• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Gunsmith to cut down, re-crown, and thread barrel

Texas_Archer

Long-time Lurker
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2009
Houston, TX
Can anyone recommend a competent gunsmith I can send my Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine to? I want the barrel cut down to 16.1", crowned, and threaded (and possible turned down) for a AAC Scar-H SD suppressor.

I would send it to ADCO but I do not want to take the gun completely apart before sending it to them.

Re: Gunsmith to cut down, re-crown, and thread barrel

Another satisfied Hooper customer here. Great work and fast turnaround.

the gunsmith will likey take your barrel out anyway to thread it or at least they will strip the reciever to do it if we did it we would be removing the barrel so if you have the tools remove the barrel and just post it as it is easier to ship then aswell as long as you have the headspace guages to reasemble it if not you will be best shipping the barreled action and bolt without the trigger. If people here have had luck with a certain smith then go with them.

Mark Gordon @ shortactioncustoms.com
He does great work.

Honestly, Im looking for someone I can send the whole damn gun to. I do not have a good torque wrench to make sure I put it back together at the right poundage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the gunsmith will likey take your barrel out anyway to thread it or at least they will strip the reciever to do it if we did it we would be removing the barrel so if you have the tools remove the barrel and just post it as it is easier to ship then aswell as long as you have the headspace guages to reasemble it if not you will be best shipping the barreled action and bolt without the trigger. If people here have had luck with a certain smith then go with them.

</div></div>

If we knew where you were located, that might help to find you a good 'smith in your local area.

If you're in the DFW area, send a PM to 737Shark. Excellent work while you wait. Barrels threaded in 30 minutes or it's free!* And a hell of a nice guy as well.

*Not really. If you believe that, punch yourself in the face.
smile.gif

Houston, TX

Ive been using Precision Barrel Works and he does awesome work. But since this will probably have to be turned down so much to fit the SCAR-H mount I wanted someone who has done it before with great results.

Texas Archer,
Take your base, rings (leave the scope in the rings) and bolt off/out of the gun and remove from the stock and send the barreled action to Rett at Hooper Ordnance with what length and thread you want you will not be disappointed. Good turn around time and quality work. He did a cut and thread for me and did a real nice job with a thread protector in the same profile as a Marine Coprs recessed crown. When your rifle comes back let me know and we can meet to torque it all back in, or run by Home depot and pick up one of there in/lbs torque wrench then you will have one. I have checked mine against high end torque wrenches and it was right on. Let me know what you do. Good luck

Danel

Check with wnroscoe here on the hide...He is out of west LA. LA Precision Don'tknow if he works on Savages, but I know he can thread for a supressor.

Heard a lot of good things about Hooper as well.

Which in/lbs torque wrench did you find at Lowes? Ive been looking for a good one for awhile. Ive been using a Wheeler Fat Wrench but do not have 100% faith is how accurate it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platypus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Texas Archer,
Take your base, rings (leave the scope in the rings) and bolt off/out of the gun and remove from the stock and send the barreled action to Rett at Hooper Ordnance with what length and thread you want you will not be disappointed. Good turn around time and quality work. He did a cut and thread for me and did a real nice job with a thread protector in the same profile as a Marine Coprs recessed crown. When your rifle comes back let me know and we can meet to torque it all back in, or run by Home depot and pick up one of there in/lbs torque wrench then you will have one. I have checked mine against high end torque wrenches and it was right on. Let me know what you do. Good luck

Danel </div></div>

SCAR_H.jpg

That is essentially what Im going to need as the SCAR Miter mount as the mount slides over about ~2-4 inches of barrel and then screws in.

That top pic looks like a profile for an OpsInc 3rd. Your adaptor should have some installation instructions...probably a sheet with measurements. Be sure to include that sheet with your adaptor when you send the package off.

When I had 737Shark thread my barrel, I brought him the whole rifle. He pulled the barreled action out of the stock, then removed the rings from the base (scope stayed in the rings) and left the base installed on the action.

