• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Gunsmiths in NC, SC, Eastern TN, GA???

Steve.S

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2020
I have inherited a fair-sized firearm collection and need to have some work done, for both pistols and rifles. As such, I'm looking to find an appropriate honest gunsmith in my region who is known to do stellar quality work, and is hopefully known for his integrity. This is perhaps a tall order these days. This region will include the western two thirds of NC, Upstate SC, eastern TN, and the northern top half of GA. I do not mind traveling or shipping for the right person.

Note that I know about Matt McCarnan in Greer, but he is no longer doing repair work. I have also heard that David Tooley no longer does pistol work.

This post is sort of a redo of another post from 4 years ago by another member. Many of those recommended in the old post are no longer in business.

All recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

If anyone prefers to PM their recommendation, that is perfectly fine too.

I know it's a bit far south but look up John Powers of Powers Metal Works in Duson Louisiana. He is a master gunmaker and does all my finishing work for my engraving projects. The man can build a gun from scratch and there's very little else he cannot handle from refinishing actions to making barrels and finishing including true color case hardening to charcoal blue.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and PMs. there are definitely some winners here.