• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmith screwed up my trigger?

Jthoss0837

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Greenville, South Carolina
I had my gunsmith tune my trigger to 2.5 pounds recently. Stock Remington X-Mark pro trigger in the remington 700 SPS-V .308

Ive noticed a few times that, upon closing the bolt with the safety off the gun would, in a sense, fire. I.E. The firing pin would return to its state of rest.

I didnt think too much of it at the time, but i was shooting this morning, and had an Accidental Discharge. I was shooting at 300yds, reloaded, and the gun went off upon closing the bolt. Safely pointed down range, no safety issues etc. Still made me scratch my head. So now the safety goes on everytime i cycle the bolt. Ive never had this problem before, it seems as though this shouldnt even be a concern. Ive been messing with it for a while and noticed the trigger has a little play in the fire position. And it seems to get stuck back. When i close the bolt its like im holding the trigger and closing it. The gun is still new, less than 300 rounds down through the tube so i dont think its a cleanliness issue. Any ideas? should i call up the smith and get him to fix this?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IXPxNRYlwCs"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IXPxNRYlwCs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Gunsmith screwed up my trigger?

It needs to be fixed.

I would get anold style trigger and adjust it myself.

It is set too lightly. Try (unloaded) cycling it muzzle down. It should stay cocked. I had several set too lightly with the same symptom. The trigger sear is not engaged enough to be reliable or safe. The earlier triggers are more reliable if adjusted down properly or go aftermarket if you want a better trigger.

Like mnshortdraw said, the sear engagement is not enough.

its fixable, but that is a great excuse to get a new trigger

I agree it is set to light, the newer stock Remmy Triggers even with the external adj. are set at 3.5 lbs. If its an older X Mark Pro, I am not sure what those are, but I had a SPS Varmit and it was heavy. If you want a lighter trigger pull, have him jewel the internals and set it at 3.5 with no creep and and blue locktite the set screws, or I would reccomend an aftermarket trigger so you get the desired affect and still be safe and not possibly damage the gun or you. See if any of our vendors here sell them if not, look up the Midway USA codes that LowLight puts up for us and order one from them.