• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Having issues with a 1911 9mm...anyone have any ideas what could be wrong here?

Onehunglow

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2013
Los Angeles
I have been having some primer and accuracy with my beloved SS Springfield loaded 9 mm 1911...

I have had this gun for three or four years. I have about 2000 rounds through it, and never had a problem until a few weeks back when I had some failure to fires from light primer strikes.

Not only are the primers looking pretty wasted, the accuracy is all over the map with the gun. I usually shot 1.5 " groups with this gun at 10 yards and 4" groups at 25 yards, but now its more like 5" groups at 10 yards and I am lucky to get 6 of the nine rounds on a 11 x 17 target paper at 25 yards.

I am running 4.2 grains of red dot in cases with various primers. I am using extreme plated 124 grain bullets, and the gun has been eating this load for a long time.

I have tested the same rounds on a sig 226, glock 26, SA EMP, sig 2022, Luger (1914) and a Taurus 92. They also work fine in a mac 10, ONLY THE 1911 HAS ISSUES.

I can't figure out what has gone wrong..

Any ideas?

Definitely mainspring. If too weak or broken the gun could unlock too early, which would explain the poor accuracy.