• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

He said, "No Thanks!"

There's a guy that works for me that's about 8 - 10 years younger than me. He's pretty much a "gun nut" for lack of a better term (I'm not using the term enthusiast on purpose). He "knows" everything about guns, and he will tell you. I've taken him shooting, and he's brought his tricked out AK-47, his Springfield 9mm, and his Mosin. These are his guns. He was interested in long range shooting and needed his first bolt gun to get started. I've let him shoot my AR's, 308, 338, and 243. I also gave him the heads up when my gun club opened memberships to take in new members and he joined. He's single, no kids, so I figured he would have plenty of time on his hands to go shooting. I wanted someone to go shoot with me more, I knew he wanted to get a bolt gun, and I thought he would want to go every weekend like I do (try to do). Knowing his didn't have a lot of extra money, I offered to let him buy the .243 and pay me $100/month on it (r700, trued, douglas M24 barrel, 1:8/5 twist, manners t5a, swfa ss 5-20) while he found one that he liked. After he politely declined, I offered to let him simply use the rifle/scope combo AT NO COST until he found one he liked, and even told him I had tons of reloading supplies for the .243 and he could come over anytime and load up some ammo for free. Essentially he could get into long range shooting for free, and learn with a tack driving .243. He politely declined that too, and told me, "Man...I appreciate it, and I don't mean any offense, but when I get a bolt gun I want one that can both target shoot and kill deer pretty easily (he's never deer hunted)....I'm really looking at the 300 Win Mag with that 5R barrel.." After trying to explain that a 300 Win Mag is NOT the rifle to learn with until I was blue in the face, I finally just moved on. This was in July. The guy hasn't been to the range yet....still looking for a deal on a used 300 Win Mag, but is MUST have that 5R barrel, because those barrels are "like .25 to .5 MOA out of the box".

OP, that sucks.

That's funny because I've had similar things like this happen.

In my case the guy talked big about guns but in truth was so embarrassed about his shooting abilities that he refused to learn and grow as a shooter. He was happy blasting away with his AK and pistols but hitting a lot of Arizona dirt and not the intended target.

Certain people like to live in their smokescreen and expect others to play their little weird mind game's with them. Different person than above but another guy who used to be a friend would never admit to his personal smokescreen even though we'd known each other for many years. I got tired of it so the day came when I politely attempted to bring the issues out into the open. Man he dug his feet in deep right then, wanting no part of it. From then on I decided it best to part ways.

Holy crap!! My SIL gave me a new machette for Christmas, and I was THRILLED!! That is freakin unbelievable.

DK

My mother-in-law got me a set of 223 dies and some Black Dog 22LR magazines.

And she's somewhere between "indifferent" and "OMFG AK15 assault rifle clips".

If he would have explained it to me that way.... Well, I can deal with that.

He just looked at it, snorted a bit, then said, "uh.... No, thanks." In the room of him, the MIL, my wife (his daughter), and me, we all sat there through about five seconds of awkward silence.

Then I said, "We'll, I hope that I can use this next year for deer season." More awkward silence. Then Mrs. Belly said that we should get dinner started and instantly the silence was broken.

Here's the part that makes it really awkward: we're at his house for the holidays, and we don't go home until 1 Jan.

Ugh! It's been an awkward 24 hours.

Tell him to see what performs better and bet the rifle. His 22-250 for your .243. Out shoot him, take his rifle and then let it sit in your rack. Or send it off to short bus and have him paint his magical penis's all over it and send it back to the FIL. I'm sure he'd appreciate that.

Tell him to see what performs better and bet the rifle. His 22-250 for your .243. Out shoot him, take his rifle and then let it sit in your rack. Or send it off to short bus and have him paint his magical penis's all over it and send it back to the FIL. I'm sure he'd appreciate that.

This would only end poorly.

It'd be a great story, true. BUT........

Here's how this whole thing started:

About a year ago, he said that he was getting tired of the kick from his 300 RUM and his 25-06 just was a bit too heavy to lug around anymore. He and I talked about it for a while, and he mentioned that if he had a lighter gun to hunt, he might enjoy it again.

I didn't say anything about this to him. I just put the rifle together over the course about a couple months, and then after I found an ammo recipe that it liked, it sat in my gun room..... It sat and sat......

When we got here to his place, I brought it up that a buddy and I were able to get out and go hunting and brought in some meat for the freezer. I brought him some of it, maybe 5 lbs or so, as I know he loves venison. He brings it up again about how he missed hunting and how he wished he wasn't recoil-shy like he was last year. He mentions the weight of the 25-06. He mentions that the ammo is so expensive for both cartridges. I told him that I could load him up some ammo and have it delivered every year. He said that would be really nice. I mentioned that I really enjoy shooting my .308 and .260. He said he liked the case, but thought they were still too stout for him.

At this point, I'm thinking that I've got this nailed! Best Gift Ever. He opens it up, looks at the caliber, says no thanks and hands it back....

Later I hear him talking about hunting using his 25-06 again.

Face. Frickin. Palm.

