• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gun Weight and Hunting

If what you’re saying is true then you need to step up your optics game long before you even consider a new rifle. A good set of binos will be your most used asset in the field, and if a Diamondback is better than any you’ve used you’re missing a lot of animals or detail you never knew existed.
You're right. I haven't taken hunting as seriously as I should have. I didn't invest enough time sighting in my rifle, or really thinking about the process in general. In the last year, I made a commitment to take gun ownership and hunting seriously.

That being said, do you have any recommendations on a pair of binoculars?

Since you're the only person who can answer this question, just tie 2 lbs on your rifle around center mass and find out. It's not pike you have to be on a hunt. Just do it in your living room. Hold it up with and without the weight, set a timer for a couple minutes and see what you think.

This thread is turning comical if it wasn’t sad and dangerous

Glancing off bullets, using A SCOPE as an observation device, using a pistol to shoot a bear when you have a rifle.

Bfhog take a deep breath and slow down a minute. You only point ur rifle at shit you want to kill. It’s not amateur. It’s fuckin dangerous.

If you have even a medium level of competency and pick a bolt gun with a decent bolt stroke your ability to run a bolt gun will exceed your ability to ethically shoot animals. Deer and ‘roo cullers don’t use aR10’s for a reason. I’m sure hog guys do, but I don’t dabble in that

If you can’t point shoot a rifle at 10ft for whatever danger ur imagining, adding semi auto and it’s heavy bcg isn’t going to turn ya into Travis Haley.

Fact is bears (any animal for that matter) aren’t killed by ft lbs of energy. A 300 win mag with bonded bullets won’t reliably bang flop them. What ya need is to sever the CNS, or break its ability for locomotion. You have no option for that on a charge reliably. If you get ambushed in the alders ur going to get one shot. Maximum.

I haven’t a clue what scope ur running but a set of Japanese viper HD’s will be 100 times better then even the best rifle scope as an observation device. If only for the obvious Fov and depth of field alone.

As stated previously, 77gr tmk are plenty enough for most any critters you’ll ever encounter. Satisfactory results on moose, musk ox, caribou, black bear, grizz, mule deer, whitetail, chamois, Tahr, red deer, Sika, axis, fallow, antelope and hogs that i’ve Seen first hand or know of mates getting it done. Haven’t seen or heard of ironside bull elk being shot but I’m sure they won’t like one in the lungs either.

Either way you might want to ditch the idea of getting gear and get a set of skills instead
The bullet didn't glance off the deer. As I said, I missed the deer and the bullet tore off some hair. I originally used the word glance; that's obviously not what happened. So, not comical, just a poor choice of words.

I already have a bolt action .270. It's a fine gun, but I want a semi-automatic rifle to hunt with. And I disagree that I'd be able to get one shot maximum at a charging animal. Actually, you're just wrong. There isn't anything to disagree with, it's simply false that in every situation in which I'm threatened or attacked by an animal, I'd only ever be able to get one shot off. Hell, I've seen videos of animals charging hunters in the woods and them getting seven or eight shots off and dropping the animal. Was there a specific situation you were thinking of? Yeah sure, If I'm in thick brush and the bear comes out of nowhere, that's going to be tough. However, that situation doesn't encompass the totality of situations in which someone runs into danger in the woods.

Like I said in a previous post: I'm taking hunting and gun ownership seriously now. That's why I came on this forum, to ask some questions. I'll look up those binoculars, and thanks for the response.

Since you're the only person who can answer this question, just tie 2 lbs on your rifle around center mass and find out. It's not pike you have to be on a hunt. Just do it in your living room. Hold it up with and without the weight, set a timer for a couple minutes and see what you think.
I already did that. That's how I came to realize the gun I was buying was too heavy. I'm looking at the Wilson Combat Ultralight Hunter model chambered in a .308. It comes in at 7 lbs even.

Reactions: Praetorian_6
Meopta Meopro HD 10x42 would be a great choice for the money. Great optics and can be had for $500ish. Meostar would be even better, but a little over double the cost. Maven has had excellent reviews on their glass, and can be had for reasonable prices. You can find used Razor HD 10x42s for $600-700 if you look, and are awesome as well. Personally I run Razor HDs, but I wouldn’t pay new prices for them.

To all who have participated in this thread, thank you; it's been a shit few days and this really made me realize that, even when my life sucks, my life never really sucks.

