• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns HEAVY DUTY FOLDING KNIFE

Tactical22

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2009
SC
I am on the never-ending quest for the perfect folding knife. It is not hard at all to find quality fixed blades that I like - that market is saturated. However, finding a rugged, good quality, reliable folding knife that I can treat like a fixed blade is very difficult.
Here is what I'm looking for:

3"-4" blade length (as close to 4" as possible)
slim handle profile
very thick blade that I can occasionally use for prying, chopping, and hitting with a mallet
sharp but durable non-tanto point
very solid lock up
zero movement in the lockup
fast opening, preferably with an index finger flipper
preferably no springs, torsion bars, or ball bearings to wear out, break, or jam
great quality steel (my favorite by far is S30V)
dual bevel
no serrations
straight, inline design
deep pocket point up carry clip
Around $100-200

Knives I have looked at in the past and like, just to give you an idea on style:

Buck SBMF
ZT 0301
ZT 0200
Benchmade 9555 Auto Rift
Strider SMF, SNG, and PT
Grayman Satu

Re: HEAVY DUTY FOLDING KNIFE

CRKT makes some good hard use knives, emerson makes good stuff, crusader forge makes some rediculous hard use knives.

You can find all the features you listed , but probably not in the price range you listed.
The only uncommon brand i would suggest is, knives of alaska.
I know they dont really have the rep of being top of the line , but i have been very impressed with my master guide folder.

In your budget I would look at microtech ,spyderco,benchmade.
for more $ look at, Chris Reeves, crusader forge, perhaps surefire.

A Foster 1911 pretty much fills the requirements you listed.

I got mine several years ago before Matt Foster went to work for Marlin (think it was Marlin) when he was still with Warne. It's been a tough knife, very well made.

http://www.fosterknives.com/

I have the Zero tolerance 0301 its a nice heavy folder. This was a recommended knife from a buddy that is a knife fanatic. He is always buying , testing and breaking knives. It has nice weight, a heavy blade, liner lock, assisted opening, and was my primary carry knife for many years. I have been doing a lot of traveling lately and now carry a Chris Reeve Small Sebenza.

Not in that price range with making some compromises. You are asking for a lot while wanting to pay very little.

If you adjust your price range look at:

Benchmade
Zero Tolerance
Strider
Crusader Forge
Hinderer XM-18 Gen 3

Emerson. I have owned an Emerson Super CQC-7 for well over 6 years as an EDC knife. It has the same amount of knicks, dings, and cuts that I do from my time in the Army.

It will not fail you.

I would suggest Strider based on their customer service....here are a few photos of the SMF (black G10) and SnG (Tan G10) next to a Benchmade to see the difference in blade thickness...

SMFVBM.jpg

SMFVBM1.jpg

SNGvBM2.jpg

SNGvBM3.jpg

I carry my ZT 0301 every day and have for years, you can't go wrong with that one in my opinion.

Dont discount ColdSteel!! They are built like tanks and even warranty their folders. Out of all the knives Ive had/used, the cold steel has done the best to hold an edge the longest while still being easy to sharpen.

Cold Steel Spartan is a pocket machete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.A.T.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cold Steel Spartan is a pocket machete
</div></div>
I have a ColdSteel Recon I and its a tank. Ive processed entire deer with it without having to resharpen. Also lost it in a snow bank for 10 days one time and found it when the snow melted. Sprayed it with WD40 and its still the smoothest opening knife I own!

http://www.coldsteel.com/reconi.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical .22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> However, finding a rugged, good quality, reliable folding knife that I can treat like a fixed blade is very difficult.
Around $100-200</div></div>

I would like a new pick-up truck, HD series, 3500 Diesel that can fit in a compact car spot in our parking garage.. that's around $15,000

H.E.S.T. folder. I have had mine since they were released and love it. It is about as stout as you can find, and I have had and still have more than my share of benchmade's, microtech's, ext.. I love my mini socom manual and still carry it from time to time, but it's a knife I would ever abuse.
http://dpxgear.com/

Zero Tolerance 0200. I have one and no one ever seems to mention how silky smooth it is. It's like its on ball bearing lathered in honey and angel tears. Yeah...that good. Not a liner lock fan but the one on this knife is big, beefy, no play yet releases very easily. I would easily pay twice as much for the knife so considered it is only a few bucks over $100 makes it a steal!

If assisted opening is wanted then my ZT0350 is great. It is very fast, thin and comfortable.

Basically I love ZT knives. Can't go wrong with anything from Kershaw Zero Tolerance.

Emerson.... I like my comander and want to get a cqc8... my folders dont really get "abused".

Now my fixed blades, well lets just say, I dont own a hatchet....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrtoyz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not in your price range, but of the most solid knives build. Meant to be USED. Own 2 carry one everyday. Love it.

http://www.chrisreeve.com/sebenza.htm
</div></div>

Looks nice, but I'd cry if I lost a $350 knife!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrtoyz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not in your price range, but of the most solid knives build. Meant to be USED. Own 2 carry one everyday. Love it.

