• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun broker or Gunsamerica

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
Didn't know where to post, so here it is. Who has bought from these sites? Which is the preferred? How do yo go about doing it? Have never bought rifle off internet. Need to know bout purchase,safest way to pay,what to avoid or stay away from. Plus using FFL dealer to purchase. Sorry for all the questions. But that's what I need help with. Thanks

I suggest a WTB ad here before either of those two sites. Its real easy to get a full honest assessment of most members who sell here.

GunBroker all the way. I have sold and bought hundreds of items there. Just check the seller's feedback, their system works just like fleabay.

As for paying, most sellers will take CC or money order. Check with your local fun shops to see if they will accept a transfer from another FFL, then you can have your firearm shipped to them.

Local GS and pawnshops will do FFl transfer. Most only charge 25.00 for transfer in my area. I have always has good transactions buying here. You also have many site sponsors to buy from depending on what you are looking for. Custom gun makers are all over this site and are to numerous to list. Post in appropriate section what you are thinking of, bolt action or semi-auto and people around here are very helpful and very ​knowledgeable. Also look in the PX section as there are some good deals on some great rifles in there. Good luck with your future purchase!

Not to be a fanboy, but I second posting on SH first. I posted a WTB for a Surgeon 591 here on the Hide. I had three offers and bought the fourth one that fit my very unrealistic expectations. (Shout out to the honorable JCallan) I may not agree with all the brass around here but the SH community takes care of each other.

Of the two you asked about, I'd recommend Gun Broker. They do a pretty decent job of trying to keep transactions above board and honest. Whatever you choose, make sure you do not get pulled into doing any part of the transaction outside of the site itself, other than maybe casual conversations and questions.

Gunbroker / not bad.
Guns America sucks brown dental floss.

don't forget about accurateshooter, it seems damn near all of those guys are top notch. The Hide and AS are my go-to's. If they fail, I have used gunbroker. Do you have a login account for GB? You'll need one. After that, it is pretty straight forward...either click the "buy now" button or place a bid, the increments are listed at the very bottom of each auction. Assuming you win, you can send the seller a message or many times, they just get in contact with you. It's very simple as a buyer.

GunBroker my man!! For real do you think all these people buy all their gear from just one place only? Never put all your eggs in the same basket. Shop around and find the best price. Be sure to insure your purchase, plus your credit card company will always have their customers back, mine has.
Didn't know where to post, so here it is. Who has bought from these sites? Which is the preferred? How do yo go about doing it? Have never bought rifle off internet. Need to know bout purchase,safest way to pay,what to avoid or stay away from. Plus using FFL dealer to purchase. Sos in thestions. But that's what I need help with. Thanks

I've had good luck buying/selling on gunbroker. One thing to pay attention to is the sellers with very low prices, but charge you a "fee" if you pay with a credit card. Fuck these assholes. That is a direct violation of their contract they signed with Visa/MC Merchant Services in order to be able to accept credit card payments.

Like said before...here on the hide first...been warm And fuzzy every time...
But I've used GB with satisfaction as well...
As mentioned,watch low ball prices as some will beat you up on shipping...

I've used gunbroker several times for purchasing. I also use it for price checking. It's real simple. Set up an account, use your zip code to find nearby ffl dealers. I usually contact the ffl and make sure they'll assist me before I make a purchase. Start shopping. This site Is also great for finding specific firearms I can't find or get from my local gun stores because gb is nation wide.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

+4

I've sold and bought guns on Gunbroker many times without issue. However, I always feel better buying and selling by making contact with forum members in the forums that I've been a long time member of. Either way, avoid gunsamerica.

Don't forget Armslist.com either as another possible source.

And remember, unless you live in one of the few states where private sales of firearms are illegal, you don't need an FFL (even to receive a shipped firearm) if you and the seller are residents of the same state.

All you need to know is Guns America supports Tactical Rifles.net

I've made a number of purchases and sales using GunBroker, just follow the rules. I've found Gunsamerica is more difficult to use and the prices are noticeably higher than GunBroker. However, GunsAmerica seems to have some items than GunBroker does not and more sellers apear to be brick and mortar stores (thus the higher prices). No one has mentioned Auction Arms, another option.

I have bought and sold many times on GB, they have a very good verification process. I haven't had anything but perfect transactions.

I've used both with no problems. I agree that GunsAmerica seems to be more for dealers selling stock, but when I was looking for a S&W Model 10 revolver (for example) a dealer on GunsAmerica had dozens of 'em to choose from, each individually photographed and described. I don't recall that being common on Gunbroker. The couple of times I've sold, I used Gunbroker.

I have bought from Gunbroker many times and did have one problem buying a Colt Python listed as new in box. While the Python looked good it would jam after the first round and I could not pull back the hammer or pull the trigger. Gunbroker said that since I fired it they would not offer their Buyer's Protection which would not even come close to covering the cost of the Python. I think it is limited to $300 or $500 max. I had to send the Python back to Colt to be fixed and it was VERY expensive. The seller said it was a consignment gun and would not stand behind his product.