In order of importance;
1. Stop pointing your fucking gun at things!
2. Sight your shit in before pointing a gun at things you intend to shoot, and stop pointing it at thing until you know you are gonna shoot.
3. You do not need a new gun, you need a zeroed rifle and a good set of binos.
4. Shooting is about time spent, not money spent, get to the range.
5. Actually maybe this should be number 2: when people that know lots more about a thing than you ask you questions, maybe take the questions seriously. And when they give constructive feedback, listen.

I've been a hunter probably longer than you have been alive; I can say with a high degree of confidence that literally everything you have told us so far about what you need and why is completely wrong. My recommendation, given the dumpster fire that is your first thread, is this: go to the fieldcraft forum (Sniper’s Hide Fieldcraft | Sniper's Hide Forum) and start reading. If you get to something not answered well, ask a question.

And take some of that wad of cash burning a hole in your pocket and get some professional instruction on marksmanship, the rifle you have now will either be good or a competent instructor can make recommendations. Don't buy a rifle based on what you think you need right now, it will be wrong.

Knowledgeable people here are trying to help you, including me, so take note. If you think we are all wrong and stupid, then carry on - we'll hear about you in the news shortly, I'd guess.

The bullet didn't glance off the deer. As I said, I missed the deer and the bullet tore off some hair. I originally used the word glance; that's obviously not what happened. So, not comical, just a poor choice of words.

I already have a bolt action .270. It's a fine gun, but I want a semi-automatic rifle to hunt with. And I disagree that I'd be able to get one shot maximum at a charging animal. Actually, you're just wrong. There isn't anything to disagree with, it's simply false that in every situation in which I'm threatened or attacked by an animal, I'd only ever be able to get one shot off. Hell, I've seen videos of animals charging hunters in the woods and them getting seven or eight shots off and dropping the animal. Was there a specific situation you were thinking of? Yeah sure, If I'm in thick brush and the bear comes out of nowhere, that's going to be tough. However, that situation doesn't encompass the totality of situations in which someone runs into danger in the woods.

Like I said in a previous post: I'm taking hunting and gun ownership seriously now. That's why I came on this forum, to ask some questions. I'll look up those binoculars, and thanks for the response.

Do you see why some here (including me) have a hard time taking you seriously?

giphy.gif

Reactions: CBDR
I live in grizzly country. As in I have at least three living on my property. During bow season I will take a 44 mag Ruger with me. During rifle season I feel perfectly comfortable with a 300 wsm holding 4 rounds. The only time I would feel undergunned is if I were gutting an elk and a griz walked up, but that has never happened, and I hunt with a partner, so it really isn't an issue. I find the ergos of a bolt rifle in a relatively traditional hunting stock better for stalking and climbing than I do a AR-10 or whatever.

Reactions: Aescobar17
You really think a semi auto ar10 is going to save you if this girl decides to jump?

If you say so.

This is 20 yards. She’d clear nearly 13 in a single bound.

96F3A2A4-937A-4D48-9EA3-9543199EAC2F.png

Anything beyond the low ready and ur gonna have problems.

How about bears?

Be honest, have you ever even been on a bear run? Prior to entering one, Ur literally sounding off a location beacon when you shoot a critter, and then ur a walking bait station on the pack out. To a an animal that can walk silently through brush, and run 30+ that is in hyperphasia.

Been part of 2 defensive shootings where the bear was taken by ADFG and 2 more where a tag was put on it. And know of plenty more.

You really think a semi auto ar10 is going to save you if this girl decides to jump?

If you say so.

This is 20 yards. She’d clear nearly 13 in a single bound.

View attachment 7544613

Anything beyond the low ready and ur gonna have problems.

How about bears?

Be honest, have you ever even been on a bear run? Prior to entering one, Ur literally sounding off a location beacon when you shoot a critter, and then ur a walking bait station on the pack out. To a an animal that can walk silently through brush, and run 30+ that is in hyperphasia.

Been part of 2 defensive shootings where the bear was taken by ADFG and 2 more where a tag was put on it. And know of plenty more.

Oh shit

And, by the time your eyes have parsed the lion from the clump of brown tree in the background, it has sprung...

Interesting and related tidbit. Human ears have evolved such that we hear sounds better when they are overhead. And, we are better able to identify location/direction of the sound when it is overhead as well. Scientists believe that this is an evolutionary adaptation to predation from large ambush predators- like the big cats.

Buy an ar-10 or whatever because you want one. Unless you are in real bear country or mountain lion country, everything is afraid of you and will run.

Hogs do not like humans either and I routinely walk into the brush with a bolt gun all the time and they always flush out and I shoot them. I'll be doing that exact thing Thursday Morning...... watch me get eaten up now that I've said that.

