• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Has Premier Reticles fixed their Parallax binding issue?

I know this is probably a retarded question, but how would someone not know his/her parallax doesn't work? I am not the best shooter in the group, but I know when my parallax is adjusted correctly for me.

It's the f'in parallax and 100 yrds is a lot different then 1000 yrds. Duh! I don't care what scope we are talking about.

Single digit temps & well below sub-zero windchills, no issues with parallax binding on these two Premiers.
9CBAFF0B-275C-45CA-B4A9-524F50E6085A_zpsywuarsrh.jpg

Same here...
4D39B9B0-95BD-49B0-A0D7-585D7D162A7D_zpsoadbw4zb.jpg

Same trip as this, pard's Swaro took a dump on him from gettin' dinged around.
Call me lucky to have avoided all of my Premiers being "swamped" during the last 4 years of using them...

Why in God's name are you out shooting in weather like that!! :)

Now now now...Paul walker wasn't driving, but the guy that was driving was a professional race car driver so I'm not sure if that helps or hurts your point. It probably helps as there are plenty of people out there that "know what they are doing" and/or do it for a living and still F stuff up.

I based that on experience...

The fact I can go down and line and say,

"Hey do you know your parallax doesn't work", and the answer is "No" says a lot. I have to take my shoes off to give you accurate account on how many times that has happened.

There is a lot of people out there who can afford to buy stuff and have no idea how it works, ask Paul Walker, ownership does not signify competence. So if the shoe fits, wear it.

I based that on experience...

There is a lot of people out there who can afford to buy stuff and have no idea how it works, ask Paul Walker, ownership does not signify competence. So if the shoe fits, wear it.

Can't, he's dead and also wasn't driving..

Having dealt with QR levers on bikes for many years, I required no training to understand the cam lever. But the Heritage was too frickin' heavy. Then I had a non-illum LT and it was a good scope, no problems. But when SWFA came out with the SS 3-15 I had to ask myself why risk damaging a high-end scope when you can own one almost as good and pocket a grand in recouped money? I wish the SS turrets were lower like the SS 3-9 and I'd shake a couple hundred loose for HD glass. But I'm happy...no grudges against Premier, just not interested anymore.

Incidentally, I see SWFA doesn't carry Steiner scopes, just bins. Wonder what the story is there?

I wondered that myself.

Joe

Me three.

[MENTION=7]Lowlight[/MENTION]

Could you please elaborate on the symptoms/outwardly apparent manifestation of the PRH parallax binding issue, please?

If it were as simple as not being able to focus on anything you want from ~50 yards to infinity, it's really surprising a user wouldn't notice that.

You guys are genuinely pathetic... really.

As if the binding is a completely made up thing.

Here is a clue, it moves part of the distance but not the complete distance, so it will appear to be working on one end, but not on both ends.

So, if you have a guy who just fiddles around inside 200 yards, then ventures beyond, the lens hits the point of binding and doesn't go to the necessary point in the travel. What they see is, the adjustment is somewhere in the middle and everything appears to be correct, but in reality it is not moving, but the focus is out far enough to appear ok.

Just like the guys who post on here every week believing "Crisp Focus" equals the parallax is out of the system, not understanding you can have a focused target and still have parallax in the system. Parallax and focus are not the same thing.

Jesus. People can't even ask a question without getting some pompous response from you. Being helpful without being demeaning is too difficult?

Last edited:

Here is a clue, it moves part of the distance but not the complete distance, so it will appear to be working on one end, but not on both ends.

So, if you have a guy who just fiddles around inside 200 yards, then ventures beyond, the lens hits the point of binding and doesn't go to the necessary point in the travel. What they see is, the adjustment is somewhere in the middle and everything appears to be correct, but in reality it is not moving, but the focus is out far enough to appear ok.

Just like the guys who post on here every week believing "Crisp Focus" equals the parallax is out of the system, not understanding you can have a focused target and still have parallax in the system. Parallax and focus are not the same thing.

Lowlight....just in case I'm really confused. If the scope is in focus AND you move your head back from the scope. Move your head up, down, left, right and the center of the reticle does not move then is parallax correct?

Yes parallax is set for that particular range! It doesn't necessarily have to be focused to have no parallax

BS6820, I just tried to PM you, but it said you couldn't receive PM's. What up with that?

He won't be answering...

People seem to confusing debating what I have said, vs attacking me in an attempt to shoot the messenger. I'm not wasting my time with people who want to attack me over this.. it's not like any of this is debatable, it's been proven and even acknowledged by the company. So I really don't see the need to nit pick here. If you want to say, "well they fixed that since 2011, okay great, the message is still extremely relevant for people who are considering picking up a used one. Also there is a world of difference between people who spent $1999 from Liberty and people who spend close to $3k. And there is still the issue that officially, the new company has not announced the changes, maybe after SHOT That will all change, but until then, the truth in the advertisement has an asterisk.

