• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Harris Bipods, "You have a problem?" "Let me help you."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, and the minute people start the “it’s just as good as” line, the niceness goes out the window.

Not one single person has said anything about finances in this thread. Or talked down because they can’t afford it.

Part of the problem with the current generation is being too soft to handle the truth. And it’s from your generation’s inability to have taught them that.

Here’s facts:

It’s not just as good.

If you can only afford a Harris, that’s fine. But you won’t have the best and you won’t have “just as good.”

I’ll never fault that “nam vet” for not being able to afford better. But I’ll also not bullshit him and coddle him to thinking he has the best shit or just as good. I might even buy him a bipod.

Run your Harris, or your savage, or your remington all your want. Don’t lie to yourself or anyone else that they are “just as good.”

I respect myself and everyone else not to bullshit them. There was a time that was the way to do things and people respected that.

If you can’t afford something, get a better job, make better decisions, or if you are unable to, accept that’s the hand that life dealt you. My job isn’t to sugar coat that for your feelings.
I think if you go back through the thread, a minority have claimed it's "just as good".

This topic doesn't need to be polarized. It could be a really thoughtful discussion on the pros and cons of each system. The harris has more cons than pros, sure, but if we can reach that conclusion collectively and talk about each pro and con along the way, there is a lot more learning and a lot more community goodwill.

Or we can talk about how everyone sucks and be borderline trolls. I'm happy with that too.

Reactions: jb0311
I think if you go back through the thread, a minority have claimed it's "just as good".

This topic doesn't need to be polarized. It could be a really thoughtful discussion on the pros and cons of each system. The harris has more cons than pros, sure, but if we can reach that conclusion collectively and talk about each pro and con along the way, there is a lot more learning and a lot more community goodwill.

Or we can talk about how everyone sucks and be borderline trolls. I'm happy with that too.

Several people have insinuated they are just as good. They have made the comments “does fine for me” and asked why top prs shooters use them.

The differences, pros and cons have been discussed at nauseam for years.

Or you could read into what’s actually going on and see that the site is attempting to get people out of circa 1990 equipment and methods.
Well, yeah...but it can be done w a whole lot less snark, snide, and invective. Prob get the point across a lot better

carry on.

Harley or Kawasaki.
Blonde or Brunette.
Horses for courses.
Meh.
1iqPjXVRQsWArYs7a0.gif

Yep, and the minute people start the “it’s just as good as” line, the niceness goes out the window.

Not one single person has said anything about finances in this thread. Or talked down because they can’t afford it.

Part of the problem with the current generation is being too soft to handle the truth. And it’s from your generation’s inability to have taught them that.

Here’s facts:

It’s not just as good.

If you can only afford a Harris, that’s fine. But you won’t have the best and you won’t have “just as good.”

I’ll never fault that “nam vet” for not being able to afford better. But I’ll also not bullshit him and coddle him to thinking he has the best shit or just as good. I might even buy him a bipod.

Run your Harris, or your savage, or your remington all your want. Don’t lie to yourself or anyone else that they are “just as good.”

I respect myself and everyone else not to bullshit them. There was a time that was the way to do things and people respected that.

If you can’t afford something, get a better job, make better decisions, or if you are unable to, accept that’s the hand that life dealt you. My job isn’t to sugar coat that for your feelings.

Dont worry about my feelings. I just don't like assholes. If you cant agree that some people are one, thats fine.
I call em like I see em. A

I never mentioned myself or my gear.
Did I even weigh in on which bipod I think is best? Or say the Harris was just as good?
Just the way the argument was delivered.
And not even your additions on page 2.

If YOU cant see that it was far beyond just straight forward and honest, thats yours.

As for my generation? To soft to handle the truth?
Ha!
You dont know jack about me. Soft applies to my belly only, or my heart if evil fucks are messing with kids. Try learning. You might see I am a darn good guy who just doesnt like pompous jerks.

@Foul Mike - glad you and your worthless crap got some good CS and a human on the phone.
I will ask for the same guy if I ever need to call them. 😁

Were you on the rotary phone at home or the flip phone cell ? 😉

Thought of you the other day as I saw some hippie lookin gals in tie-dye.
These looked like the kind who fortunately still had a razor and used it! And a shower!
I still laugh about one of your great stories of sitting on the lawn at DU after you got home.

Behave yourself and dont swat the squaw on the rump too much. She might slap ya!

