• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K-Bars Half-Face Blades enthusiasts thread

This sure did not hurt!
B382F33A-5F54-4C9F-AC96-6FEF6127E72E.jpeg

and I agree that not only is his stuff getting better, he has a magic eye for capturing proportion, shape, colors...

When R.J. Mitchell designed the Spitfire in the late 1930s, he simply sketched what he instinctively knew was a almost perfect shape and design for an airframe. That was functional in its beauty.

Andy has the same knack. Understanding that functional and beautiful are often the same thing.

Got some time to kill? This is a video of my buddy Ed Parry of Blackhart Longrifles. He has built me 3 rifles and restored two more and is about to start a 4th, a Hall Rifle.

This video is Ed giving his talk on The Golden Mean, while a bit low on the cinematography side, is brilliant in its content. And shows how guys like Andy get things right seemingly by instinct? Or maybe by science?

Ed is retired Navy Submarine NCO. Built his first rifle on a cruise.

An amazing craftsman and a great guy!

Cheers, Sirhr

• Love
Reactions: Zorrosdens
There are still spikes on the site. Which is amazing. Because this is the first time ever that spikes have not sold out in under 5 minutes. So if you want one... grab!!! I have several of these, stashed everywhere. They are very useful little pieces of kit.

And some amazing Crow blades are up.

I may have to order one of their OD Crow's.

Because another knife is about as important in my life as a Lear Jet for a Kitten. But that is no reason not to have another HFB!

Cheers,

Sirhr

How do they compare to Daniel Winkler? I understand he's the bladesmith for seals or team six or some shit like that now? He certainly makes some nice stuff and his tomahawks are peerless.

Two different design philosophies, but both are makers at the top of their craft. HFB's real genius is the handle work, getting all those different materials together into a seamless construction that is still strong and can take abuse yet look like that. Winkler's stuff is far more pragmatic, handle choices are going to be micarta, wood and rubber, but no joinery there, it's one or the other. I own stuff from both of them, can't go wrong with either.

Two different design philosophies, but both are makers at the top of their craft. HFB's real genius is the handle work, getting all those different materials together into a seamless construction that is still strong and can take abuse yet look like that. Winkler's stuff is far more pragmatic, handle choices are going to be micarta, wood and rubber, but no joinery there, it's one or the other. I own stuff from both of them, can't go wrong with either.

And I believe that while competitors, they are both friends!

Smitty for Resco Watches is part of that crew as well and is starting to make some knives. Very tight community and they know there are plenty of customers for tier-one blades!

Off to look at Senator blades... those red handled ones are calling my name....

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: Strykervet

Decided it was time to make an addition to the family....just one?....for now.

Gotta note...I’m even more envious of these newer Gulo-Gulo’s handle work, nice improvement (few more bucks, but well worth that). Isn’t that how it always goes...still happy with the knife I have though ?.

Reactions: MarinePMI
Dude!!
That is amazing to live close enough to pick up in person.

I may have to try the same.

Maybe I will suggest a Resco and a HFB as a wedding present and pick them up in person on a little trip.......
New wife, new knife....... good ring to it!!

We have to travel from Denver, but we got engaged there, so we will return for romance and relaxation sake.

I'm torn between a trident dagger and a gulo gulo as an EDC self defense blade. Roughly the same size but obviously different blade and handle profiles. The dagger would be a slimmer package but the gulo gulo might do just as well and offer more control with the grip shape.

Had to get this as soon as I saw it, great handle treatment. Getting it for my Brother, he and his mate prepare fantastic meals about everyday it seems. It’s one of the joys of visits there (like eating at a fine restaurant but Family and old Savannah House charm). Figuring out what containment vestment to maybe have Andrew make. Kinda’ weird that I can sit and agonize, scrutinize everything and think on this knife/that knife, this look/that look, how much money, can’t afford it/actually could if I just close my brains and buy one, usually I have to be pragmatic and hold. This was an immediate “better jump on that puppy before it’s snagged away” from my clutches. It’s mine, soon to be his, after I talk with Mike, I’ll decide about a sheath or not. Early Christmas to him.
635AEE24-3D24-47CD-B1A8-71A5A1BB3460.png
EB1A1803-4688-4E7D-88B0-D8FA7C43FFC9.png
956DC233-B328-4443-AC62-E6494B0A02D5.png
CBF1B170-9CA3-4740-8C4B-44B5AC9D6D8F.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 502Chevelle
Hmmm...I wonder if my knife is getting close to being done. The handles on that paring knife is similar to what I requested on my skinner...
I gotta see that when you get it. This look is really great. He keeps upping the game. Lol, prices commensurate with it, but makes me smile to see artistry growing. ?

Reactions: Lapuapalooza
Indeed. As it turns out, I decided to run down today (they're literally 15 mins down the road) and pick it up.

