• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Great problem with the H-S Precision rifle.

Re: Great problem with the H-S Precision rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigbada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this looks like the rifle used in the movie behind enemy lines. </div></div>
That was a Sig SSG3000...

There are some that are saying that stainless can't take cold temps. Of course, there are some that will say no problem.

If cold is a problem, that, coupled with a high bolt thrust round, just may have a decided factor on the strength of the receiver to withstand the forces applied. If cold is a problem, the receiver will develop a diminished factor of safety according to the degree of lower temp.

---

By the way, I think that when the action broke, the rearward movement pulled the cartridge a short distance out of the chamber, and in so doing, vented the gases, and the rearward motion then stopped.

Here's what I'm reading in all of this and what I know about HS Precision. The hold up here is the fact that this is an international issue involving a firearm.... And it's Russia! (Nothing against Russia, I happen to be Russian). I know there has to be a shit-load of red tape to wade through to get anything done between the US and RF when it comes to a situation like this. Regardless of who is claiming what, If HS Precision can get this rifle back and determines the receiver was defective, they WILL replace it. PERIOD! I know these guys. They have no reason to screw anyone... Russian or otherwise. To think they would blatantly disregard this situation is sheer stupidity and paranoia on the part of who ever thinks this.

There is no difference Russian or Englishmen, there are different companies.
Everyone knows about international issue involving a firearms,
but all in different ways solve encountered problems.
And if someone decided to sell weapons to the international market, no one is lying about guarantees and no one is selling low-quality products.

I hope that the HS precision would be a normal company and will not try avoid responsibility for a rifle with a dangerous defect in metal casting.

We wait for what the decision HSP will be taken.

Mmmmm I dont think I will ever purchase a HS rifle.

This is not the first time I have seen a dangerous rifle come out of their factory.

A friend has one, and while his has not blown up in his face, YET, I would not be suprised if it did.

Any round that goes into that rifle, be it factory or starting charge weight handloads... the primers come out welded flat to the cases.

I have to agree with some others here. Put yourself in HS's shoes. I've got a rifle out there that has had a catastrophic, potentially deadly failure. Period. I <span style="font-weight: bold">WANT</span> that rifle back whatever the cost. I absolutely MUST analyze this gun to determine my company's exposure to liability. If it costs me a new rifle, I don't care. I need that rifle back.

So there is something else at play here IMO. Whether it's the law, importer, or whatever, there is absolutely no sane manufacturer in the world that would not want that gun back to look at, regardless of fault. It's a potential business ending problem, and if I'm HS, I'm doing whatever I can to get my hands on that gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hantra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I <span style="font-weight: bold">WANT</span> that rifle back ,

and if I'm HS, I'm doing whatever I can to get my hands on that gun. </div></div>

And for this you have ignored the problem for 5 months? ))

SK, I dont think they will give you a full refund being that you used a different stock than the rifle was supplied with. The 2000 action is stainless steel. The 338 is probably pushing any safety factor that was built in to the original action? Cold, stock, 338rd all are factors. The action will flex under perfect conditions.

No, I repeat, this is a defect metal casting and HSP knows about it. Look previous posts.
Now negotiating are moving.

I don't think I would want a "replacement" from a company that won't address a metallurgy fault or even issue a general advisory notice to its customers? Building a .338 on such a flimsy action probably wasn't perticularly intelligent anyway.

Any update on a resolution from HS Precision?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think I would want a "replacement" from a company that won't address a metallurgy fault or even issue a general advisory notice to its customers? Building a .338 on such a flimsy action probably wasn't perticularly intelligent anyway. </div></div>

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any update on a resolution from HS Precision? </div></div>

Mr. Kutsia,
We are currently building an order for Zverboy (Hanter RU). Estimated
delivery for their order is currently about 4 months due to build time and
obtaining an export permit from our US State Department. I will let you know
the contact information as we get closer to the ship date.
Sincerely,
Tom Houghton II
H-S PrecisionR
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:16 AM
To: tom; Josh; Don Sartorius
Subject: Fwd: Re[4]: Archil Kutsia ???
----------------------------------------------
Mon, 18 Apr 2011 21:37:31 <[email protected]>:
> Mr. Houghton,
> OK. We are ready to get a new rifle from Zveroboy. Old rifle, we will
leave
> them.
> When it can be done and with whom we should contact in the Zveroboy?
>
> Archil Kutsia
===========================
Mr. Kutsia,
We are in the process for building a replacement rifle for delivery through
Zverboy. You will be required to deliver the old rifle to them for transport
to us. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Sincerely,
Tom Houghton II
H-S PrecisionR
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2011 1:13 AM
To: tom; Josh; Don Sartorius
Subject: Fwd: Re[2]: Archil Kutsia ???