There was a sign in the back of the Chrysler-Plymouth dealership shop when I was a long-haired 18-year-old driving a 10-mpg-on-high-test muscle car in the early '70s:
TACT
IS THE ABILITY TO TELL A MAN
HE'S A SON OF A B****
AND MAKE HIM FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT
Truly a lost skill in today's in-your-face, truth-is-relative, mine-are-bigger-than-yours, I'm-right-you're-stupid-if-you-disagree culture.

Last edited:
I shoot off a 6-9 bootleg $30 Amazon Harris. Lowlight made a comment on another thread about fat guys shooting off short bipods, I pulled my legs out and immediately felt a difference in my head and neck being more relaxed while shooting prone. I have been thinking about upgrading to something taller and a little nicer for a while now.
I would like to upgrade to "poor" from dirt poor.
So while being a poor with about a $150 bipod budget, what taller bipod would be recommended? What features do you want? What makes the Atlas better?
Everyone says the Atlas is better, but can you please explain why?
I've only been shooting prone off a bipod for about 2 years, and I don't shoot nearly as much as I'd like too. I'm one of the people who doesn't know what I don't know.

Thanks.

Also maybe someone could make/do a bipod tutorial? Pros and cons of each and show them in action?

Reactions: rhsc
Several people have insinuated they are just as good. They have made the comments “does fine for me” and asked why top prs shooters use them.

This is a pretty experience shooter, testing a variety of bipods...
he basicaly says "meh...they all shoot with a little practice"

...it seems every unit has various flaws...

Of course time moves on and new units get rid of old flaws,
but in time will have found their own different flaws.

There was a sign in the back of the Chrysler-Plymouth dealership when I was a long-haired 18-year-old driving a 10-mpg-on-high-test muscle car in the early '70s:
TACT
IS THE ABILITY TO TELL A MAN
HE'S A SON OF A B****
AND MAKE HIM FEEL GOOD ABOUT IT
Truly a lost skill in today's in-your-face, truth-is-relative, mine-are-bigger-than-yours, I'm-right-you're-stupid-if-you-disagree culture.
the whole iM a ToUgH gUy AnD pOLiTiCaLly InCoRrEcT dUdE aNd MiLlEnIiAlS r SoFt persona is such an INSANE cliche that a lot of shooters just love to latch on to unfortunately. Ironically it's usually from people that don't even win at matches or really have any expertise beyond dunning-krugerism

Reactions: NorthWesterner
This is a pretty experience shooter, testing a variety of bipods...
he basicaly says "meh...they all shoot with a little practice"

...it seems every unit has various flaws...

Of course time moves on and new units get rid of old flaws,
but in time will have found their own different flaws.

I didn't watch the video, but sometimes it's not about whether or not they shoot - it's about how easily they shoot.

Did I say Harris? Nope. Said $300+ and yes people buy all sorts of shit for them.

While my comment wasn't really directed at you, for some reason I felt compelled responding in a manner addressing upgrading Harris's.

Those people, like Emelio, sure are nice to do business with.
It is so nice to talk to an actual person that knows their shit rather than talking to a machine.
Someone actually answering the phone.
You have my business. FM

Thanks for sharing this information.
It's becoming more and more rare these days to hear of this kind of customer care and service in any industry.

In the Online Training here on the site, @lowlight does one on bipods which I found to be really helpful.

I didn't watch the video, but sometimes it's not about whether or not they shoot - it's about how easily they shoot.

These norweigian guys all grew up with Sako bipod as the standard for past 20-30 years or whatever.

I think they know a thing or two about bipods.

But YMMV

Bought a PRS last year. I like it, but wish I’d have bought a CAL or S CAL. Still might.

I like my old Harris for hunting. Hunting with a bipod that’ll only run prone is kinda dead weight where I’m at. Killed a lot of stuff sitting under a tree on the edge of a field.

‘Course, deer and coyotes around here haven’t started carrying carpenter squares yet either........

These norweigian guys all grew up with Sako bipod as the standard for past 20-30 years or whatever.

I think they know a thing or two about bipods.

But YMMV
Yes. That is why I am agreeing with him and extending his point a little bit further. They all shoot. Some shoot easier than others.

Oh for goodness sakes man.

Or try knowing the member who is a retired Nam vet who is on a fixed income and dosnt have the $ to upgrade.

Or try a little nicer delivery?

I teach people stuff all the time.
Get them to Upgrade their thinking, knowledge, equipment, routine and more frequent training.
Never once got feedback I am a jerk.

