• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Great balls of fire!!

Flyboy_451

Private
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2018
Went up to the farm saturday and took along the cameras and my 500 Linebaugh for a little experimenting. Here are the results...

The load is a 450 grain hard cast solid being driven by 28 grains of H110. This load yields about 1,200fps from a 4 3/4" barrel. NOT for the inexperienced or faint of heart!!

Justin

Thansks, Doug!

Was really an interesting experiment and had to piddle with things a little on the camera to get the settings right, but well worth the effort, I think.

Went up to the farm saturday and took along the cameras and my 500 Linebaugh for a little experimenting. Here are the results...

View attachment 7073262
View attachment 7073263
View attachment 7073264

The load is a 450 grain hard cast solid being driven by 28 grains of H110. This load yields about 1,200fps from a 4 3/4" barrel. NOT for the inexperienced or faint of heart!!

Justin
Nice follow through!! That’s a handful to handle one handed!! Reminds me of Dirty Harry. Great photos, even better form!!

Shooting the big boomers well takes a fair amount of practice, beginning with less than full throttle loads.

I have single actions in 357mag, 44spl, 44mag, 45 Colt, 454 Cassull, 475 Linebaugh and 500 Linebaugh.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
Shooting those things one handed usually ends up in one of those stupid Youtube videos where the shooter ends up with the impression of a revolver in their forehead skull.

@Flyboy_451 Are you a Giant?

Flyboy_451 in a Crocodile Dundee movie. Lady says "Give him your wallet he has a gun!" That's not a gun. THIS is a gun. Lmao

Reactions: 308pirate
Camera is a Canon 5D mk iii. 24-70 f2.8 L series lens. The shots were captured by using a long exposure late at night with no artificial lighting and no moonlight. Basically, a three second exposure that resulted in no image capture absent the muzzle flash.

Had my better half trigger the shutter after a countdown, at which point I had three seconds to break the shot. The muzzle flash acted exactly like a flash on a camera and provided all light to make the exposure.

Justin

Cool stuff.

Shot my friend’s .475 a couple years ago. For sure rowdy and I was surprised it wasnt more brutal. If I had one I could for sure shoot a couple cylinders of full power loads per outing (and a bunch of practice loads).
IIRC he had a 400 HC going close to 1500 fps? Little more barrel, maybe 5 1/2”?

I built a 460 Rowland on a G21 that has quite a fireball.
May have to try this. My brother has some crazy fancy camera stuff.....

I have been considering finding some friends to team up with to test varieties of ammo in different calibers for muzzle flash.

I have the revolver spectrum pretty well covered, but my bottom feeders only cover a few cartridges.

My expansion of calibers is limited by time for reloading so I keep it simple.

Only revolver rounds I load are .38 and 357 mag.

Badass thread is badass.

Lifelong single action big-boomer shooter right here and nothing makes me smile more than seeing folks keeping the art and tradition of these majestic firearms alive and well.

I have coached countless people in the safe and proper way to handle these large bore revolvers and the best way to start off is by putting full emphasis on correct stance, grip, and foot/leg placement, using pipsqueak handloads to develop muscle memory and repetition. Them large bores ain't to be trifled with by fools. It ain't gonna take more than a second for someone to learn a painful lesson by handling 'em wrong.

I have coached countless people in the safe and proper way to handle these large bore revolvers and the best way to start off is by putting full emphasis on correct stance, grip, and foot/leg placement, using pipsqueak handloads to develop muscle memory and repetition. Them large bores ain't to be trifled with by fools. It ain't gonna take more than a second for someone to learn a painful lesson by handling 'em wrong.
After some month's break from shooting, a few rounds of full power 357 Magnum - on a dim and foggy day - was enough to give me a flinch. Recoil was nothing to write home about but the muzzle flash out of a 4" barrel disturbed me.

May try to get back out tonight with a strobe flash that will cycle up to 200 flashes/sec and try some multiple exposure experiments.

Reactions: Precisiondada
That's pretty fuckin' cool right there. Admittedly I'm not a wheel gun guy though. My wife has an older Canon 5D, those are pretty nice cameras.

@bobke- I don't think that would work out. John is far more dignified and far less belligerent than I! Boatloads of big bore revolver, casting and loading knowledge, and of of the most gracious men I have ever had the privilege of dealing with.

Justin

Reactions: bobke
That is really cool. The flash is pretty consistent in size and shape. It would be interesting to see how the flash varies with different calibers. I'm wondering about variables that would change flash size and shape: the pressure, the bore size, quantity or type of powder....all the variables that could effect the flash. I suspect pressure, burn rate, and quantity of powder are the two biggest variables.

I used to have fun shooting a full auto 5.56x45 out of an 11" barrel at night..couldn't see worth a damn after a bit, but it was fun.