It was at this point that Andy and Kelsie let the cat out of the bag, that a few of you donated to cover the cost of this knife as a "Get well" gift from my recent brain surgery/tumor removal. I was quite shocked (FYI: When I get deadpanned, it's usually a sign I'm shocked. I cringe to think what the photo that Kelsie took looks like).

At any rate, I'm very happy with the blade, and Andy took me around the shop to show me some of the inner workings. It was impressive. The sheer variety of handle material, type of knives, hatchets, spikes...hell, even short swords, was amazing.

I am humbled and to all of you that contributed; I don't know what to say, except "Thank you." This blade will certainly have some sentimental value to me.

At any rate, enough of my bumbling words and inarticulate phrases..a few photos to share...(BTW, it came out exactly as I wanted; simple, subtle and elegant, with a bit of pop in color).

Thanks again guys...

HFB Shop_2019.jpg

HFB Skinner1.jpg

HFB Skinner2.jpg

Indeed. As it turns out, I decided to run down today (they're literally 15 mins down the road) and pick it up.

It was at this point that Andy and Kelsie let the cat out of the bag, that a few of you donated to cover the cost of this knife as a "Get well" gift from my recent brain surgery/tumor removal. I was quite shocked (FYI: When I get deadpanned, it's usually a sign I'm shocked. I cringe to think what the photo that Kelsie took looks like).

At any rate, I'm very happy with the blade, and Andy took me around the shop to show me some of the inner workings. It was impressive. The sheer variety of handle material, type of knives, hatchets, spikes...hell, even short swords, was amazing.

I am humbled and to all of you that contributed; I don't know what to say, except "Thank you." This blade will certainly have some sentimental value to me.

At any rate, enough of my bumbling words and inarticulate phrases..a few photos to share...(BTW, it came out exactly as I wanted; simple, subtle and elegant, with a bit of pop in color).

Thanks again guys...

View attachment 7179801
View attachment 7179802
View attachment 7179803
Very well played guys, a thing of beauty.

Sweet, We have been waiting for a good bit for this!! Glad you scooped it today Brother!!
Enjoy it,and pour one out for Me ;)
PS... @1J04 still waiting on his Manners..lol!!!

1573259807843.png

Tim posted this picture earlier on the Resco Loyals site with the statement "Yeah, time, steel and spirit. That’s what it takes to overcome life’s little speed bumps. Cheers loyals! Have a great Veteran’s Day weekend, and let’s not forget our brothers (and sisters) who aren’t with us to enjoy our freedom. "

I could not have said it better (or with more grace and class....) than that!

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS. Based on the bottle above... I suspect that we have not wasted our investment in that surprise bottle we bought him! Appropriate, because, as the saying goes, "a bottle in front of me is better than a frontal lobotomy!"

If anyone is interested... HFB is doing a limited run of 49 'Gen One" knives. It will be their first, original blade pattern. And their first, original logo. Serial numbers 51 - 100. Many (most???) are taken.

But these are going to be really gorgeous blades. I got number 77. Other numbers are available above and below this.

If you are interested, e-Mail the mothership.

Here is the text from Andy on his FB page:

"Ok so I want to put this out to you guys first. I’m doing run of 49 series one blades! 51-100 numbered limited edition. 51 is taken, I’ll have 3 tiers of pricing and you choose what you want for handles. Please email if you are interested and what you want for handle/grip etc, and of course what number you wish! [email protected], this is coming to you because I love you guys! Then I’ll let public know. Hey you’re emails in as soon as possible. Thanks guys!"

Cheers,

Sirhr

They may be gone then... I didn’t know it closed as it popped back up on Fakebook... so I figured it was still alive. I ordered mine the day it was announced... about two weeks ago.

Sorry if I got anyone’s hopes up!

Cheers, Sirhr

You certainly got mine up! I sent another email anyway just in case. If you ever decide you can let go of yours, or know where another is, please let me know.

If anyone is interested... HFB is doing a limited run of 49 'Gen One" knives. It will be their first, original blade pattern. And their first, original logo. Serial numbers 51 - 100. Many (most???) are taken.

But these are going to be really gorgeous blades. I got number 77. Other numbers are available above and below this.

If you are interested, e-Mail the mothership.

Here is the text from Andy on his FB page:

"Ok so I want to put this out to you guys first. I’m doing run of 49 series one blades! 51-100 numbered limited edition. 51 is taken, I’ll have 3 tiers of pricing and you choose what you want for handles. Please email if you are interested and what you want for handle/grip etc, and of course what number you wish! [email protected], this is coming to you because I love you guys! Then I’ll let public know. Hey you’re emails in as soon as possible. Thanks guys!"

Cheers,

Sirhr
Mothership called yesterday.... it’s done and in the way!!

Sirhr