Here's how this whole thing started:

About a year ago, he said that he was getting tired of the kick from his 300 RUM and his 25-06 just was a bit too heavy to lug around anymore. He and I talked about it for a while, and he mentioned that if he had a lighter gun to hunt, he might enjoy it again.

I didn't say anything about this to him. I just put the rifle together over the course about a couple months, and then after I found an ammo recipe that it liked, it sat in my gun room..... It sat and sat......

When we got here to his place, I brought it up that a buddy and I were able to get out and go hunting and brought in some meat for the freezer. I brought him some of it, maybe 5 lbs or so, as I know he loves venison. He brings it up again about how he missed hunting and how he wished he wasn't recoil-shy like he was last year. He mentions the weight of the 25-06. He mentions that the ammo is so expensive for both cartridges. I told him that I could load him up some ammo and have it delivered every year. He said that would be really nice. I mentioned that I really enjoy shooting my .308 and .260. He said he liked the case, but thought they were still too stout for him.

At this point, I'm thinking that I've got this nailed! Best Gift Ever. He opens it up, looks at the caliber, says no thanks and hands it back....

Later I hear him talking about hunting using his 25-06 again.

Face. Frickin. Palm.

No doubt, dealing with "oldstimers" (set in the ways) can be frustrating. A thought you might pursue, if you aren't gnawing on your teeth at this point, is to load up some of the best 25-06 loads you can make. 115 Bergers or 110/115 Noslers. At the time you present that to him, have a sit down (internet) shopping spree looking at lightweight rifle stocks. There are some nice stocks that reduce recoil considerably.

All told if you can do that, you are the man. Because I know after the rifle thing with my dad I was chewing gravel and spitting sand.:mad: It was all I could do to keep any semblance of cool about it, let alone 'nonchalance' :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If he would have explained it to me that way.... Well, I can deal with that.

He just looked at it, snorted a bit, then said, "uh.... No, thanks." In the room of him, the MIL, my wife (his daughter), and me, we all sat there through about five seconds of awkward silence.

Then I said, "We'll, I hope that I can use this next year for deer season." More awkward silence. Then Mrs. Belly said that we should get dinner started and instantly the silence was broken.

Here's the part that makes it really awkward: we're at his house for the holidays, and we don't go home until 1 Jan.

Ugh! It's been an awkward 24 hours.

Yeah, that would suck. Sounds like you are doing a great job of not making an incident over it and putting family above his actions.

Or send it off to short bus and have him paint his magical penis's all over it and send it back to the FIL.

The room is starting to spin from all of the gayness in this post.

I was cool with Trucker Girl Camo, but I definitely draw the line at magical penis camo. That would be one of those things that you can't unsee.

So, seriously....

Who's THE gunsmith to clean up this factory gun with a new tube and a new lease on life?

So if you dont mind, how did it shoot. I have been think of maybe getting a sporter weight but was afraid it would walk when shooting more than one round every 7 minutes and/or larger than moa...

So if you dont mind, how did it shoot. I have been think of maybe getting a sporter weight but was afraid it would walk when shooting more than one round every 7 minutes and/or larger than moa...

With only 45 rounds down the pipe, I can't really say too definitively. It shot a .86" 5-shot group with 40.8 gr of IMR 7828 pushing a 105gr AMAX. This was the middle of a 'how much powder does this thing like' test.

For a sporter weight, I like it. I trust it to be accurate when shooting no more than about 10 rds/minute for one minute.

My take: You know there are some people with a self image. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead owning a Prius, or a maybe Volvo? So, this guy likes his Magnum and his hot 25'06 and thinks a 243 is for pussies. It's a conceptual thing, I expect he would have the same reaction if you bought him a diamond ear ring.

The problem here is, the OP assumed he knew what was best for his FIL when he should have ASKED what would be a good replacement for a heavy 25'06 and a hard kicking Mag. Just an innocent question, not " I want to buy you something" but "his dream rifle", not your opinion of what's best for him. BB

What's the twist rate on that barrel? Something around 85gr may do better in a factory rem barrel.

Good job not taking the low road when he refused the gift. No good can come from getting in a pissing match with the FIL. He can be all the dickhead he wants, but you still get to bang his daughter. :)

1/9 twist.

I did that night. In his house.

My take: You know there are some people with a self image. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead owning a Prius, or a maybe Volvo? So, this guy likes his Magnum and his hot 25'06 and thinks a 243 is for pussies. It's a conceptual thing, I expect he would have the same reaction if you bought him a diamond ear ring.

The problem here is, the OP assumed he knew what was best for his FIL when he should have ASKED what would be a good replacement for a heavy 25'06 and a hard kicking Mag. Just an innocent question, not " I want to buy you something" but "his dream rifle", not your opinion of what's best for him. BB

This is a strong counter point to my original thought process. However, it wouldn't have been a surprise of a gift if I asked. He would have asked why I was asking. Seeing as I absolutely can't lie, I would have just blurted out why...

I really thought I had this one nailed down, though.

You did good SIL.

Do you ever hunt with him? Maybe you could broaden his horizons with that rifle one day.
Give him a little dose of deniers remorse.

