• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Grendel 2-10ish hunting optic: Trijicon 2-10x56 or - ?

Kanwhitetails

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2018
Central Kansas
10-400 yards potential shots, wooded and prairie Whitetail/Mule/Coyote hunting. Must be excellent low light performer. Prefer MIL/MIL but MOA isn't a deal killer, I think in inches anyway. I know my drops out to 400, so a simple holdover reticle beats dialing, but I'm not opposed to that either.

30mm tube. Low (1-2) power starting end, 10-12 high end. Anything beyond this is unnecessary in this range limit.

Illuminated reticle, FFP>SFP.

I have been thinking a LPVO, IE - Steiner PX5i (gr8ful's running a great deal atm), PST 1-4 or the like would do the job. I think though, at 300+ yards the extra magnification would be nice - as would the larger objectives; especially in low light. So, image quality is very high on the list. I'm not what I would call a glass snob, but I have good vision, and would like to see the target well.

I'd like this optic to be light, but that's down on the list toward the "would be nice" end. Similar situation for the dimensions, would be nice to have a really compact package.

I have been looking at the VX5 HD 2-10 Firedot (C'mon, Leupold, you'd have broken the market open with a decent reticle in this line), the Burris XTR II, and the Trijicon. Given that of the three, the Trij is 2-300 dollars less, I'm wondering if there's a reason not to choose it over the other two?

Are there other options I should be ogling and fondling at the $800 +/- dollar price point?

If you can live with the firedot, the VX5HD is gonna be hard to beat. If you can find a used nightforce in your price range that would be what I went for.

Reactions: Kanwhitetails
Never heard of Meostar. Assuming they are part of the Meopta brand?

I actually like the fire dot. I could live with it.

Has anyone tried the Trijicon? It’s got the largest objective, I would assume that would make it a better light gathering scope? Trijicon isn’t known for junk either.

Has anyone tried the Trijicon? It’s got the largest objective, I would assume that would make it a better light gathering scope? Trijicon isn’t known for junk either.

I had an Accupoint several years ago and actually thought it was a really great hunting scope. I’m no expert on glass but it gave me plenty of visibility in low light scenarios, and I thought the illuminated tritium reticle was just about as perfect as it gets for hunting. Always exactly the brightness it needed to be for the ambient conditions without needing any manual adjustment or batteries. It’s a real good meat n’ taters optic in my opinion. I bet they can found for a real deal since they’re not very popular... I could definitely live with one again on a hunting only rifle if the right deal came along.

Last edited:
Trijicon is a good scope, but it is a bit on the old side. It still works alright and it is good in low light. It is not as good on low power as some other options, but it works.

This scope is not designed for turret twisting, so I would not try that. IT can be used for reticle holdover in a pinch if you get one with a Mil-Dot reticle. It is old school, so to speak, but it works.

I would probably lean toward something a little more compact like the Meostar Doug mentioned, but Accupoint will work if that is what you want.

ILya

Dont overlook the Burris XTR II. That's a rock solid and reliable optic in that magnification range.

I run the 4-20 on my Grendel. But I live in pretty big, mountainous country. 400 yards is generally a fairly close shot.

I do a lot of whitetail hunting at last light. My go to scope for that purpose on my main deer rifle is a Meopta meostar 3-12x56 with a german #4 reticle. My other deer rifle has a Swarovski PH 2.5-10x56 with a German #4 reticle. The common theme is great optics, big objective, and good low light reticle. Low light hunting is a shorter range proposition, you're not going to be shooting 400 yds in true low light. All optics are a compromise however so you may need 400 yd capability during the day so a turret or holdover reticle may be called for. Where I hunt there's no possibility of a shot over 300 yds so I don't have those on my hunting scopes. Graduated reticles don't lend themselves to low light hunting so illumination is needed with them to make up for the thin reticle. With a proper low light reticle like a German #4 illumination isn't really needed, but it doesn't hurt either. To put it bluntly, the standard mil/moa reticle most guys like on this board is crap for hunting when the light gets low (when the deer are moving). You mentioned the Leupold VX-5HD firedot not being good, I'd beg to differ, it's a very good reticle for hunting but it gets no respect here because most here aren't hunters.

Over the course of my hunting life with several hundred deer and a few elk & caribou under my belt I've dialed for a shot exactly one time (on an elk) so the need to dial or use a holdover reticle is about as rare as hen's teeth in real life whitetail hunting situations. If you feel you need a reticle for holdovers Meopta makes an illuminated #4B with graduations in their 3-12x56 which gives you that ability in a great low light scope.

https://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet...&catalog[product_guids][0]=1118214#category_2

I'm going off the OP's stated need for a low light scope when I say of the scopes mentioned on this thread I'd skip the Burris XTRII because the glass isn't up to snuff for a low light optic. Likewise the NSX 2.5-10x32, you need more objective than that. The meopta 1.7-10x42 is good but for the same price you can have the 3-12x56 and it'll eat it's lunch in low light. The leupold VX-5HD glass is surprisingly good and would be a good choice. The big objective Trijicon is OK but glass isn't as good as the meopta. Skip the low power variables, magnification helps when it gets dark. Skip the small objectives too, you can't use higher magnification with small objectives when it gets dim.