Reactions: BCP
Mountain lions don't want anything to do with people. I come across them all the time, and I never have an issue. They are also very easily killed with a small caliber. They aren't tough animals. That's not to say they aren't dangerous, because they are. But in general, they are more afraid of you. The calculus may be different in some areas like in CA where people have really changed the way the lions live.

Bears are a different story. Black bears are generally not a big deal, and I have put several away with a pistol. Mainly because they were nuisance bears and had acclimated to human life. Griz are terrifying. They don't give much of a shit about anything. If I am worried about one, I want a short 45-70 over anything else. That is generally what I keep in camp. It is hard for me to imagine choosing an AR-10 for that, but whatever floats your boat.

My wife hunts with an AR-10 in 6.5 Creed. She feels more comfortable shooting it over a bolt gun, and she does well with it. Choose what you want or like.

Black bears fvck with you a lot more then grizz on rivers in Alaska. I think their stature in the dominance hierarchy has a lot to do with it.

don’t see how a 45-70 is the shit for grizz. 9 footer shot with a 50 cal inline muzzleloader wound channel paled In comparison to say a 30-06 with trophy bonded bear claw through a similar sized bear.

This is getting sidetracked.

Glancing bullets is the name of my new band.

Black bears fvck with you a lot more then grizz on rivers in Alaska. I think their stature in the dominance hierarchy has a lot to do with it.

don’t see how a 45-70 is the shit for grizz. 9 footer shot with a 50 cal inline muzzleloader wound channel paled In comparison to say a 30-06 with trophy bonded bear claw through a similar sized bear.

This is getting sidetracked.

Glancing bullets is the name of my new band.
Yeah, here (Montana) the black bears are relatively docile in my experience. I know you are right about their behavior up in AK. Way more predatory behavior from blacks up theretoo.

Re 45-70, for me it is a combination of handiness of a small gun along with being used to it. Assuming the thing is within 30 yards of me, I'd just prefer open sights to a scope. If I am hunting griz, which you can't do here, I probably take my 338-06 or 35 Whelen improved, but it takes me longer to get on a shot with those than with a 12" lever gun.

Makes sense.

I carry a 3” 317 with some cci mini mags as bear defense.

Better to have something on ya 100% of the time that you have 10’s of thousands of round through then some boomer in a holster ya only have s few hundred through that sucks to shoot and will only allow a shot or two at best in a defensive shooting.

I’m pretty unworried about bears (and danger in the woods) in general. Seems like the more time ya get in the bush the more ya realize how mellow it is.

That said the first 6 months or so I was in New Zealand it was hard to turn off the instincts of being switched on when ur bushwhacking through a game trail near a river.

Then again spending plenty of time on the coast, especially in that general area where treadwell and his woman’s got eaten, it’s a hard thing to unlearn.

More likely to die of hypothermia or exposure then some imagined boogeyman critter. I’ll take good rain gear and a tent that won’t yardsail in 70+ over any bear protection if ya gotta choose.

Weren’t we yarnin about ar10’s And glancing bullets and shooting bucks that are might be does?

I have various bolt action and semi autos between 7 lbs to 15 lbs that I use for hunting. I find the best combo is something that balances well and can spot impacts. Your personal strength and width of shoulders determines where a rifle gets too heavy. A semi auto normally weighs more than a bolt and easier to mess up a shot. I like a semi auto for certain hunts like predators where multiple targets might present themselves at a stand. Also good for hogs. For like elk hunting though you only have one target a 8.5-13.5 lb bolt rifle setup is my preference depending on distance.
POF have some light ones....but since the owner died I'm circling for a while

I never understand this concept. Defense against what? I’m assuming bears..

In that case why would you shoot little handgun bullets when you have a mag full of rifle rounds?
1. Because, depending on where you are hunting, you may be held to 5 rds.
2. Animals are fast and they close distances quick and a hand gun is fast to maneuver in close quarters.

I have a dilemma. I want an all-purpose AR-10 as my designated hunting rifle, a rifle I can use for all types of hunting and game. My issue is that AR-10 rifles are heavy, with the lightest I've found being the 8.2 lb. Nemo Arms and CMMG's 8.25 lb. Resolute 300. With a decent scope, I'm looking at 9.5 pounds at least, if not closer to ten pounds. My current rifle is a Savage 270 win that comes in at 7.4 pounds. My question is: is the extra 2-2.5 pounds enough to cause me to have issues holding my gun up for long periods of time in the event I'm watching an animal in the optic? The last deer I killed took a few minutes to identify as a buck through my scope. I am willing to spend the six grand on a Nemo .308 and a decent scope, I just want some feedback from educated folks about gun weight. Thanks.
Buy a P.O.F. in 308. They weigh in about 7.5 lbs dry. Scope and mag extra. $2500 (or less if you can find one used) Quality rifle.