As I am sure you teach new or younger guys in your line of work.
The ragging on a Nam Vet pissed me off the most.
Maybe one of the COMPANY boys could send Mike one of those used/Student bi-pods.
It would go a long ways towards redemption for being a shit to our elders.
The guy doesn't give two shits about an Atlas when he's worried about making it through to tomorrow

The Marine corps sure as hell taught me to respect a person.

Mike, let me know if you truly are happy with what you have or want something new?

Last edited:
The ragging on a Nam Vet pissed me off the most.
Maybe one of the COMPANY boys could send Mike one of those used/Student bi-pods.
It would go a long ways towards redemption for being a shit to our elders.
The guy doesn't give two shits about an Atlas when he's worried about making it through to tomorrow

The Marine corps sure as hell taught me to respect a person.

Mike, let me know if you truly are happy with what you have or want something new?
I bet the squirrel Mafia would get him whatever he wants! I’m in

I get things have innovated, but honestly, 2 deployments using the integral HK bipod on the G3A3 and the spigot mounted bipod on the G22 AIAW (made by AI?) as well as 3 deployments using the Harris on various platforms (Mk12, M110, M24) has never left me feeling handicapped or that I missed because of the bipod/would have hit with a different one.

My main gripe with the HK was that it was too long and could be made to deploy while firing and the AI and Harris notched versions were sometimes too low/too high as far as notch adjustments in certain positions. If I want to nitpick, the rubber feet Harris uses don't adhere to fucking anything like you think rubber would. I made it work.

Having owned an Atlas and tried out some of the other newer brands, I still own Harris and a KAC, but the KAC is basically because its on a M110K1. If I need to take a kneeling/crouched/standing shot over terrain, I'm using the tripod anyways, so the 'super high' feature on some of them to me is meaningless. I never liked the flex or slow deployment time in the Atlas. Some other bipods are just way too fucking big for anything outside of range or specific gamer use as well as have multiple bearing surfaces that will just end up with dirt/grit in them.

Is there something to look at that has the Harris footprint, doesn't flex and still has something like the 6-9 inch legs with tilt and fast deployment? I'd be up for testing out something new.

I get things have innovated, but honestly, 2 deployments using the integral HK bipod on the G3A3 and the spigot mounted bipod on the G22 AIAW (made by AI?) as well as 3 deployments using the Harris on various platforms (Mk12, M110, M24) has never left me feeling handicapped or that I missed because of the bipod/would have hit with a different one.

My main gripe with the HK was that it was too long and could be made to deploy while firing and the AI and Harris notched versions were sometimes too low/too high as far as notch adjustments in certain positions. If I want to nitpick, the rubber feet Harris uses don't adhere to fucking anything like you think rubber would. I made it work.

Having owned an Atlas and tried out some of the other newer brands, I still own Harris and a KAC, but the KAC is basically because its on a M110K1. If I need to take a kneeling/crouched/standing shot over terrain, I'm using the tripod anyways, so the 'super high' feature on some of them to me is meaningless. I never liked the flex or slow deployment time in the Atlas. Some other bipods are just way too fucking big for anything outside of range or specific gamer use as well as have multiple bearing surfaces that will just end up with dirt/grit in them.

Is there something to look at that has the Harris footprint, doesn't flex and still has something like the 6-9 inch legs with tilt and fast deployment? I'd be up for testing out something new.

I don’t think anyone is claiming a Harris or any other older type design bipods won’t work for practical sized targets.

But there’s better out there if you’re looking for other things.

As far as your last paragraph, the tbac is the only thing I know I’m that area. But it’s $400

Reactions: deersniper

I don’t think anyone is claiming a Harris or any other older type design bipods won’t work for practical sized targets.

But there’s better out there if you’re looking for other things.

As far as your last paragraph, the tbac is the only thing I know I’m that area. But it’s $400
Not saying it but why do I have the irrational urge to tell @TheGerman to go be poor somewhere else? Or is that basically what @Dthomas3523 is saying in the last paragraph?

I'm happy with my Cal. If Kasey wasn't doing his no dye thing at the time I was considering the Tbac. Still have my no cant Harris. Don't really use it anymore since I can move my cal around.

Reactions: Newbie2020
Meh, great shooters can hit with anything... I put rookies on the x47 / LRA F class or EI combo and they literally
cannot miss the target unless I give them a shit wind call. Recoil management fundamentals are learned the
hard way on ye ole M40/Harris combo. All this new gear makes shooting piss easy compared to 25 years ago.

This whole thread has turned into a dissertation on the benefits of being poor right here.

Reactions: Thunderskunk
I have the Spartan pictured, I also have two Harrises.

The Harris isnt nearly as good. It just isnt.