I disagree with you. The glass is excellent in the 2-10 XTR II. Just ask anyone who owns one. You can find multitudes of posts here on the Hide with folks saying as much.

I've got an XTR II (4-20) and the glass is mediocre at best. Maybe they put better glass in the 2-10. I use mine on a prairie dog rifle and mechanically it's fine but I wouldn't put it on a serious hunting rifle. The glass quality is my biggest complaint about the burris. I just bought a Nikon FX-1000 6-24 and the glass is a step up over the burris. Most of the time it doesn't really matter, but at last light it does make a difference.

The glass on the Meopta’s are on a different level than the XTRii’s. I’ve been through many scopes looking for the best in low light performance, Meoptas perform well above their price point.

I definitely wasnt comparing the Burris to the Meostar.

I was simply saying in the 2-10 XTR II, it's very much up to the task of being a good optic on a Grendel for hunting.

I have several 4-20's, all fairly recent, that have very good glass. I hunt and compete with them without issue. And to be quite honest, this whole "low light" scenario that gets bounced around all the time is an absolute minuscule longshot of occurring and not having glass sufficient to the task.

I've hunted big game and small all over the northwest for 42 years, avidly. I've never ran into it. And that was with optics of far less quality than what we have today.

I ran into it this past weekend, something came out and I couldn’t tell what it was with my varixlll, I commented to my dad when I got picked up from the blind that I would have liked to have had his swaro that evening. Low light glass definitely matters for hunting.

Reactions: krumfola
In my neck of the woods, shooting windows open at 30m before legal sunrise, and 30m after sunset. It gets dark quick, especially when overcast. My experience is that deer seem to know when dark is coming or leaving, and wind up standing right at the edge of the trees within about 5m of the legal shooting window. I deal with low light targeting a fair bit. I will tell you that moment you find yourself sitting in your blind or stand, after five hours of sitting watching empty fields, and start packing up because you just can't see well enough to ethically shoot anymore is when that deer shows up. Nothing as frustrating as being able to see a deer with your naked eye, then looking through your scope to see nothing but dark shadows ruling the image. I hunted with a 1-4 PST and found this to be the case more than I wanted to admit.

I'm grateful for the advice so far. The Meostar looks promising, I've just never seen or heard of it until now. I have beard of Meopta, but didn't realize they made it. Not surprising, as this is a scope forum. You guys know optics, I know little.

I want as compact a package as I can get while maintaining good sight picture as late as possible in the day. Also, mechanics and reticle options. I don't know if I'd call the Trijicon compact, but I assume based on the reputation Trijicon has built it should be solid.

That being said, I'm sorry I gave the impression that the Leupold Firedot duplex isn't a good reticle. It is. In fact, a simple duplex with a dot may well be the best option there is in this situation. The simple holdover method I always used before the new stadia based reticles always put game down, and I'll admit that these new reticle offerings have spoiled me. I really like the VX5 2-10 and 3-15, if I could find one used for 70% of new price, I'd probably be in thick competition to snap it up.

I own a Bushnell LRTSi 4.5-18 now. It's okay, but I wouldn't call it a good choice for a hunting optic. For me, it is a case where the reticle gets in the way more than I wish it did, especially when illuminated while magnified. For a midrange target/competition optic, it's just about perfect. However, I don't want to be constantly fiddling with turning the illumination down so that it's easy to see through as the ambient light gets lower. It's also long, and heavier than ideal for a brush gun. These are my main reasons for the search for a replacement.

I've looked through a Burris 2-10. I didn't see or feel anything I didn't like. I think it was an SCR reticle, hashes on the straight lines. I wasn't thinking about it in terms of low light performance at the time though.

If that Meostar had little iuminated dots on the end of their BDC3 stadia, I would be looking even harder than I am at it. It has my attention though regardless.

Futch, I'm very familiar with Swaro glass. I wonder why everytime I see a Swarovski I could afford, it's a one inch tube? All my mounts are 30/34mm. It may be worth just buying another.

Reactions: RFutch
I definitely wasnt comparing the Burris to the Meostar.

I was simply saying in the 2-10 XTR II, it's very much up to the task of being a good optic on a Grendel for hunting.

I have several 4-20's, all fairly recent, that have very good glass. I hunt and compete with them without issue. And to be quite honest, this whole "low light" scenario that gets bounced around all the time is an absolute minuscule longshot of occurring and not having glass sufficient to the task.

I've hunted big game and small all over the northwest for 42 years, avidly. I've never ran into it. And that was with optics of far less quality than what we have today.

On one hand, the optics of XTR II are good enough for most things.

On the other hand, there are several hunting type scopes that can be had for similar money that are better optically. In this situation, the reason to choose XTR II would be if you need a ranging reticle or reliable exposed turrets. For shooting inside of 400 yards, I do not think those two are your most important things.

For most cartridges in the 308 class or thereabouts, you do not need very sophisticated tactical turrets or reticles to get out to 400 under hunting conditions.

For this situation, I would lean toward something that will have capped turrets, stay zeroed, and possess the best glass I can get in that price range.

In this case, Meostar is easily one of the better options, especially if he wants something on the more compact side as compared to the 56mm Trijicon.

Now, if he wanted to reach further out and was going to be twisting turrets a lot, XTR II would definitely be in the running.

With the way the prices are at the moment, if someone wanted a simple hunting scope, Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40 with G4-BDC reticle can be had for $500. That is a raging deal for a compact, lightweight and optically excellent scope.

If you want reticle illumination, stepping up to the Meostar is a really good way to go. Generally speaking, in terms of low light performance for the dollar, Meostar R1 3-12x56 is up there with the best of them. There is a reason Meopta sells more of these that all of their other R1 scopes combined.

ILya

Last edited:
Ilya, you're a great resource. I've read a few of your optics reviews, but not enough apparently. I did not even know about Meopta's offering after all. You've hit my proverbial nail on the head. I like the exposed turrets, but it's not necessary here. I could do good enough, and go with a lower priced option, as you suggest. I feel like that would be a mistake though, and am here to attempt to better my decision with good information.

I have a bolt gun with a Mark5 HD 5-25 on it for when I want to twist some turrets. I've got a Grendel pistol with a PRO on it for medium range (inside 600) steel ringing, or other similar purposes. I've got my BCM RECCE for blasting and carbine skills. My Grendel rifle is high quality, and it's performance deserves really good hunting glass.

So far, things here bring me back to the Meostar again and again. Before I was aware of that one, I kept finding my way to the VX5s, and the Trij. I knew these two names, and felt like either would do what I wanted well. If the Meostar is more compact than the Trijicon, has glass that betters or rivals the VX5 line, and is reputable for holding zero, then I'm pretty much sold.

What's the Meopta warranty like? Resale? These would probably be the last two hurdles. Well, that and the fact that the other two mentioned are at least mostly made here in the USA...

I regret selling two scopes I’ve owned, one was a Meostar 3-12x56, one was a Zeiss Victory HT 3-12x56...both were excellent hunting scopes. I wanted something lighter and more compact than the Meostar, so I sold that and picked up a 2-10x40 razor hd lh, which I love...but I should have kept the Meostar for another rifle. The Zeiss, I wanted more magnification. I replaced that with a Razor AMG, which is a great scope...but doesn’t perform anywhere close to the Zeiss at dusk and dawn.

You won’t be disappointed in the Meopta, IMO it stacks up even with scopes that cost a lot more.

I ended up with a Swaro z8i 2.3-18x56 on my grendel, love everything about it.
0BA3FEAC-EE58-4BD7-AA3E-05B49BB6EA58.jpeg

Ilya, you're a great resource. I've read a few of your optics reviews, but not enough apparently. I did not even know about Meopta's offering after all. You've hit my proverbial nail on the head. I like the exposed turrets, but it's not necessary here. I could do good enough, and go with a lower priced option, as you suggest. I feel like that would be a mistake though, and am here to attempt to better my decision with good information.

I have a bolt gun with a Mark5 HD 5-25 on it for when I want to twist some turrets. I've got a Grendel pistol with a PRO on it for medium range (inside 600) steel ringing, or other similar purposes. I've got my BCM RECCE for blasting and carbine skills. My Grendel rifle is high quality, and it's performance deserves really good hunting glass.

So far, things here bring me back to the Meostar again and again. Before I was aware of that one, I kept finding my way to the VX5s, and the Trij. I knew these two names, and felt like either would do what I wanted well. If the Meostar is more compact than the Trijicon, has glass that betters or rivals the VX5 line, and is reputable for holding zero, then I'm pretty much sold.

What's the Meopta warranty like? Resale? These would probably be the last two hurdles. Well, that and the fact that the other two mentioned are at least mostly made here in the USA...

Thank you for your kind words.

I have a Grendel too and it wears a Tangent Theta:
i-qHNnTWS-L.jpg

With Meopta, if memory serves me right, the MeoPro scopes are assembled in the US, while the Meostars in the main facility in Czech Republic. The company is US owned though. Of the other two scopes you mentioned, VX-5 is indeed made in the US, while the Trijicon Accupoint is made in Japan.

WIth the 3-12x56 Meostar, the R1 model has FFP reticle, while the R1r has SFP reticle. Pick what works for you.

ILya