Yeah, here (Montana) the black bears are relatively docile in my experience. I know you are right about their behavior up in AK. Way more predatory behavior from blacks up theretoo.

Re 45-70, for me it is a combination of handiness of a small gun along with being used to it. Assuming the thing is within 30 yards of me, I'd just prefer open sights to a scope. If I am hunting griz, which you can't do here, I probably take my 338-06 or 35 Whelen improved, but it takes me longer to get on a shot with those than with a 12" lever gun.
+1 on 35 Whelen. I built a Mauser action rifle with a short Douglas barrel and peep sights to hunt bear and carry a S&W Mod 329 .44 Mag pistol.

Semi-autos are illegal for hunting in some places. Rifles in current military cartridges are not legal in some places. Get a reliable bolt action .30-06 and you can hunt everything there is in this world. Gunny Rancid Coolaid has words of wisdom. And learn to make do with what you have. Regards, David

I have a dilemma. I want an all-purpose AR-10 as my designated hunting rifle, a rifle I can use for all types of hunting and game. My issue is that AR-10 rifles are heavy, with the lightest I've found being the 8.2 lb. Nemo Arms and CMMG's 8.25 lb. Resolute 300. With a decent scope, I'm looking at 9.5 pounds at least, if not closer to ten pounds. My current rifle is a Savage 270 win that comes in at 7.4 pounds. My question is: is the extra 2-2.5 pounds enough to cause me to have issues holding my gun up for long periods of time in the event I'm watching an animal in the optic? The last deer I killed took a few minutes to identify as a buck through my scope. I am willing to spend the six grand on a Nemo .308 and a decent scope, I just want some feedback from educated folks about gun weight. Thanks.
2A armament makes a good one with 18" barrel that weighs 6.75 lbs without scope. I have two. They shoot great.
https://www.2a-arms.com/product-p/2a-xrc18sc15blk-1.htm

Reactions: Earnhardt
Look at the POF Revolution. Around 7.4 lbs, same as an AR15, insanely accurate. I think they are chambered in .308 and 6.5CM.

Mercy.
For hunting you don"t NEED an AR type rifle. If you want one, then by all means get one of adequate power for the intended game. Unless it is really, really big and or mean, then the aforementioned .223 with a TMK would be my suggestion. That and decent binos.
Best O' Luck

My sincere advice is to start to carry a hand held scope or a pair of binoculars. Keep your rifle on a sling until you need it. How to use a sling in different ways and how you can hook your arm into it and practice pays off big.

I can’t think of anything I wouldn’t stick with a 77gr tmk inside of 400

Moose don’t like em, grizz, ‘bou, mule deer, lopes don’t either.

18-20” 223 wylde Feed it Bh 77gr tmk in a good barrel that’s lighter in profile and go fill an ark.
People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper spray with self-grizz bit out chunks of fur containing 77gr copper plated lead deformed semi-precious metals that were deemed worthless. BTW, you've never hunted two (2) legged critters for a living, have you?

I want this rifle for all types of hunting. As far as semi-auto: I know the chances of coming into contact with a predator is very slim, and they usually don't engage, however I would prefer a semi auto as far as piece of mind and feeling safe in the woods (in certain, predator dense areas, not in the woods in general). And I don't want to have to rely on a stick or a bipod. I was mainly concerned about the effect that the extra 2-2.5 pounds would have on longer holds. If it's going to be an issue, I'll hold off and likely get a Proof bolt action. Some of their models are around 6 pounds (with no scope).

edit: also, I really like the AR platform.
Depends on if the predator is of the two legged or four legged type and if they travel in packs or not.

Take a look at roam rifles they make magnesium firearms that are really light and accurate.