That doesnt mean that it doesnt work as good as it did in 2009. If that amount of good is enough for you: Good for you. You do you.

Does this count as a "Harris" bipod? Asking for a friend.
1602155428251.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ravenworks
Funny thread.
Some of you guys/gals must own botes.
I am new here and new to the sport.
Anything that you all talk about is a tool or a device, each tool/device can do the job it is designed for, some do it better, some last longer, some look better and some cost more, but, by an large, they get the job done.
$300 rifle or $30000 rifle.
I recently took a class, took my $$$$$ rifle and my $$$Atlas bi-pod, laid down in the dirt on my $mat, next to a whole line of people with $,$$,$$$,$$$$ tools/devices.
When asked to stand up and shoulder the rifle (Heavy azz rifle, looked good though) and shoot at 100yards, whilst gripping the bi-pod for support, guess what, it couldn't do it. Now the person next to me had a shitty Harris, not cant, no swivel, looked like a lost soul, did the job just fine.
When I got home, I spent hours cleaning and oiling the little balls and spring in my nice looking Atlas (and my $$$$$ heavy azz rifle), I think the Harris went to bet hung up wet.
Each tool has a job and place. No one tool does every job perfectly.
Just my 2c.
Carry on.

Anyone who cannot run a bipod without getting hurt should not be handling a rifle.
Fixed it.

Still waiting on the answer regarding the Rings or the Tripod
Ok I’ll say it. My $21.99 Walmart rings use Phillips head screws for the base and caps, which means I can use my swiss army knife to torque em down in the field. I had to bend them a bit in order to get the 1” ring tube (partially) around my 34mm ATACR’s tube, but that was a quick stop at Ace Hardware for longer screws. Bedded with JB weld and it’s solid AF, just like my HBRMS.

Not my feelings, bro. I’m happy as a clam.
How happy are clams though? Kind of seems like a blanket statement to make when you can’t actually measure a clam’s level of happiness (or lack thereof). Unless you mean how happy we (you) are when you eat a clam. ...because I’m sure that clam is in a one-sided relationship at that point and is definitely not happy

————-
If thread has taught me anything, it’s that I can’t bring my Atlas bipods into the field or they won’t work. This is disappointing news to me.

Recently switched to an atlas cal. Harris users don’t know what they are missing.

I've used a Harris for hunting fox/coyote/ground hogs, and it did fine. Usually though, this was just to keep the gun up out of the snow/mud when sitting on stand calling - terrain didn't usually afford using the Harris as a shooting rest. When shooting for accuracy I could get much better groups off of sand bags on the bench than with the Harris. I thought this was normal until I saw that my cousin had 2 different Harris and they all work really well for him.
When I started getting into precision rifle and NRA Highpower I found out that I could shoot better groups prone with a sling than I could from my Harris. I've been considering shooting a local F-class match, so I bough a used Atlas CAL this past spring to see if all the hype was true.....WOW!

Compared to the Harris, the Atlas is:
  1. Steadier/easier to hold on target.
  2. Less noise after shot - no twang or weird vibrations.
  3. Guns (I tried two different rifles) both shot as good or better than they do using sandbags and the bench.
  4. Recoil impulse felt different - more controlled.
I feel like in both cases I got what I paid for.
Ross

Last edited:
This has been hit on some already by @powdahound76 and @Ravenworks AND I slept on it just to prevent an asshole reply. I have no dog in this fight as far as bipods go, I use what I want and most of my equipment will shoot better than I can. I don’t shoot PRS cause I think it is a prima donna breeding ground. I shoot by myself and that’s the way I’ll keep it for as long as I can.

I do take issue with the statement @Dthomas3523 made. I’m not getting into a pissing match, and a simple yes or no will suffice me. Based off this statement ALONE, did you ever serve?

It took me about 2 range trips to get used to the atlas, but the first time I deployed it I immediately noticed it was more stable than the brm-s. Once I got used to the pre-load nuance, I noticed how much easier it was to get solid recoil management versus the harris. Never knew how much of an issue it was on my 300wm over a harris, I figured being 3-5mil off target was good enough given I was running a magnum. The atlas is on a .308 gas gun, and while it obviously has less recoil than the 300wm I’m only a few tenths to a mil off target between shots at the most. Usually I’m reset on target with no real significant shift at all. The other nice thing is having a pic rail attachment versus a sling swivel stud tensioning screw which always works itself loose after a few rounds. The whole I can deploy it faster logic is lost on me, I ran the harris with 550 cord for over a decade, and yeah you can deploy faster so you can miss faster and make up that time difference resetting your position between shots. 🤷‍♂️
Realistically the time difference between deploying a harris vs atlas is like all of 2 seconds. Its a non-issue for me.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Fixed it.