OK I'll be your substitute FIL (I'll pitch hit for him since it sounds as though the early stages of dementia are present). Send me the rifle, I spout your glories as the cool SIL I never had and shoot the crap out of it. Oh and thanks for the offer but just give me the recipe and I'll roll my own. Maybe for X-Mas next year, if you're so inclined, you could get me a new barrel.

He was probably hoping that Santa would bring him a TacOps fer Christmas.

Last edited:
it wouldn't have been a surprise of a gift if I asked. He would have asked why I was asking.

Do you mean you aren't smart enough to disguise your probe? He bitches enough, that you should have ample opportunity to just throw it back at him and "casually" ask him what he would get, (you know) the perfect rifle, if he were to actually do something besides whine about it. And, it apparently revolves around a specific chambering, not so much, the platform?

Be happy the guy at least understands your station in life. My father in law bored me to death, all he ever talked about was "sis" or "peanut" or Fred and Barbara; all conversations began and ended with family. We (literally) had nothing else to talk about, and he never owned a gun. Make sense? BB

Sandwarrior, Figured someone would ask, Details are as followed, New Guy here in town, kid looked 13(seriously)Without going into a lot of detail, I gave him a custom built Mauser 98 in 7-08, and as many of you know I love the 7mm. Long story short, the police seized the weapon on a Welfare check. A temporary Counselor called the police for a VERY questionable reason, upon a search of the premesis they seized 2 weapons, the one I gave him plus an authentic 1904 winchester Model 94 WITH an octagon barrel. Needless to say the Paper trail led to me. BUTF boys call me up one morning and inform me that a weapon went through my shop was involved in a crime scene. EXCUSE ME??? Here in North Dakota?? I Asked them "what was the crime"? Jaywalking? They didn't know. They gave me the info and I tracked it down, Called the guy up and asked him where the rifle is, and he was a little evasive. Confirmation. I explained the situation and he fessed up. The next day I called the BUTF boys with much anger in my voice and informed them a welfare check is not a crime, you better get your collective feces together and if you want further cooperation with me, you better not try these shock tactics again!!!! I spent 20 years in the military and that tactic went out of date 20 minutes after it was invented!! Next time you call here you better have hard data if you want co-operation!! HUNG UP, after explainig the situation. Found out a little trick you all might be interested in, anytime the FEDS might be getting a little nosy into your business...........DUMP all your records into a LARGE box, your duty is to PROVIDE them the info, it is their job to sort it out. Learned that one from a hardware store owner, and he was right. I won't name the state agency but it worked like a champ! The guy looked at the "pile" and said this is not going to be audit, after they told me it was an audit and have all my info ready!ROTFLMAO!!!! I want to state here and now that I was not doing anything wrong and all my business practices are up to date and legal. Hope that answers your question sandwarrior.

Your FIL is an ass! It's the thought that counts and he should have been appreciative, even if he would prefer something else. What a disappointment for you. I hope your wife appreciated all your efforts. I hope you have better luck in 2014!

Meh. Move on. Life is too frickin' short. Have a new tube screwed on to the rifle and go have fun.

I had an ass FIL once; nothing could please him, and I learned quickly: Some folks enjoy their misery...doesn't mean you have to be company.

Just smile, say "See you next year" and go have fun with the rifle. It would appear, everyone else in the room at the time already understands, so I don't think anyone else will think any less of you (and probably more of you if you just let it roll off your back and move on...).

JMTCW...

Couple of months back a long time good friend gave me a Marlin SS guide gun with the straight grip stock in walnut. I always wanted one but figured I would get the pistol grip version with the laminated stock. Well I got what I got from a good friend and I will set that gun up to hunt and be HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY. Each time I look at it I think of my friend and all we have done and been through together. My wants seem pretty trivial compared to our friendship.

He likes a 25-06.

He also complains about recoil and the weight of his current gun. A LOT of complaining, actually.

Respectfully, if I did that and received the same insult, I'd buy him a box of tampons and gift wrap it. When he asked what that was for i'd tell him you tried to help him but since he rejected your gift you thought that would sufice. But i'm an ass like that though and I have told my wife on more that one occasion, I married her not her family.

Last edited:
a fairly accusatory tone

Come on, Chump, I mean Champ. Give me a break! I'm trying to help you; get it? This whole deal is (actually) a waste of time. Yours, mine and everybody else's. Truthfully, most men could handle it without dialing up their support group. BB

Come on, Chump, I mean Champ. Give me a break! I'm trying to help you; get it? This whole deal is (actually) a waste of time. Yours, mine and everybody else's. Truthfully, most men could handle it without dialing up their support group. BB

You never would have guessed, but your father in law is actually a gun enthusiast and a member of SH.

I have provided EVERY want and desire his daughter asked for. That's all he ever told me he required when I asked for his permission to marry her. Yes, I'm traditional enough that I asked dads permission.

Can anyone recommend a good smith? I've got a bit of cash and a bit of time, if they've got any openings in their schedule for a year.

Short Action Customs

I browse... read a little here and there. Waiting for my 6.5Saum 4s tikka to come back from short action customs and my 700 that was in the ai chassis just got sent to gap. The 700 was requiring a hammerfist to close the bolt(with round in chamber) and i didn't like that/knew it was unsafe from the factory.