Uh....are you expecting deer "in the wire" to over run your position??? Call me for overwatch. :) :) :) Why the need for semi-auto AR-10?? One shot; one deer. Well, you did say all types of hunting/game. ...maybe for hogs. AR-10 over gunned for yotes. Learn to run the bolt on a bolt action rifle for a rarely needed follow up shot. One of us is missing something......... But, if you insist, DPMS had an AR-10....GII as I recall.....that was AR10 in AR-15 sized platform pared down for about 7-8lbs. After rummaging through my NRA Convention catalogs from DPMS 2019 catalog: GII Compact Hunter 16"(60556)7.62 x51 - 6.9lbs. GII Hunter 20" (61599/60242/60243) 243/260Rem/7.62x51 7.76lbs. GII MOE 16" (60232) 7.62 7.25lbs. GII AP4 16" carbine (60220) 7.62x51 7.25lbs. GII Recon 16"(60222) 7.62x51 8.5lbs. and, last but lightest......GII AP4-OR 16" carbine (60224) 7.62x51 7.0lbs. Pricing $1100-$1500 MSRP 2019. Buy one of these. Send me the $4500+ you save over the NEMO. And, yes, DPMS will shoot well, be reliable when maintained as any AR likes. I upgrade the trigger.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
Just skimmed so I may have missed it, but why not build something? I get the impression you're not gonna be completely happy with anything off the shelf anyway.

If a lightweight ar10 is the goal, you can build a very accurate, very light one for less than the nemo. You could have a smith build one for less than the nemo.

I've seen guys with ar10's in the 4 lb range. That's obviously a little extreme, but 7 or 8 lbs with glass isn't out of line.
Please point me toward a 4lb AR-10 platform, even an AR-15. Thank you!!!
Don't need a smith to build an AR for you. They are the Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, Legos of the gun world.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
I second F4 Defense. The ultralight comes in under 6lbs, the others come in under 7lbs. Have a great selection of cartridges. And the best part, it's a factory gun with a "sub half MOA" guarantee from the factory, pretty unreal for a gas gun.

I have a dilemma. I want an all-purpose AR-10 as my designated hunting rifle, a rifle I can use for all types of hunting and game. My issue is that AR-10 rifles are heavy, with the lightest I've found being the 8.2 lb. Nemo Arms and CMMG's 8.25 lb. Resolute 300. With a decent scope, I'm looking at 9.5 pounds at least, if not closer to ten pounds. My current rifle is a Savage 270 win that comes in at 7.4 pounds. My question is: is the extra 2-2.5 pounds enough to cause me to have issues holding my gun up for long periods of time in the event I'm watching an animal in the optic? The last deer I killed took a few minutes to identify as a buck through my scope. I am willing to spend the six grand on a Nemo .308 and a decent scope, I just want some feedback from educated folks about gun

how long of shots do you plan to make with your rifle? If it’s just a hunting rifle and you plan to shoot no farther than 250-300 why not consider an AR15 chambered in something like a 6.5 Grendel? That’s a fantastic round for deer I use it for coyotes in a Bolt action. Plus you’d be saving a ton of weight in the rifle and the ammo.
If you really want to stick with the AR10 platform why not consider a smaller round in the 10? Maybe a 6mm creedmoor ultimately a suped up 243 win.
Or if you wanted a semi auto and don’t plan on shooting too crazy far and want big knockdown power just get an AK plus an AK with a 10 round mag and Polly furniture is weighing right in the same ballpark that your .270 is weighing.

One thing to consider is most hunter walk with an empty chamber until the shot opportunity presents itself. For bolt action you can quietly chamber a round when you see an animal. AR platform not so much, so you'll have to always be aware of your muzzle direction.

I had my semi-auto safety accidentally flipped while I was going through difficult terrain, so I prefer walking with an empty chamber.

Everyone seems to be concerned about toting around that 12 pound gun. For me the issue is dragging that 200 pound buck (or even bigger Elk) back OUT of the woods after shooting it.

Now if your quarry are squirrels and rabbits, you have a hugely valid point.

@addertooth Wanna know how I know you don’t hunt- or hunt much?

Very few animals are dropped outside of easy retrieval range of a pickup, atv, utv, horse, llama, etc. And of those that must be packed, they are almost all packed to a pick up location. There are exceedingly few of us masochists that choose a hike-in hike-out hunt without an outfitter. Even then, you’re going to put a lot more miles on your boots without an animal to carry than you will with one. And, even if you do get one, you still have to carry that rifle. Give me the choice between a 12 lb rifle + elk and a 7 lb rifle + elk and I’ll choose the lighter rifle 11 times out of 10.