So with all that...they obviously stepped up and are providing a replacement rifle for the one that was damaged/destroyed.

Did HS Precision ever provide you with a full, detailed explanation of the problems with the rifle that failed or did HS otherwise give you any sort of additional information aside from their agreement to replace the damaged rifle???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So with all that...they obviously stepped up and are providing a replacement rifle for the one that was damaged/destroyed.</div></div>

Obviously? Don't you think you're jumping the gun a bit? This guys been getting the run around for months already. And as we all know, talk is cheap. It'll be "obvious" they stepped up when he has the new gun in his hand. Until then, just more talk.

(thats how I look at everything though, not just this situation, as I know talk is meaningless, it is actions that count)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So with all that...they obviously stepped up and are providing a replacement rifle for the one that was damaged/destroyed.

Did HS Precision ever provide you with a full, detailed explanation of the problems with the rifle that failed or did HS otherwise give you any sort of additional information aside from their agreement to replace the damaged rifle??? </div></div>

HSP knows that the problem is in a defect metal casting.

too complicated company, does not want do money back.
We have no yet other information.

Waiting for the replacement rifle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .sk.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HSP knows that the problem is in a defect metal casting.
</div></div>

Sorry, but I have become very annoyed at you repeating this over and over. THAT RECEIVER IS NOT A CASTING!!! It is either cut from a billet, or it is forged, don't know which, but I do know it sure-as-shit that its not a casting. Repeating your statement about it being a casting (over and over ad infinitum) makes you seem ignorant.

That said, I don't disagree with the material defect theory.

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Did I say somewhere, that the receiver is made by casting?
smile.gif

You're inattentive.
No desire to argue.
Reread previous posts.

I mean that receiver is cut from a defective billet. It is a fact.

May be heat treatment was compromised, not interesting now.

The rifle was broken in half.(

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .sk.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

smile.gif

You're inattentive.
No desire to argue.
Reread previous posts.

</div></div>

I did read your posts, and that is why I quoted you as claiming it was a defective casting. I don't mean to get so technical, because I think we all knew what you meant. Really, I posted what I did for your own benefit - so you wouldn't come off so ignorant. I was not and have not argued against the material defect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .sk.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

smile.gif

You're inattentive.
No desire to argue.
Reread previous posts.

</div></div>

I did read your posts, and that is why I quoted you as claiming it was a defective casting. I don't mean to get so technical, because I think we all knew what you meant. Really, I posted what I did for your own benefit - so you wouldn't come off so ignorant. I was not and have not argued against the material defect. </div></div>

I am sign with the technology of production firearms, and not going to discuss this issue in this thread.
Everyone can understand and see what I mean.
No desire to argue.
Will repeat, all the information is in previous posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Emouse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any update on the awaited replacement? </div></div>

There is no news yet.

Everybody needs to leave the poster alone he is a shooting brother reguardless of where he lives,nobody here on this site knows shit about what happened, you guys were NOT there when the action seperated period. As for H.S they need to get the action back and make sure its not a q.c. issue,and send the poster a new rifle,im sure sending a customer a replacement rifle is not going to destroy H.S Precisions bank account.
Nothing like a bunch of guys adding there I think this happened crap to a post.

Very strange situation ideed. Manufacturing and selling hight quality 338. sniper rifles isn´t just like selling some bananas in the market. There must be very tight control over every produced rifle. Accidently one day there are one rifle out of thousand with metal casteing mistakes and its going to be selled to russian special forces. This all seems to be by me more like sabotage act-provocation by someone against Russia and it´s special services. Maybe some people somewhere haven´t got over their anti russian feelings and still plays stupid cold war games?

