• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Gun Shop Reality Show looking for NC enthusiasts

hlb323

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
My name is Helen and I'm a segment producer for a brand new reality TV series that will be filming in Fayetteville, NC. The show is very similar to the popular pawn shop shows that air on TV now.

The show, produced by Zodiak USA, revolves around the locally owned and run Guns Plus located in Spring Lake, NC on Bragg Boulevard. The show documents people and their possessions as they enter Guns Plus looking to make a deal and testing out the guns at the store's shooting range. The shop buys and sells all sorts of weaponry including exotic high end and antique guns and we are looking for the people to buy or sell those items - new, old, non-functioning antiques, modifications...things of that nature.

The segments would take about an hour and a half to film and potential buyers and sellers would negotiate a deal with the owner of the shop and then test out their gun at the store's firing range. The show is set to film in January and I am reaching out to local gun clubs and organizations like yours to see if anyone in their membership would be interested in being on the show.

I'd love to speak with anyone interested as soon as possible, so please feel free to forward this email to anyone you think would like to be on the show. You can call me at (917) 830-4132 or email at [email protected]

Thank you so much for your time and I look forward to hearing from you!

All the best,
Helen

Re: Gun Shop Reality Show looking for NC enthusiasts

I know you've posted this appeal in other forums, and I'd just like you to take this message back to your production companies and such.

The growing proliferation of 'reality' shows is becoming an annoying blot upon the common bandwidth. History channels that show scant history, and discovery channels that show unappealing characters performing disastrous stunts for questionable reasons are becoming a disturbing norm.

It's worse than watching a train wreck. It's akin to staging one, then charging admission to a private showing with close-ups of the gory aftermath.

Laudable taste and decent conscience appear sorely lacking from the product.

It may be a product of giving the public what it wants, in a latter day emulation of the regularly scheduled 'entertainments' common to the original Roman Coliseum. What the public wants falls short of being a credible motivation.

I can't honestly determine how much 'truth' is depicted, but I can say that these entertainments appear clumsily contrived and deliberately intended to pander to the voyeur in far too many individuals whose last vestige of good taste has died long past.

When I consider what I'd like to see from entertainment programming, an effort to leave the world at least a small amount better after my contribution, such 'reality' programming appears to be deliberately contrived to produce the opposite.

Had I wanted to degrade the general conscience and intellectual prowess of a viewing public, staging a continuous visual diet of 'reality' programming such as has become popular of late would be a stratagem that ranks high on my list of immediate goals.

When viewed in such a light, it should not be so surprising to you that so many here greet your appeal so negatively.

Greg

I totally and whole-heartedly agree with Greg. There aren't any 'reality' tv shows out there that I want to watch, and my wife feels the same.

"Unreal" would be a more accurate title of such drivel. That, and a warning to NOT do business with any of the so-called 'celebrities'.

Unless of course, you intend on turning the genre on its ear, and doing things correctly. Respectably. Accurately. And with Integrity.

I will say to any and ALL tv representing employees, that those definitions can be found in a dictionary. One should learn a new word each day. These ones continuously get sorely missed.

As soon as this season's 'Gold Rush' and 'Hell On Wheels' is over I'm canceling my cable. There are simply too few shows with any real value, it seems as though most are poorly done rip-off of previously successful shows and 90+% of what is on TV at any given time is just pure re-runs.

Example: 'Cajun Pawn Stars' I watched this shit this morning and didn't make it through the first of my two recorded episodes. Even the original Pawn Stars feels contrived and fake now that they try to work 'Subway' into every scene.

Example: 'Storage Wars Texas' Swing and a miss...

The list goes on an on and the OP's show sounds like just another rip off of pawn stars meets Red Jacket/American Guns.

I really can't wait until my two shows are over, I'll Netflix shows in the future which will not only save a boat load of cash but I won't have to wait a week to see the next episode. However, I bet our posts won't even be read by "Helen" as I'm sure she has millions of douchebags from ARF just dieing to make us (gun owners) look like tools. I only hope Helen takes the high road and weeds out the dolts but dolts make for good TV so my hopes aren't high.

Oh boy, a televised version of a couple threads on here about the things we overhear while visiting a gunshop only enhanced for effect.