</div></div>

Looks nice, but I'd cry if I lost a $350 knife! </div></div>

I actually started buying expensive knives to see if I wouldn't lose them. I can honestly tell you where every knife I own is. It works for me.

I've owned some of the thicker blades discussed thus far in this thread (ZT0300, Strider SMF, etc.) and while they are what I originally figured I'd like due to being a big fan of overkill, those thick blade folders can't cut & slice any better than an 8' 2x4" from Home Depot.

I'm back to a Spyderco Military which does everything well except for being a pry bar, and for that task I own an actual pry bar.

I'm going to have to disagree with you full heartedly on this one. My ZT0300 has a hell of an edge on it and the S30V steel holds that edge much better than the multiple spydercos I've owned.

I'm glad you like your 0300, I sold mine and haven't missed it. It's not edge retention that's the problem, it's blade width. That said, I'm glad you like it, it wasn't working out for me and the tasks I asked of it.

The CRKT Tac knives should fit what your after. Ive carried mine (M16-14d Kit Carson Tanto) on me for 4yrs (including in the sand box) and it hasnt failed yet. I wash it in hot water every so often to keep the dust out and Im good to go.

http://www.crkt.com/foldingtacticalknives

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BLAKSUNZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mrtoyz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not in your price range, but of the most solid knives build. Meant to be USED. Own 2 carry one everyday. Love it.

</div></div>

Looks nice, but I'd cry if I lost a $350 knife! </div></div>

I actually started buying expensive knives to see if I wouldn't lose them. I can honestly tell you where every knife I own is. It works for me. </div></div>

I lost my BM Mini Griptillian in the couch for a year. That's the only knife I've ever lost, and it's clipped to my pocket right now.

And I was pissed for that whole year!

I have a Spyderco H1 Delica that is rust proof even in saltwater it was made to be a saltwater commercial fishermans knife. It has all the requirements you listed and it was designed with the ability to be opened even when you have gloves on. It cost about $80.00 and if you have ever had any experience with spyderco they are extremely sharp and durable. It has a clip for carrying. I carry mine all the time and never even feel it

I love my ZT 301. I can't speak for the other knives but I recommend the ZT. Search some knife forums you can usually get a very good deal on high end knives that have very light use. Some knife guys are freaks and one tiny scratch they get rid of them and if it a carry it wont matter to you. I bought my from jerzee devil forum for 75 less than new.

My choice is the ZT350. It meets most of your criteria and has the best guarantee you'll find. Mine's seen heavy use for over a year with minor problems. The assisted opening can get slow but a cleanup in hot water and then lube fixes it. Blade edge gets small chips but this inherent with S30V. Some time on a stone will take care of that. In the winter, this knife is clipped to a jacket pocket or in the pocket of a rain jacket and will get light rust. Again, cleanup is easy.

I need a one-handed knife that is usable while wearing wet gloves and so far the 350 has been the best solution. It has replaced three Benchmade autos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H.E.S.T. folder. I have had mine since they were released and love it. It is about as stout as you can find, and I have had and still have more than my share of benchmade's, microtech's, ext.. I love my mini socom manual and still carry it from time to time, but it's a knife I would ever abuse.
http://dpxgear.com/ </div></div>

This will be my next knife when I can find one.

Like my 06 as well. Built like a tank.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dominique</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If its legal in your state , I recommend the Gerber 06 Automatic knife I was issued in the military . Great knifes, I own three and never failed .

http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/62 </div></div>

My pick is a Strider, the Strider guys also offer a Military/LE discount. They cost a little more, but will take care of business when needed.

Another vote for Strider. Buddy at work has the PT and SNG CC. They are solidly built and have really nice lockup. Made to be used.

I personally have an Emerson Roadhouse and it is my goto hard use knife.

Can someone suggest a high quality folding knife with a short blade, say 2" ? I just want something small, discreete but real quality. Thank you

My first post here, new to precision rifles, but not knives. You can't go wrong with a Chris Reeve Sebenza. Either the small or large, both are incredibly useful and tough. Sebenza literally means "work" and that's what they were made for. I carried one every day when I was a heavy equipment mechanic, and it never failed me. Hoses, belts, the heaviest cardboard container(a real test of edge holding ability) were no match for my Sebenza. You can sharpen it to a razor if you want and it will maintain a scary sharp edge through days of heavy use or weeks of everyday "normal" use. As far as the price, it's an investment in an everyday tool that you cam stake your life on. Would You rather depend on a Raven .25 or a Glock for self/ home defense? Not being a knife snob( I know some) but these are absolutely not in the same category as a Buck or Gerber or any other knife you will find at a big box or sporting goods store. It's a big expense but you won't have to buy another. Unles you want another
wink.gif

My wife and I don't have kids, but if we did I could leave my Sebenzas to them.

+1, As a diesel mech. myself I beat the snot out of my pocket knives, Ive got a bad habit of breaking the tips off. Ive had benchmades and currently have an emerson but my next will be either a sebenza or strider. Im leaning towards strider cause the tips look a little stronger. I look at it like the buku thousands of dollars of tools that I have to have a good pocket knife is an investment, and I need to be able to count on it all the time, and that dont come cheap.