Hell, between shelter, water, food, and first aid, a rifle is the most worthless thing you can pack in on a multi-day hunting trip. A rifle is used once; everything else is used constantly. While you can choose to leave most of your gear at camp when you go out, you must carry that nearly useless lump of wood/plastic/Al/steel every step. You can’t drink it, you can’t eat it, it doesn’t keep you warm, and it doesn’t get lighter as the trip goes on. But, you gotta carry it. There is weight that you must carry and weight that you choose to carry. You must carry out that elk. You better carry a first aid kit. Shelter (tent, clothes, sleeping gear, etc) must be carried in and out but you can choose what you carry while hunting- you can probably leave the tent and bag at camp. You don’t need 5 days of food when you head out of camp, and by day 5 it is pretty much gone. Water can generally be replenished at a stream with the aid of a filter, so you can refill as you go (check you locale before assuming water is available). But that rifle, it’s there when you leave the truck, you can’t leave it in camp, and it isn’t expended and replenished as necessary. It’s just there, doing nothing useful, just dragging you- inexorably- toward the earth. Light is right and lighter is tighter. Ounces add to pounds and pounds add to pain. Be smart with the weight you choose to carry, and know the difference between a choice and a necessity.

I believe we are talking about a difference in style, as versus right or wrong. When I started hunting in the 60s with my father and grandfather, we would go deep in, hunt, and pack out. We loathed the sight/sound of loud hunters, as they spooked the game for a mile around; it meant we would have to trek in further to get away from the disruption they caused.

Reactions: Earnhardt
I believe we are talking about a difference in style, as versus right or wrong. When I started hunting in the 60s with my father and grandfather, we would go deep in, hunt, and pack out. We loathed the sight/sound of loud hunters, as they spooked the game for a mile around; it meant we would have to trek in further to get away from the disruption they caused.
We still hunt that way. Sometimes we bring our mules in for the pack out.

Thanks for the response! I'm not familiar with LaRue; I looked them up a long time ago but I wasn't aware they had an AR-10 that weighs under 8 lbs. I'll consider them as a possibility. I basically want an all-purpose hunting rifle for all types of game and hunting situations, i.e. in a blind, spot and stalk, etc. If I can get an AR-10 at just under 8 lbs. and a scope just above a pound, that'll put me just over 9 lbs.
Check out the LaRue PredatAR in 7.62X51 I have a Vortex Viper 2.5X10 on it, never weighed mine by it doesn't seem an heavier than my M4 clone without an optic.

I've been where you are. I own an ADC company and sometimes need to take down multiple animals and/or am working in high risk areas (border cattle ranchers) where two legged coyotes can be armed with AKs. When calling in predators binos are not the best option, your scope is however, NOT FOR DEER HUNTING in most situations. I always carry lightweight collapsible shooting sticks, ideal for many hunting applications. Mine are tall for shooting in sitting or standing positions cuz sometimes you need that for vegetation. Your best solution is a custom build if you really wanna cut weight. it can be done but it'll cost ya some coin. Here's my (CA compliant) solution.

ar10-3.jpg

ar10-2.jpg

Literally no expense was spared in an attempt to make this AR-10 (.308 Winchester) both as ultra-light as possible but also to ensure complete reliability. No cheesy plastic triggers or undependable buffer systems - just the best of everything.

Starting with a Xanthos-Lite receiver set from 2A Arms, the build includes an 18" fluted carbon-wrapped barrel from BSF, a titanium adjustable BCG from 2A Arms, 12" Smoke Composites hand guard, Smoke Composites closed butt stock "enhanced" with Limbsaver pad, Smoke Composites cheek piece riser, M-Lok finger stop with QD swivel connection on hand guard and M-Lok QD connect on butt, and includes both a Smoke Composites ultra-light pistol grip and the California compliant grip. Single stage AR-10 competition trigger from Timney is the go switch. Hollow Ti pins from 2A Arms, V Seven weapon systems- TI pins, castle nut, Light weight Bolt catch, ultralite Mag catch, light weight selector, and two Lancer 10-round mags round out the build. Tested with Barnes 150-grain TTSX ammo and BCG adjusted to run like a sewing machine. As it sits right now it weighs 5# 15.8 ounces. I could have had it about 10 ounces lighter but that would have required no cheek piece riser (how can you achieve cheek weld without one?), an open un-padded butt stock and a less-dependable buffer system. Another 1.4 ounces could have been saved by using a 16" pencil profile barrel instead of the 18" BSF large diameter carbon-wrapped barrel, and finally another 2 ounces could have been saved by using a different shorter and slightly lighter but less operationally friendly hand guard. So it's possible to have the bare weight down to around 5#, but the add-ons on this rifle were a good tradeoff in my opinion.

Good luck in your project.

hlee...loved that hog video, made my day!
8085312660_c262feab92_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: