• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hellfire Match barrel/adapter cleaning?

StrayDog

At large
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 25, 2010
    ME
    Are people leaving the Area419 brake adapters on for cleaning routines, or do you take them off for barrel/brake cleaning?

I am new the the adapter system, Area419 says leave it on, but I see my crown is pretty far recessed inside the adapter, and I can foresee some serious carbon buildup in there... I'll bet most buildup gets blasted out of there, but I'm guessing the adapter gets carbon locked on for the life of the barrel, lol?

How are folks cleaning inside and/or around the adapter with crowns recessed?

TIA Hide!

Are people leaving the Area419 brake adapters on for cleaning routines, or do you take them off for barrel/brake cleaning?

I am new the the adapter system, Area419 says leave it on, but I see my crown is pretty far recessed inside the adapter, and I can foresee some serious carbon buildup in there... I'll bet most buildup gets blasted out of there, but I'm guessing the adapter gets carbon locked on for the life of the barrel, lol?

How are folks cleaning inside and/or around the adapter with crowns recessed?

TIA Hide!
    I have never taken mine off unless for some reason I’m tearing the whole rifle down

I am not a fan of the brake mount cans as you are not able to access and clean the barrel crown. Even after 200 rounds it cakes on there pretty good. Now a part of my cleaning regiment is to bust out the barrel vise and remove the brake after every few matches.

I am not a fan of the brake mount cans as you are not able to access and clean the barrel crown. Even after 200 rounds it cakes on there pretty good. Now a part of my cleaning regiment is to bust out the barrel vise and remove the brake after every few matches.
    The 419 system is not a brake mount. It’s an adapter that goes on the threaded portion to accommodate almost any silencer. The crown is exposed and the adapter can easily be removed.

I have never taken mine off unless for some reason I’m tearing the whole rifle down
    If you leave them on, do you still clean inside the adapter? How? Thx
    How's it look in there after a few hundred rounds? Blown out, or cruddy AF? :ROFLMAO:
    I'm not using cans, brakes only.

anytime I clean my barrels, 6mm=500 rounds and 223=1000 rounds, I unscrew the adapters so I can clean the crown of the barrel. when I want to clean my brakes using "the dip", I'll soak everything the adapter and brake. the only thing I've not ever taken apart to clean is the adapter that screws into my suppressors. I just plug the end of the suppressor with a foam ear plug and fill the can with "the dip". make sure to let "the dip" solvent clean in a well ventilated room or outside and dispose of it properly. very toxic

If you leave them on, do you still clean inside the adapter? How? Thx
    How's it look in there after a few hundred rounds? Blown out, or cruddy AF? :ROFLMAO:
    I'm not using cans, brakes only.
    I mean it’s dirty but it isn’t gross and unmanageable. Anti seize on the threads helps too.

Reactions: StrayDog
    Just found this on their website, shoulda RTFM :LOL:
    • You should also clean your Universal Adapter with the same care. Every time you clean your barrel, let the carbon cleaner from patching the barrel soak on the muzzle for a few minutes and use a q-tip to wipe any carbon from the barrel crown and inside the end of the adapter. Soak a patch in carbon cleaner and wipe the taper surface of the adapter off. If there is persistent carbon on the surface, use steel wool to remove, it will not damage the surface.

I sold both my Hellfires because I got tired of taking the adaptor on off the clean the crown. They work good but I went back to the Little Bastard's

When you soak a patch and push it down the barrel it will squeegee all that fluid out the end and it will pool in the adaptor. I just take a paper towel at the end and cram it down in there and spin it around and it wipes the crown clean and absorb all of that pooled fluid.

Reactions: Baron23