I feel conspiracy here!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rapala</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very strange situation ideed. Manufacturing and selling hight quality 338. sniper rifles isn´t just like selling some bananas in the market. There must be very tight control over every produced rifle. Accidently one day there are one rifle out of thousand with metal casteing mistakes and its going to be selled to russian special forces. This all seems to be by me more like sabotage act-provocation by someone against Russia and it´s special services. Maybe some people somewhere haven´t got over their anti russian feelings and still plays stupid cold war games?

I feel conspiracy here!
smile.gif
</div></div>

so with your first post, you chose to sound like an idiot? well played

and the banana market is FAR more volatile than most other markets out there. i know you just chose a random example...but you chose very poorly

He makes one post nearly three months ago then disappears... I'm still interested in whether or not the issue was resolved.

looks like micro fractures caused the crack. The problem goes back to the maker of the steel.

Gentlemen!
I want to thank HS Precision company for the solution of our problem. The rifle was Replacement .
Many thanks to Mr. Tom Houghton II and Mr. Don Sartorius.

Also want to thank the Moscow company "Zveroboy" for their invaluable assistance. Without the help of "Zveroboy" rifle replacement operation in RF would be impossible.

Thank you Gentlemen!

Will you be able to shoot this thing without flinching. This scenerio adds a whole new meaning to being hurt/killed by your own weapon.

Well I'm glad that HS Precision resolved the situation. Did anyone ever figure out what was the cause of the receiver to fracture like that?

Did HSP ever release an official reason to you for the failure?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rapala</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very strange situation ideed. Manufacturing and selling hight quality 338. sniper rifles isn´t just like selling some bananas in the market. There must be very tight control over every produced rifle. Accidently one day there are one rifle out of thousand with metal casteing mistakes and its going to be selled to russian special forces. This all seems to be by me more like sabotage act-provocation by someone against Russia and it´s special services. Maybe some people somewhere haven´t got over their anti russian feelings and still plays stupid cold war games?

I feel conspiracy here!
smile.gif
</div></div>

so with your first post, you chose to sound like an idiot? well played

and the banana market is FAR more volatile than most other markets out there. i know you just chose a random example...but you chose very poorly </div></div>

When Banana prices rise in Aus it makes national headlines, sometimes for months on end, I'm not kidding. We have a Banana base economy.

Am I correct in believing that although the broken rifle was replaced, HS precision has not yet released findings stating what caused the break?

Does HS intend to release findings about what caused the failure, or are they hoping that the issue will just go away over time? Any new information will be much appreciated.

That would be SOP for most companies in most industries with many issues unless it's so dire it demands a recall.

ToddM,
I understand that most companies don't want to admit to quality control issues. It is my belief that if you make enough of anything, murphy's law will eventually cause something to go wrong. I have always retained more trust for companies that let people know what happened, and that it was corrected, than for companies who don't tell anyone what caused the problem. We know what the problem was...broken rifle. What we don't know is what (if anything) HS precision has done to insure that this won't happen in the future.

Companies that appear to be hiding a problem make me far more suspicious that they have severe quality control issues that they will not/ can not correct, hence their unwillingness to state what the problem was, and that it has been corrected.

HS did the right thing by replacing the rifle. However, if I was the recipient of the new rifle, I would sell it a quickly as I could. If HS precision told me what caused the problem, and convinced me that the new rifle is not susceptible to that problem I would consider keeping it.

I agree, no matter how careful companies are about quality control sooner or later they have an issue.

However, the reality is that unless it requires a recall for safety, most will never discuss the problem. They know if they don't issue a statement that everything we know is just speculation and hearsay and not saying anything is the fastest way to make it "go away". If they make an official statement on it publicly that statement is out there forever.

It's best not to worry about it, I can tell you than if you have enough inside information this happens with almost every company sooner or later, in any industry, no matter how well respected they are. It's just that 99.9% of the time these issues never make it to the light of day.

And that is one of the things that makes the internet so useful. Many issues that lots of businesses would like to hide, or sweep under the carpet, come out into the light for consumers to consider.