• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Has anyone chambered Bartleins new 400MODBB

HellcatActual

Choochin
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2020
all over
Just curious if anyone has reamed a 400MODBB pipe yet. seeing the information out for it, it looks a little harder than are normal 416ss material. Curious how everyones reamers and machines are turning out the new metal?

I got one I have to run in a few weeks.

In frank greens thread about it he said it should cut like normal. Don't need special tooling.

Speaking as a machinist feeds and speeds are generally pretty forgiving staying within material family ranges.

I know Frank's written about their in-house results.
Anyone here with anecdotal experience with barrel burners using them?

I'd pondered a 7 STW for a while now - and this would be a candidate.

I've been searching for testing results comparing resistance to firecracking between this alloy, and nitriding/hardening and can't find any.

I know there's a ton of variables when it comes to this anecdotal shit, but seems this would be very easy to set up/ do with controlled testing.

In frank greens thread about it he said it should cut like normal. Don't need special tooling.

Speaking as a machinist feeds and speeds are generally pretty forgiving staying within material family ranges.

I read Franks thread about the barrel and which led me to getting one with some real hope because I was impressed with their in house testing results.

I was hoping to find out from the shop guys to see their results and opinion.

I've cut roughly a dozen of them in the last ~18 months with no issues. I've used the same reamer on most of them with no drastic effects also. If you gave me a regular one and a Mod400 without markings, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference afterwords.

I've cut roughly a dozen of them in the last ~18 months with no issues. I've used the same reamer on most of them with no drastic effects also. If you gave me a regular one and a Mod400 without markings, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference afterwords.

thanks! appreciate the input.