If I were going to send it off to have the barrel threaded, I'd pull the bolt, base, rings, scope, and stock. This'll save on shipping and keeping your parts where you know they are. Even the best of people make mistakes, and if you strip it all down prior to shipment, then it can't get misplaced at the 'smith.

When you go to reassemble the rifle, you should just need some small torques...probably between 15 and 80 inch pounds as a range for the entire assembly. Hit up Sears for an inexpensive, repeatable tool.

Thanks for the kind words folks. I try and do the best I can every time.

There are others here who can do them too and are site sponsors/vendors as well. If you do not choose me please choose one of them at least.

I will take barreled actions or the whole rifle. I do not remove the barrel from the action when threading these. My lathe's spindle bore is large and short enough to do them that way.

I have the AAC thread specs for their mounts and can profile the barrel to spec. If I am not mistaken the mount pictured shoulders on the muzzle. I have done those many times with great results and it seems to be a solid mount.

Thanks for the business.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the kind words folks. I try and do the best I can every time.

There are others here who can do them too and are site sponsors/vendors as well. If you do not choose me please choose one of them at least.

I will take barreled actions or the whole rifle. <span style="font-weight: bold">I do not remove the barrel from the action when threading these. My lathe's spindle bore is large and short enough to do them that way.</span>

I have the AAC thread specs for their mounts and can profile the barrel to spec. If I am not mistaken the mount pictured shoulders on the muzzle. I have done those many times with great results and it seems to be a solid mount.

Thanks for the business. </div></div>

I thought you had to remove the barrel from the action to insure that the threading was concentric to the bore.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas_Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the kind words folks. I try and do the best I can every time.

I will take barreled actions or the whole rifle. <span style="font-weight: bold">I do not remove the barrel from the action when threading these. My lathe's spindle bore is large and short enough to do them that way.</span>

Thanks for the business. </div></div>

I thought you had to remove the barrel from the action to insure that the threading was concentric to the bore.
</div></div>

No Sir, check this out. A Savage would be done the same way:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/user/midstatemachinery#p/c/B09A8F3FF4F16F1B/0/74uOaOOlycI[/video]

I am not the only one who does them this way. This is the way you would also chamber a barrel. This is the best way i have found to most accurately perform this task. Please forgive the novice video.

what type crown would you guys recommend for this type project?

Hooper, have you considered adding the Nesika bolt release installation to the menu? GAP did a couple of 700s for me in the past and I really liked having the Remingtons similar in operation to my Surgeon and BAT custom actions.

The reason I ask is that I have a 40X HB 22LR that requires the following:

1) Cut, thread, recrown, and thread protector for the barrel
2) Badger Bolt Knob installed
3) Nesika Bolt release installed
4) Cerakote,GunKote, or Black T all metal.

You've done one bolt knob installation for me and I was very pleased with your work. I realize that GAP could do all of the above when he again accepts "partial" builds, but I think that you could do a superb job as well.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this.

i got a really decent quote from wnroscoe at la precision for the same work. not sure about the wait, but from examples here on the site the work is top quality

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAT_Boy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hooper, have you considered adding the Nesika bolt release installation to the menu? GAP did a couple of 700s for me in the past and I really liked having the Remingtons similar in operation to my Surgeon and BAT custom actions.

The reason I ask is that I have a 40X HB 22LR that requires the following:

1) Cut, thread, recrown, and thread protector for the barrel
2) Badger Bolt Knob installed
3) Nesika Bolt release installed
4) Cerakote,GunKote, or Black T all metal.

You've done one bolt knob installation for me and I was very pleased with your work. I realize that GAP could do all of the above when he again accepts "partial" builds, but I think that you could do a superb job as well.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this. </div></div>

It may be a while on adding new services to the menu. I have some projects right now that are taking me some time to work out. I would need to build a jig for it and having the spare time does not look good.

Thanks for looking to me though. I can do the other stuff you list there.

Hey Texas, did you get the rifle put back together? Do you have any pics of it with the barrel cut down?