Topstrap

And by the way Helen, quit sending me emails every week trying to get me to come on down and be on the show. I don't deal with pawn shops or gun stores masquerading as pawn shops. If you are truly interested in promoting shooting sports and gun ownership you should do some programming that includes some of the shooting competitions and matches that occur every weekend in North Carolina. Maybe there is not enough drama involved to get the proper mouthbreather ratings on a show like that though.
I have some ideas for some shows that gun owners might like to watch, and if you would like to hear them then feel free to email me again. If however you are interested in mediocre drama and portraying gun owners in general as retarded hicks....go hump someone elses leg and leave us alone.

Glad to see how the Hide takes it's stance on these stupid reality shows...I love this site HAH!
smile.gif

Problem is most (similar to the converations overheard at gunshops thread) have no idea just how ridiculous most of these occurences in stores or on these shows really are. People will watch and sponsors will pay to get on the air with it. Makes me nearly cry... nearly. Even if you hate the film, Idiocracy, it's true... and getting worse daily. All we can do, is not support. Having been to Guns Plus (plus DVDs and tools)on Bragg Blvd, it's not even that great a pawn shop. I wish them well and pray every night that this show fails and never sees light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBLACKBISHOP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Idiocracy, it's true... </div></div>

+1

True blackbishop...I live 30-40 minutes away and never set foot in the place.

I hope all involved apear as smart as they are in real life. Ban this commercial appeal.

You <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">can</span></span> do more. You just have to get up off the couch and actually do it.

Advertisers are footing the bill for this stuff, and as far as they seem to care, there are two important factors.

The programming has to be appealing, and it also has to be cheap. Unless they hear otherwise, the first part is an assumption. IMHO, it's a faulty one.

So informing them that their sponsorship consititutes an insult to all but the most witless intelligence might be a productive tactic. We've been patiant, but our patience is past any reasonable limit; that sort of message. Whoever chose that strategy deserves to be unemployed, so let's get that part sorted and move on.

The one way they can absolutely guarantee their advertising money is being totally wasted is to expend it on further reality programming. Their message can't be working too well if the vehicle that's conveying it is being deliberately and soundly ignored.

If they care about anything, they should be caring about messages like that.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">can</span></span> do more. You just have to get up off the couch and actually do it.

Advertisers are footing the bill for this stuff, and as far as they seem to care, there are two important factors.

The programming has to be appealing, and it also has to be cheap. Unless they hear otherwise, the first part is an assumption. IMHO, it's a faulty one.

So informing them that their sponsorship consititutes an insult to all but the most witless intelligence might be a productive tactic. We've been patiant, but our patience is past any reasonable limit; that sort of message. Whoever chose that strategy deserves to be unemployed, so let's get that part sorted and move on.

The one way they can absolutely guarantee their advertising money is being totally wasted is to expend it on further reality programming. Their message can't be working too well if the vehicle that's conveying it is being deliberately and soundly ignored.

If they care about anything, they should be caring about messages like that.

Greg </div></div>

Greg lets start a poll, and hit the 4 points and keep it on top and have all hide members vote. its hitting a button.

I voiced an opinion and made a point.

I folks want to go beyond such, that's up to them.

Greg

Greg,
You're right. So... I did a little looking around. Found a link to their site. After diggin through results for apparently rip off brand inflatable boats and womens shoes I found this site for their office contacts. http://www.zodiakusa.com/#/contact/
I sent a VERY professional message to both Los Angeles and New York offices, politely asking them to abandon the project on grounds discussed in this thread. I also sent them a link to this thread and stated that if they were truly interested in knowing what the serious demographic of responsible gun owners thinks of the concept, that they take a hard look.

I would like to invite all our hide members concerned for the future of firearm sports, trade, and practice to do the same!

Additionally, here is the contact information for Guns Plus
1503 North Bragg Boulevard,
Spring Lake, NC 28390-2012
(910) 497-2440 &#8206;

Tomorrow, they will receive a call from me, I plan to inform them of my opinion and professionally request that they withdraw their participation from the series, before more detrimental images/videos of firearm owners blown out of proportion or sensationalized for dramatic appeal further damage the decades of hard work from responsible sportsmen put forward. Anyone else going to call?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glad to see how the Hide takes it's stance on these stupid reality shows...I love this site HAH!
smile.gif
</div></div>

Yeah! We don't take too kindly to those "reality" show folks around here.