From that experience I learned to read carefully the seller's feedback, and only use a credit card which will back you up. I no longer will send a money order except to forum members who have a history of 200 or 300 plus posts. i did buy a slightly used Sako TRG 42 here from a well established member. The TRG arrived well packed and was everything the seller said it was.

When I say a well established member with a good history of posts that reminds me when I was about to mail a USPS money order to a Coltforum member who did not have more than 4 posts. When I wrote on the forum that I was about to buy this other Colt Python with a serial number that the seller listed I was told by another member that he just bought that very Python. He was a retired police officer who was able to get the postal service to return his money order and I did not send my money order in. As a retired police officer he was able to find out the seller was a convicted felon who could not even own a gun (not that the gun was even really for sale) and was using a safe house from someone who would accept his mail.

Again, if you read feedbacks and use a credit card no real problem. If you buy from any forum member look for a long history of posts. As far as that 3 per cent credit card fee most credit card companies like American Express say they can do that. It can be a small
price to pay for security and some companies do not charge a fee. I would not use Auction Arms or GunsAmerica

Google "gunbroker sucks" to get a different perspective.

You're not buying from Gunbroker though.

Sellers actually are buying something from them. they're a service company and I've paid them almost $200 in the last 6 months. My biggest complaint is their tolerance of non-paying bidders that crash your auction and never pay. if you're a dealer selling stock the GB policy is fine, you can just relist the item indefinitely. If you're an individual seller you're locked into that cycle for however long it lasts unless you walk away from your listing fees.

This was a PP issue (not NPB) but I know a hide member who got completely screwed selling a premium 1911 on GB...buyer got the pistol, GB got the fee, seller got nothing.

I've had good transactions with GB too, statistically things work out well most of the time. but when they don't, it sucks.

Last edited:
This was a PP issue (not NPB) but I know a hide member who got completely screwed selling a premium 1911 on GB...buyer got the pistol, GB got the fee, seller got nothing.

Mike, I would like to be able to understand what you are saying a little better. What is PP? What is NPB? Why would this Hide Member have shipped his 1911 if he did not have secure payment? Did he report the gun stolen?

If he was not paid then someone stole the gun which is a crime, and since these transactions have to go through a FFL and FFL's need to see ID of their customers......it seems like this would be low hanging fruit for LE.

Purchased on The Hide and GB with success but have never sold anything on any of the aforementioned. The one time I made contact on Guns America about a rifle purchase it became suspicious real quick with the guy wanting to take it offline. Needless to say I did not make the transaction.

If you buy from GunsAmerica,

You will be supporting Paul Helinski who has given Frank and this site a lot of grief.

nadehahy.jpg

Avoid GunsAmerica! Read the thread below.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...ide-%96-truth-about-internet.html#post2977224

rxs0

Last edited:
PP - paypal
NPB - non paying bidder

Just a guess but-
Guy probably paid thru paypal and funds seized due to no guns policy

Mike, I would like to be able to understand what you are saying a little better. What is PP? What is NPB? Why would this Hide Member have shipped his 1911 if he did not have secure payment? Did he report the gun stolen?

If he was not paid then someone stole the gun which is a crime, and since these transactions have to go through a FFL and FFL's need to see ID of their customers......it seems like this would be low hanging fruit for LE.

PP - paypal
NPB - non paying bidder

Just a guess but-

thanks FTC, you're correct.

Diverdon, I'm not trying to slam GB. They might be the best option overall. I've just lost a lot of time and money because of their policies lately and I don't like paying money to get screwed with. There are always many sides to the story and I'm sure it's not easy running a site like that. I just wish they could do more to:
-protect both buyers and sellers
-mediate disputes quickly and fairly
-facilitate transactions efficiently

In my recent experience they didn't do those things well but they made sure they got paid anyway. Not saying that's the norm.

PP - paypal
NPB - non paying bidder

Just a guess but-

Be very careful dealing with paypal on firearm stuff, if they find out, your account will be locked and any money in that account will be froze until you go to the pp "board" and beg for your account to be unlocked. Even then it is up to them on what to do.

After going through that BS a while back, I no longer support pp.

Me personally, I don't judge the service provider I'm using, just the person I'm doing business with. Have a little communication with the person your buying from and feel them out a little. Use your instincts.

Gunbroker is a broker. Your dealings are with the seller, which is not gunbroker. Complaints to the BBB mean jack shit.

Complaints to the BBB mean that folks participating in GB's business model were dissatisfied and sought recourse.

I have bought and sold on Gunbroker with good experiences all around. I've never used GA just simply because of bad reviews from people I know that have used it. I use ArmsList all the time before I go to other sites. ArmsList will get me what I want locally, and it's a FTF transaction so I can check a person's CPL, or they can sell to me and I don't have to worry about shipping or FFL fees. If that doesn't work out - I would go to the classifieds here or another good gun forum - and then Gunbroker.