Ok I’ll say it. My $21.99 Walmart rings use Phillips head screws for the base and caps, which means I can use my swiss army knife to torque em down in the field. I had to bend them a bit in order to get the 1” ring tube (partially) around my 34mm ATACR’s tube, but that was a quick stop at Ace Hardware for longer screws. Bedded with JB weld and it’s solid AF, just like my HBRMS.

How happy are clams though? Kind of seems like a blanket statement to make when you can’t actually measure a clam’s level of happiness (or lack thereof). Unless you mean how happy we (you) are when you eat a clam. ...because I’m sure that clam is in a one-sided relationship at that point and is definitely not happy

————-
If thread has taught me anything, it’s that I can’t bring my Atlas bipods into the field or they won’t work. This is disappointing news to me.
Is it a bearded clam?

Like many things in my life I thought to myself, "I'll never spend that kind of cash on that".

I started with a BlackHawk bipod which was a Harris clone, but the Harris quality wasn't there!

I liked the Harris but found myself thinking, there must be a better bipod out there with better feet, functionality and stability?...

I tried Magpul which I soon liked better than Harris.
Sure it had play in it but that worked for me while loading my bipod.

I really didn't want to pay more than $120 on a bipod. I mean the Harris fan boys had kept them alive for so long that I figured I must be the problem...

Then I said whatever, I'll try to get a good deal on an Atlas bipod with QD capability to justify my purchase.

Well, I got a Cal2, SCal and a 5H and never looked back...

They are shockingly more stable and very well made.
Yes they cost a lot for most people but that's life.
Better product equals more money.

TBAC. Slightly wider when folded but quick to deploy and about the same size

Reactions: chutinlead
Or you could read into what’s actually going on and see that the site is attempting to get people out of circa 1990 equipment and methods.

40 rods.jpg

All joking aside, my least favorite experience at the range (non-safety related) is when someone offers me advice when I haven't asked for it. I'm not talking about coaching/training sessions. I'm talking about the guy who needs to explain why his way/his gear/whatever is better than me/mine. Usually this person knows nothing about me or my goals for being at the range that day. I may be there to focus on magazine manipulations in rapid fire, or perfecting my breathing in slow fire, or maybe I'm at the range to get out of the office and chat with folks and be social. I try not to be that guy at the range either. My home range has a lot of older guys who can barely make from the car to the bench - I don't judge them because they're shooting an 80 year old Winchester 22lr and not a Vudoo or RimX. And I don't tell them that they need to upgrade. I'm polite and respectful.

I think that what guys like @lowlight and @Dthomas3523 are saying is that they don't really care what gear you choose to run. But don't ask for people's opinion and get upset when they tell you something that disagrees with your belief system.

Reactions: Kambaku and JakeM

Here’s facts:

It’s not just as good.

Try showing a little professionalism on and of the field and you will find people that will follow you. We need to stop taking a shit on members that can only afford a Savage, Remington, or Harris. We talk about the fundamentals all the time. A POS will force you to use them. Think about it. The poor 'Nam vet hands you his POS and you can't shoot it as well as him. I love all these maxed out credit card bragging rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I
Try showing a little professionalism on and of the field and you will find people that will follow you. We need to stop taking a shit on members that can only afford a Savage, Remington, or Harris. We talk about the fundamentals all the time. A POS will force you to use them. Think about it. The poor 'Nam vet hands you his POS and you can't shoot it as well as him. I love all these maxed out credit card bragging rights.
I agree, use what you can afford. I'm no where near rich, but my passion leads me to spend on things that are related to it.

If you can afford a better rifle or scope get it, however equipment will never make you better without practice.
Skill will always outweigh the latest and greatest equipment.
Mindset and patience are also invaluable.

Give a guy a 30/30 who can read wind vs a brand new 6.5CM in the hands of someone clueless about wind, you get the idea...

Facts are stubborn things, right?

The Atlas Cal2 is just better in stability, which is the purpose of a bipod. If you can afford it, I'm sure it will serve you well.

Still, use what works for you, that's what I always say...

I can’t wait to hear how this is relevant to anything discussed thus far.
@roostercogburn98
My anticipation is directed at your justification of someone’s service (or possible lack thereof) in a bipod thread. Care to clarify the need for knowing if he served and how it’s relevant to the topic at hand? Because I can’t see how it’s applicable to anything being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.