• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Handguns...show 'em

1911.jpg

Get the Apex Tactical Comp trigger with the mag safety delete. Worth every penny. 👍🏼

How does it compare to Volquartson though? Feel like Volquartson has been in the 22 game forever. Seems the trigger pull on the Apex is 3lbs vs 2.25 on the Volquartson. Not sure that is a big deal.

And the T1 is getting taken off next week when my Lobos Ind mount arrives for my RMR.

I'd like to try out a set of those VZ grips as well.

How does it compare to Volquartson though? Feel like Volquartson has been in the 22 game forever. Seems the trigger pull on the Apex is 3lbs vs 2.25 on the Volquartson. Not sure that is a big deal.

And the T1 is getting taken off next week when my Lobos Ind mount arrives for my RMR.

I'd like to try out a set of those VZ grips as well.
Haven't pulled the Volquartsen in a 22/45 that I'm aware of, so no idea. Does the Volquartsen come with a magazine safety delete? 2.25 would be nice, and I've thought about seeing if Apex will start offering some lighter springs for their kit. I would like to get it around the 2-2.5 lbs. range. But at 3, it's still not bad at all. And for sure a huge upgrade over factory. I also like the flat face. Their machining on their trigger feels ultra-smooth, and quality.

Reactions: 30calDeath
Does the Volquartsen come with a magazine safety delete?

Yes.
I use the Volquartsen triggers in mine and they are excellent. Definitely recommend. They offer a few other worthy upgrades to these pistols too, like a threaded guide rod to accommodate lighter springs for subs, and some little rubbery buttons to remove any looseness in the upper/lower lockup.

I did a thing. Since we were talking about shorty .22 hosts earlier, figured I'd show it off. It does handle nicely, and is only a little longer than the standard 5" bull barrel but way lighter.

The forward mounted red dot points nicely too, much easier to acquire the dot than a rear mount. I may come up with a lower profile mount later, and put a filler in the dovetail too.

Wy5wlmfh.jpg

i1TkABth.jpg

It's kinda dumb looking without the can, but I'd never have reason to use it that way. I've got several of these uppers and they swap back and forth so easy, this one is dedicated for suppressed use only.

D0yfJDrl.jpg

I added a stainless ring over the tiny bit of remaining barrel to make the barrel and receiver OD consistent with the suppressor. I figured there'd be an obvious joint anyway, might as well make it look good. It protrudes a little past the barrel shoulder because the suppressor thread insert has the same amount of protrusion, so this hides the gap.

rtzNakwl.jpg

Last edited:
Yes.
I use the Volquartsen triggers in mine and they are excellent. Definitely recommend. They offer a few other worthy upgrades to these pistols too, like a threaded guide rod to accommodate lighter springs for subs, and some little rubbery buttons to remove any looseness in the upper/lower lockup.
I would love to get a lighter spring in the guide rod to be able to reliably cycle the CCI 710 FPS subs for true "hollywood quiet".

I would love to get a lighter spring in the guide rod to be able to reliably cycle the CCI 710 FPS subs for true "hollywood quiet".
You have an issue with the Mask loosening up? What can I put on the threads to keep the can on tight till I need to take off to clean? What color Loctite would I use?

You have an issue with the Mask loosening up? What can I put on the threads to keep the can on tight till I need to take off to clean? What color Loctite would I use?
I've never had that issue with my Mask on any of my guns...Rifles or pistols. Are you giving it a bit of torque (by hand) against the shoulder when you're putting it on the gun? Once I get it tight, I'll back it off about 1/8 turn, then I tighten it back down and give it a bit of quick torque against the shoulder to ensure it's on there tight. I do this with my rifles, as well. Never had any of them come loose... 🤔

I wouldn't use Loctite at all, I wouldn't use Rocksett either, since you want to be able to remove it later. But I have heard that you can use a wrap or 2 of teflon tape, but I've never tried it myself...So...Can't fully recommend it 100%. I'd check with Dead Air or Silencer Shop to find out what they recommend.

If it's just excessively loose (has lots of thread play) when you're screwing on the can, and your Mask doesn't have that issue on your rifles, then I'd try a different can, to see if the threads were accidentally cut undersized at the Ruger factory. If so, then that would be on Silencer Shop to help you get that rectified with the manufacturer. But if your Mask is doing that on multiple guns, then I'd contact Dead Air about the Mask mount being cut slightly oversized.

Volquartsen sells a lighter spring, but it isn't light enough to cycle those. You can cut it down further, but I'm not sure you can get there with a recoil spring alone. At minimum you'd need a lighter hammer spring too, which you might have if you've done a good trigger job. I suspect you'd need to lighten the bolt as well, and keep it as a dedicated bolt for just that ammo. Volquartsen was selling take-off bolts, upgraded with their extractor and springs, for $55 not long ago; should be cheap enough to sacrifice one for science. FYI it should be hardened steel so you'll need carbide to drill or mill it.

