than molded in colors? I don't know anything about what Mcmillan's fill does.

What's the consensus on the quality of Grayboe? I talked to a guy there a few days ago and he said it was a solid stock made from a two part epoxy in a mold.

What would make a Mcmillan better other than molded in colors? I don't know anything about what Mcmillan's fill does.

What exactly do you mean by "ranch gun"?

Graybo is a great value for the money. Theyre made of one homogenous piece of molded fiberglass compound. Whereas a Mcmillan is composed of an outside layer of handlaid fiberglass cloth and a gelcoat with different fillers depending on which part of the stock it goes.

As far as what materials mcmillan uses, I'm not positive but I have worn out tooling milling and cutting into them. The materials are extremely tough inside and out.

Up Up Up, still wondering if anyone out there has compared these 2 stocks. Trying to get a good review of the Terrain before I put the Renegade up for sale.

I speak to Ryan McMillan or one of his guys almost daily. My understanding is that the dimensions on the Terrain and HTG are the same.

I am waiting ing for a few to come in so I can mess with them. The location of that rear flush cup doesn't seem to be ideal for cutting a riser piece in. The Terrain has the cup "holes" molded into them. If it doesn't work out for the cheek riser, I will fill that hole and relocate the cup a little lower and then refinish the stock.

Here are the Renegades I finished yesterday.

IMG_1878.JPG

Reactions: Nittynate
I just spoke with Grayboe and the Terrain and HTG are not one to one models. I will a number of HTGs at my shop and will compare them to the Renegades and post pictures when they arrive.

I just spoke with Grayboe and the Terrain and HTG are not one to one models. I will a number of HTGs at my shop and will compare them to the Renegades and post pictures when they arrive.

Thanks for the info. I've posted my Renegade for sale in a couple other forums and have gotten a few offers but they're low-balling like crazy.

Looks like the Terrains do not have the drop at the comb like the HTGs, which is a welcome revision. The comb is much more like a Manners MCST. Should make shooting behind one, especially with larger objective scopes, much more comfortable.

It looks close, however can't be sure from eyeballing a 'net photo; but does the lower edge of the butt portion, and the lower surface of the forend line up parallel?

My rifles get shot either from a bipod or from a pair of bags, and I like that parallel relationship for the bag-riding process.

I also find that sticking to a 40-44mm objective diameter and the lowest possible base/rings combination tends to reduce my dependence on an adjustable cheek support. I figure anything that simplifies that area just smooths out the position building/shot composition process. I'm old and getting older, and saving time has taken on new meaning for me.

You don''t have to be old to take advantage of that realization, either; I tend to wish I had come to it younger.

Greg

I really haven't ever considered that perspective but simplifying the process does make sense. I've switched to Seekins low rings but with a 34mm main tube and a 50mm objective, "low" is a relative term- hence the desire for a raised cheek weld. My rifle is mostly used for informal longish range shooting and hunting (from a stand or a ground blind in a bean field).

I have considered going to the XTR II 2.5-10x42 (or something else in that class with similar features and glass????) to bring the scope lower but I can't help but feel like I'd be putting myself at a disadvantage by bringing my magnification down that much (I'm currently running a 4-20 XTR II). This is the most magnification that I've ever had in a scope and can't say that I use the upper end all that often but still like the idea of having it. I guess it's more of a convenience than a necessity.

Krumfola,

Here is a picture of 2 black Renegades that have my cheek riser and DBMs in them.

I just became a vendor here on The Hide. Check my website out at www.taylorprecisioneng.com and on Facebook at @taylorprecision

They look great. I have a Renegade and would love to have a cheek riser. Can you PM me to let me know how much to retro fit?

I have a Renegade and love it. The quality is top notch and it's very stiff with no flex whatsoever. I would definitely would recommend.

Looking forward to seeing the differences.

Hopefully this helps a little. From top to bottom, they are:

Manners MCS-T3
Manners MCS-T
Grayboe Terrain
Mcmillan HTG

From a quality standpoint, Grayboe is right there with Manners and McMillan. It is a lot of stock for the money.

Attachments

• photo70961.jpg
    photo70961.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 717
  • photo70962.jpg
    photo70962.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 634
Sorry to wake up a dead post but has anyone figured out a cheek riser setup on the Terrain yet? Just got mine and love it, but definitely need a higher cheek piece to get a proper cheek weld. Be curious to see what everyone else is doing.

I use
Sorry to wake up a dead post but has anyone figured out a cheek riser setup on the Terrain yet? Just got mine and love it, but definitely need a higher cheek piece to get a proper cheek weld. Be curious to see what everyone else is doing.
I use a triad stock pack.

Reactions: Boogieman84
So what’s the verdict on the cheek riser for your Terrain?

Just got the rifle together haven’t decided what I wanna do yet. I’m running one of my Triad Tactical Stock Packs right now and it’s working well the little bit I’ve shot it. I’ll probably send the stock out to Taylor Precision next week.

Not yet. Hoping to send it out today or tomorrow.

Sent the stock to @ktaylor over a week ago, they’ve had it since Monday 2/11 last week according to my tracking. Multiple attempts to contact and confirm delivery with no response. Hopefully they’re just busy. Mostly just wanted to make sure the stock arrived in good condition and wasn’t damaged in shipping. I was told it would take 2-3 weeks to complete the stock. If I hear anything I’ll report back.

@Boogieman84 what are your thoughts on the Terrain? Specs say they are on the heavy side, but they look good.

For a dual purpose hunting and sometimes target rifle, I think it’s hard to beat in the price range if you want a traditional fiberglass stock (KRG Bravo comes to mind but I wouldn’t call it “traditional”). I love mine. It’s very comfortable throwing it up to your shoulder off hand, it feels very natural. For most any hunting scenario position I believe it will be excellent. It’s not the most comfortable laying prone but that’s the sacrifice you make with a Monte Carlo style stock design. The fit and finish is excellent, the action inletting is very clean from the factory. I did have mine pillar and glass bedded because I wanted to extract every ounce of potential I could. Plus I’m running a Bighorn SR3, not a factory Remington 700. But depending on your action it might not even be necessary. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase it or any stock from Grayboe again.

Just as an update I still haven’t received my stock. Although I was able to receive a response from Taylor Precision on Wednesday 2/27 regarding my stock after two weeks of nothing, I have since not been able to reach him for an update. On Wednesday he had told me my Terrain was on the schedule to be cut that day for the cheek riser. I’d asked him to keep me updated. No word yet from him on when it might ship or if the cheek riser was cut.

Also, another one of his customers reached out to me with similar (albeit worse) issues with communication. He bought and paid for a complete Renegade stock from Taylor with his cheek riser set up, in January. He still has not received the stock, nor has he been able to get in contact with anyone from Taylor Precision.

I’m not trying to disrespect the guy or his business, but people need to know these issues before making a decision to use his services. I don’t care what the “norm” is in the gun industry, leaving your customers hanging for weeks and even months is unacceptable. Especially when you’ve already taken their money, in the other gentleman’s case.

I went on yesterday and ordered a cheek piece even after emailing several times looking for information on other custom work. It has been over a week and I wasn't too worried as I know vendors get busy, but after reading this I am wondering if I made the right call and should mail it out or cancel the order? Has he gotten back to you guys? Did he get the stock done?