On the PP stuff:

(1)My thanks to DMike and FTC for enlightening me.
(2)What skum! I understand they have a right not to be involved in a transaction, but how can they steal the money? I guess it must be in the terms you have to agree to before you sign up. Still it seems like simple theft. I would like to see them charged, convicted, and put out of business.

On the PP stuff: < snip > I would like to see them charged, convicted, and put out of business.

I have no use for their policies either, but be aware that PP is based in California, the most lawsuit crazy state in the country. If they allowed their service to be used to buy a gun they probably would be sued if that gun ever were used to hurt someone, just as the gun companies used to get sued before a federal law was passed to stop it. PP would have to pay either to defend the suit or pay off the plaintiff's lawyer. It ain't right, but it's the way the system works, and will continue to work unless and until a loser-pays system can be put in place where a losing plaintiff has to pay the defendant's legal expenses including lawyer fees. (Since most state legislatures are disproportionately full of plaintiff lawyers, this will happen on or just before the day Hell freezes over.) So even if PP is run by anti-gun loons, their policy of not allowing use of their service to buy guns probably is a sound business decision, given the legal environment in which they operate.

In addition, PP is a subsidiary of Ebay. You're as likely to get Ebay put out of business as to do that to Google. (Or Microsoft, for that matter, which apparently has a policy against letting gun sellers use their Sharepoint web services software.)

And if you need to take credit cards as part of irregular or small-scale (non-gun) internet sales, PP is the only low price option that I'm aware of. You have to be pretty big to afford your own merchant account with one of the credit card companies.

Bottom line: when stuff seems screwed up in this country, it's almost always because lawyers have gotten involved. (Full disclosure - I've been a lawyer for 45 years, so I speak with some authority on this point. Sadly.)

I have no use for their policies either, but be aware that PP is based in California, the most lawsuit crazy state in the country. If they allowed their service to be used to buy a gun they probably would be sued if that gun ever were used to hurt someone, just as the gun companies used to get sued before a federal law was passed to stop it. PP would have to pay either to defend the suit or pay off the plaintiff's lawyer. It ain't right, but it's the way the system works, and will continue to work unless and until a loser-pays system can be put in place where a losing plaintiff has to pay the defendant's legal expenses including lawyer fees. (Since most state legislatures are disproportionately full of plaintiff lawyers, this will happen on or just before the day Hell freezes over.) So even if PP is run by anti-gun loons, their policy of not allowing use of their service to buy guns probably is a sound business decision, given the legal environment in which they operate.

In addition, PP is a subsidiary of Ebay. You're as likely to get Ebay put out of business as to do that to Google. (Or Microsoft, for that matter, which apparently has a policy against letting gun sellers use their Sharepoint web services software.)

And if you need to take credit cards as part of irregular or small-scale (non-gun) internet sales, PP is the only low price option that I'm aware of. You have to be pretty big to afford your own merchant account with one of the credit card companies.

Bottom line: when stuff seems screwed up in this country, it's almost always because lawyers have gotten involved. (Full disclosure - I've been a lawyer for 45 years, so I speak with some authority on this point. Sadly.)

Wrangler, thank you for your insight and comments. Of course I already knew that it was not really practical to put PP out of business. I was merely expressing a sentiment. I agree that it is their right not to be involved in transactions of their choosing. I just can not see how they get the right to steal funds, even entire accounts based on a single transaction. At most the transaction should bounce (with the payer still having the funds) then by all means close both accounts and give the parties involved the funds they have on deposit. But, PP keeping or threatening to keep funds, to me that seems criminal. Again, I guess users agree to that on page 347 of the fine print but it still seems criminal for them to steal the funds. After all, can a Person agree to be murdered, or under the law would a killer still be a murder even if the victim asked to be killed? I am pretty sure that (in my mind at least) if PP is keeping funds then they are stealing.

I am not a member of PP. I was once. I just used my cc through PP to pay for things and it worked pretty well. Then they sent me a email saying I had reached a "life time spending limit" and I needed to give them my bank account information and allow them to put money in or take it out when ever they wanted..............I responded to that email with instructions to close my account.

Wrangler, when it comes to lawyers everybody hates them, until they need one, then they want the baddest gunslinger on the block. But, mostly they would prefer it if their Attorney worked for burger flipper wages.

Beware of Gunbroker:

I was a member of GunBroker.com for years. I have bought and sold firearms from individuals with no problem. The last two guns I tried to sell the transactions did not look within the law to me and made me uncomfortable selling to these individuals. When I refused to complete the transactions. I started to receive threatening and vulgar emails from the would be buyers. GunBroker supported their behavior and supported the transaction be completed. I paid GunBrokers Fees for the sale of the firearms even though I never received any money for the transfer that never happened. I do believe GunBroker.com is willing to turn their head the other way because of the money they make on transactions. I believe this site is an attraction to the criminal. All I can tell you is BEWARE.

I've only bought from GB. Have yet to have issue with my limited transactions. I do know quite a few people that have the same complaints as Bustedgupgi so watch out for that

look here or accurate shooter. Both GB and GA have "pawn shop prices". Here you have shooters buying from and selling to shooters.