Yes, if you check your parallax and the reticle does not move and you target is in crisp focus, you win. If you check the parallax and the target is in focus and the reticle floats, you have more adjusting to do. It depends on the scope, and how it is set up. Heck I sent my 3-20x in for repair, I was never past zeroing it before realizing the turret was not working, but when it got to S&B they found a parallax issue with and repaired it. it's in their paperwork, parallax adjustment fixed... it was in for a completely unrelated issue.

I'm quickly running out of patience with this bullshit...

There are agendas, and there are facts of the matter that pertain to people who are not on the inside. This is about real money, and real issues.

I'm quickly running out of patience with this bullshit...

There are agendas, and there are facts of the matter that pertain to people who are not on the inside. This is about real money, and real issues.

Frank,

Thank you for keeping this forum real and weeding out the bullshitters. I absolutely love this forum and it is your moderating like this that allows people to publish the truth and the facts, not conjecture and agendas.

I have learned so much reading these forums. This forum was instrumental in me obtaining the finest rifle out there (GA Precision) along with great glass. I have the best that I could ask for and without this forum, I would not have been able to make such an informed purchase decision. Now I am shooting better than I ever have and prior to this, I was reading and researching for YEARS. This forum got me the information in just months. And I still learn everyday.

When I see the next Premier scope, I will test it out. I will not say anything, just ask the owner if he wants to know that there may be an issue. That way I can pay it forward and spread the knowledge that I believe is at the core of this forum.

Keep up the good work and keep it real. Thank you.

Neil

Understand, I have no doubt moving forward Canada will put out a stellar product. I love the Elcans and use them a lot, I think I have about 5 different Elcans from the fixed 4x to the 1-4x, and 1.5-6x, and I know the Optronika guys, they are very conscious people. They don't want to put out something that is full of bugs. Clearly, the Steiner is a great example of this as it is has its roots with them. But ignoring the issues don't make them go away.

But to pretend like i am making this is up is just silly.

I've sat out so far on this discussion but I'd like to add my thoughts as I have a horse in this race as well.

I bought my first Premier scope in early 2012. It was one of the new 5-25 Heritage models with Optronika label. I has not had any issues thus far and have shot it in some competitions at my local range.

Because of my positive experience with it I bought a Premier Light Tactical 3-15 a few months later. I feel Lowlight is correct in saying owners may not know about the issue. As he points out, in my case the parallax knob was was indeed binding, I actually did not notice it the first few days. It was not until I was shooting at a target closer than 50 yards and not being able to focus at max magnification that I recalled being able to clearly focus at that distance on the day that I received the scope, just before it was mounted. The binding actually feels like a hard stop, nothing unusual like grittiness or tightness. I called Premier and sent the scope back. The person who called me back to explain this was a known issue relating to ring pressure. Mine were set just under 20 ft/lbs which he explained was too much and I shouldn't need anything more than 15. The service rep said he'll try to take a bit off the parallax lens to try and prevent this from happening. When I got it back I mounted it again at 15lbs it was fine but i could feel the binding again if I torqued the rings any higher. Although I was glad there was a solution to the problem, I was dissapointed overall that the "in-spec" tube could only handle 15 pounds. They said in the future they would look into strengthening it but as of now this would be the case with the 30mm tubes.

I can see two sides to argument of the earlier posts about Premier owners not knowing. On the one hand my Premiers especially the 5-25's parallax has a short focal distance, leaning many to conclude it is nearly impossible to not notice any problems with the adjustment, however as Lowlight pointed out, if the binding is at either end it may only affect a small range of distances. In my case if I had not shot at 50 yards, which I do not do often, I would have never noticed the problem since the affected area was on the bottom end. Similarly if the binding was at the infinity end, depending on eyesight and sensitivity, I can understand people not noticing there as well. Only if the pinch and bind was right near the middle would it be extremely obvious not being able to focus at 100 or 200 yards for example.

The point about 'crisp focus' does not mean parallax is gone is right on. My Leupold MK6 is getting serviced right now on this issue.

Was this aimed at me?
WTF?
I don't own any Premiers, past or present, I was just inquiring how someone else could not know their $3000 scope could not be adjusted for zero parallax unless it was a safe queen.

I never suggested you were making this up, the issue has been documented time and time again.

Joe

Last edited:
Was this aimed at me?
WTF?
I don't own any Premiers, past or present, I was just inquiring how someone else could not know their $3000 scope could not be adjusted for zero parallax unless it was a safe queen.

I never suggested you were making this up, the issue has been documented time and time again.

Joe

Nope, it was aimed at me.

Both of you... cause I am sure it is a case of Joe looking to stir the pot with me has he is prone to do.

Maybe you both can also go ahead and read the first hand account of someone that it happened too... pretty much exactly how I spelled it out.

Both of you... cause I am sure it is a case of Joe looking to stir the pot with me has he is prone to do.

Maybe you both can also go ahead and read the first hand account of someone that it happened too... pretty much exactly how I spelled it out.

I don't stir the pot; I disagree when someone has made a statement that in my experience is false, and I don't offer opinions in matters where I have no experience. Big difference. I was just curious, but you overreacted, like you always do when you think you are being attacked.

Joe

I have an Optronika labelled 5-25 and haven't found any problems with it.

Recently picked up a light tactical. Guess I'll see if I find issues with it.