I did something similar with a Marlin semi-auto rifle for really light Aquila loads that were around about 20 years ago. It still shoots normal subs fine as well, but with lighter springs (recoil and hammer) and a bunch of holes drilled in the bolt for weight reduction, it's reliable with the really quiet light loads too.

Reactions: FuhQ
Volquartsen sells a lighter spring, but it isn't light enough to cycle those. You can cut it down further, but I'm not sure you can get there with a recoil spring alone. At minimum you'd need a lighter hammer spring too, which you might have if you've done a good trigger job. I suspect you'd need to lighten the bolt as well, and keep it as a dedicated bolt for just that ammo. Volquartsen was selling take-off bolts, upgraded with their extractor and springs, for $55 not long ago; should be cheap enough to sacrifice one for science. FYI it should be hardened steel so you'll need carbide to drill or mill it.

I did something similar with a Marlin semi-auto rifle for really light Aquila loads that were around about 20 years ago. It still shoots normal subs fine as well, but with lighter springs (recoil and hammer) and a bunch of holes drilled in the bolt for weight reduction, it's reliable with the really quiet light loads too.
I might just let you experiment with one of the $55 VQ bolts, and I'll just buy a modified bolt from you, since I don't have a Bridgeport handy. 😂👍🏼

Volquartsen Black Mamba: Zeroing targets at 25 yards.

IMG_3970.jpg

Split playing cards at 5 yards, standing two hands. Not gonna lie it took me about 3-4 shots per card.

IMG_3967.jpg

Steel targets at 50 yards. Shots were low due to poor lighting. That's my best excuse and I'm sticking to it.

IMG_3979.jpg

This Bul Armory SAS II TAC 4.25” came in today. It’s just as nice as my other Bul Commander length 1911. Very smooth action right out of the box. Smoother than the Prodigy for sure. Still not unhappy with the Prodigy yet, I just don’t think I need to do anything after cleaning and oiling this Bul. Looking forward to a trip to the range.

View attachment 8144739View attachment 8144740View attachment 8144741View attachment 8144742View attachment 8144743
If I ever get a 2011, this is going to be it.

They sell out really fast. I had an email notification setup through the Bul Armory online store and ordered it about 2 minutes after I got the notification. They were sold out in less than half an hour after that.

New video is up of the TBAC 22 Takedown can on the new Ruger MK-IV SSH, shooting 8" gongs at 100 yards... This thing is hollywood quiet...And accurate!

Reactions: Potsy
I can say that I’m very happy with my purchase of the Military Armament Corp. JSOC 1911. It performed beyond my expectations. Fired 9 different type of Ammo and only one (Sierra 185 JHP) FTF. I believe it was due to the shape of the bullet and the short COAL of it. Otherwise, the rest of the ammo fired without a hick-up and accuracy was very good. The biggest surprise was the Velocity and SDs of the ammunition (X-Treme ammo 230 FMJ RN & 230 HP/XTP, Velocity was 853/868 fps with SDs of 2.6/2.4). Seven of the ammunition SDs were below 10 fps. The LeHigh 135gr Extreme Defense round clocked at 1259 fps with ES/SD: 34/14.2.

Chrono used was the new FX Outdoors – True Ballistics Chronograph.

MAC JSOC 1911.jpg

Since we're showing off 1911s - this one is all NP3 coated, with stabilized box elder burl grips. It's a relatively old Kimber from the 90's IIRC but has been tuned and slicked nicely, and that slide cycles like oiled glass with the NP3 coating.

TemAWGkh.jpg

Whether you're a proud owner of a carry gun, a competitive shooter with a race gun, or an enthusiast with a collection of vintage handguns, we want to see what you've got! Share your pictures and show off your handguns in this thread.

From compact concealed carry pistols to full-size handguns built for precision, any type of handgun is welcome. Whether it's a modern marvel or an old-school classic, we're eager to see the diversity of firearms within the community.

Feel free to share details about your handguns, such as make, model, any modifications or accessories, and the purpose they serve for you. Don't forget to mention any remarkable experiences or interesting stories associated with your handguns.
What is this?? ATF's new chatbot? I don't own any guns dude
Join date Tuesday.. couldn't get more suspect with that weird ass AI generated update/addition(?) to my OP..

What is this?? ATF's new chatbot? I don't own any guns dude
Join date Tuesday.. couldn't get more suspect with that weird ass AI generated update/addition(?) to my OP..
The bot posts are getting pretty common across several gun forums I'm on. They usually have some spammy link embedded in them.

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote